Good Kid, M.A.A.D City

9.1

Review this album

1. Jul 22, 2013
    Solid gold west coast classic. Whilst clearly drawing inspiration from 90's dominator's Dre and Snoop, Lamarr twists his slightly nasal drawl around fresh beats that dazzle, yet linger in the memory. There's a beguiling quality to the production, which often sounds dark and melancholy, suiting the tales of everyday gang violence and inner turmoil. Put simply, Kendrick Lamarr proves himselfSolid gold west coast classic. Whilst clearly drawing inspiration from 90's dominator's Dre and Snoop, Lamarr twists his slightly nasal drawl around fresh beats that dazzle, yet linger in the memory. There's a beguiling quality to the production, which often sounds dark and melancholy, suiting the tales of everyday gang violence and inner turmoil. Put simply, Kendrick Lamarr proves himself THE next rap talent, and has overtaken Kanye West as the worlds best performer of the genre. This is how I felt when I listened to Fleet Foxes début back in 2008. This, definitively, is the start of something very special Expand
  2. Apr 4, 2013
    If there is such thing as a perfect album this would be it. Kendrick Lamar's debut album couldn't have been any better, the subject matter of living in a deprived neighborhood, riddled with drugs and gang violence is told greatly by Kendrick. The album as a whole is very cohesive and flows smoothly all the way through, listening to one track simply makes me want to listen to more.If there is such thing as a perfect album this would be it. Kendrick Lamar's debut album couldn't have been any better, the subject matter of living in a deprived neighborhood, riddled with drugs and gang violence is told greatly by Kendrick. The album as a whole is very cohesive and flows smoothly all the way through, listening to one track simply makes me want to listen to more. Kendrick's writing ability is quiet impressive, with some very introspective songs and also some songs about the harsh reality of living in the ghetto. Kendrick brings you into his life with this album and does an excellent job by doing so he puts the listener in his shoes. The production is flawless with great melodies and mixing. Overall this project is the definition of a master piece a future classic, the illmatic of the new era some would say, Kendrick again delivers another great project and has raised the bar for himself and all his hip hop peers around him. Expand
  3. Apr 7, 2013
    This generations "ILLMATIC". Mr. Lamar has done it again and has finally established himself as one of the top emcees in the game. Its is one of those albums that you can play all the way through from start to finish.
  4. Apr 8, 2013
    There is a lot to say about this album. Production was solid, his flow was decent (but fitting), and the features were great. However the story is what had me hooked.

It starts out with Kendrick, a 17 year old in Compton, stealing his moms van to go to a party. To obtain the van he tells his parents that he is going to Domino's. To keep this simple I will tell the basics! He meets a girl named Sherane, who he has sex with even though he is skeptical of her family's tough lifestyle. Next he goes to hang out with his friends, who also have been sucked into the ignorant violent teenage stereotype. They tell him to bring his freestyles and the listener notices that Kendrick is acting different then he was in the past two songs. He is quite brag worthy and raps about and his dick. However in the next song he says he only acts stupid because he's "with the homies." In this song he also talks about robbing houses when he's with his friends. While he is chilling with his friends, he thinks about Sherane and soon realizes that he is in love. After this song (Poetic Justice), he leaves his friends to see Sherane, but gets jumped by her cousins. After getting jumped Kendrick reminisces and gets depressed. He thinks about all the violence and gangs in Compton. Through all this he ends up in a party where he wants to drink because of all he is going through. A man at the party helps him and then his conscious takes play and helps him get out of this new feeling. Simultaneously, his friends are trying to kill Sherane's cousins because they attacked Kendrick earlier. They shoot one of her cousins, but one of Kendrick's friends brothers gets killed in the rubble. This sends all of Kendrick's homies and Kendrick into another angry frenzy where Kendrick goes over all the depressing dangers and problems in Compton (Sing About Me/ I'm Dying of Thirst.) In between Sing About Me and I'm Dying of Thirst, a preacher from the church goes up to Kendrick's homies and tells them that they are dying of thirst. This means that they need to refresh their values with god. After Dying of Thirst, Kendrick's mom calls him, which she has many times in the album telling him to get Dominoes and to give back her van. By now Kendrick's mom just wants him to one day return and she hopes that he can teach lessons to the "black and brown kids of Compton." and she hopes that he will be successful in the music career. Kendrick calls his mom in the Deluxe edition and tells her he will be home soon thus ending the album.

