Good Kid, M.A.A.D City

9.0

Review this album

1. Aug 9, 2016
    10.0
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
  2. May 25, 2016
    92/100. There aren't many albums that you can listen to all the way through and enjoy every single song on it, but this is one of those. Kendrick made an album here that will provide classics for years to come.
  3. Apr 4, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This has probably one of my favorite albums of all times. Kendrick hit all the key points into making a great album. His album contains a great lyrical content, the beats are on point, its relatable, and the whole album has somewhat of a story line;

Lyrical content;
    Its not rare to see (or hear) Kendrick uses big and elaborate words in his songs. But that's what exactly separates him from other artist. his use of words adds a certain detail that may be missed using real basic words. I as a hip-hop/rap fan, I'm glad i can see an artist spitting more intellectual rhymes

Beat;
    The beats were great with each song. It was very "scene setting", almost felt like i was rollin' around with Kendrick in Compton. If a beat doesn't make you feel like you're there, in the setting of the song, it's NOT the beat for the song. But Kendrick Lamar did this very well.

Relatable;
    I know I can't relate to the situations that Kendrick portrays that he went through exactly. But in the vague sense of what happened, most, if not all of us can relate to his actions. For example in " The Art of Peer Pressure" I, myself have faced and well into peer pressure. Being able to kind of relate to the artist really makes the album more pleasant to listen to.

Background story;
    This album's story is just amazing. It shows the kinda young, money hungry side of Kendrick. Not necessarily a bad kid but gets into bad situations he knows it's wrong. and The album shows how Kendrick mindset if changing from "I gotta get this money" to " I gotta get out, and make a change for my city."
  4. Mar 22, 2016
    What a start to a mainstream career this is. The production on point, Kendrick's wordplay always on point and especially the subject matter of the album. We heard the story of Compton in many ways and with many different people but his story is fascinating. Keep up the good work, Kendrick!!!!!
  5. Mar 13, 2016
    Pretty amazing album from Kendrick Lamar, one of the greatest kings of rap of our generation, give him a listen on Spotify! Kendrick Lamar fan since 2012!
  6. Mar 5, 2016
    wtf yall dumb asf this album was the first rap album i heard when i was 11 years old this album literally impacted me this album is more than perfection its heavenly please do not shun my role model "when the lights shut off and its his turn to settle down' will yall sing about him?
  7. Mar 4, 2016
    This is one of the greatest hip-hop albums ever. Yeah, that's true. Kendrick Lamar's lyrics tell us about his boyhood in Compton - with all the good and the bad experiences typical of the growth - while he raps over some damn well-produced beats. The flow is amazing, it changes from being smooth and relaxed **** Don't Kill My Vibe", "Sherane", "Swimming Pools") to being aggressive andThis is one of the greatest hip-hop albums ever. Yeah, that's true. Kendrick Lamar's lyrics tell us about his boyhood in Compton - with all the good and the bad experiences typical of the growth - while he raps over some damn well-produced beats. The flow is amazing, it changes from being smooth and relaxed **** Don't Kill My Vibe", "Sherane", "Swimming Pools") to being aggressive and frustrated ("Backset Freestyle", "m.A.A.d City"). Kendrick proves not only to be the greatest rapper of our generation, but also one of the best songwriter of the last 10 years. Expand
  8. Jan 8, 2016
    Lyrically this must be the best album ever made, kendrick lamar is an unbelievable artist and this project really changed my life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  9. Dec 19, 2015
    Best album of 2012 deffinietly. 2013 yeezus.. And these two albums are the best so far. Lamar is a genius. Great lyrics, great flow, great production. Perfect album. M.A.A.D city fav track. :)
  10. Dec 16, 2015
    A unique, refreshing and very passionate take on the timeless tale of growing up in the world. It feels great, very relatable but sometimes bizarre. Oh, and the beats are amazing and complement Kendrick's eclectic style.

Favourite track: The Art of Peer Pressure
  11. Sep 18, 2015
    not even stopping, the best rap project in the 21st cent. by a mainstream but underground grown artist. kendrick is on track to become the greatest mc of all time.
  12. Aug 11, 2015
    Best album of 2012 hands down. This is not for your average rap head. To enjoy this album you must have some type of intelligence (IN THERE.....GET IT.....In THERE, LOL). The album is a classic, a banger, and some more. Play it. Buy it. Enjoy it.
  13. Jul 9, 2015
    The Great hip-hop album. That one the revitalised the genre and gave it a new life with impeccable wordplay and storytelling. The spacious and layered beats, the songwriting, the skits, the perfect way that the track-list is lade out. Almost 3 years later, no album came close to matching the conceptualized beauty of "good kid, m.A.A.d. city".
  14. Jul 8, 2015
    Great album all around deserves a 9.5/10 almost perfect IMO it worked perfectly with every beat and also all of the verses had deep meanings the chorus' had great work done on them **** don't Kill my vibe lol anyways it was amazing you should enjoy it if you like Rap.
  15. May 30, 2015
    I didn't like this album for over two years after it came out. It wasn't until early 215 when I gave it a re-listen after probably 6 months that I realized it was miles ahead of any other rap album I had heard. If only "Real," which is a terrible song, hadn't been included...
  16. Apr 22, 2015
    Electrifying, music euphoria and instant classic are the best terms to describe the album. With this album Kendrick proves there is a future for true hip-hop and it's him. Come and save us Kendrick!
  17. Apr 19, 2015
    amazing album, ahead of its time. Probably the second best album in history next to TPAB. kendrick lamar truly is one of the best artists of this decade.
  18. Apr 3, 2015
    A classic in nearly every right. It's not perfect, but it's so close to being perfect that it might as well be considered perfect. Kendrick's skills as a rapper are seen on every track of this album, including his conscious lyrics about growing up in Compton and his incredible flow. The beat selection is superior too. This album earns an A+ from me. Highlights: "Swimming Pools", "BackseatA classic in nearly every right. It's not perfect, but it's so close to being perfect that it might as well be considered perfect. Kendrick's skills as a rapper are seen on every track of this album, including his conscious lyrics about growing up in Compton and his incredible flow. The beat selection is superior too. This album earns an A+ from me. Highlights: "Swimming Pools", "Backseat Freestyle", "Black Boy Fly". Worst songs: None really. Expand
  19. Mar 22, 2015
    9.0/10................................................................................................................................................
  20. Mar 22, 2015
    10/10 ................................................................................................................................................
  21. Mar 21, 2015
    I recently bought this album and I must say that I am impressed. Kendrick Lamar is a great rapper, he has a nice flow and thought provocative lyrics..
  22. Mar 20, 2015
    The ONLY reason I DIDN'T give this a 10 is because I JUST listened to TPAB and THAT album really took away from this album... but that's a good thing, for Kendrick. It proves, to me, that he grew into something beyond special. His storytelling is out of this world. This is the album I thought would be his peak... but I was clearly wrong!
  23. Mar 19, 2015
    No words really. Favorite hip-hop album of the decade by a mile. My first listen was truly a great experience considering the way the storyline/narrative was gelled together so brilliantly. Sing about me/dying of thirst is also a top 5 song of the decade to....
  24. Mar 11, 2015
    This is one of the best rap albums ever. Kendrick Lamar has truly shown his lyrical talents on here. Songs such as The Art of Peer Pressure show just how talented he is, with such powerful and beautiful storytelling ability. Good Kid, M.A.A.D City is a masterpiece.
  25. Mar 7, 2015
    Probably one of the greatest rap records of all time...Kendrick is more than just a rapper, he's an author and an artist, who tells a compelling story and paints a remarkably vivid picture of his childhood and struggles in Compton. Kendrick's lyrical skill is matched by few, if any, currently in rap. Easily one of the best albums I've heard
  26. Jan 22, 2015
    Not even sure where to start with this. Kendrick takes Slick Rick's narrative style of rapping and takes it to the next level, applying it to his own upbringing. He manages to paint a very clear narrative of his youth, and his journey out of his misfit life. The production isn't too complex but it's just enough to allow the listener to focus on Kendrick's rapping style.

