• Record Label: Sony
  • Release Date: Jan 22, 2008
8.5

Review this album

1. Sep 23, 2010
    MGMT's perfectly-executed blend of indie and electronica hits soulful, inspiring, melancholy, and powerful notes from start to finish. One of the truly amazing albums of 2008.
  2. Nov 1, 2010
    MGMT is different. They make me think psychedelic rock, but they use synths to seal the deal. This is hip. This is in. It's memorable and has me on the edge of my seat. Can't wait.
  3. May 23, 2011
    One of the best albums of the decade. Its the lyrics. The catchiness. It is just more than an album filled with one dimensional singles. Even those singles have depth.
  4. Jul 28, 2011
    Oracular Spectacular is a spectacular album. Sure, the first 5 songs may be hard to live up to, but if you listen to the last few tracks with an open mind and heart then you should see that they hold up well on their own. However if you are just looking for the best of MGMT then look no further than the first five songs.
  5. Aug 7, 2011
    This was a great album! A great debut by this group. They represented many genres through their music on this album and that is what I liked about it. It can appeal to people on every level. There is Kids, a radio hit (at least here in PDX), Electric Feel (electronic), Weekend Wars (alternative), and Of Moons, Birds & Monsters (rock). This album can appeal to many types of musicThis was a great album! A great debut by this group. They represented many genres through their music on this album and that is what I liked about it. It can appeal to people on every level. There is Kids, a radio hit (at least here in PDX), Electric Feel (electronic), Weekend Wars (alternative), and Of Moons, Birds & Monsters (rock). This album can appeal to many types of music lovers, especially me.

FAV TRACKS: Kids, Electric Feel, The Youth
  6. j30
    Aug 15, 2011
    Great pop rock album. The opening track is a knock-out. "Time To Pretend" is dark, catchy, and just plain awesome. The rest of the album you're trying to figure out what just hit you.
  7. Mar 5, 2012
    An incredible psychedelic experience that will hopefully in future be seen as a classic , as it brought beauty to a dull market and has helped inspire many other artists.
  8. Jun 1, 2013
    This album is great. There are a lot of great songs on this album such as Of Moons, Birds and Monsters, The Youth, Weekend Wars and much more. I guess the only song I don't like on this album is Time to Pretend, but everything else is great.
  9. Feb 3, 2014
    MGMT makes a breathtaking alternating between psychedelic music from the 60's, rock from the 70's and contemporary electropop. At the beginning, "Time to pretend", prodigious single, sets the bar high; but "Week-end Wars", the second track, intrigues almost as much. And MGMT, over the tracks, surprises and amazes without ever losing us.
  10. Feb 20, 2014
    This is MGMT's best album by far. Each song is fantastically crafted so perfectly to take you on a magical, psychedelic roller coaster. They master every little thing on this album to create something spectacular that hasn't been created just as well on their other albums after. This is one of, if not my favorite album of let alone 2008, the past couple of years entirely when referring toThis is MGMT's best album by far. Each song is fantastically crafted so perfectly to take you on a magical, psychedelic roller coaster. They master every little thing on this album to create something spectacular that hasn't been created just as well on their other albums after. This is one of, if not my favorite album of let alone 2008, the past couple of years entirely when referring to psychedelic, indie rock. Expand
  11. Jul 22, 2014
    MGMT are great. Andrew and Benjamin are incredible and so genius. This album is revolutionary and perfect. Fantastic sounds convey in everybody deep and mystic emotions. MGMT one of the 100 best music artists of the last 50 years. Very very very good album!

1. Oracular may be a complex effort, but the verdict is simple--it's brilliant. [Feb 2008, p.115]
  2. Though the record is slightly front-loaded, there's nary a dud to be found here. [Winter 2008, p.86]
  3. While Oracular Spectacular has its sophomoric moments (you’d be wise to avoid the nasal whine of 'Weekend Wars'), a listen to 'Climbing To New Lows'--a catchy demo set from their undergrad days--will make anyone see what attracted the bigwigs at Columbia in the first place.