Nothing Was the Same

• Release Date: Sep 24, 2013
7.3

Review this album

1. Oct 14, 2013
    Drake for some people has been called a rapper who's not a rapper for certain reasons. Here on "Nothing Was the Same" he's out to prove that he can work with some of the biggest names in the Hip-Hop industry. And while Drake's latest release has some interesting styles, overall I was disappointed and was expecting more, but fans of Drake will no doubt enjoy "Nothing Was the Same". TheDrake for some people has been called a rapper who's not a rapper for certain reasons. Here on "Nothing Was the Same" he's out to prove that he can work with some of the biggest names in the Hip-Hop industry. And while Drake's latest release has some interesting styles, overall I was disappointed and was expecting more, but fans of Drake will no doubt enjoy "Nothing Was the Same". The problem is the overall story, it feels like it's going nowhere, and feels very repetitive towards the middle of the album. The storytelling just seems lost, and Drake doesn't really know what kind of story he wants to tell here, is it an inside look on fame and fortune, or just an album to prove that Drake can rap, it's unclear. Also the album is too long at about sixteen songs it feels like almost every song is a minute or so too long. There are good things here, Drake shines on his slow moving ballads "Hold On, We're Going Home" and "From Time", that show Drake's true colors. The guest appearances are also noteworthy, which include Jay-Z, Jhene Aiko, and Detail, as they land a hand on a couple of songs. And the rhymes, beats, and sounds all sound top-rate (if again repetitive). I was let down by this album and was expecting more, but as a Rap album, it's a solid release for fans of Drake. Expand
  2. Sep 29, 2013
    For the record, I usually don't buy albums but I had to purchase this one because I respect Drake for his honesty and how he keeps it 100..The album is great! Not too many artists is on his level. I must admit I like majority of the tracks on the album. Believe me! You will be happy you bought it.
  3. Sep 24, 2013
    Lyrically, not much of a progress from the last album. Beats however are amazing and 40 did a great job.
    Anyway, "Nothing was the same" is his best album so far.
  4. Sep 24, 2013
    Drake at its finest, whether you were a fan or not this album would definitively blow you away. The music and lyrics are on point and Drake goes on by himself keeping guest rap verses to the minimum.
  5. Sep 24, 2013
    Drake falls maybe two amazing tracks short of greatest rap album of the decade. As it stands I gave him a 9/10 if you can't appreciate Drake you don't understand music. To put it in perspective I listened to Jay-Z's album once. I've listened to Drakes 7 times on repeat just today. His music is on a level of its own. It's almost always ahead if it's time. You listen the first time and it'sDrake falls maybe two amazing tracks short of greatest rap album of the decade. As it stands I gave him a 9/10 if you can't appreciate Drake you don't understand music. To put it in perspective I listened to Jay-Z's album once. I've listened to Drakes 7 times on repeat just today. His music is on a level of its own. It's almost always ahead if it's time. You listen the first time and it's like "I don't get it" after the third time through you find yourself nodding. After the 5th time you begin to understand. The king is here and I don't see anyone taking the throne until he's ready to give it to them. Expand
  6. Sep 24, 2013
    This album is very good. I'm not the biggest Drake fan but songs like "Tuscan Leather" and "Paris Morton Music 2" make me appreciate him more as an artist. This is definitely his BEST album.
  7. Oct 3, 2013
    Good album. Some tracks in there are really great But overall, it doesn't rise to the same level of his previous work. His flow is still as nearly impeccable as it was, and his singing is good well. It's just that in terms of lyrics and beats, it felt like more of the same.
  8. Sep 27, 2013
    No one expected a classic mixtape, but So Far Gone was that and Drake blew up. He got signed to Young Money and in one year he released his debut. Thank Me Later was a very mainstream sounding album and it was criticized for not being as good as So Far Gone. Drake has expressed his dislike for Thank Me Later. Then Drake came out with Take Care, a deep and personal album and arguable hipNo one expected a classic mixtape, but So Far Gone was that and Drake blew up. He got signed to Young Money and in one year he released his debut. Thank Me Later was a very mainstream sounding album and it was criticized for not being as good as So Far Gone. Drake has expressed his dislike for Thank Me Later. Then Drake came out with Take Care, a deep and personal album and arguable hip hop classic. Drake connected with fans and critics on that one, the true successor to So Far Gone. Nothing Was the Same tops anything he has put out yet. Most of the album is not radio-friendly, and what is has already been released as a single. Drake shows his true lyrical capabilities on this album and his flow is unbeatable.