Speaking about

Speaking about his style, Kendrick fluctuates between an adolescent, immature rapping style and a more mature one. It's very interesting and it allows for understanding over whether youth Kendrick or modern day reflecting Kendrick is rapping.

Everything on this LP is well crafted and carefully thought out. I recommend you listen to the deluxe version, which contains 3 extra songs at the end which add to the narrative. I won't spoil anything, but they really tie things together.
  27. Dec 17, 2014
    This is a modern rap & hip-hop classic album. It has cemented Kendrick Lamar as one of the best and if not the best hip hop artist today. This album is most likely the best album of the decade and it has helped revive mainstream west coast hip hop without sacrificing lyrics. It has great production and it is socially conscious about what was going on in his hometown of Compton, California.This is a modern rap & hip-hop classic album. It has cemented Kendrick Lamar as one of the best and if not the best hip hop artist today. This album is most likely the best album of the decade and it has helped revive mainstream west coast hip hop without sacrificing lyrics. It has great production and it is socially conscious about what was going on in his hometown of Compton, California. He is like the west coast version of Nas with left side beats. It is very unlikely that any rapper soon well be able to make a better album than this one and specially a major label debut like this one. Expand
  28. Dec 13, 2014
    To start off with gkmc i heard it before section.80 tbh nnow i love how both the albums are set conceptually with a story. where section.80 is a narrative through a book n gkmc is a movie with all the skits. i dont want to spoil on this review but gkmc will hit u hard with its setting the theme the state of mind of kendrick n the inner battle with his city compton. kendrick is an amazingTo start off with gkmc i heard it before section.80 tbh nnow i love how both the albums are set conceptually with a story. where section.80 is a narrative through a book n gkmc is a movie with all the skits. i dont want to spoil on this review but gkmc will hit u hard with its setting the theme the state of mind of kendrick n the inner battle with his city compton. kendrick is an amazing lyricist and ull love the beats on most of the songs. but on songs like maad city and sing about me... the material n the message of on a whole what kendrick wants to say is really astounding. the short skits connect through songs and beautifully set up the album. but the major purpose of the album is in the name of the album itself angel on angel dust. or his angry adolescent divided. both of it perfectly speak about the album. ps love kendrick now put three fingers in the air bishes Expand
  29. Dec 10, 2014
    When the album starts, we hear a tape player start with us. This is the start of the life of Kendrick Lamar in Compton, CA. "good kid, m.A.A.d. city" is just that, the life of a good kid, Kendrick, who just happens to live in a m.A.A.d. city.
    There are no radio-ready singles to be exploited from this album like most albums, and that's what's great about the album. You have to go and find it, it's not going to come to you. You have to go and find it, and be ready to hear the sorrowful and sad, yet ultimately hopeful story of a day in the life of K-Dot.
    The production is tight, the tightest since My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy. Kendrick's lyrics are able to help people who have never stepped foot in Compton to feel and understand what he went through in the m.A.A.d. city. His lyrics aren't even lyrics, it's poetry with music. Kendrick's flow is the best in the game right now. He's a natural rapper, and his poetic lyrics and tight production bring substance to the style. Get this album ASAP. You won't regret it.
    10/10- Classic/Masterpiece
  30. Dec 8, 2014
    Primarily, one of the greatest hip-hop records of all time. Kendrick weaves a frightening West Coast tale of his young life in Compton over some of the best production that Dr. Dre has been a part of, and the end result is an undeniable fist-in-the-air that Mr. Lamar thrusts, stating that the genre now has a new game-changer. Lyrical abilities and storytelling are standouts, and gives youPrimarily, one of the greatest hip-hop records of all time. Kendrick weaves a frightening West Coast tale of his young life in Compton over some of the best production that Dr. Dre has been a part of, and the end result is an undeniable fist-in-the-air that Mr. Lamar thrusts, stating that the genre now has a new game-changer. Lyrical abilities and storytelling are standouts, and gives you a haunting classic that you cannot bear to put down. The standout track for me was the superbly-written/produced and emotional "Sing About Me, I'm Dying of Thirst." Expand
  31. Oct 28, 2014
    This is really a great Rap/Hip-Hop album, with no doubt!!

Kendrick knows how to rap good and sounds like a big God of the Rap. He's one of the best Rappers actuality and it gives to him an other level on the industry. Amazing, just it.
  32. Sep 1, 2014
    Changed the way I perceived the life of other human beings. It opened up my mind to the trials and tribulations that a person living in a completely different, yet surprisingly similar world faced.
  33. Aug 26, 2014
    This album is a hip-hop classic and in my opinion, ranks in the top 3 rap albums of the decade, thus far. This album is so good that when you listen to it, you can envision everything that is happening. It's a shame that Kendrick didn't win the Grammy for Best Rap Album because this album is on another level.
  34. Jul 15, 2014
    King Kendrick Lamar has ascended to the throne of rap.

