• Record Label: Geffen
  • Release Date: Aug 31, 2004
7.7

Review this album

1. Aug 1, 2014
    Blood (Empty Promises) (8.5) This song has good heavy rock elements in it. The chorus is great but the beginning sounds a little off. The song really picks up later though and Papa Roach really starts to rock out. Overall, great song.

Not Listening (9) This song is really great and the catchy chorus hook with the heavy guitar is really awesome. Even though the lyrics repeat a little bit, this would be a really great song to mosh to or trash your room with or something like that if you're an angry teenager or something.

Start Looking Start Seeing (9) This song has great use of heavy instrumentals and good vocals as well. The screamo part is really great as well. Papa Roach always has had a great mainstream rock sound that is very melodic. Saying all this, the instrumentals are what make this song stand out to me.

Take Me (9) This song has a great message and gives the listener (well me at least) a great vibe, especially when the chorus kicks in. While I haven't listened to this album in quite some time, up to this point, it is very consistent.

Getting Away With Murder (9.25) One of my favorite mainstream Papa Roach songs of all time. I really like listening to the instrumental on YouTube as well. The aggressive lyrics in the chorus really make this stand out as one of my favorite hard rock songs of all time. The heavy guitar element in the middle of the song is really great as well, along with how the tone of the song kind of changes to more screamo.

Be Free (8) I really don't like drinking and I don't like drunks but it's whatever. The tone of the album kind of changes on this song and even though I like the tone, I don't like it as much as the songs in the beginning of the album. But the chorus has a good little catchy tune. The guitar is good as usual.

Done With You (8) This song has a little bit of an emo topic to it and that's fine. It just talks about negative stuff alot and that's not a good way to think. The guitar solo near the middle of the song really lets me keep the score at a solid 8 and I'm glad because I remember listening to Papa Roach's Infest album alot when I growing up. It also continues to talk about elements of alcoholism and I despise alcohol.

Scars (8.5) This was the second single off this record I believe (after Getting Away With Murder), and while it has a okay tune, I really don't connect with it. At this point, I really don't want to hear about alcohol anymore but I understand that Papa Roach is the artist and I would assume that maybe they have had struggled with alcohol in their life.

Sometimes (9) This song really starts to hit hard after the acoustic portion in the beginning. It's also great how Papa Roach changes the tempo and the sound throughout the song. The melodic instrumentals/lyrics and the guitar solo for the matter really helped me keep this score high.

Blanket Of Fear (8.5) I love how this track starts heavy and stays heavy. It's a catchy tune throughout the track and the interesting guitar elements within the piece, really add a great flair to the song and really shows Papa Roach's artistic ability.

Tyranny Of Normality (8.5) I really connect with the title of this song. An average life for any young person in this day and age is depressing. I really don't understand people who can actually wake up, go to work, come home, and go out to eat and have their friends over for the weekends and call that fun. Einstein's whole spiel of insanity really started hitting home with me as I got older.

