Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds - Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds
8.3

Review this album

1. Nov 8, 2011
    Brilliant album by Noel Gallagher. This album truly contains some brilliant songs with wonderful melodies. It is a shame that Noel Gallagher never seems to get proper credit in professional reviews despite making some fantastic songs. People expect him to top Definitely Maybe or WTSMG? every time he records and album. Those are outrageous expectations, but despite that Noel comes with brilliant songs and this album is proof of that. Expand
  2. Nov 9, 2011
    Easily one of the best albums of the year, Noel Gallagher has proven once and for all that he deserves to be placed among the greatest songwriters of not only his generation, but all time. While many music fans and critics pine for the glory days of Oasis, Noel has consistently shown an ability to create high-quality, accessible tunes that beg to be listened to over and over.

Often
    criticized for the simplistic nature of his songs, Noel seems to bask in throwing it in the face of those critics, realizing correctly that making great music does not mean having to reinvent the wheel. Noel admits freely that he is operating at the peak of his abilities at all times and nearly 20 years after he and Oasis burst on to the scene, most other songwriters struggle to keep up.

I don't need to get into each track off the album, but if you want even more proof as to why Noel remains such a potent musical force, look no further than the B-sides that accompany the singles from this album. "A Simple Game of Genius" and "Let the Lord Shine a Light On Me" in particular stand as testaments to Noel's ability to almost nonchalantly pluck classic tracks out of thin air, and are better songs than most acts choose to release as singles.

Simply put, Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds is simply another step in the wonderful musical journey that Noel has led his legions of fans on for years. Hopefully his move to full-time solo artist will finally grab hold here in the United States where for too long people have dismissed anything written by Noel Gallagher not called "Wonderwall" or Champagne Supernova".
  3. Nov 8, 2011
    A real return to form ... the best set of songs by a Gallagher since the 90's. If you liked oasis glory days, don't miss this.

Best songs: Everybody is on the Run (superb), If I Had a Gun, The Death of You and Me, AKA What a Life and AKA Broken Arrow
  4. Nov 8, 2011
    Put simply, this is the best set of songs Noel has produced since (What's the Story) Morning Glory? The album's powerful opening with Everybody's on the Run sets the tone for the rest of the record. The songs Stop the Clocks and If I Had a Gun are the closest Noel comes to the original Oasis style, while the AKAs break new ground. Noel strikes a great balance between traditional Oasis and new material. The only real blip in the album is (Stranded On) the Wrong Beach, a song which I feel lacks punch, and would have been better omitted. Liam's rasping vocals are also missed at times, but some of the songs in Noel's newer style actually suit his cleaner voice better. All in all a triumph, and the album far surpasses Liam's effort with Beady Eye. Expand
  5. Nov 8, 2011
    This is one of those rare albums that only seems to come along once every few years where every single track is golden. No filler whatsoever. It easily stands up next to Noel's best work. There's pretty good variety here with epic orchestral arrangements, softer numbers with heartfelt lyrics and vocal delivery, and some good old fashioned rock 'n' roll.
  6. Nov 26, 2011
    This is a fantastic album. With no weak songs. For whatever reason some critics have it out for noel and would give a negative review no matter what the album sounded like. I also cant understand why this album isnt more popular in north america. This album is exactly what i expected from him.
  7. Nov 23, 2011
    This is a really good album. Noel Gallagher's sticks to what he knows best - classic rock songs with strong melodies, all very well orchestrated. Two reasons this album loses a point from being a perfect 10 - a lack of experimentation and no energetic rockers.
  8. JFH
    Dec 20, 2011
    This album is excellent. While I have always liked Oasis I was never really a rabid fan, but this album I prefer to a lot of the Oasis material. Every song on the album sticks in your mind and there is not one bad song on the entire album, which is something I rarely say even about albums I like a lot. Absolutely one of the best albums I have heard in a long time. Lots of catchy great rock songs. Expand
  9. Jan 23, 2012
    This is the best album Noel has come up with in the past 15 years or so. The album is 'infectious'! It's so good that you won't take your hands off the replay button. 'If I Had a Gun...', 'AKA... What a Life!' and 'Everybody's on the Run' are simply the art of a genius!
  10. Nov 14, 2011
    Fantastic solo album by Noel "God Bless" Gallagher. "Everybody's on the Run" opens as an instant classic. My favorite track "(I Wanna live in a dream in my)Record Machine".
  11. DPR
    Nov 16, 2011
    Noel's best album since Morning Glory. Even the b-sides and bonus songs are excellent (especially Alone On The Rope and A Simple Game Of Genius. The album is strong from start to finish. Dig Out Your Soul started off strong, but the second half of the album was pretty weak. The second half of this album is excellent, with A.K.A Broken Arrow, Soldier Boys and Jesus Freaks, and Stop the Clocks being stand out songs. Expand
  12. Mar 7, 2012
    First off this is a really good album taken on it own, however taking it in context I was expecting a little more. This is Noel Gallagher's first solo effort after almost a decade of being in a democratic Oasis where seemingly every band member gets at least one track on an album regardless of the quality of the song. Outside of a track or two on Don't Believe the Truth, neither Gem Archer or Andy Bell added anything to Oasis and if anything they held the whole thing back with there bland mid tempo rock alongs. So back to this record, I was hoping for a Noel Gallagher doing the things in the studio that he simply couldn't do with Oasis. Unfortunately he's not tread any new ground here. Most of the songs are strong but he's not made the most of the raw material here. Stop the Clocks being a prime example - it's an 8 out of 10 track whereas a little more imagination could have made it a 10 out 10. You wonder how much of the material on the record is really fresh, many of the tracks sound like Noel's really tired of them. This record is almost like The Masterplan Part II. Noel songs that didn't get the Oasis seal of approval. Still really good stuff but not quite fulfilling their potential. After all that criticism, it's still a 9 out of 10 record when it all comes down to it. Expand
  13. Nov 22, 2011
    10, that's right, no doubt about it. This is bloody good! It's a well constructed thoughtful piece of work, there are no rubbish songs, any song from 1 to 10 could be released as a hit, however that's not why this is a 10. It's a 10, because it doesnâ
  14. Dec 5, 2011
    This is the best album I've heard in years. It takes me back to my first discovery of my own tastes in music with Oasis' What's the Story (Morning Glory). Every track has its own great flavor and it keeps going throughout the entire album. I've already listened to it a few times and want to keep hearing it.
  15. Mar 16, 2012
    One of the best album of the year; If I Had a Gun... is an istant classic, Everybody's on the run is epic, Aka...What a Life is my favourite track. I think this is Noel's best album since Morning Glory.
  16. Apr 20, 2014
    the greatest debuts albums, this is one of the best debuts album, is from the chief of Oasis, Noel Gallagher, & the High Flying Birds, The Best Begin with NO END

1. Dec 22, 2011
    Here, for the first time in years, the primetime Gallagher swagger is back, in a more mature form. [Nov 2011, p.94]
  2. Nov 28, 2011
    The fact that this debut hews closer to the Noel we know certainly shouldn't be a disappointment.
  3. Nov 22, 2011
    Wrapped in guitars, strings, brass and reverb like a psychedelic Union Jack, he's in full flashback mode.