...Like Clockwork - Queens of the Stone Age
8.8

Review this album

1. Jun 4, 2013
    It's so refreshing to hear Josh Homme's main band record some new music after his recent troubles in the hospital and depressions and whatnot. But how does this new record hold up to the genius they've released before? Well, it matches nearly perfectly in quality to classics like "Songs for the Deaf" and "Lullabies to Paralyze", but strangely stands as its own record. It's more mellow andIt's so refreshing to hear Josh Homme's main band record some new music after his recent troubles in the hospital and depressions and whatnot. But how does this new record hold up to the genius they've released before? Well, it matches nearly perfectly in quality to classics like "Songs for the Deaf" and "Lullabies to Paralyze", but strangely stands as its own record. It's more mellow and heartfelt than previous releases, yet still provides some decent headbangers along the ride. If you're a fan, it's definitely worth checking out. If you're not, it's still definitely worth checking out. Expand
  2. Jun 4, 2013
    While it may be a well worn platitude, "good things come to those who wait" has never been more true. And "good things" on ...Like Clockwork abound. From the haunted house monster stomp of the album's opener "Keep Your Eyes Peeled", the arena rock bravado of "Fairweather Friends", to the melodic melancholy of the eponymous album closer, it is some of JHo and Company's most adventurousWhile it may be a well worn platitude, "good things come to those who wait" has never been more true. And "good things" on ...Like Clockwork abound. From the haunted house monster stomp of the album's opener "Keep Your Eyes Peeled", the arena rock bravado of "Fairweather Friends", to the melodic melancholy of the eponymous album closer, it is some of JHo and Company's most adventurous work to date. And yet, never at any point did I wonder if it was QOTSA. A triumph. Expand
  3. Jun 4, 2013
    This is actually a really solid and varied album. I liked 'Era Vulgaris' but found myself skipping nearly half of the songs on it. For me, '...Like Clockwork' is one of those albums you need to listen to in its entirety rather than a song at a time.
  4. Jun 4, 2013
    The genre-bending, rule breaking band of misfits is back and bigger than ever. With a 6 year gap between their last album Era Vulgaris, a new Queens of the Stone Age album was at the top of my wish list. They didn't disappoint either! Every track comes at you in full swing. They entrance, mystify, disturb, and even stimulate you. With ...Like Clockwork, Queens of the Stone Age bring aThe genre-bending, rule breaking band of misfits is back and bigger than ever. With a 6 year gap between their last album Era Vulgaris, a new Queens of the Stone Age album was at the top of my wish list. They didn't disappoint either! Every track comes at you in full swing. They entrance, mystify, disturb, and even stimulate you. With ...Like Clockwork, Queens of the Stone Age bring a splash of reality to what real rock music is. No more of this garbage Nickelback and Mariana's Trench.

From the first riff, I know that this would be a special occurrence. As I proceeded, weaving between simplicity and complexity, I realized that I was in a psychedelic heaven. With no detectable flaws, this album provides the perfect blend of psychedelic rock and metal. "Keep Your Eyes Peeled" is the ultimate opener for the album. It starts out quiet, like the calm before the storm, and then suddenly, you are whisked away by the heart-pounding thuds of drums and bass. After this dreary and oddly hypnotic first track, "I Sat By The Ocean" shows off the radio-friendly capabilities of QOTSA. After all these years, they can still put together an upbeat, soon to be on the radio song. Slowing down the tempo again, the band returns you to where they left off in the trippy journey. In a Pink Floyd-esque fashion, QOTSA take the opportunity to explore the ways of synthetics in "The Vampyre of Time and Memory". Alongside brain-melting guitar solos is the light whir of a synthesizer. The next two tracks, "If I Had A Tail" and "My God Is The Sun", are both songs more than qualified to be radio hits in no time. With comedic lyrics and strange themes, this obscure duo goes together better than peanut butter and jelly. As we venture into the second half of the album, it's as if there is a darkness that has filled the songs. On "Kalopsia", Trent Reznor of Nine Inch Nails helps out the gang by providing his magnificent voice and musical talent to create (what may be) QOTSA's darkest odysseys. Continuing with the dark trend, "Fairweather Friends" and "Smooth Sailing" sound upbeat enough, but still have and eerie undertone. The songs make you feel a plethora of emotions all at once. All you can do is sit there, wondering what the hell is going on. It sounds like they're having a good time, but at the same time, it sounds like the world is about to end. On "I Appear Missing", the album's magnum opus, the spellbinding guitar melodies combined with Josh Homme's unique vocals are what really take the cake. Finally, on "...Like Clockwork", QOTSA leave with a calming acoustic song, accompanied by piano and echoes of bass. They know that the album is over. They know that this fictional world is coming to an end. All they can do now is reassure the audience that everything will be alright. Or maybe the opposite.