I don't normally throw around classic, but Drake is a hardworking artist and So Far Gone and Take Care are already classics. They were quality albums, sold well, and changed hip hop for the better. Nothing Was the Same is definitely his best work to date. It may not be classic, but it is damn close to classic.
  9. Sep 24, 2013
    Drake's paints a vivid landscape in his 3rd and most defined studio offering. While Take Care was a commercial masterpiece NWTS is a sonic masterpiece. The album plays more like a Nicolas Winding Refn movie then a rap CD... there are no true winners nor losers here. No good guys or bad guys. Even when he brags he almost checks himself at the same time. I've only listened to it from topDrake's paints a vivid landscape in his 3rd and most defined studio offering. While Take Care was a commercial masterpiece NWTS is a sonic masterpiece. The album plays more like a Nicolas Winding Refn movie then a rap CD... there are no true winners nor losers here. No good guys or bad guys. Even when he brags he almost checks himself at the same time. I've only listened to it from top to bottom once but I already know this will be this genre's Pet Sounds. It's complexity aside from the syrupy fantastic Hold On We're Going Home is almost too much to ingest in one sitting. This will be playing in my car, iPhone and computer all fall and winter I'm sure.
    As for one negative reviewer claims this is 13 yr old girl music...I really don't see how a 13 yr old can relate to 90% of this record to be honest. It's kinda sad when the only thing some naysayers can come up with is "Wheelchair Jimmie". It's getting old. Time to get over it and move on with your lives.
  10. Sep 26, 2013
    I don't know if this is Drake best album or not, but is the best album of the year by far....

