6.6

Review this album

1. Jul 16, 2013
    Kodaline's heartwrenching debut album is absolutely fantastic, and is my favorite of 2013 (so far, that is. Arcade Fire's new album is still yet to come out). The Irish four-piece initially grabbed my attention last year with "All I Want," and their first album did not disappoint. Every song on the record is amazing in its own right, none more so than "High Hopes" which I have been unable to stop listening to for the past few days. This album is a bit like if Keane, early Coldplay, Bon Iver, and early Radiohead came together and had a musical baby, with sorrowful, heartfelt lyrics, layered and non-synthetic music, and anthemic choruses (in spite of what some deaf critics claim). Honestly, the only thing I don't like about the record is that it remains unavailable stateside until october. Fortunately, Grooveshark contains the album, and International orders are a thing. I highly recommend the album, and it still boggles my mind that the critics can hate it so much. WARNING: tissues may be required when listening to this after a rough day. It's that good. Expand
  2. Jun 12, 2014
    I am giving this a 9 b/c of what this band could be. The album is really a 6 or 7 but they are talented enough that all the 2 and 3 star reviews need balanced out.

1. Oct 8, 2013
    The album is just full of songs that don’t hit and seemingly don’t even try.
  2. Jun 20, 2013
    All told, there's a lot of bodice-ripping emotion to take in, and it's this, rather than the lack of original ideas, that makes In a Perfect World hard to take in large doses.
    With time, greater individuality will come. Right now, this is an accomplished and emotive statement of intent, cinematic in scope and able to raise goose bumps at will.