From start to finish, the album blew me away. Each track offered something different and unique. Also, I believe that this album has some of the most creative and well-written lyrics of all time. The messages are well established and the execution by Josh Homme is the icing on the cake.

Overall, the album is flawless. I have listened to it numerous times and find nothing wrong with it. Beautiful lyrics, catchy rhythms, and addictive vocals; what more could you want?
  5. Jun 20, 2013
    While I don't think this is the best QOTSA ever, it is a refreshingly new sound. It was a risky move that QUOTSA pulled off brilliantly. The slow to fast mix in this album is incredible. Almost all of the songs have taken their place in my heart. This is true rock, welcome back!
  6. Jun 28, 2013
    Penso que só pessoas minimamente inteligentes e honestas, deveriam cotar um álbum dos QotSA. Tenho lido alguns reviews de certos magazines, que me fazem rir. Fazem comparações completamente rídiculas e imbecis, um exemplo bem evidente este magazine Under The Radar. Só um asno pode escrever um artigo destes, "The guitars are more or less grungy, but some of those indie-rock rhythms, withPenso que só pessoas minimamente inteligentes e honestas, deveriam cotar um álbum dos QotSA. Tenho lido alguns reviews de certos magazines, que me fazem rir. Fazem comparações completamente rídiculas e imbecis, um exemplo bem evidente este magazine Under The Radar. Só um asno pode escrever um artigo destes, "The guitars are more or less grungy, but some of those indie-rock rhythms, with distortion-lite effects, sound a bit like Franz Ferdinand. Not necessarily a bad thing—they're pretty and chiming, and the straight-up lead riffs are often infectious. But this is Queens of the Stone Age, man."
    Josh Homme anda a ouvir Franz Ferdinand!!! AHAHHAHAA leiam este artigo que de partir o coco a rir, Os media são o quê?
  7. Sep 11, 2013
    This is definitely one of the greatest albums made for years, it has no "greatest song", every single song is a hit, and the more you listen to it, the more it grows on you.
    Queens of the Stone Age has a completely unique feel to it, and this album, as well as "Era Vulgaris" are perfect examples of this, which is why it deserves a 10/10. This album is perfect!
  8. Oct 7, 2013
    Never in my life have I followed an album so closely, prior to its release and been so satisfied. This album delivers on every track, which is some feat, considering the very varying genres going around on the album and within some tracks. Homme sounds better than ever and same can be said, for what can only be described as the "army" of guitars present on this album, mixed to perfection.Never in my life have I followed an album so closely, prior to its release and been so satisfied. This album delivers on every track, which is some feat, considering the very varying genres going around on the album and within some tracks. Homme sounds better than ever and same can be said, for what can only be described as the "army" of guitars present on this album, mixed to perfection. I feel every song on this album, has at some point, had its turn of being my favourite track and at this point I still struggle to choose my favourite, proving the genius of this album and how that genius should be savoured so. My one criticism with the album would be the track ordering, a very minor thing I realise, however I can't help but feel "Keep Your Eyes Peeled", the wrong choice for the opener. Such choices as "Smooth Sailing", "I Sat By The Ocean" or even the end of "If I Had a Tail", into "My God is the Sun", I feel would have set the album up better. However, the fact that the tremendous and massive sounding ending of "I Appear Missing", is not the album closer, is the sorest choice made on the entire album. However, you take all these songs individually and I would struggle greatly not to give the majority of them 10/10, which is the most important thing. Considering the age and progression of this never disappointing band, this album only seems like the perfect thing for QOTSA to have created. I know I will still be happily listening to this album from to start to finish many, many years from now, and I know I will not be alone when I am. Expand
  9. Jun 5, 2013