Album of the Year?
  5. May 27, 2013
    The production is spot on but that's not the only good thing about this album. The lyricism is amazing and the album tells a fascinating story about life in Compton. This album is simply amazing and is a must buy.
  6. Jun 10, 2013
    The best Hip Hop album that has come out in last few years. Kendrick is a master of story telling and the album is more cohesive than ever. He delivers with diverse but unifying songs that make this story of the good kid in a MAAD City one for ages.
  7. Jun 18, 2013
    A short 'film' by Kendrick Lamar... never has an album been more appropriately titled.

90% of rap albums are mere playlists, this is an album.. and more. ’good kid, m.A.A.d city’ has so much depth, it demands close inspection, this is the most expansive project I've ever heard, light years ahead of Section 80. The lyrics themselves are technical masterpieces, full of layered rhythms and meanings. The production is captivating, Kendrick’s lyrical prowess and vivid storytelling come to life like scenes from a movie.

Minor imperfections are dwarfed by it’s excellence, insignificant in the grand scheme of things. When you hear an album you can recognise instantaneously if it's a classic or not, GKMC is unequivocally a classic. In context (the current rap climate) it’s quite possibly the greatest accomplishment in Hip Hop history. Universally critically acclaimed, even the most hardheaded critics are raving about it, case in point.. Anthony Fantano (Needledrop). This album is high art, Kendrick Lamar.. dubbed as 'raps saviour' by the wider Hip Hop community has delivered!, rejoice.
  8. Jun 18, 2013
    Now everybody…”serenade to the new faith of Kendrick Lamar”.
    King Kendrick Lamar has ascended to the throne of rap.
    Now everybody…”serenade to the new faith of Kendrick Lamar”.
    King Kendrick Lamar has ascended to the throne of rap.

good kid, m.a.a.d. city, the newest EP from Compton citizen and Dr. Dre protege Kendrick Lamar is an album not to be trifled with. The 25-year exploded onto the rap scene this past year with his new release, and ever since, he has almost become a household name. GKMC is almost more of an audio book than an album (or a “short film” for that matter), but that’s only because of Kendrick’s intensive and intriguing storytelling skills. The concept presented in this album gives the listener a front-row POV as Kendrick discusses a memoir from a self-proclaimed “good kid” turned to his hoodrat ways by the “maad city” that is Compton. Kendrick tells the tales of lust, fame, underage drinking and drug-doing, robbery, life, the presentation of death and the fear of it, the past, present, and future, money, gang violence, and the numerous ways that damn girl Sherane got him into all kinds of shenanigans. Lamar compares these topics in a way that has been rarely heard in precedent rap recordings with his incredible use of internal rhyme, and just the overall rhyme scheme in general. The production provides a smooth transition of flow across the entire album that leads you right into the next song. The structure of the songs are each differently assembled that no two songs really sound alike, attributing to the variety of issues he speaks about on the album.
    I really enjoyed the voicemail messages and outside recordings of the album’s characters. They show you a further insight into the song and help you better visualize what point Lamar is trying to get across.
    I also really found the way that Lamar switched up his voice to accentuate the different mindsets, characters, and moods he was using. You can hear the difference when he switches moods: from hyped to calm to sad to angry, and even from his regular voice to his high-pitched and low-pitched crooning, which reminded me of the psychological tripartite theory of Freud’s: the id, the ego, and the superego. Three mindsets crowd Lamar’s thoughts at times and you can hear it.
    I would have really liked to hear more about Sherane, or Lamar’s parents in the songs. Their characters intrigued me from the beginning and I was hooked instantly, especially seeing Sherane being compared to a TMNT character in the first song.
    Regardless, the production, feel, mood, lyrics, story, and flow on this album all combine to make a fantastic piece of music and create a new insight into the lives of the people in Compton.
    I definitely recommend listening to the full album straight through to get the full experience, also.
  9. Jun 19, 2013
    Good god, I havent heard an album like this in a GOOD minute. I will actually purchase this rather than download it. If hip hop artist pumped out more stuff like this, labels could move units like it was '98.
  10. Jun 19, 2013
    One of the best album I have heard these last 7 years.