good kid, m.a.a.d. city, the newest EP from Compton citizen and Dr. Dre protege Kendrick Lamar is an album not to be trifled with. The 25-year exploded onto the rap scene this past year with his new release, and ever since, he has almost become a household name. GKMC is almost more of an audio book than an album (or a “short film” for that matter), but that’s only because of Kendrick’s intensive and intriguing storytelling skills. The concept presented in this album gives the listener a front-row POV as Kendrick discusses a memoir from a self-proclaimed “good kid” turned to his hoodrat ways by the “maad city” that is Compton. Kendrick tells the tales of lust, fame, underage drinking and drug-doing, robbery, life, the presentation of death and the fear of it, the past, present, and future, money, gang violence, and the numerous ways that damn girl Sherane got him into all kinds of shenanigans. Lamar compares these topics in a way that has been rarely heard in precedent rap recordings with his incredible use of internal rhyme, and just the overall rhyme scheme in general. The production provides a smooth transition of flow across the entire album that leads you right into the next song. The structure of the songs are each differently assembled that no two songs really sound alike, attributing to the variety of issues he speaks about on the album.
    I really enjoyed the voicemail messages and outside recordings of the album’s characters. They show you a further insight into the song and help you better visualize what point Lamar is trying to get across.
    I also really found the way that Lamar switched up his voice to accentuate the different mindsets, characters, and moods he was using. You can hear the difference when he switches moods: from hyped to calm to sad to angry, and even from his regular voice to his high-pitched and low-pitched crooning, which reminded me of the psychological tripartite theory of Freud’s: the id, the ego, and the superego. Three mindsets crowd Lamar’s thoughts at times and you can hear it.
    I would have really liked to hear more about Sherane, or Lamar’s parents in the songs. Their characters intrigued me from the beginning and I was hooked instantly, especially seeing Sherane being compared to a TMNT character in the first song.
    Regardless, the production, feel, mood, lyrics, story, and flow on this album all combine to make a fantastic piece of music and create a new insight into the lives of the people in Compton.
    I definitely recommend listening to the full album straight through to get the full experience, also.
  35. Jun 30, 2014
    In this album I have everything I could ask for: Excellent and diverse production, top lyricism, a story you can relate to even if it's not in the same context or topic you feel related. Also you have life-changing tracks along with dark subjects, love songs, struggle anthems, motivation, positive thinking in **** up situations, it may even be a therapy session if you feel the need of one.In this album I have everything I could ask for: Excellent and diverse production, top lyricism, a story you can relate to even if it's not in the same context or topic you feel related. Also you have life-changing tracks along with dark subjects, love songs, struggle anthems, motivation, positive thinking in **** up situations, it may even be a therapy session if you feel the need of one. You can describe this album with the word Visionary, because Kendrick's vision becomes an universal feeling, a need, a thought, once you listen to it, questions come and go, answers start to pop out even, when you did not know the question. I thank Kendrick, and I know it looks like I'm dickriding, but i gotta do it, because there's too much gratitude, enjoyment, suffering and over all those things, a change in myself, that I got with this project. I don't know if anyone feels the same, but that's how I feel about this album. Just my opinion. Expand
  36. May 16, 2014
    Kendrick's second studio album. and wow this thing was great ,Kendrick's smooth fast flow that changes with the topic he's rapping about. the production on this was impressive, the beats that he chose where perfect with what kendrick chose to rap about. each song on this is done really well, the lyrics throughout this album tell a story, like the skits at the end of every songs fit inKendrick's second studio album. and wow this thing was great ,Kendrick's smooth fast flow that changes with the topic he's rapping about. the production on this was impressive, the beats that he chose where perfect with what kendrick chose to rap about. each song on this is done really well, the lyrics throughout this album tell a story, like the skits at the end of every songs fit in well. very impressed with this album, a must get! Expand
  37. May 11, 2014
    Best Rap album ever released imo, so many tracks that keep on giving with every listen. He's a lyrical genius, with the flow to match. I had to listen through a few times before being rewarded, generally the sign of a great album.
    Saw kDot in a smallish show before he got super famous......best concert I've ever been to.
    Standout tracks: M.A.A.D City, **** Don't Kill My Vibe, Swimming

Standout tracks: M.A.A.D City, **** Don't Kill My Vibe, Swimming Pools, The Art of Peer Pressure, Money Trees, Backstreet Freestyle
  38. May 8, 2014
    Lamar's ode to gangsta rap leaves the listener in awe and wanting more. His vivid lyrics and banging beats help out his cause as well. An improvement from Kendrick's previous installments (Section .80 & O.verly D.edicated) this one has a heart and soul to it that cannot be compared.
  39. Apr 30, 2014
    Section. 80 is proof enough that Kendrick isn't your run of the mill MC. Kendrick reaches even higher with this LP, reaches so high in fact, he's since set the bar for every single rapper, minus Kanye of course. Good Kid, M.a.a.d City is one of the best hip hop releases in the past 5 years. Dre's production is unrivaled, and Kendrick goes exceptionally hard, especially on "BackstreetSection. 80 is proof enough that Kendrick isn't your run of the mill MC. Kendrick reaches even higher with this LP, reaches so high in fact, he's since set the bar for every single rapper, minus Kanye of course. Good Kid, M.a.a.d City is one of the best hip hop releases in the past 5 years. Dre's production is unrivaled, and Kendrick goes exceptionally hard, especially on "Backstreet Freestyle". Very refreshing to hear an actual rapper sing about growing up in the streets of Compton and not primarily acquiring large lump sums of cash from drug dealing. This isn't necessarily N.W.A type lyrics about Compton, gangsta **** but he does profess stories of him and his homies nearly getting thrown in prison, and problems with drinking, not to mention lewd comparisons between the Eiffel Tower and his penis.

