• Record Label: Merge
8.9

Review this album

1. ElizabethP
    Sep 27, 2005
    This cd is the most disappointing album since Bloc Party's "Silent Alarm." There are only 2 songs that are good: "Weight of the World" and "Camera." Don't buy this! You will be SOOOOOOOO disappointed! Don't throw your money away!
  2. LyleB
    Jul 10, 2006
    very unlistenable
  3. RickyR.
    Jan 20, 2010
    Simple album from a simple band. Decent.
  4. Nov 22, 2010
    Every person who likes rock should own this album. Dark, polished, concise, crafty, witty. Is it Britt Daniel or John Lennon singing on this album? Man, does he have a great voice! All songs on this album are amazing. Great guitar riffs and pop classic feel to this album. My favorite Spoon song is on this album... I Summon You. This is my favorite Spoon album (that is saying a lot),Every person who likes rock should own this album. Dark, polished, concise, crafty, witty. Is it Britt Daniel or John Lennon singing on this album? Man, does he have a great voice! All songs on this album are amazing. Great guitar riffs and pop classic feel to this album. My favorite Spoon song is on this album... I Summon You. This is my favorite Spoon album (that is saying a lot), one of the decade's best overall. Expand
  5. JimC
    May 9, 2005
    Another amazing effort from a band that gets better with less. After a few listens, you'll undoubtedly be hooked.
  6. JackP
    May 9, 2005
    It's always seemed to me absurd to rank bands' records relative to each other, but what the heck: this is very possibly Spoon's best record yet. Fantastic.
  7. DanS
    May 9, 2005
    Another masterpiece from Britt Daniel!
  8. EricW
    Great follow up to Kill the Moonlight
  9. AshleyM
    May 10, 2005
    This album is destined to be a classic. I was expecting more of Kill The Moonlight but this album overshadows all of their earlier efforts. It sounds like Revolver!
  10. haydenr
    May 10, 2005
    Fantastic! One of the best of the year.
  11. RichT.
    May 10, 2005
    Varied is the word. From the surprising Scissor Sisters-esque sound of 'I Turn My Camera On', through to the minimal, but wonderful, 'I Summon You', and the more conventional Spoon tunes, like 'Sister Jack' & 'The Beast & Dragon, Adored', this album will surprise and delight.
  12. JuanZ
    May 10, 2005
    Indie masterpiece. "I turn my camera on" and "My mathematical mind" the highlights. Prepare to listen 3-4 of the best Spoon's songs ever.
  13. JoshuaE
    May 10, 2005
    Flows through many different styles and hits all of them amazingly well. This is a very powerful "rock & roll" record -- raw and polished at the same time -- a gem in a sea of coal.
  14. mikes
    May 11, 2005
    Like all spoon albums, its a keeper....not quite kill the moonlight but almost there.
  15. PaulN
    May 11, 2005
    Critics just don't get Spoon, but I do, and they're my favorite band. One Spoon song is worth 100 Fiery Furnaces songs to me.
  16. AndyK
    May 11, 2005
    This album is increadible on so many levels. Though Spoon consitently creates albums with no filler, this time around they have created an album with a perfect flow. It has ups and downs, evoking a wide range of emotions, and somehow being serious and honest while maintaining Spoon's trademark playfulness. In all this is a perfect album and I Summon You is perhaps one of the most This album is increadible on so many levels. Though Spoon consitently creates albums with no filler, this time around they have created an album with a perfect flow. It has ups and downs, evoking a wide range of emotions, and somehow being serious and honest while maintaining Spoon's trademark playfulness. In all this is a perfect album and I Summon You is perhaps one of the most chilingly beautiful songs I have ever heard. Expand
  17. ChelseaD
    May 11, 2005
    AMAZING album. This is a band that just get better and better with every release.
  18. RichardS.
    May 12, 2005
    Not as immediately memorable as Kill the Moonlight, but still a good album nonetheless.
  19. JeffMH
    May 12, 2005
    Fantastic album. A more straightfoward rocker than Kill the Moonlight, but no less transcendent. Spoon maintain their status as one of the most interesting and inventive rock bands around these days.
