Obsidian - Baths
8.0

Review this album

1. May 29, 2013
    Wow!!! What a wonderful, dark record. To be honest I didn't expect this to be this good, but it is indeed flawless, might actually be one of the best albums I heard this year. "No Eyes" is breathtaking.
  2. May 29, 2013
    This album is beautifully crafted. It's dark, intimate, poetic and so sincere. There is not a song i don't like on this one, from the electronic piano ballad "ironworks", through the synth-popish "No eyes" (with the immortal line: "It's not a matter of if you mean it, but it is only a matter of come and me") till the glitchy and industrially infused "Earth Death" This album is nearly perfect in my opinion. Gonna place it high in the best albums 2013 list. His a brilliant lyricist, classically trained musician that is making amazing IDM. 9/10. Expand
  3. Jun 6, 2013
    This album is truly a treat. I had high expectations for Wiesenfield as I adored Cerulean. He truly outdoes himself. Obsidian is filled with wonderful melodies (see "Ironworks"), off beat feels (see "No Past Lives") and gruesomely personal lyrics ("No Eyes," "Incompatible"). Not only has this album been great as a stand alone masterpiece, but it fits perfectly into music today. It contains universal themes about despair, love, and pain. With hope, this glorious album is not the creative peak for the endlessly inventive 24-year-old, but if it is he has given us the Album of the Year. There is no music like this today. It is original, emotional, dark, twisted, and beautiful. Thank You Mr. Wiesenfield, thank you. Expand
  4. Oct 10, 2013
    A beautifully dark masterpiece. Incredible instrumentals that make you feel. Will's lyrics and interpretation of dark romance and thoughts of dying capture you. Only flaw is that its to vocal heavy, even if his voice is beautiful, It takes away some of the power that his instrumentals show.

1. Jul 23, 2013
    Obsidian makes for a totally immersive plunge and, depending on where you are with your own head when you listen, either a welcome gulp of fresh air in recognition or a chance to hold your breath and dive deeply into life’s darker materials until you have to come back up again.
  2. Jul 10, 2013
    The fatalistic and darkening Gothic moods bring out some of the shiniest elements of his prodigious talent and imagination. [Aug 2013, p.67]
  3. Jul 1, 2013
    This is an extremely strong, varied follow-up from an artist who is yet to fulfil his potential.