    The new album is weird, but the best kind of weird. After the luke warm Era Vulgaris, I didn't expect too much from Like Clockwork but, being a fan since the self titled, I picked up a copy. The entire album is so different from anything the band has put out and, for me, is a breath of fresh air. Granted, there are still 2 tracks that have that driving robot/desert rock the band is knownThe new album is weird, but the best kind of weird. After the luke warm Era Vulgaris, I didn't expect too much from Like Clockwork but, being a fan since the self titled, I picked up a copy. The entire album is so different from anything the band has put out and, for me, is a breath of fresh air. Granted, there are still 2 tracks that have that driving robot/desert rock the band is known for, but the rest of the songs have a more laid back approach. The vocal melody lines and meandering guitar riffs weave together, stack, and dissolve(not always in that order) into a competent record. Although I could have used a few more crunchy fast paced tunes, the album conjures feelings of wanderlust and melancholy that beg for a late night drive. Expand
  10. Jun 4, 2013
    Just listened to the vinyl LP. So good, and it sounds amazing. What's odd is that it's meant to be played at 45 RPM, and I've never seen that on an LP before, (they're usually 35 RPM). Just a quirky note. I fell like they might have done it on purpose to screw with people, or not, I don't know the absolute specifics of what goes into pressing an album. Whatever, the music is great, havingJust listened to the vinyl LP. So good, and it sounds amazing. What's odd is that it's meant to be played at 45 RPM, and I've never seen that on an LP before, (they're usually 35 RPM). Just a quirky note. I fell like they might have done it on purpose to screw with people, or not, I don't know the absolute specifics of what goes into pressing an album. Whatever, the music is great, having a cohesive theme, yet every song has its own distinct sound. It's hard to pick favourites, but "My God is the Sun," "Fair-weather Friends" and "I Sat by the Ocean" are exuberant. The title track is a quiet, introspective, unique track that greatly closes the album. I get some hints of The Who and Supertramp in here, although it's mostly just the warped genius of Queens of the Stone Age. Another definitive, exemplary album from a band that just keeps getting better. Expand
  11. Feb 15, 2014
    http://bit.ly/1b6f6g1 The collaborators on this album never really take the forefront or take over the track they're on (besides Alex Turner). What they do is assist the true stars, Queens of the Stone Age. What Queens have managed to do is create one of the best albums of the last 10 years and evolve as a band. What is even more astounding is that they didn't need to flood it with effectshttp://bit.ly/1b6f6g1 The collaborators on this album never really take the forefront or take over the track they're on (besides Alex Turner). What they do is assist the true stars, Queens of the Stone Age. What Queens have managed to do is create one of the best albums of the last 10 years and evolve as a band. What is even more astounding is that they didn't need to flood it with effects or overproduce it. It proves that the old fashioned way of making music is still alive and that you can make amazing albums doing it that way. The hype this album has received is just. Expand
  12. Jun 6, 2013
    It's dark, it's deep, and it's twisted, but isn't that the point? Every QOTSA album has a different feel, but this one seems to strike a different chord. (no pun intended) There's something really honest about the way these songs are arranged that make them feel very basic, giving a much needed vibe of stripped down, untamed music, something they've always excelled in. The album's titleIt's dark, it's deep, and it's twisted, but isn't that the point? Every QOTSA album has a different feel, but this one seems to strike a different chord. (no pun intended) There's something really honest about the way these songs are arranged that make them feel very basic, giving a much needed vibe of stripped down, untamed music, something they've always excelled in. The album's title track "...Like Clockwork" was a real highlight/climactic ending to a well rounded album, opening up Homme's softer, humbler, and more sensitive side. They, once again, have strongly impressed me with their music, as well as their growth in musical style.

Due to my personal taste when it comes to their vast collection of songs, I would have given this album a 9. (I actually prefer Era Vulgaris) However, this album, from a larger standpoint, is much more than any of the others because it gives a sense that they have given their audience their heart and soul, asking them to listen, to share with them, the feelings they stir inside.