Everything about the the beats on GKMC --hell, everything about that album-- was meticulously thought out and executed in intricate fashion.
  11. Jun 19, 2013
    wow, classic album.
    Very few rappers can tell a story like that over a complete album. He takes a rather simple concept and transforms it into a unique introspective story that draws the listeners in by connecting with its audience. Not one song is alike, each song is in a different style and delivery. And the song mAAd city has out of this world flow.
  12. Jun 21, 2013
    The best recent rap album in memory, Kendrick Lamar combines lyricism, storytelling, and production masterfully to create an instant classic. The story, told immediately as the album begins, explores Kendrick's day in Compton. He delves into issues, such as gang violence, love (or lust), stereotypes in this day of a 17-year-old. The skits accentuate the songs, songs loop into each other,The best recent rap album in memory, Kendrick Lamar combines lyricism, storytelling, and production masterfully to create an instant classic. The story, told immediately as the album begins, explores Kendrick's day in Compton. He delves into issues, such as gang violence, love (or lust), stereotypes in this day of a 17-year-old. The skits accentuate the songs, songs loop into each other, and the beats between songs keep the listener hooked. The album itself is an experience similar to watching a great movie. Its only negatives are the hooks can be a little strange, and some may find his voice annoying, though these are very insignificant issues when looking at the album as a whole. Multiple listens are advised. Expand
  13. Oct 20, 2013
    This album is special, we follow Kendrick Lamar through the album in a very exciting storytelling, and addictive tracks like Swimming Pools, Backseat, Don't Kill My Vibe, Money Trees, Etc. This isn't a album you will get bored of after a couple of months, you will always be able to bump this, and that shows Kendrick is capable of producing timeless music. 10/10
  14. Nov 17, 2013
    The best hip-hop/rap album of 2012. Section.80 sure as hell got my curiosity, but Good Kid, M.A.A.D City had my attention. Every production of this album is solid. All the tracks are easy to fall in love with. A masterpiece.
  15. May 11, 2014
    Best Rap album ever released imo, so many tracks that keep on giving with every listen. He's a lyrical genius, with the flow to match. I had to listen through a few times before being rewarded, generally the sign of a great album.
    Saw kDot in a smallish show before he got super famous......best concert I've ever been to.
    Standout tracks: M.A.A.D City, **** Don't Kill My Vibe, Swimming