Do Or Die (8) This track has a great message to wrap up the album I think. The lyrics kind of repeat but that is common in punkish rock even though this really isn't really punk rock. It's more like heavy rock but not quite heavy metal.
  2. RandyB
    Jul 28, 2006
    It won't incite musical revolutions, but GETTING AWAY WITH MURDER is mostly a sucessful record of crafted heavy pop rock. Lyrically, Papa Roach is much like Linkin Park in that they seem to explore similar themes in all their songs, but Shaddix keeps from being terribly cliched by also punching out a couple of pretty good politically motivated rockers ("Not Listening", "Tyranny of It won't incite musical revolutions, but GETTING AWAY WITH MURDER is mostly a sucessful record of crafted heavy pop rock. Lyrically, Papa Roach is much like Linkin Park in that they seem to explore similar themes in all their songs, but Shaddix keeps from being terribly cliched by also punching out a couple of pretty good politically motivated rockers ("Not Listening", "Tyranny of Normality") and also not rhyming words like "mad" with "sad" or "bad". In the end, any flaws that might accompany MURDER (the ultra-cliche of "Scars" for example) don't matter; it's a pretty good show. Expand
  3. LHT'sBiggestFan
    Mar 7, 2006
    I thought LHT was an awesome album, so when I heard the first 5 songs of GAWM I thought it was gonna rock. On those songs, Papa Roach took the great hard rock style of LHT and pushed it a little bit further. Then I heard the 6th song and it all went downhill, with a weak Jet rip-off followed by identikit pop and some weak rock songs for good measure. The overall impression I got was it I thought LHT was an awesome album, so when I heard the first 5 songs of GAWM I thought it was gonna rock. On those songs, Papa Roach took the great hard rock style of LHT and pushed it a little bit further. Then I heard the 6th song and it all went downhill, with a weak Jet rip-off followed by identikit pop and some weak rock songs for good measure. The overall impression I got was it was too light and poppy, whereas LHT was heavy and dark, and I hope that is the direction they take on their next album. Collapse
  4. MIKE
    May 6, 2005
    i lit my pain on fire and i watched it all burn down, now im dancing in the ashes and there's no pone else around... fucking awesome
  5. AlyssaF
    Mar 22, 2005
    i think this cd was good. some songs are a different side of papa roach, but i like the lyrics. They have some feelings and i believe that it's the best cd i've bought all year.
  6. robt
    Mar 13, 2005
    Infest was a 10. LHT was a 5. GAWM is somewhere in the middle. Papa Roach stuck with the singing over the rapping agenda as expressed by Coby Dick (yes P. Roach was the shit when he went by that name so im going to use it) before the relase of LHT. This time it went over much better than before. Personally, I was highly pissed off when I bought LHT and stuck it in for the first time Infest was a 10. LHT was a 5. GAWM is somewhere in the middle. Papa Roach stuck with the singing over the rapping agenda as expressed by Coby Dick (yes P. Roach was the shit when he went by that name so im going to use it) before the relase of LHT. This time it went over much better than before. Personally, I was highly pissed off when I bought LHT and stuck it in for the first time because of the change in style. It grew on me somewhat but never caught on totally. I still sometimes listen to Infest like I bought it yesterday. GAWM was an entirely different inception for me over LHT. I expected it to be singing and less rappibng (or in this case none), albeit i wanted to hear more rapping and less singing. However, the end result is a completely different sounding Papa Roach. Die hard fans will like, and fair weather ones will not. They did a better job this time, but I'm sure all of us would like to see Papa Roach return to their roots one last time before they fizzle out with the commercial world and media. One more thing does have me pissed off though: Everyone wants to see growth and change. Papa Roach tried to do that with their past two ablums and have been slapped in the face for it. I say, 'If you've got a working formula, sick with it. After all if it aint broke dont fix it.' I would have accepted a carbon copy of Infest over LHT and loved it 10 times more. Anyways, someone talk to Papa Roach and the guys and tell them to give us what we want!!!! Expand
  7. Eposivia
    Mar 11, 2005
    Papa roach keep getting me going, The voice of Jacoby is sooo strong, the bass talent of Tobin is also amazing, and Jerry and Dave, play sooo well, This album is about rythem, feelings, agression etc. I was quite suprised first time I heard it, was this really Papa Roach, Only thing I can say The growed, after infest, the already did a really great job on Lovehatetragedy were they also Papa roach keep getting me going, The voice of Jacoby is sooo strong, the bass talent of Tobin is also amazing, and Jerry and Dave, play sooo well, This album is about rythem, feelings, agression etc. I was quite suprised first time I heard it, was this really Papa Roach, Only thing I can say The growed, after infest, the already did a really great job on Lovehatetragedy were they also growed, But GAWN is so strong... It really get you trilled and listen it over and over again... YEAH VIVA LA CUCKARACHA Expand
  8. EliJ
    Jan 28, 2005
    It is not what you would expect when you put it in the first time but listen to it a few times, i found my self really liking it. Allittle less crazy, but still now whimpy, nice chill album.
  9. JohnH
    Jan 16, 2005
    Well im from Mexico so my english may not be very good. anyway I think this album is not even close to Infest thats for sure but is better than the last one, when it looked like the end of P.Roach. This is harder and agressive, and for the people who thought paparoach was dead well this is a prove that is not even close. The only problem for the fans of PR is that the band we knew, might Well im from Mexico so my english may not be very good. anyway I think this album is not even close to Infest thats for sure but is better than the last one, when it looked like the end of P.Roach. This is harder and agressive, and for the people who thought paparoach was dead well this is a prove that is not even close. The only problem for the fans of PR is that the band we knew, might never come back. Lets see what hapen. Expand
  10. TedS
    Oct 30, 2004
    There's one review you didn't include on here, that I pretty much agree with. It's Revolver magazine's review, saying Papa Roach's pummeling lacks purpose.
  11. AlexK
    Oct 21, 2004
    The song "Getting Away With Murder" is a great song but im not really crazy about the hole album...
  12. yrvyu
    Sep 19, 2004
    incredible`
  13. Brian
    Sep 13, 2004
    A lot better than I thought it would be. Fans who were disapointed with lovehatetragedy should give this one a try...

1. The new songs are thrashing hard rock that always pays attention to melody.
  2. With Getting Away With Murder, Papa Roach offer fans of this sound an appropriately hard punch in the face. But there's a hollow sound as the bones collapse, because all that's supporting it is expensive art direction and a big scaffold of clichés.
  3. It seems Shaddix still writes most of his songs in purple ink in diaries with little locks on. [28 Aug 2004, p.56]