All In All, Good Kid... Is packed with great lyrics, colorfully produced beats, impressive flows and intriguing narrative throughout the entire record. A-
  40. Apr 16, 2014
    Kendrick Lamar conseguiu me fazer voltar a escutar hip hop/rap. Esse disco mostra como um bom album do genero deve ser feito, diferente de muitos outros que rolam por ai, ''Good Kid M.A.A.D City'' é sensacional do começo ao fim. Com seu clima um tanto pesado mas sem perder sua essencia, o album é, com certeza, um dos melhores discos de hip hop da década.
  41. Mar 31, 2014
    All hail the new king of Hip-hop! At last, a true saviour of Hip-hop has finally arrive. Of course, I'm not saying that hip hop is dead before Kendrick Lamar burst into the scene. There was 2010's My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, but Kanye's last album was like an arthouse project with a huge-ass budget instead of a true blue hip hop album. Not since Illmatic, had an album produce soAll hail the new king of Hip-hop! At last, a true saviour of Hip-hop has finally arrive. Of course, I'm not saying that hip hop is dead before Kendrick Lamar burst into the scene. There was 2010's My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, but Kanye's last album was like an arthouse project with a huge-ass budget instead of a true blue hip hop album. Not since Illmatic, had an album produce so much hype over being an instant hip hop classic. However, Good Kid, M.A.A.D City is not an instant hip hop classic. It is THE INSTANT **** CLASSIC. The whole album plays out like an autobiography of Kendrick's life as a kid growing in the mad city known as Compton. From meeting with a girl in a club to meeting with rival gangs to a death of a peer, it plays out like a Scorsese film, grittiness and all. Now, here comes the point where I will wax lyrical about Kendrick the new King and saviour of hip hop. There's his wordplay, the flows every time he's on the mic, the storytelling, it all sums up perfectly in this album the reason why people rank him on par with Tupac, Eminem, Rakim and Nas. In fact, screw that. Non-hip hop listeners would probably fall for this album too with its top notch production quality. Overall, this is hands down the best album of 2012 bar none. All hail King Kendrick! Expand
  42. Mar 3, 2014
    This is the best album I have ever heard. Kendrick Lamar deserves the title King Kendrick Lamar. The beats are weird but so amazing. The best two songs from the album are: Backseat Freestyle and m.A.A.d City. The track I could have done without is: Real. So I give this album a 10 out of 10. Thanks for reading.
  43. Feb 25, 2014
    By far my favorite album to listen to since it came out in 2012. I loved the storyline that Kendrick made for this album. His lyrics are also some of the best lyrics that I've listened to on not just any hip hop album, but out of any album that I've sat down and listened to. The lyrics are deep and meaningful, but still have an incredible rhythm and flow to them that never get old. TheBy far my favorite album to listen to since it came out in 2012. I loved the storyline that Kendrick made for this album. His lyrics are also some of the best lyrics that I've listened to on not just any hip hop album, but out of any album that I've sat down and listened to. The lyrics are deep and meaningful, but still have an incredible rhythm and flow to them that never get old. The beats to the songs are different and I love when they change in the middle of a song to a new unique beat. All in all one of my favorite albums to listen to and it truly doesn't get old. I have listened to it over and over without growing bored or tired of listening to it. Expand
  44. Jan 30, 2014
    this is definitely the best album I have heard these last 5 years. This or MBDTF. congrats to kendrick for making classic albums.
    A1 lyrics, A1 beats, A1 cohesiveness, A1 flow, A1 music
  45. Jan 29, 2014
    I can't imagine anyone with a half-way decent taste in music writing this album off as something less than extraordinary. Kendrick Lamar is standing up straight and ready to change the game, and it's only his first big album debut. His platinum album Good Kid, m.A.A.d. city is a game changer. His flow is versatile, his lyrics are real without succumbing to the boring, tastelessI can't imagine anyone with a half-way decent taste in music writing this album off as something less than extraordinary. Kendrick Lamar is standing up straight and ready to change the game, and it's only his first big album debut. His platinum album Good Kid, m.A.A.d. city is a game changer. His flow is versatile, his lyrics are real without succumbing to the boring, tasteless story-telling flow that many rappers easily fall in to. His content is refreshing, and a little (or alotta) executive production from Dr. Dre never hurt anyone, right?
    The album progresses like a short film. It is incredibly artistic and very real life, with an almost uncomfortable look into his personal life thanks to skits and phone calls from his mom. His struggle with faith, Sherane, and life on the streets of Compton are unfiltered and excellently told. There is no "throw-away" song.
    Stand out tracks on this album include: every song on the album.
  46. Jan 26, 2014
    A Hip Hop story that needed to be told, if only to keep other people from making the same mistakes that Kendrick did. It doesn't hurt that the album is masterfully crafted with great lyrics from Kendrick throughout its entirety, and high quality from the few guest verses as well. Every songs is great, but standouts include Money Trees, **** don't Kill my vibe, Good Kid, M.A.A.D. City,A Hip Hop story that needed to be told, if only to keep other people from making the same mistakes that Kendrick did. It doesn't hurt that the album is masterfully crafted with great lyrics from Kendrick throughout its entirety, and high quality from the few guest verses as well. Every songs is great, but standouts include Money Trees, **** don't Kill my vibe, Good Kid, M.A.A.D. City, Real, and the 12 minute long Think about me, I'm Dying of Thirst, the most powerful song on the album. Whether or not Kendrick spits the best verses on the reg is irrelevant when he made a much needed period piece that takes itself seriously enough to mean something, while still being a **** banger through and through. Expand
  47. Dec 18, 2013
    [9.3] This album is definitely one with a lot of things going for it. The sleek, raw, and occasionally gritty production is where this album succeeds the most; subtle, yet powerful instrumentation, an interesting narrative, and a certain dark energy are constant in this album. Kendrick's lyrics, his voice, his hooks, and his style couldn't be more consistent on this record, making it an[9.3] This album is definitely one with a lot of things going for it. The sleek, raw, and occasionally gritty production is where this album succeeds the most; subtle, yet powerful instrumentation, an interesting narrative, and a certain dark energy are constant in this album. Kendrick's lyrics, his voice, his hooks, and his style couldn't be more consistent on this record, making it an almost flawless concept album. I can't point out any repetitive songs or any underwhelming moments. The album also has some quality that distances itself from other rap records. There are some hints of nostalgia on this record, but it never comes off as formulaic. The only problems I could point out are some issues with guests' performances, which sometimes are sometimes slightly annoying. Great record. Expand
  48. Dec 12, 2013
    The production oozes Dre, and Kendrick's flow and vocal variance (e.g. m.A.A.d city vs. Art of Peer Pressure) contribute a more complex, multi-faceted approach to gangsta rap. GKMC is like no other album out there, and how it revived and evolved 90s hip-hop makes this an instant classic.
  49. Dec 6, 2013
    This is a classic, arguably the greatest hip hop album ever. The album is a masterpiece, on the same level as Illmatic as far as albums go. Each song takes you on a journey. This is my favorite album of all time, regardless of genre.
  50. Nov 17, 2013
    The best hip-hop/rap album of 2012. Section.80 sure as hell got my curiosity, but Good Kid, M.A.A.D City had my attention. Every production of this album is solid. All the tracks are easy to fall in love with. A masterpiece.
  51. Nov 1, 2013
    I am a big hip hop/rap fan, yet never really listened to kendrick lamar. I bought this album simply by going how high it's rated, and I have to say its one of the best albums I've Heard. The album represents different scenarios in his life growing up In Compton. Each song is fairly unique to the next and the album is definitely a game changer. I'll definitely be listening to kendrickI am a big hip hop/rap fan, yet never really listened to kendrick lamar. I bought this album simply by going how high it's rated, and I have to say its one of the best albums I've Heard. The album represents different scenarios in his life growing up In Compton. Each song is fairly unique to the next and the album is definitely a game changer. I'll definitely be listening to kendrick lamar a whole lot more and purchase the next album kendrick has to offer out the brilliance of this one. GKMC 10/10 Expand
  52. Oct 24, 2013
    Changed the Hip Hop landscape, one of the only few real artists who also have that appeal to generate true listeners while telling their story. Brilliant.
  53. Oct 21, 2013
    This album is brilliant, its well structured and each song is interesting no repetitiveness just pure talent form kendrick (as always) a potential classic
  54. Oct 20, 2013
    This album is special, we follow Kendrick Lamar through the album in a very exciting storytelling, and addictive tracks like Swimming Pools, Backseat, Don't Kill My Vibe, Money Trees, Etc. This isn't a album you will get bored of after a couple of months, you will always be able to bump this, and that shows Kendrick is capable of producing timeless music. 10/10
  55. Oct 15, 2013
    All I can say is: 5-10 years from now, people will look back at this album and put it right next to the all-time hip-hop classics, right there next to "Raising Hell", "The Chronic", "Straight Outta Compton", "Illmatic"... By all means, Kendrick has proven to be one of the (if not the only) greatest lyricists of his generation.