I put a 9 in all songs, exept Own it, Worst behavior, Connect and 305 To My City who has 8's and 7's, it's so difficult to find a rap album to have all songs good, the last time i see something like that was good kid ma.a.a.d city, but i think this is better......
  11. Sep 24, 2013
    One of the best artist in the game!!! This albums beats sound amazing and are so smooth! Love every song in this album! This is a must get its worth it believe me GET IT!!!!!!!!!!!
  12. Sep 24, 2013
    One of the best albums I've ever heard, period. Right up there with Take Care, if not surpassing it. Drake has really grown as a lyricist, singer, rapper and just overall artist. Nothing Was The Same is an instant classic.
  13. Sep 28, 2013
    Very nice album, it hits creative and emotional highs for Drake and sounds great. Drake fans will dig this but I had a couple of problems with it. Some tracks were just utter rubbish. I don't know how Drake would think that All Me, 305 To My City and Started From The Bottom would be good songs. If he just replaced these tracks and put in more songs like Too Much or Tuscan Leather it wouldVery nice album, it hits creative and emotional highs for Drake and sounds great. Drake fans will dig this but I had a couple of problems with it. Some tracks were just utter rubbish. I don't know how Drake would think that All Me, 305 To My City and Started From The Bottom would be good songs. If he just replaced these tracks and put in more songs like Too Much or Tuscan Leather it would soar. I know that Drake can make good music (Take Care rocked!) but these mediocre beats and horrible lyricism made me roll my eyes. Also may I add that Pound Cake is just depressing? The Jay Z feature is TRASH, I cant believe that he could put Jay to such bad use. My favorite tracks had to be Too Much, Come Thru, Wu Tang Forever and Tuscan Leather. Expand
  14. Sep 24, 2013
    "Nothing Was The Same" is overall a great listen. Drake as a rapper is when he is at his best. Drake as a singer is when he falls flat. I also found some of the hooks to be lazy, repetitive, and left me thinking, "Is he even trying?". I thought the production saved most of the album. There were some songs on here that if it did not have the great beats on the track they would have fell"Nothing Was The Same" is overall a great listen. Drake as a rapper is when he is at his best. Drake as a singer is when he falls flat. I also found some of the hooks to be lazy, repetitive, and left me thinking, "Is he even trying?". I thought the production saved most of the album. There were some songs on here that if it did not have the great beats on the track they would have fell flat. The production is also a more mature and focused sound with more R&B type beats. My favorite songs on this album are the ones where Drake raps because he's good at it. He has great wordplay, punchlines, lyricism, and have what it takes to be a great rapper. Drake sings, and again, I am not a fan only because I feel there are better, real R&B vocalist he could get who could sing better and examples of this are the songs Jhene Aiko and Sampha are features on. I felt Drake believed that we would accept his singing if he dropped a hot verse at the end of his songs after singing a majority of the track, but it doesn't work like that. If Drake continues to sing then he needs to do more songs like, "Hold On, We're Going Home" which may sound hypocritical, but is one of my favorites songs on the album. I really enjoyed how personal Drake got on this album as well. Drake continues to give us a introspective look inside; Fame, family, friends, women, relationships, haters, money, and his position in music. There are more positives about this album than negatives. Even if some of the negatives are bad, the positives are so good it cancels out the negatives. Drake isn't a rapper or R&B artist. Drake is just a guy who makes good music. Drake is in a lane of his own and he's succeeding at it and delivers every album including on, "Nothing Is The Same". Expand
  15. Sep 26, 2013
    His best album to date. No filler at all. I give this a 10 and Take Care a 9.5. Both are classic imo. He definitely showed his evolution on this album.
  16. Sep 24, 2013
    As a rap album, it disappointed as I expected. This is not a rap album, plain and simple. It's too corny/soft to be one. Rappers can be vulnerable, but Drake takes it to another level where it's hard to take seriously. But when you take it for what it is (pop with a little rap and little r&b), there is a decent album here. Drake doesn't push himself lyrically too much if at all, butAs a rap album, it disappointed as I expected. This is not a rap album, plain and simple. It's too corny/soft to be one. Rappers can be vulnerable, but Drake takes it to another level where it's hard to take seriously. But when you take it for what it is (pop with a little rap and little r&b), there is a decent album here. Drake doesn't push himself lyrically too much if at all, but production wise this album is very good. If you can ignore Drake's corny lyrics, you can definitely vibe to his songs since the beats are great and his flow is okay. Drake thinking he is a real rapper when he isn't is what holds the album back. But the production really makes this worth a listen. P.S. the song "305 to my city" is one of the worst songs I heard in a while. It is awful. Expand
  17. Sep 24, 2013
    Drake cements himself as one of rap's greats with this album, the deep woozy production and the songwriting on this is some of his best yet. People still can't take Drake seriously due to his past and that is sad and childish because they are missing out on some of the best music made to day. The album has many interesting samples, a lot of Wu-Tang inspired stuff such as the obviousDrake cements himself as one of rap's greats with this album, the deep woozy production and the songwriting on this is some of his best yet. People still can't take Drake seriously due to his past and that is sad and childish because they are missing out on some of the best music made to day. The album has many interesting samples, a lot of Wu-Tang inspired stuff such as the obvious Wu-Tang forever, and Pound Cake. The song "Furthest Thing" contains one of my favorite interludes with the DJ Screw inspired "smokin drinkin" transition. Too Much is one of Drake's most personal songs and Sampha's hook is impeccable. The song "Worst Behavior" is fantastic, it intends solely to offend the listener, and it accomplishes that well. Overall this album is a masterpiece and one of the best to drop this year. Expand
  18. Oct 11, 2013
    Simply Drake at his best. I don't understand the hate around this guy. Some people really get angry that he is successful and making good music. Lol NWTS is a must buy.
  19. Sep 25, 2013
  20. Sep 24, 2013
    This album is amazing, feels so different from Take Care, its a very cohesive album and tells like a story much like Take Care did but in a more shorter sense, using different sounds, and having a new atmosphere.
  21. Oct 4, 2013
    Drake comes out with his best album, and easily the best rap album of the year. Drake continues to show how he's the best in the game and could very well be in the forseeable future.
  22. Sep 24, 2013
    this album is incredible and the replay value is off the chart. anyone who hates this album is because you hate the artist personally. if have ear for music you'll appreciate the album a lot. The way he blurs the line between r&b and rap is incredible. he definitely gets my vote for album of the year, he is like a great artist of this generation like lauryn hill. the production is amazingthis album is incredible and the replay value is off the chart. anyone who hates this album is because you hate the artist personally. if have ear for music you'll appreciate the album a lot. The way he blurs the line between r&b and rap is incredible. he definitely gets my vote for album of the year, he is like a great artist of this generation like lauryn hill. the production is amazing 40 and bo1da are amazing producer. great album. we 'll see if it's a classic in the coming years. Expand
  23. Sep 24, 2013
    RAOTY. wow.. just incredible album....................................................................................................................!
  24. Sep 24, 2013
    Very good album overall. A whole range of songs touching on Drake's emotions and the production on the album was flawless. Lived up to all expectations I had.
  25. Sep 25, 2013
    This album pretty much sums up the Drake we have all grown to know. When he spits, he spits hard but he's still not afraid to show off his emotional side. This very much feels like a Take Care, what happened next? kind of thing. The lyrics and lack of features shows Drake's more confident than ever, arrogant if you will. If you missed the So Far Gone era Drake on TML and TC, you'llThis album pretty much sums up the Drake we have all grown to know. When he spits, he spits hard but he's still not afraid to show off his emotional side. This very much feels like a Take Care, what happened next? kind of thing. The lyrics and lack of features shows Drake's more confident than ever, arrogant if you will. If you missed the So Far Gone era Drake on TML and TC, you'll probably enjoy this more than any of his other projects so far.

