Monomania - Deerhunter
8.1

Review this album

1. May 7, 2013
    Ditching the ethereal shoe-gaze pop of 2010's excellent Halcyon Digest, Deerhunter opt instead for a chaotic, raunchy, and maximized interpretation of a rock record, done in Deerhunter's penchant for the bizarre. The influences span from glam rock T-Rex riffing on Leather Jacket II to Americana Johnny Cash on Pensacola. Locket Pundt, the auxiliary song-writer, is rendered to a solely supporting musician, except on the excellent track "the missing." This is Bradford Cox's album, and it is fantastic. I can't think of a more compelling, difficult, and exciting direction Deerhunter could take, and now they are taking rock and roll forward with them. Hopefully more fantastic music like this is on the way. Collapse
  2. May 7, 2013
    Deerhunter follows up Halcyon Digest with Monomania, which favors raw distortion blended with melodic rock n' roll. Its a very calculated change of pace over the ambient shoegaze feel of the last two fantastic records.
  3. May 7, 2013
    Since Deerhunter has not been on my radar much, I felt the best way to give an honest review was to go back a few albums and give their music a more holistic spin. I started with Cryptograms LP (2007). Okay, a lot of experimental blends engaging both modern electronics with conventional instruments. "Lake Sumerset" drew me in, but I'm not feeling the Deerhunter obsession yet...so on to Microcastle LP (2008) I go. Yeah, I know, kinda weird, but I really liked "Calvary Scars" the best from that one. Let's see, now we have Weird Era Cont LP (2008). Whoa, beginning to feel something here and it's obvious the band is growing. "Dot Gain" "Vox Humana" and "Focus Group" grab my attention. Of course next would the infamous Halcyon LP (2010). I certainly can spend some time discussing the merits of this piece of art, but what positive words can I add that hasn't already been said. I love the album! So here we are starring into the eyes of their latest release of Monomania LP (2013). I've already begun to read some negatives out there. WTF? This may be their BEST work to date. Better than Halcyon? Hell, I'll go out on a limb and say YES. The first two tracks let you know right up front that Deerhunter is not going to go conventional or play it safe. It's like someone handed them some chainsaws and said, "...now go carve us an album." Deerhunter replies, "Out of what?" And the voice in the background shouts, "I don't give a f*ck, just make it nasty." So we get Monomania. It may not be exactly the cut of meat you're looking for, but in my opinion, I like my cut a little rare, but not completely raw. This album gives me that and cuts across my earbuds quite nicely. And just remember, they did it with a chainsaw. I give it a 9 out of 10. Play it with volume above normal. Expand

This kind of hunger, this kind of uphill battle and this kind of gritty determination leaks out onto Monomania with tremendous results; the ending fruition is another gleaming winner for Cox and Deerhunter.
  2. Jun 18, 2013
    Monomania is stacked with track-to-track unshakable, albeit twisted, pop melodies and an atmosphere of unrest that will stick with you between repeated listens. [No.99, p.52]
  3. Jun 4, 2013
    Monomania retains those same Deerhunter kernels if you’re willing to forage. You might get your fingers grubby, but the fruit, often deep inside the shell, is still delicious.