The whole storyline and how it's constructed in the songs

The whole storyline and how it's constructed in the songs and the skits, the climax between the end of "Swimming Pools" and "Sing About Me Dying of Thirst", like it's the master-scene of this short movie...

I'm definitely adding that to the list of "All Time Greatest Hip-Hop albums"
  56. Sep 13, 2013
    One of the best albums I've heard from any genre. Kendrick Lamar just might be the savior hip hop needs. Best word to describe this album: Perfection.
  57. Jul 25, 2013
    Took all of 9 months for me to process this album, & I'm still not bored with it (that's saying a lot coming from a Gemini)...Love it when the album itself says "WTF is a sophomore jinx?"...Already I'm expecting no less by the time Graduation rolls around...Excellent film, even better than the last Documentary Straight Out of Compton...
  58. Jul 22, 2013
    Solid gold west coast classic. Whilst clearly drawing inspiration from 90's dominator's Dre and Snoop, Lamarr twists his slightly nasal drawl around fresh beats that dazzle, yet linger in the memory. There's a beguiling quality to the production, which often sounds dark and melancholy, suiting the tales of everyday gang violence and inner turmoil. Put simply, Kendrick Lamarr proves himselfSolid gold west coast classic. Whilst clearly drawing inspiration from 90's dominator's Dre and Snoop, Lamarr twists his slightly nasal drawl around fresh beats that dazzle, yet linger in the memory. There's a beguiling quality to the production, which often sounds dark and melancholy, suiting the tales of everyday gang violence and inner turmoil. Put simply, Kendrick Lamarr proves himself THE next rap talent, and has overtaken Kanye West as the worlds best performer of the genre. This is how I felt when I listened to Fleet Foxes début back in 2008. This, definitively, is the start of something very special Expand
  59. Jul 11, 2013
    Don't have really anything negative to say about this album. It is perfect. His story telling and lyricism is amazing. Every track on this is amazing. The producers made amazing beats for the tracks and the artists featured in the songs have Great verses too. I love this album, this is a CLASSIC. He talks about his child hood, struggle living in compton. You have to listen to this albumDon't have really anything negative to say about this album. It is perfect. His story telling and lyricism is amazing. Every track on this is amazing. The producers made amazing beats for the tracks and the artists featured in the songs have Great verses too. I love this album, this is a CLASSIC. He talks about his child hood, struggle living in compton. You have to listen to this album because this is one of the greatest hip-hop albums of all time.

Overall: 10/10 PERFECT
  60. Jun 21, 2013
    The best recent rap album in memory, Kendrick Lamar combines lyricism, storytelling, and production masterfully to create an instant classic. The story, told immediately as the album begins, explores Kendrick's day in Compton. He delves into issues, such as gang violence, love (or lust), stereotypes in this day of a 17-year-old. The skits accentuate the songs, songs loop into each other,The best recent rap album in memory, Kendrick Lamar combines lyricism, storytelling, and production masterfully to create an instant classic. The story, told immediately as the album begins, explores Kendrick's day in Compton. He delves into issues, such as gang violence, love (or lust), stereotypes in this day of a 17-year-old. The skits accentuate the songs, songs loop into each other, and the beats between songs keep the listener hooked. The album itself is an experience similar to watching a great movie. Its only negatives are the hooks can be a little strange, and some may find his voice annoying, though these are very insignificant issues when looking at the album as a whole. Multiple listens are advised. Expand
  61. Jun 19, 2013
    wow, classic album.
    Very few rappers can tell a story like that over a complete album. He takes a rather simple concept and transforms it into a unique introspective story that draws the listeners in by connecting with its audience. Not one song is alike, each song is in a different style and delivery. And the song mAAd city has out of this world flow.
  62. Jun 19, 2013
    One of the best album I have heard these last 7 years.

Everything about the the beats on GKMC --hell, everything about that album-- was meticulously thought out and executed in intricate fashion.
  63. Jun 19, 2013
    I wasn't sold on Kendrick Lamar, however after listening to this concept album, I am not a believer. To be able to listen to an album from front to back anymore is rare. This is one of those albums. Bonus cuts could have been better, but skits were properly placed and this album worked well. Instant classic
  64. Jun 19, 2013
    Good god, I havent heard an album like this in a GOOD minute. I will actually purchase this rather than download it. If hip hop artist pumped out more stuff like this, labels could move units like it was '98.
  65. Jun 19, 2013
    Cats need to focus on making great albums, not great mixtapes, not great singles, not great verses on other people stuff

At the end of the day if you want to be remember in music history, you're gonna be judged by the retail body of work you leave behind. Kendrick seems to be the only newcomer who really gets this good kkid maad city is very complex, well structured & cohesive...

good kkid maad city is very complex, well structured & cohesive... this is a classic.
  66. Jun 18, 2013

67. Jun 18, 2013
    A short 'film' by Kendrick Lamar... never has an album been more appropriately titled.

90% of rap albums are mere playlists, this is an album.. and more. ’good kid, m.A.A.d city’ has so much depth, it demands close inspection, this is the most expansive project I've ever heard, light years ahead of Section 80. The lyrics themselves are technical masterpieces, full of layered rhythms and meanings. The production is captivating, Kendrick’s lyrical prowess and vivid storytelling come to life like scenes from a movie.

Minor imperfections are dwarfed by it’s excellence, insignificant in the grand scheme of things. When you hear an album you can recognise instantaneously if it's a classic or not, GKMC is unequivocally a classic. In context (the current rap climate) it’s quite possibly the greatest accomplishment in Hip Hop history. Universally critically acclaimed, even the most hardheaded critics are raving about it, case in point.. Anthony Fantano (Needledrop). This album is high art, Kendrick Lamar.. dubbed as 'raps saviour' by the wider Hip Hop community has delivered!, rejoice.
  68. Jun 15, 2013
    this album is by far the best west coast album since doggystyle. storytelling is mind-blowing, production is excellent, and its only scary that he's just getting started. well done king kendrick.
  69. Jun 10, 2013
    The best Hip Hop album that has come out in last few years. Kendrick is a master of story telling and the album is more cohesive than ever. He delivers with diverse but unifying songs that make this story of the good kid in a MAAD City one for ages.
  70. May 27, 2013
    The production is spot on but that's not the only good thing about this album. The lyricism is amazing and the album tells a fascinating story about life in Compton. This album is simply amazing and is a must buy.
  71. May 18, 2013
    This album will go down as one of the best albums of all time for any genre just like Illmatic, Reasonable Doubt, Ready to Die and the other rap albums that are considered the best of all time. When those albums came out we didn't understand how great they because were very young at the time. Now we have a chance to witness a classic and a legend in the making. The storytelling is amazing.This album will go down as one of the best albums of all time for any genre just like Illmatic, Reasonable Doubt, Ready to Die and the other rap albums that are considered the best of all time. When those albums came out we didn't understand how great they because were very young at the time. Now we have a chance to witness a classic and a legend in the making. The storytelling is amazing. It's like a movie. You can't just listen to a couple of songs or skip through. You have to listen straight through from beginning to end. Expand
  72. Apr 17, 2013
    Few albums have stories this cohesive. Fewer hip hop albums have as much scope and precision as good kid, m.A.A.d. city. With a narrative that knocks storytelling out of the park, as well as some of the finest rap cuts in a few years, Kendrick Lamar is an artist among artists. With songs as catchy as Don't Kill My Vibe," and others as brooding as "Good Kid," while others are kind ofFew albums have stories this cohesive. Fewer hip hop albums have as much scope and precision as good kid, m.A.A.d. city. With a narrative that knocks storytelling out of the park, as well as some of the finest rap cuts in a few years, Kendrick Lamar is an artist among artists. With songs as catchy as Don't Kill My Vibe," and others as brooding as "Good Kid," while others are kind of poignant, like "Real," there is enough here to at least say that this is a fine record indeed, but still ranks as one of the best records of 2012, and one of the best hip-hop albums, period. Expand
  73. Apr 8, 2013
    There is a lot to say about this album. Production was solid, his flow was decent (but fitting), and the features were great. However the story is what had me hooked.

