• Record Label: Motown
  • Release Date: Nov 21, 2000
9.2

Review this album

1. Apr 27, 2015
    This is one of the most beautiful albums I've ever heard in my life. The work that Badu did it's just perfect, from the compositions and productions to the vocals and feelings that she can transmit on all tracks. Just perfect!
  2. Oct 4, 2010
    I listened to this album more than any other during the 00's
  3. Dec 12, 2011
    A freaking genius album that put Erykah on the map for me, and to this day remains a default go to record when I can't decide what to listen to, because I can listen to it in nearly any circumstance or mood. She hits political without getting preachy, and emotional without losing the sexy.

1. A definite work of art, destined to remain in heavy rotation for some time to come.
  2. The Dallas native has created a womb of an album. It's a warm, soft, retreat from the outside world. Reading between the lines, this means no hits.... [but] reading the printed lyrics shows what a wonderful poet she is.
  3. But what makes Badu a source of deep pride for her black audience (and intriguing puzzlement for her ever-growing white one) is that her mysticism produces its most compelling poetry when set against gritty realities such as drug-dealing boyfriends, jealous neighbors, ghetto etiquette, and the constant war on poverty. As a songwriter, Badu's particular gift is being able to work such everyday touchstones into sublime allusions of spiritual rebirth.