For that, I give them a 10.
  13. Jun 4, 2013
    One of the best albums Josh Homme has put his name on. On the same level as Rated R and Songs for the Deaf. If I had a tail is wonderfully catchy arena rock type stuff. Most of the melodies stick and don't wear thin like on Era Vulgaris.
  14. Jun 15, 2013
    ...Like Clockwork proves that Queens of the Stone Age are still one of the most fascinating bands in rock today. It may very well be the band's best record since Songs for the Deaf. Powered by crunchy guitar riffs and haunting vocal harmonies, supplemented by piano and vintage synths, the album is both seductive and sinister. The darker, more introspective lyrics (inspired by frontman Josh...Like Clockwork proves that Queens of the Stone Age are still one of the most fascinating bands in rock today. It may very well be the band's best record since Songs for the Deaf. Powered by crunchy guitar riffs and haunting vocal harmonies, supplemented by piano and vintage synths, the album is both seductive and sinister. The darker, more introspective lyrics (inspired by frontman Josh Homme's depression and other recent tumult) add to the mysterious nature of the music. As with previous QOTSA albums, this one features an array of collaborators, including former band members Nick Oliveri and Mark Lanegan, Dave Grohl (who plays drums on half of the songs), Elton John, Trent Reznor, and Alex Turner of Arctic Monkeys. Most of the collaborators reside in the background, enhancing the songs rather than dominating at the front. There's more diversity among the ten songs on the album, which sets it apart from the past couple QOTSA albums. All in all, ...Like Clockwork is one of the best albums of the year, and we have Josh Homme and his friends to thank for this wonderful gift. Expand
  15. Jun 4, 2013
    If Songs for the Deaf was the definitive record of QOTSA as a collaborative project born in the desert sessions, ...Like Clockwork is the definitive record of QOTSA as Josh Homme's band. Quite possibly the best (and certainly the most focused) album of their career, and a strong AOTY contender in an impossibly good year for music.
  16. Nov 29, 2013
    This is the first QOTSA album I've heard in full & it's a fantastic first impression that lives up to the hype. If I had to describe this album in one word, it would be “cool”. Every aspect, from the guitar riffs to the grooves to Josh Homme's voice & delivery, has this attitude-filled charm to it that's just irresistible. I think a track-by-track analysis is the best way I can talk aboutThis is the first QOTSA album I've heard in full & it's a fantastic first impression that lives up to the hype. If I had to describe this album in one word, it would be “cool”. Every aspect, from the guitar riffs to the grooves to Josh Homme's voice & delivery, has this attitude-filled charm to it that's just irresistible. I think a track-by-track analysis is the best way I can talk about this album, since it's really one where pretty much every song has something worth noting about it.

I hear the term “desert rock” thrown around a lot with this band, and I find that sound no more accurate on this album than in the opener “Keep Your Eyes Peeled”. It has this trudging rhythmic groove that basically sounds like being stuck in Death Valley for over 3 hours with no water or transportation, a vibe that's enhanced by the vague but moody lyrics. “I Sat by the Ocean” is a great straightforward rock song with simple, catchy riffs & nice touches of falsetto. I've heard from some people that this is one of QOTSA's more diverse albums, and with songs like “The Vampyre of Time and Memory” that's very easy to believe. It's a piano-led track that builds beautifully over the course of it, first with these cool little synth textures & then gradually the rock instrumentation. The lyrics are also some of the best on the album, talking about loss of identity & searching for your purpose in life in a pretty effective way. My favorite song here is “If I Had a Tail”, another fantastic mid-tempo alt-rock tune with infectious melodies all around & nicely reserved guitars in the verses that explode perfectly in the chorus & bridge, complimented with a good lyrical theme bashing general society's materialist/hedonist mentality. The first half finishes with “My God is the Sun”, which was a great choice for the lead single, a driving rocker that grabs you with the riffs within seconds & will definitely attract the demographic I was in who's only familiar with the older hits.

“Kalopsia” goes in a refreshingly laid-back direction with a nice psychedelic atmosphere in the verses that transitions smoothly into more of a hard rock style toward the end. “Fairweather Friends” is another major highlight. Nearly all of this album's many collaborators sing backing vocals on this song. Admittedly though, my only thing close to a gripe on this album is that I would've liked if such a star-studded guest list had a bigger role than barely audible contributions you probably wouldn't notice if you didn't hear about it from somewhere else. Elton John is the exception, since he plays piano here too & his backing vocals provide a nice echo in the chorus, but still. That being said, the song's still really great, and ends on a random & hilarious note that I still crack up at on the 6th listen. “Smooth Sailing” has an awesomely sleazy groove with over-the-top flamboyant falsetto vocals & some awesome lines. “I Appear Missing” is another really good one but honestly doesn't have many traits I haven't already talked about as far as I can tell. The album ends with the title track, which takes another drastic turn as a vulnerable piano ballad that follows the same introspective lyrical style as “The Vampyre of Time and Memory”, though to me it's done in a more emotional way here.