Standout tracks: M.A.A.D City, **** Don't Kill My Vibe, Swimming Pools, The Art of Peer Pressure, Money Trees, Backstreet Freestyle
  16. Nov 1, 2013
    I am a big hip hop/rap fan, yet never really listened to kendrick lamar. I bought this album simply by going how high it's rated, and I have to say its one of the best albums I've Heard. The album represents different scenarios in his life growing up In Compton. Each song is fairly unique to the next and the album is definitely a game changer. I'll definitely be listening to kendrickI am a big hip hop/rap fan, yet never really listened to kendrick lamar. I bought this album simply by going how high it's rated, and I have to say its one of the best albums I've Heard. The album represents different scenarios in his life growing up In Compton. Each song is fairly unique to the next and the album is definitely a game changer. I'll definitely be listening to kendrick lamar a whole lot more and purchase the next album kendrick has to offer out the brilliance of this one. GKMC 10/10 Expand
  17. Dec 6, 2013
    This is a classic, arguably the greatest hip hop album ever. The album is a masterpiece, on the same level as Illmatic as far as albums go. Each song takes you on a journey. This is my favorite album of all time, regardless of genre.
  18. Aug 26, 2014
    This album is a hip-hop classic and in my opinion, ranks in the top 3 rap albums of the decade, thus far. This album is so good that when you listen to it, you can envision everything that is happening. It's a shame that Kendrick didn't win the Grammy for Best Rap Album because this album is on another level.
  19. Feb 25, 2014
    By far my favorite album to listen to since it came out in 2012. I loved the storyline that Kendrick made for this album. His lyrics are also some of the best lyrics that I've listened to on not just any hip hop album, but out of any album that I've sat down and listened to. The lyrics are deep and meaningful, but still have an incredible rhythm and flow to them that never get old. TheBy far my favorite album to listen to since it came out in 2012. I loved the storyline that Kendrick made for this album. His lyrics are also some of the best lyrics that I've listened to on not just any hip hop album, but out of any album that I've sat down and listened to. The lyrics are deep and meaningful, but still have an incredible rhythm and flow to them that never get old. The beats to the songs are different and I love when they change in the middle of a song to a new unique beat. All in all one of my favorite albums to listen to and it truly doesn't get old. I have listened to it over and over without growing bored or tired of listening to it. Expand
  20. Jan 29, 2014
    I can't imagine anyone with a half-way decent taste in music writing this album off as something less than extraordinary. Kendrick Lamar is standing up straight and ready to change the game, and it's only his first big album debut. His platinum album Good Kid, m.A.A.d. city is a game changer. His flow is versatile, his lyrics are real without succumbing to the boring, tastelessI can't imagine anyone with a half-way decent taste in music writing this album off as something less than extraordinary. Kendrick Lamar is standing up straight and ready to change the game, and it's only his first big album debut. His platinum album Good Kid, m.A.A.d. city is a game changer. His flow is versatile, his lyrics are real without succumbing to the boring, tasteless story-telling flow that many rappers easily fall in to. His content is refreshing, and a little (or alotta) executive production from Dr. Dre never hurt anyone, right?
    The album progresses like a short film. It is incredibly artistic and very real life, with an almost uncomfortable look into his personal life thanks to skits and phone calls from his mom. His struggle with faith, Sherane, and life on the streets of Compton are unfiltered and excellently told. There is no "throw-away" song.
    Stand out tracks on this album include: every song on the album.
  21. Jan 30, 2014
    this is definitely the best album I have heard these last 5 years. This or MBDTF. congrats to kendrick for making classic albums.
    A1 lyrics, A1 beats, A1 cohesiveness, A1 flow, A1 music
  22. Mar 3, 2014
    This is the best album I have ever heard. Kendrick Lamar deserves the title King Kendrick Lamar. The beats are weird but so amazing. The best two songs from the album are: Backseat Freestyle and m.A.A.d City. The track I could have done without is: Real. So I give this album a 10 out of 10. Thanks for reading.
  23. Apr 16, 2014
    Kendrick Lamar conseguiu me fazer voltar a escutar hip hop/rap. Esse disco mostra como um bom album do genero deve ser feito, diferente de muitos outros que rolam por ai, ''Good Kid M.A.A.D City'' é sensacional do começo ao fim. Com seu clima um tanto pesado mas sem perder sua essencia, o album é, com certeza, um dos melhores discos de hip hop da década.
  24. Mar 31, 2014
    All hail the new king of Hip-hop! At last, a true saviour of Hip-hop has finally arrive. Of course, I'm not saying that hip hop is dead before Kendrick Lamar burst into the scene. There was 2010's My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, but Kanye's last album was like an arthouse project with a huge-ass budget instead of a true blue hip hop album. Not since Illmatic, had an album produce soAll hail the new king of Hip-hop! At last, a true saviour of Hip-hop has finally arrive. Of course, I'm not saying that hip hop is dead before Kendrick Lamar burst into the scene. There was 2010's My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, but Kanye's last album was like an arthouse project with a huge-ass budget instead of a true blue hip hop album. Not since Illmatic, had an album produce so much hype over being an instant hip hop classic. However, Good Kid, M.A.A.D City is not an instant hip hop classic. It is THE INSTANT **** CLASSIC. The whole album plays out like an autobiography of Kendrick's life as a kid growing in the mad city known as Compton. From meeting with a girl in a club to meeting with rival gangs to a death of a peer, it plays out like a Scorsese film, grittiness and all. Now, here comes the point where I will wax lyrical about Kendrick the new King and saviour of hip hop. There's his wordplay, the flows every time he's on the mic, the storytelling, it all sums up perfectly in this album the reason why people rank him on par with Tupac, Eminem, Rakim and Nas. In fact, screw that. Non-hip hop listeners would probably fall for this album too with its top notch production quality. Overall, this is hands down the best album of 2012 bar none. All hail King Kendrick! Expand