It starts out with Kendrick, a 17 year old in Compton, stealing his moms van to go to a party. To obtain the van he tells his parents that he is going to Domino's. To keep this simple I will tell the basics! He meets a girl named Sherane, who he has sex with even though he is skeptical of her family's tough lifestyle. Next he goes to hang out with his friends, who also have been sucked into the ignorant violent teenage stereotype. They tell him to bring his freestyles and the listener notices that Kendrick is acting different then he was in the past two songs. He is quite brag worthy and raps about and his dick. However in the next song he says he only acts stupid because he's "with the homies." In this song he also talks about robbing houses when he's with his friends. While he is chilling with his friends, he thinks about Sherane and soon realizes that he is in love. After this song (Poetic Justice), he leaves his friends to see Sherane, but gets jumped by her cousins. After getting jumped Kendrick reminisces and gets depressed. He thinks about all the violence and gangs in Compton. Through all this he ends up in a party where he wants to drink because of all he is going through. A man at the party helps him and then his conscious takes play and helps him get out of this new feeling. Simultaneously, his friends are trying to kill Sherane's cousins because they attacked Kendrick earlier. They shoot one of her cousins, but one of Kendrick's friends brothers gets killed in the rubble. This sends all of Kendrick's homies and Kendrick into another angry frenzy where Kendrick goes over all the depressing dangers and problems in Compton (Sing About Me/ I'm Dying of Thirst.) In between Sing About Me and I'm Dying of Thirst, a preacher from the church goes up to Kendrick's homies and tells them that they are dying of thirst. This means that they need to refresh their values with god. After Dying of Thirst, Kendrick's mom calls him, which she has many times in the album telling him to get Dominoes and to give back her van. By now Kendrick's mom just wants him to one day return and she hopes that he can teach lessons to the "black and brown kids of Compton." and she hopes that he will be successful in the music career. Kendrick calls his mom in the Deluxe edition and tells her he will be home soon thus ending the album.

Album of the Year?
  74. Apr 7, 2013
    This generations "ILLMATIC". Mr. Lamar has done it again and has finally established himself as one of the top emcees in the game. Its is one of those albums that you can play all the way through from start to finish.
  75. Apr 6, 2013
    Kendrick Lamar's first major studio album is nothing short of phenomenal. This review could go on for thousands and thousands of words. Keeping it somewhat short though, Kendrick has improved on his what was already incredible lyricism, ear for production, flow, and just downright ability to spit. Each song is an absolute delight, and most can be very thought provoking if you're not tooKendrick Lamar's first major studio album is nothing short of phenomenal. This review could go on for thousands and thousands of words. Keeping it somewhat short though, Kendrick has improved on his what was already incredible lyricism, ear for production, flow, and just downright ability to spit. Each song is an absolute delight, and most can be very thought provoking if you're not too busy being captivated by the production to pay attention to the lyrics. Songs like "The Art of Peer Pressure", and "Sing About Me, I'm Dying of Thirst" are two of his most personal works to date. The concept is brilliant, and the structure is absolutely perfect, as the album ends (and kind of begins again), with the Just Blaze produced "Compton". If it was absolutely necessary to pick one song that wasn't as good as the rest, it would be "Real", simply because of the almost unbearable hook, which was a real half assed idea, but still, Kendrick's lyrics more than make up for it. The word classic is thrown around much too often nowadays, and it's much too early to throw it around for this album, regardless of how great it is. So for now, I'll call this album a masterpiece. Expand
  76. Apr 4, 2013
    If there is such thing as a perfect album this would be it. Kendrick Lamar's debut album couldn't have been any better, the subject matter of living in a deprived neighborhood, riddled with drugs and gang violence is told greatly by Kendrick. The album as a whole is very cohesive and flows smoothly all the way through, listening to one track simply makes me want to listen to more.If there is such thing as a perfect album this would be it. Kendrick Lamar's debut album couldn't have been any better, the subject matter of living in a deprived neighborhood, riddled with drugs and gang violence is told greatly by Kendrick. The album as a whole is very cohesive and flows smoothly all the way through, listening to one track simply makes me want to listen to more. Kendrick's writing ability is quiet impressive, with some very introspective songs and also some songs about the harsh reality of living in the ghetto. Kendrick brings you into his life with this album and does an excellent job by doing so he puts the listener in his shoes. The production is flawless with great melodies and mixing. Overall this project is the definition of a master piece a future classic, the illmatic of the new era some would say, Kendrick again delivers another great project and has raised the bar for himself and all his hip hop peers around him. Expand
  77. Mar 23, 2013
    This short film escapade, has really given Hip Hop its respect and intelligence back. Kendricks story telling are to perfection, with his rhymes and hooks giving you the front seat view of his film. The features are well chosen giving the theme to each song to suit the story. The production is incredible, giving every track a individual remembrance of gold. This masterfully constructedThis short film escapade, has really given Hip Hop its respect and intelligence back. Kendricks story telling are to perfection, with his rhymes and hooks giving you the front seat view of his film. The features are well chosen giving the theme to each song to suit the story. The production is incredible, giving every track a individual remembrance of gold. This masterfully constructed album has really put Kendrick on top of hip hop this year, and set the bar for rappers releasing albums soon. Expand
  78. Mar 11, 2013
    Compton and the Wests Rap Savior......Kendrick hits on every track!!!

Don't be fooled by tha haterz and "Hip Hop Experts" on here.