...Like Clockwork consistently shows off memorable, well-thought-out & surprisingly diverse material. Normally albums that get as much hype as this got disappoint at least some people, but I've honestly heard few, if any, negative thoughts about it as a whole. I'll make it a goal to listen to some more QOTSA in the near future.

Top 5 tracks: If I Had a Tail, Fairweather Friends, The Vampyre of Time and Memory, I Sat by the Ocean, Smooth Sailing
    Score: 91/100
    My review-based Facebook page: That Non-Elitist Music Fan
  17. Oct 19, 2013
    Best queens album in years, yes i enjoyed El Vagus or what ever its called but this new entire just feels so unique and the tracks are so moody, 9/10, gets a bit repetitive yet because of key tracks, my fav track being the last it deserves more like a Solid 9.8/10, so should probably round to a 10 but because of the repetitiveness and the fact that users are rating so high i gives it a 9
  18. Jun 6, 2013
    Not quite as good as the albums "from the good old days", but an appropriate comeback. QotSA have taken on a heavier, almost progressive-like direction in their music while still retaining their edginess.
  19. Jun 4, 2013
    6 years is a long time to wait for a new albums, every second has been worth it as we're treated to an essential QotSA album that's excellent from beginning to end. Every track shines, from the crunchy rock opener that is "Keep Your Eyes Peeled" to the beautifully melodic "Kalopsia" that morphs into a belting rock song with amazing power chords that just sound so damn good together. There6 years is a long time to wait for a new albums, every second has been worth it as we're treated to an essential QotSA album that's excellent from beginning to end. Every track shines, from the crunchy rock opener that is "Keep Your Eyes Peeled" to the beautifully melodic "Kalopsia" that morphs into a belting rock song with amazing power chords that just sound so damn good together. There isn't a bad song on the entire album, every track to it's own degree is unique and is a superb song. If you're a Queens fan, while this is a little darker and a smidgen different than their previous albums, it deserves your attention and you'll love all ten songs, and have a tough time choosing a favorite. If you're a fan of rock I can't recommend anything more than this treasure, from Homme's grand, signature vocals, Dave Grohl's excellent drumming, a little bit of Elton John and Trent Reznor, and the rest of the band it's easily one of the best albums I've heard in a long time. It's Rock and Roll/Alternative at it's finest and it's one hell of a record. Expand
  20. Jun 4, 2013
    These guys are back and better than ever So many highlights on this album top to bottom. Easily one of the best albums so far in 2013. Josh Homme has elevated his music to a different level.
  21. Jun 4, 2013
    Going to keep it short, this is a really good album. Its one of those that grows on you the more you listen. Personally really liking "if I had a tail". Probably going to be one of the better albums of the year, welcome back guys you have been missed.
  22. Jun 5, 2013
    Just finishing up my second listen and from top to bottom, every track is enjoyable. This is first time I can say that about a QOTSA album (though they have all been better than average at worst). In fact, I don't say that about many albums very often they all seem to have a clunker or two in the mix, at least as far as my tastes are concerned. But I am struggling to find that here andJust finishing up my second listen and from top to bottom, every track is enjoyable. This is first time I can say that about a QOTSA album (though they have all been better than average at worst). In fact, I don't say that about many albums very often they all seem to have a clunker or two in the mix, at least as far as my tastes are concerned. But I am struggling to find that here and that is an amazing feat for an album in this age. Expand
  23. Oct 13, 2013
    For the first few months, I wasn't too keen on this album, thinking it was only too short, not hard enough, lacking any change in direction like Era Vulgaris, etc. But then I wen't to their ...LC concert in Toronto, and then leaving, I realized just how DAMN GOOD this album is.

It's a culmination of all the previous sounds and styles Homme and co. created to get to this point (even his days at Them Crooked Vultures can be recgnized with some of the more upbeat tunes), with the emotion and soul that hasn't been present in any of the 6 albums. At first I was wishing that there were more songs, but I've also come to realize that all 10 songs are wonderfully crafted, produced, and written.