  25. Mar 4, 2016
    This is one of the greatest hip-hop albums ever. Yeah, that's true. Kendrick Lamar's lyrics tell us about his boyhood in Compton - with all the good and the bad experiences typical of the growth - while he raps over some damn well-produced beats. The flow is amazing, it changes from being smooth and relaxed **** Don't Kill My Vibe", "Sherane", "Swimming Pools") to being aggressive andThis is one of the greatest hip-hop albums ever. Yeah, that's true. Kendrick Lamar's lyrics tell us about his boyhood in Compton - with all the good and the bad experiences typical of the growth - while he raps over some damn well-produced beats. The flow is amazing, it changes from being smooth and relaxed **** Don't Kill My Vibe", "Sherane", "Swimming Pools") to being aggressive and frustrated ("Backset Freestyle", "m.A.A.d City"). Kendrick proves not only to be the greatest rapper of our generation, but also one of the best songwriter of the last 10 years. Expand
  26. Dec 17, 2014
    This is a modern rap & hip-hop classic album. It has cemented Kendrick Lamar as one of the best and if not the best hip hop artist today. This album is most likely the best album of the decade and it has helped revive mainstream west coast hip hop without sacrificing lyrics. It has great production and it is socially conscious about what was going on in his hometown of Compton, California.This is a modern rap & hip-hop classic album. It has cemented Kendrick Lamar as one of the best and if not the best hip hop artist today. This album is most likely the best album of the decade and it has helped revive mainstream west coast hip hop without sacrificing lyrics. It has great production and it is socially conscious about what was going on in his hometown of Compton, California. He is like the west coast version of Nas with left side beats. It is very unlikely that any rapper soon well be able to make a better album than this one and specially a major label debut like this one. Expand
  27. May 8, 2014
    Lamar's ode to gangsta rap leaves the listener in awe and wanting more. His vivid lyrics and banging beats help out his cause as well. An improvement from Kendrick's previous installments (Section .80 & O.verly D.edicated) this one has a heart and soul to it that cannot be compared.
  28. May 16, 2014
    Kendrick's second studio album. and wow this thing was great ,Kendrick's smooth fast flow that changes with the topic he's rapping about. the production on this was impressive, the beats that he chose where perfect with what kendrick chose to rap about. each song on this is done really well, the lyrics throughout this album tell a story, like the skits at the end of every songs fit inKendrick's second studio album. and wow this thing was great ,Kendrick's smooth fast flow that changes with the topic he's rapping about. the production on this was impressive, the beats that he chose where perfect with what kendrick chose to rap about. each song on this is done really well, the lyrics throughout this album tell a story, like the skits at the end of every songs fit in well. very impressed with this album, a must get! Expand
  29. Jun 30, 2014
    In this album I have everything I could ask for: Excellent and diverse production, top lyricism, a story you can relate to even if it's not in the same context or topic you feel related. Also you have life-changing tracks along with dark subjects, love songs, struggle anthems, motivation, positive thinking in **** up situations, it may even be a therapy session if you feel the need of one.In this album I have everything I could ask for: Excellent and diverse production, top lyricism, a story you can relate to even if it's not in the same context or topic you feel related. Also you have life-changing tracks along with dark subjects, love songs, struggle anthems, motivation, positive thinking in **** up situations, it may even be a therapy session if you feel the need of one. You can describe this album with the word Visionary, because Kendrick's vision becomes an universal feeling, a need, a thought, once you listen to it, questions come and go, answers start to pop out even, when you did not know the question. I thank Kendrick, and I know it looks like I'm dickriding, but i gotta do it, because there's too much gratitude, enjoyment, suffering and over all those things, a change in myself, that I got with this project. I don't know if anyone feels the same, but that's how I feel about this album. Just my opinion. Expand
  30. Mar 22, 2015
    9.0/10................................................................................................................................................

1. Jan 24, 2013
    The quotidian problems and longings of the title track making up the real heart of the album, a rough and tumble struggle to the top.
  2. Jan 10, 2013
    In another rapper's hands the concepts might have been overcooked or the messages too self-righteous, but Kendrick manages to achieve scale while remaining firmly grounded on two feet.
  3. Dec 21, 2012
    This is the best rap album of 2012--not just because of champion verses and immaculate drops, but because they recognize that the most brilliant foreground only shines against a well-defined backdrop.