THIS ALBUM BANGZ!!!
  79. Mar 9, 2013
    it;s the best rap album of 2012, but that's not saying much. this is a great album, but not a masterpiece. some of the beats are just not enough to call this a masterpiece
  80. Mar 4, 2013
    Instant classic. I still can't believe Kendrick Lamar made a better follow-up to 'Section.80'. Good Kid,'M.A.A.D City' is without a doubt the best hip-hop album since Kanye West's 'My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy'. This guy has elevated West-Coast Gangsta Rap beyond any artist we're ever heard before. Game tried, but could not bring it this far. It has to rank among those 90's West-CoastInstant classic. I still can't believe Kendrick Lamar made a better follow-up to 'Section.80'. Good Kid,'M.A.A.D City' is without a doubt the best hip-hop album since Kanye West's 'My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy'. This guy has elevated West-Coast Gangsta Rap beyond any artist we're ever heard before. Game tried, but could not bring it this far. It has to rank among those 90's West-Coast classics we can't get enough off... This album, along with Frank Ocean's 'Channel ORANGE', have just put concept albums in hip-hop and R&B in the fore-front... Expand
  81. Feb 27, 2013
    The way this entire album is a story and has individual meaning is absolutely stunning. A few songs fly over my head, but most stick, and the overall narrative approach is amazing. 9 from me.
  82. Feb 18, 2013
    Simply the greatest rap album of this decade, if not the century.
    It isn't Illmatic, but is a different sound and incredible content, intelligence, beats etc, It was a top notch album, Puts 2 Chainz to shame
  83. Feb 17, 2013
    Album of the year.... Instant classic, anyone else agree? With this album, Kendrick Lamar not only solidifies himself as a true lyricist, but he proves he can take on the difficult task of delivering a concept album and brings together the best of both worlds
  84. Feb 11, 2013
    Instant classic. That's all I can say. Everything on this album is perfect. Great message and amazing execution. Kendrick is one of the most promising MC's in the rap game right now. There isn't much I can say about this album other than this is amazing and is a must listen for anyone who just simply enjoy's genuine music whether you are a hip-hop head or an indie fan. Get your hands onInstant classic. That's all I can say. Everything on this album is perfect. Great message and amazing execution. Kendrick is one of the most promising MC's in the rap game right now. There isn't much I can say about this album other than this is amazing and is a must listen for anyone who just simply enjoy's genuine music whether you are a hip-hop head or an indie fan. Get your hands on this album. All I can say. Expand
  85. Feb 10, 2013
    This album really proves that rap hasn't turned into crap. With smart lyrics that tells a story about a boy growing u and facing life i found this album to be one of the best of last year.
  86. Jan 17, 2013
    @Eminem You realize that the last statement in your review is completely flawed, besides, Tupac and Biggie haven't even made an album in the last 10 years.... But the album is fantastic, the way Kendrick tells his story is truly brilliant and original, best album of the year hands down and an instant classic.
  87. Jan 16, 2013
    Playing this album's tracks individually results only in a sense of isolated disappointment. As a whole, this album is pure gold. Listen to this album one track after another and you, like me, will be inclined to call it a masterpiece. Instant classic. Production values that are sky high but don't eradicate the heart and soul of the artist. Lyrics that are meaningful. Beats that arePlaying this album's tracks individually results only in a sense of isolated disappointment. As a whole, this album is pure gold. Listen to this album one track after another and you, like me, will be inclined to call it a masterpiece. Instant classic. Production values that are sky high but don't eradicate the heart and soul of the artist. Lyrics that are meaningful. Beats that are memorable. This is next to My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, The Marshall Mathers LP, Illmatic and Glass Swords as one of the finest albums (hip-hop or not) of all time. Expand
  88. Jan 14, 2013
    Fantastic album. Took a while to grow on me but now I feel like it's the undisputed album of the year and one of the best efforts in the past few years by any rapper. Very cohesive story, outstanding flow and lyricism, and smooth production make it one of the best debut albums ever.
  89. Jan 12, 2013
    Kendrick's lyricism is mind-blowing. His ability to paint vivid pictures through story-telling is unmatched since Biggie Smalls. It may be better. The production is perfect for Kendrick, and complements his unreal lyricism excellently.
    However, there are some repetitive phrases and choruses (see "Real"). The final track, "Compton", is a letdown. It finishes the album with a sense of arrogance, (courtesy of Dr. Dre, who is featured on the song), rather than honesty, which seems to be a trademark trait of Kendrick. It's no doubt a great album, but the final track is a letdown.
  90. Jan 9, 2013
    This album is great. Most of the time I prefer underground rap because of the high level of lyricism they always use. Kendrick Lamar isn't underground but he delivers with a totally unique flow. You can tell that he's very comfortable on the mike, and i'm very comfortable listening. Very nice album.
  91. Jan 4, 2013
    Fantastic album. Really. Most of mainstream rap has become incredibly monotonous but good kid, m.A.A.d. city revitalized by hope. A compelling album that guides your from beginning to the end with an interesting story. Each song taken in context is simply superb. The beats are brilliant and Kendrick's flow and voice carry. The only lesser moment on the album is the closer Compton whichFantastic album. Really. Most of mainstream rap has become incredibly monotonous but good kid, m.A.A.d. city revitalized by hope. A compelling album that guides your from beginning to the end with an interesting story. Each song taken in context is simply superb. The beats are brilliant and Kendrick's flow and voice carry. The only lesser moment on the album is the closer Compton which seems out of place. Dr Dre's rap is the only guest appearance seeming to drag the album down. Real the track preceding Compton tells of a real man. caring for family and responsibility. Great listen. Expand
  92. Jan 4, 2013
    An instant classic, Kendrick Lamar has delivered one of the finest albums to come out of 2012. Immaculate production and spectacular vision as far as contemporary rap goes. The album is nearly flawless with the exception of "Compton" and "Backseat Freestyle." Standouts include, **** don't Kill My Vibe", "The Art of Peer Pressure," "Poetic Justice," "Money Trees," and "Sing About Me I'mAn instant classic, Kendrick Lamar has delivered one of the finest albums to come out of 2012. Immaculate production and spectacular vision as far as contemporary rap goes. The album is nearly flawless with the exception of "Compton" and "Backseat Freestyle." Standouts include, **** don't Kill My Vibe", "The Art of Peer Pressure," "Poetic Justice," "Money Trees," and "Sing About Me I'm Dying Of Thirst." A must have! Expand
  93. Dec 29, 2012
    Kendrick is about as human as possible and he has a wonderful way of expressing just that. He takes a story about family, violence, faith, religion, confessions and insecurities and lays himself bare for all to hear. And as well as delivering this story with a sense of comfortable conviction that is humble enough to make you feel as if Kendrick is talking at your level but assertiveKendrick is about as human as possible and he has a wonderful way of expressing just that. He takes a story about family, violence, faith, religion, confessions and insecurities and lays himself bare for all to hear. And as well as delivering this story with a sense of comfortable conviction that is humble enough to make you feel as if Kendrick is talking at your level but assertive enough to make you listen, Kendrick shows his talent for a memorable hook, suitable collaborations and his talent to give the album an unexpected depth, with characters being developed and criticised as Kendrick looks within himself.