Not much else I can say, except this is one of my 3-4 candidates for album of the year, and is proudly my new favourite QotSA album! Definitely worth the 6 year wait or a 4 year wait, if you like TCV.
  24. Jun 23, 2013
    I'm not very good fan of Queens of the Stone Age because the only album that I liked most was "Lullabies to Paralyze", and that my brother showed me what was our favorite, but for me, this album has increased my taste for this band. Like Clockwork, an album that takes everything the band has done, mix it with some pop and again with a lot of guests that give another twist to the band'sI'm not very good fan of Queens of the Stone Age because the only album that I liked most was "Lullabies to Paralyze", and that my brother showed me what was our favorite, but for me, this album has increased my taste for this band. Like Clockwork, an album that takes everything the band has done, mix it with some pop and again with a lot of guests that give another twist to the band's music without changing their style.
    As guests are the former Queens, Dave Grohl, Nick Oliveri and Mark Lanegan. Then there is Alex Turner of Arctic Monkeys, Trent Reznor, Jake Shears of Scissor Sisters and surprise to me, Elton John.
    The album starts with "Keep Your Eyes Peeled" low hypnotic hard rock. "I Sat by the Ocean" still sounds like Queens of the Stone Age in his role not as heavy songs. Next is "The Vampyre of Time and Memory" has been the ones I liked the album, shows the evolution of the draft Homme And to continue another shifty, "If I Had a Tail", a good song.
    "My God Is the Sun", in the vein of the last deliveries of the group. The most experimental song is "Kalopsia" where Trent Reznor collaborates who also appears in "Fairweather Friends" with Elton John, which make it a true masterpiece, as Jonah said. "Smooth Sailing" and "I Appear Missing" round out the album with my favorite, Like Clockwork a ballad very high manufacturing.
    You may not love it so much, but anger discovering such high quality that have the songs from this album.
    With this album, it is now difficult to say which came to make the best of the year, do not think is this, because I still like more "RAM" by Daft Punk, but definitely, this will be on the list.
  25. Aug 15, 2013
    [9.1] Queens of the Stone Age always had a few songs that impressed me, but I never did like an entire album of their's. It's certainly somewhat more mellow than their usual work, but it delivers some badass tracks that may be some of their best. *Resubmitted score 9.1*
  26. Dec 8, 2013
    ASS_N_TREBLE IS AN IDIOT! AND IS BECAUSE OF THESE IDIOTS THAT I GIVE NOTE MAXIMUM
    this idiot has done here more negative votes for this album, it's not just this, and the funny thing is that it has no further comment other albums.
    Não brinquem, quem são vocês para fazerem uma revisão de um artista seus idiotas...são artista? compõem música? são inteligentes o suficiente para estarem aqui a dar pontuação, são estudiosos nesta matéria. Só sabem ouvir o que os media querem e depois fazem critica de coisas que não percebem... há por aqui muito atrasado mental a fazer revisão (ass_n_treble......), gostava de conhecer esse calhorda E OS OUTROS PESSOALMENTE, a minha psicopatia vem ao de cima, com este tipo de gente. Não constroem nada apenas destroem e incendeiam, adorava ter esses calhordas minha frente, reduzia-os a uma massa de carne e sangue.. Daqui a 10 ANOS veremos quem são os VERDADEIROS CLÁSSICOS.
  27. Jun 24, 2013
    After listening to this album for the first time, I found myself completely obsessed with it. I find myself constantly listening to it over and over again, immersed in its excellence. ...Like Clockwork, in a way, sounds to me like Lullabies to Paralyze should have sounded. At times it is the classic hard rock you expect from the Queens of the Stone Age, and at other times it slows down,After listening to this album for the first time, I found myself completely obsessed with it. I find myself constantly listening to it over and over again, immersed in its excellence. ...Like Clockwork, in a way, sounds to me like Lullabies to Paralyze should have sounded. At times it is the classic hard rock you expect from the Queens of the Stone Age, and at other times it slows down, allowing the band to really display their vocal strength in a way they have not quite done yet. While I love every song on the album, the true go-to song here is definitely "I Appear Missing", a song that so well done that it stands as one of my all time favorite QotSA songs. All in all, this is a must buy album. It's not quite as amazing as, say, Rated R or Songs for the Deaf, but it stands as the one of the bands most ambitious and outstanding achievements to date.

