Opposites - Biffy Clyro
7.8

Review this album

1. Jan 29, 2013
    This album shocked me. I like Biffy Clyro but they've never been among my favorite bands. I've always felt that their output has been inconsistent, ranging from fantastic (Infinity Land) to mediocre (Puzzle) to poor (Vertigo of Bliss). The thought of a double album from such a hit or miss band was frankly terrifying. I envisioned a bloated mess stuffed full of filler. Amazingly, OppositesThis album shocked me. I like Biffy Clyro but they've never been among my favorite bands. I've always felt that their output has been inconsistent, ranging from fantastic (Infinity Land) to mediocre (Puzzle) to poor (Vertigo of Bliss). The thought of a double album from such a hit or miss band was frankly terrifying. I envisioned a bloated mess stuffed full of filler. Amazingly, Opposites is utterly brilliant! It's easily Biffy Clyro's best album in my opinion. Making a 22 track album with no bad songs is an almost impossible feat but the band totally knocked it out of the park. It's also one of the most emotionally stirring records I've heard for quite some time. Surprisingly excellent stuff for the Clyro! Expand
  2. May 13, 2013
    Awesome album.
    The songs "Black Chandelier", "Opposites", "Biblical", "Stingin' Belle", "Black Magic Formula" and the pretty "Accident Without Emergency" made Opposites the best release of 2013 since now.
  3. Feb 22, 2013
    Every Biffy album has been a 'grower' for me and Opposites is no different.
    On first listen it was a good album, but not as good as their last, on second listen it was better than i first thought and probably on a par with their last. By the third i was hooked and it was easily their best album yet.
    Every Biffy album has been a 'grower' for me and Opposites is no different.

Not one song do i skip when listening to this album, and i usually do find one or two on an album i tend to skip past. Each one i either find myself humming along to or, nobody is around, singing out loud.

Easilymy favourite album right now.
  4. Jan 29, 2013
    I absolutely love this album, I think it has some decent variety with songs like Modern Magic Formula that sounds a bit more like the old Biffy to Spanish Radio that is quite special, to Trumpet or Tap that simply has awesome vocals! The songs to stand out are imo: Different People, Sounds Like Balloons, The Joke's On Us (Best song on album), Modern Magic Formula, Trumpet Or Tap. I likeI absolutely love this album, I think it has some decent variety with songs like Modern Magic Formula that sounds a bit more like the old Biffy to Spanish Radio that is quite special, to Trumpet or Tap that simply has awesome vocals! The songs to stand out are imo: Different People, Sounds Like Balloons, The Joke's On Us (Best song on album), Modern Magic Formula, Trumpet Or Tap. I like all songs, and I might love other songs just as much as I listen to them more. Lyrically I love the album, Biffy has lyrics that range from very heartfelt to **** weird... And I love it, The Joke's On Us and Sounds Like Balloons are top notch lyrically in my opinion. It could have been more raw, but I get that they can't do that on the album. Expand
  5. Aug 30, 2013
    WIth Biffy Clyro's sixth album, the Scottish trio have offered up one of their most complete albums to date and one of the best albums of the year. Opener "different People" starts with singer/guitarist Simon Neil singing over a gently strummed guitar before an explosion of catchy guitar riff and a big chorus takes over. The quality of the first song is consistent right through the album.WIth Biffy Clyro's sixth album, the Scottish trio have offered up one of their most complete albums to date and one of the best albums of the year. Opener "different People" starts with singer/guitarist Simon Neil singing over a gently strummed guitar before an explosion of catchy guitar riff and a big chorus takes over. The quality of the first song is consistent right through the album. Lead singles "Black Chandelier" and "Stingin' Belle" are superb and are among the best the Biff have ever recorded. Elsewhere "VIctory Over the Sun' is a belter and "Accident Without Emergency" is a quitter one which is set to blow the doors off arenas. The title track is a gentle love song. A double album was always going to be risky idea, but Biffy Clyro put those fears to rest and have created a masterpiece of 20 tracks of masterfully crafted arena rock. 'Mon the Biff! Expand
  6. Dec 12, 2014
    This album can be put simply: to those who do not like high powered, kick-ass rock, you will find this album hard to endure. To those who do, this is a masterpiece.

A bona fide, big, stadium-pleasing epic. [Mar 2013, p.95]
  2. Mar 13, 2013
    Fans of Biffy Clyro will dive headlong into these 20 new songs and embrace them as feverishly as anything the band have previously released, but that’s not to say that this record isn’t without its flaws.
  3. Mar 6, 2013
    Opposites is ultimately a surprisingly immediate and rewarding listen, compensating in consistency for what it lacks in depth.