  20. AaronS
    May 12, 2005
    Yet another great disc from Spoon. Very highly recommended!!
  21. FrankW
    May 13, 2005
    The starkness of Kill the Moonlight, the warm, smooth beats of Girls Can Tell, the pure energy of A Series of Sneaks have impossibly combined to form Spoon's most complete album and the best album released so far this year.
  22. MichaelB
    May 13, 2005
    This album might at first seem like a disappointment, but let it sit with you -- or, like all Spoon albums, it will lodge itself in your brain and not let you forget it. This definitely deserves its place among the brilliant series of albums started with A Series of Sneaks, and for the first half, blows even those away. Denser, darker, and more solid than Kill the Moonlight, this one will This album might at first seem like a disappointment, but let it sit with you -- or, like all Spoon albums, it will lodge itself in your brain and not let you forget it. This definitely deserves its place among the brilliant series of albums started with A Series of Sneaks, and for the first half, blows even those away. Denser, darker, and more solid than Kill the Moonlight, this one will be looked on as their true classic. Expand
  23. JonathanM
    May 13, 2005
    The album is overly restrained, lacking the impulsive outbursts of their previous work.
  24. WarrenP
    May 14, 2005
    Spoon is awesome!
  25. DaveF
    May 16, 2005
    Maybe it's unfair to compare Gimmie Fiction to Kill the Moonlight. While Kill the Moonlight was enthralling in its sparseness, Gimmie Fiction is more pensive. Still, there are some real bang-up tracks such as the opener and "I Turn My Camera On". The record has a rich, soulful feel--I just wish the songs were a bit more fleshed-out. Then again, maybe that's the whole point.
  26. JackPot
    May 17, 2005
    Gimme Fiction's first four songs are as good as the first four songs on any album in recent memory. This is the sound of a band at the top of its game.
  27. daved
    May 20, 2005
    Spoon has lost just about all of the sense of urgency that made their previous records great. Girls Can Tell and Kill the Moonlight sounded like they were going to change music, this just sounds like a MOR band trying to improve their reputation by ripping Lennon/Bowie formulas and throwing in a garage beat on occasion. They sound old and tired. Not that that's a bad thing, as bands Spoon has lost just about all of the sense of urgency that made their previous records great. Girls Can Tell and Kill the Moonlight sounded like they were going to change music, this just sounds like a MOR band trying to improve their reputation by ripping Lennon/Bowie formulas and throwing in a garage beat on occasion. They sound old and tired. Not that that's a bad thing, as bands like Wrens and the Go-Betweens released great pop gems well into their later years, but the songwriting here seems like a big step back from GCT and KtM.. Weak melodies, weaker lyrics, no sense of purpose (Really, waht is the point of a song like I Turn My Camera On?). The best track here is Was It You?, a haunting minimal track light on lyrics and structure. I hope they go back to the drawing room for their next record, and maybe they could use that track as a starting point. In any case, this is a real let-down, though admittedly one that could still grow on me a bit. Expand
  28. KatieC
    May 20, 2005
    not as immediately catchy as their previous albums, but still good spoon
  29. benm.
    May 23, 2005
    a couple of great songs thrown in with the sort of indistinguishable, if solid, filler that rounds out most of their discs. they still haven't topped "girls can tell".
  30. BenJ
    May 25, 2005
    How can I have only found out about this band now?! This band and this album are amazing!

1. The overall effect can be vaguely schizo -- many of these tracks seem more like cool fragments than true songs.
  2. Under The Radar
    There is no "The Way We Get By" on this record, as this is far more an album of interlocking pieces than an album of singles that neither makes a naked grab for the turnstiles nor an uprecedented reach for reinvention. [#9]
  3. It is phenomenal.