9.3/10
  28. Jun 6, 2013
    What to even say? This record is like a gut punch in every way that music ought to be. Catchy as all get out and lyrical depth beyond any prior QOTSA release or anything in recent memory. Current frontrunner for album of the year, no exaggeration, IMHO.
  29. Jun 4, 2013
    This is one of the best albums I've ever heard! Every song is so great, I have to listen to the album completely. Never have I had an experience similar to this, where I liked all the songs on the album. And the journey this album takes you on, is simply astounding! I could listen to this album hours and hours, day for day. Defenitely a 10/10! LISTEN IT!
  30. Jul 4, 2013
    Queens of the Stone Age with ...Like Clockwork blows us out of the water. It is a combination of all of their previous records in one, yet still retaining a distinct sound. It feels like the correct natural progression, it doesn't feel forced. And with guest appearances from Nick Olivier and Mark Lanegan, albeit on backing vocals, there is still that old Queens vibe.

Opener, "Keep Your

Opener, "Keep Your Eyes Peeled" has a meaty bass line and Joey Castillo's solid drumming that featured on the last two albums keeps the song going, and I think that Dave Grohl's drumming does hold more energy, but I think they can both play drums for Queens well, they both bring something different to the band's overall sound.

"The Vampyre of Time and Money", is the the first of the slower songs on the album. The band have done it before with "Make it Wit Chu", but these seem more emotional. Rated R featured slower songs breaking the album up nicely from the energy of such songs like "Quick and to the Pointless" and with these ballads, I feel like the band are doing the same thing. "The Vampyre..." is a really good song, with guitar work sounding like Pink Floyd and the synths in the background just meld everything together in a soothing blend of liquid QOTSA.

"If I had A Tail", gets itself in my head again and again because it is so catchy. The grooves that the drums and the bass have together work really well on this song, and the Desert Rock feel on this song and throughout the album is like Songs for the Deaf. With Olivier and Lanegan on backing vocals the chorus has a really meaty feel to it, which is a bit lost on this album soundwise, the reason why some compared "My God Is The Sun" to a Them Crooked Vultures song.

And then of course we get to "My God Is The Sun", half way into the album, and we are breezing through with Michael Shuman's powerful Bass playing propels this song into a heavy and loud torment of wonder. "Kalopsia" is quiet and feels like it can drag in the verses until the chorus' screech into life gouging your eyes out to make sure you don't drift off into "the land of the nightmares".

"Fairweather Friends" follows along with "Smooth Sailing", bringing a slightly funkier side to band, but there is still that definite Hard Rock sound to both of them. And then, the penultimate track on our sixth adventure through the desert is "I Appear Missing". It is a true Queens of the Stone Age masterpiece. The whole song is epic and unbelievable. It follows suit in other QOTSA songs such as "You Can't Quit Me Baby", "I Think I Lost My Headache" and "A Song for the Dead". We are in old school territory here in terms of song construction. Half of the song is an incredible emotional journey of strength from every band member before going into a complex rhythmic section and then into the solo that just is so very good. It wails and plays around with the fabric of air. It manipulates your senses ins ecstasy.

But, it doesn't end. "...Like Clockwork" ends the album. And the band end the album quietly, but with energy and a brooding bass line to fit. It feels like the end to and epic journey, because it is. The band have improved on their past two albums and made a very good album. This is up there with Rated R, and maybe just ahead of Songs for the Deaf. People will be listening to this, they will be loving this just as we do with their earlier work, for years to come. The only issues I have, is that sometimes it struggles to hold itself in the slower songs, Josh's voice doesn't do as well as in the louder powerful songs, but I can live with that. I can live with this album, I can live with it for decades.

Rated R, Songs for the Deaf, ...Like Clockwork.

Their rejuvenating effects make this the most rounded and melodic QOTSA album in a decade, a triumph snatched from the mortuary doors. [Summer 2013, p.88]
    It’s the kind of album we critics tritely refer to as a return to form but with the massively remarkable beast that ...Like Clockwork royally is, never has the phrase been more fitting.
  3. Jul 17, 2013
    Queens Of The Stone Age lumbers its way through a series of increasingly skronky, sludge-by-numbers jams and sound. [No. 100, p.57]