8.0

Review this album

1. AlvaroG.
    May 4, 2008
    Why so bad ratings??? the whole series of The Great American Songbook are great!!
  2. MistyC
    Oct 30, 2006
    I LOVE this CD along with ALL of Rods others. Only being 24 I hadn't listened to this type of music before thanks Rod.
  3. GiuseppeR
    Jul 7, 2006
    A particular voice for some of the best songs of the last century. A great interpretation with very good arrangements. The official critics didn't appreciate this CD because it is too easy to love it. It's difficult to tire to listen to it. You wish to dance, to sing, to beat time. What else is the music?
  4. FredD
    Feb 1, 2004
    Can I say "OLD"? oh, wait...er...Can I say "TOO AMERICAN"?
  5. DLaw
    Dec 12, 2003
    I thought these classic songs were indestructible...and then I heard Rod have a go. This could well be one of the worst albums of all time. It's simply shocking - avoid at all costs.
  6. KRISTINM
    Jan 15, 2003
    For anyone who likes ' crooner songs ' this CD is absolutely one of the best!!!! I have enjoyed ALL of Rod Stewart's songs over the years (yes, even the dreaded disco song "Do Ya Think I'm Sexy) and this collection is great. I highly recommend this CD to anyone who appreciates these great old classic jazz songs.
  7. SteveA
    Jan 9, 2003
    We've all heard these songs hundreds of times, but -- after taking a few moments to adjust to the incongruity of Rod's voice on them -- this is the first time that I ever found so much meaning in the lyrics. Honestly moving.
  8. BobS
    Jan 8, 2003
    The first listen was from start to finish and it became somewhat boring. My generation I suppose. Then I selected five songs and listened to the seperatly and discover their greatness. A super job from a normally livley Rod Stewart. Classics.
  9. SharonW
    Dec 31, 2002
    I feel this is a successful venture for Rod Stewart and enjoyed the music very much. It's very different, but the songs work and his passion for these old standards is obvious in the music.
  10. HelenW
    Dec 28, 2002
    Love to hear Rod singing the oldies. Very soothing in this world of not so soothing times. Thanks for easy listening at its best.
  11. julier
    Dec 28, 2002
    Love this CD with all my heart...never a Rod Stweart fan until now...what a wonderful group of songs sung by an old rocker. Rod may not be the usual voice you think of singing these oldies, but he does it in such a warm and wonderful way. My favorite Christmas gift 2002!
  12. MathuresP
    Dec 22, 2002
    Rod in a mellow mood. Simply superb as he changes gear like licking honey. Full marks.
  13. SarahP
    Dec 17, 2002
    It sounds like he is singing in the shower, but he is still a better singer than me.
  14. RichR
    Dec 7, 2002
    He's got to be taking the piss.
  15. MardyR
    Nov 27, 2002
    Rod, It could only have been you, who really turns me on(to music that is). The american
  16. RickR
    Nov 23, 2002
    Whoa can someone say classic. Only when i thought rod could not get as big mole (carreer wise) he goes and delivers yet another climactic comentary on life. This album goes in the same breath as abby road and petsound. Damn ROD!!! You make me crap my pants yo so good. Buy it and you'll crap yo pants.
  17. Robert
    Nov 17, 2002
    Stewart can't hold a note. Saddled with a voice so full of air and static ,what normally passes as resonance falls through as soon as it is sounded. But Mr. Stewart stays within himself by playing it interpretatively safe with swing versions(Everytime We Say Good Bye, You Go to My Head), is backed up with solid musicians, and manages to hold interest by dulling our critical faculties Stewart can't hold a note. Saddled with a voice so full of air and static ,what normally passes as resonance falls through as soon as it is sounded. But Mr. Stewart stays within himself by playing it interpretatively safe with swing versions(Everytime We Say Good Bye, You Go to My Head), is backed up with solid musicians, and manages to hold interest by dulling our critical faculties (such are the narcotic effects of swing). Compare Billie H's incomparable END OF A LOVE AFFAIR, with the Sinatra/Riddle swing version. Nonetheless, Stewart does like the music, which is already something of an evolution, and the incurabley raspy voice works here and there. If you've run out of phamaceuticals, these easy, even likeable, laid back tracks just might be for you. Expand
  18. FrancoisT
    Nov 6, 2002
    This album brings peace and joy. I listen to many genre of music (Chick Corea, Judas Priest, ZZ Top, etc.) and I have all Stewart albums. Of course it's different but that's what I like of an artist like Rod stewart.
  19. LindaH
    Nov 5, 2002
    This is a excellent album of old songs. Stewart sings all the standards in a way I have not heard before.
  20. SharonG
    Nov 2, 2002
    I'm very sorry I could only give this album a 10 it worth so very much more. You just made a 54 year old nana dreams come true. In Fact as I email this I'm crying. May the Dear Lord always smile down on You, Your Family, and all The People that work for you. Your Truly (Nana) Sharon
  21. ChristmasT
    Nov 1, 2002
    The Great American Songbook? Isn't Rod Stewart British?
  22. jellyvetti
    Oct 31, 2002
    a great feeling.... Try it yourself...

1. Here, he sings against syrupy, obvious orchestral arrangements, driven by a beat that sometimes seems on the verge of a nap -- all of which encourages Stewart's worst habits: He sounds lazy, glib and uninvolved, just the opposite of when he still mattered.
  2. The whole thing sounds good on paper, but in practice, it's a bit of a mixed bag.
  3. His similar-sounding interpretations lose their oomph a few tracks in.