The introspection can often become extremely intense and close to the bone, making the story easier to follow as the album progresses. Kendrick transforms from a young kid suffering from peer pressure, the urge for sex and girlfriends the family disapprove of, to a man that can move on and become "really, really real", and we're there to watch him grow from start to finish.

Fantastic album.
  94. Dec 28, 2012
    Greatest debut I heard in a long time probably since Em's Slim Shady LP. I listened to all the tracks and it just sounds like the perfect hip-hop that we needed. Lyrics are really good, the production is also good and the little skits in the songs goes well with the album. If you have not picked up this album I suggest you do so. This album will be talked about for years
  95. Dec 28, 2012
    Just compare this album to any other mainstream rap album released this year. GKMC is close to a masterpiece - from lyrics, concepts, beats, features, structures to skits - everything is on point. Name another rap album that have included such a thorough, well-executed and structured story. It's like a "short film" as the cover art says. It makes you imagine the songs scenes in your head.Just compare this album to any other mainstream rap album released this year. GKMC is close to a masterpiece - from lyrics, concepts, beats, features, structures to skits - everything is on point. Name another rap album that have included such a thorough, well-executed and structured story. It's like a "short film" as the cover art says. It makes you imagine the songs scenes in your head. Every song is so deep and striking - even Swimming Pools, despite it's mainstream feel.

A lot of rappers, e.g. Game, Dr. Dre, rap about the life of Compton, it's a common theme on West Coast hip hop, and Kendrick knew that, so he delivered his view of his home city in such a diverse and original way. In recent years there haven't been any hip hop albums that can be labelled as a "classic", but good kid, m.A.A.d city is almost one. This album deserves all the props that it receives, because there won't be an album like this coming again any time soon.
  96. Dec 21, 2012
    Sonically, you can't do better than Kendrick, and even though I found myself frequently confused/ angered by Lamar's constant character/style/flow changes, I was also greatly impressed with each individual track. Yes, it misses the mark on immersion as an album, but as a collection of individual songs, holy balls. It's so good.
  97. Dec 20, 2012
    This is a good album but not instant classic (if that even exists) and one has to wonder about the motives of some of these high scores by these so-called professional reviewers. It is like they are trying to create another great or something. The album definitely has the same flaws that most mainstream rappers have. It is not like his lyrics are inspiring to a grown man. The album also isThis is a good album but not instant classic (if that even exists) and one has to wonder about the motives of some of these high scores by these so-called professional reviewers. It is like they are trying to create another great or something. The album definitely has the same flaws that most mainstream rappers have. It is not like his lyrics are inspiring to a grown man. The album also is held together way too often by skits which almost becomes a crutch at times. Drake really has no business fitting into this album other than him simply wanting him on here. Also, the constant mentioning of his city or Compton is clearly not something that his creative juices are telling him to do. It is a strategy put in his head by Dr. Dre and other west coast pioneers.

All that said, the album flows together well and has a standout song or two but I am not sure that this album really has the replay value as a entire body of work to make it strong enough to be a classic.
  98. Dec 16, 2012
    Album of the year. good kid brings a thematic quality that 2012 rap albums all lacked this year. Production is on point, Kendrick's raps are top notch, and all of the stories that intertwine the album come together for one beautiful Compton drama. One after another, each song carried the story into a deeper, darker place, accumulating to that climax at "Sing For Me, I'm Dying OfAlbum of the year. good kid brings a thematic quality that 2012 rap albums all lacked this year. Production is on point, Kendrick's raps are top notch, and all of the stories that intertwine the album come together for one beautiful Compton drama. One after another, each song carried the story into a deeper, darker place, accumulating to that climax at "Sing For Me, I'm Dying Of Thirst." Without those little stories in the middle/end of songs, this would be one of the most disjointed rap album I would ever hear. However, Lamar puts out his best verses, his best beats, and his story out there into this beautiful tapestry known as good kid, m.A.A.d. city, a rap album that will be talked about going into the next decade. Expand
  99. Dec 12, 2012
    Good Kid, M.A.A.D City is both entertaining and poetic - proof that hip-hop can be an art form and that an album can be more than just fun music. The album unfolds like the perfectly planned script of a Quentin Tarantino movie - Kendrick Lamar switches flows as well as perspectives, and every detail within the lyrics and production seems to be important to the story. The excellentGood Kid, M.A.A.D City is both entertaining and poetic - proof that hip-hop can be an art form and that an album can be more than just fun music. The album unfolds like the perfectly planned script of a Quentin Tarantino movie - Kendrick Lamar switches flows as well as perspectives, and every detail within the lyrics and production seems to be important to the story. The excellent production makes you feel like you're riding along with Kendrick through Compton. "Backseat Freestyle" puts the listener in the car with Kendrick as he busts a freestyle with his friends, while songs like "The Art of Peer Pressure" puts you inside Kendrick's head to reveal his wiser lyrical efforts. The hard, trunk-banging production on "m.A.A.d. city" sets the perfect atmosphere of a dangerous city, and the MC Eiht feature on this song is bones-chilling. All of the features, including Drake, seem to be perfectly placed. Kendrick is on point & in his zone, ultimately making listeners think deep with cuts like "Sing About Me, I'm Dying of Thirst". Themes of life, death, and humanity make this album memorable. Meanwhile, chilled out, atmospheric songs like "B*%&^ Don't Kill Me Vibe" and "Money Trees" make this album fun to return to. As far as I'm concerned, after hearing this album, any rap song with Kendrick Lamar on it is worth listening to. Expand
  100. Dec 10, 2012
    if an album deserves a perfect rating, this is one of those rare occasions. good kid, maad city not only manages to transcend the rap genre through stylistic rhythm, beautiful cadence and witty lyricism, but successfully weaves a competent storyline into its narrative. each and every song is brilliant, featuring an insight into kendrick's childhood through skits and dialogue which bringif an album deserves a perfect rating, this is one of those rare occasions. good kid, maad city not only manages to transcend the rap genre through stylistic rhythm, beautiful cadence and witty lyricism, but successfully weaves a competent storyline into its narrative. each and every song is brilliant, featuring an insight into kendrick's childhood through skits and dialogue which bring realism to the sequences and actually give the impression that you are an outside viewer into his life for a brief period of time.

the production throughout the album is brilliant in the way that it evolves throughout the songs, notably in

1. Jan 24, 2013
    The quotidian problems and longings of the title track making up the real heart of the album, a rough and tumble struggle to the top.
  2. Jan 10, 2013
    In another rapper's hands the concepts might have been overcooked or the messages too self-righteous, but Kendrick manages to achieve scale while remaining firmly grounded on two feet.
  3. Dec 21, 2012
    This is the best rap album of 2012--not just because of champion verses and immaculate drops, but because they recognize that the most brilliant foreground only shines against a well-defined backdrop.