One of the best rap albums in recent years and definitely the biggest. Well done, Drizzy.
  26. Oct 8, 2013
    Without a doubt the best Drake album. At first, I can't say that I wasn't a little disappointed, but that had more to do with my expectations then the quality of the album. I, and I think others, want Drake to pass on the singing, and do a full out rap album. After 3 albums though, it's an idea that I was able to finally let go of, and that allowed me to enjoy the album much more.

Once

Once I embraced Drake's mission with this album, I began appreciating the work much more. 40 does a fantastic job on the production, and I'll say that it is the highlight of the album. The beats are consistent and compliment Drake's style brilliantly.

Drake also does rap more on "NWTS" than on "Take Care" although, they can sometimes be hidden by the more melancholy beats on the album, making the album seem less like a typical hip-hop rap album.
    Overall, a fantastic album that without a doubt benefits from how closely Drake and 40 work together, and how well they compliment each other.
  27. Sep 29, 2013
    Not just the best album drake has made, but probably the best album of its genre in the last few years. Every song is beautifully put together and the album overall shines to show perfection. A truly great effort from drizzy, and somehow manages to be a better album than take care. I thought take care was so good that it would have been the peek of drakes career. A true masterpiece andNot just the best album drake has made, but probably the best album of its genre in the last few years. Every song is beautifully put together and the album overall shines to show perfection. A truly great effort from drizzy, and somehow manages to be a better album than take care. I thought take care was so good that it would have been the peek of drakes career. A true masterpiece and hopefully drake takes home another Grammy because he definitely deserves it. 10/10 from me Expand
  28. Oct 2, 2013
    Not really a first-listen album...not even a second-listen album but once you allow NWTS to seep into your consciousness it engages unlike any other record has in a long time. Very atmospheric & layered once you get over the simplistic notions of some of the tracks. In this sense it almost feels like a illusionist's trick you think you've figured out the album then you listen to it againNot really a first-listen album...not even a second-listen album but once you allow NWTS to seep into your consciousness it engages unlike any other record has in a long time. Very atmospheric & layered once you get over the simplistic notions of some of the tracks. In this sense it almost feels like a illusionist's trick you think you've figured out the album then you listen to it again and it's morphed itself into something else entirely. I won't be able to convince anyone that straight up hates Drake & all that he represents because there's nothing that can alter ignorance but if you are on the fence about NWTS I strongly suggest you put aside any reservations towards the artist & just take in NWTS as a complete piece. You may feel yourself rewarded. Expand
  29. Oct 14, 2013
    one of the best album have listen this year, easy listen replay value is great. drake's bars and melody is better than previous albums. the more time you give the more it grows on you
  30. Oct 16, 2013
    Clearly Drake's best album, this Metascore seems kinda bogus. Why did Popmatters write two reviews? The second take seems like a correction...

Anyway, the album cleans up a lot of the sappier and weaker moments on Take Care and is more genuine and less forgiving. The paradox of nice boy Drake vs Gangster Drake makes more sense where it is contextualised and placed on this album. More organic. Good album.

1. Dec 11, 2013
    Drake has certainly mastered the art of making Drake records. [Nov 2013, p.66]
  2. Nov 26, 2013
    Nothing Was The Same is straight to the point, and in just over an hour, Drake closes the book on Take Care, yet opens the chapter to a brighter future. [Nov 2013, p.89]
    Drizzy’s candid lyrics about battered egos and insecure relationships were refreshing early on in his career, but the persona is wearing thin as he recalls how rich his melancholy has made.