Original Pirate Material

8.8

Review this album

1. danielw
    Jun 19, 2008
    Brilliant. the music i normally listen to is rock music, but this album is absolutely fantastic.
  2. Oct 22, 2014
    A modern British Classic. Mike Skinner's spoken lyrics encapsulate a side of British culture that a lot of people around the world would be oblivious to. The beats which accompany the lyrics are flawless in places, especially for 'Turn The Page', 'Let's Push Things Forward' and 'Stay Positive'. By creating fusion between hip-hop and garage, delivered with lyrics in a regional accent,A modern British Classic. Mike Skinner's spoken lyrics encapsulate a side of British culture that a lot of people around the world would be oblivious to. The beats which accompany the lyrics are flawless in places, especially for 'Turn The Page', 'Let's Push Things Forward' and 'Stay Positive'. By creating fusion between hip-hop and garage, delivered with lyrics in a regional accent, Skinner effectively invents his own genre. Not a bad way to introduce yourself to the music industry. Expand
  3. BibianeN
    May 16, 2008
    WONDERFUL. Amazingly, surprisingly goog album!
  4. ChrisD.
    Apr 30, 2002
    its sorted
  5. BryxtonT.
    May 22, 2002
    I'm from Australia and it's safe to say the The Streets have taken over down under too... AN AWESOME album that's bound to go big, no matter what country it's in!!!
  6. HenryH.
    May 25, 2002
    He's not only the saviour of 2-step,but of the whole deadly british music scene.
  7. ManoloT.
    Sep 2, 2002
    classic album. good stuff indeed
  8. RhiannonL.
    Aug 17, 2002
    there is only one word needed to describe this album "wicked". the streets aka mike skinner is a lyrical genius and those who slate him or his album obviusly dont see class music when it slaps them in the face! when will he be doing a tour?
  9. michaeld
    Jul 26, 2002
    Raving is bad. The youth of today are drug addicted whores. I find this album very satisfying Especially "the irony of it all". LOVELY. Look forward to the tour. See you all on the dance floor :-) X (-:
  10. KatyMouldyMilldew
    Aug 20, 2002
    THE best thing to come out of the album music charts in years.. Clever, funny, entertaining, it's one of those albums you'll listen to over and over again and find hard to get sick of... Let's push things forward!
  11. wan
    Aug 26, 2002
    I love this album, it's funny, strange, wonderful.... the best thing I have heard in years, love it!
  12. AnthonyL.
    Sep 10, 2002
    the best album ive heard 4 yearz. da new face of garage
  13. dijital
    Aug 26, 2002
    This is home studio bangers and mash for a new generation, man. Get with it!
  14. StevenP.
    Aug 16, 2002
    The Streets are well and truely Sharp Darts, Spitting Masters!! I just glad to be a passanger!!
  15. JeremyB.
    Aug 16, 2002
    This album is a definite for your collection. This album is amazing for a debut!
  16. IRIEA
    Jul 16, 2003
    I picked this cd up on a whim and oh baby this thing was a jewel! A few of my boys had a listen to it during a session and it grew on them.
  17. askyermammy
    Aug 19, 2002
    a classic already, best tunes I've heard in years and one of my top five albums ever bought .. Empties what is full, fills what is empty and scratches where it itches.
  18. SamA.
    Aug 24, 2002
    Genius. The most original album of our generation. Sam from Canada
  19. MickD
    Aug 30, 2002
    Very 'Relative' .Great to listen to whilst pillin', i cant wait for the sequel.
  20. SumuduB.
    Sep 9, 2002
    BEST ALBUM I'VE HEARD IN AGES!!! the only album that's i've wanted to hear the second i finished it, SUCH AN AWSOME ALBUM! anyone know where i can get lyrics for the songs though (on the net)?
  21. EmmaC.
    Sep 21, 2002
    d album is da best album out,well dun mike ITS GREAT. n mike ur very good lukin!
  22. NseE
    Sep 17, 2003
    Omigosh, wot a fab cd. From 'Turn the page', through 'Has it come to this', 'Weak become heroes', 'The irony of it all'. Cool Brittania!
  23. BobbyF
    Oct 16, 2003
    this cd is awesome
  24. Jong
    Nov 16, 2003
    ABSOLUTELY AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's a shame this album wasnt popular, i guess the public just isint ready for something this real.
  25. Jong
    Nov 16, 2003
  26. AndreasfromNorwayGeving
    Jan 29, 2004
    Really amazing... This is real and the most impressive thing with the album to me is the lyrics. I discover new things when I listen to it today, even though I bought the album early! The best songs is Weak Become Heroes, It's Too Late and Has it Come To This. Amazing!
  27. SpanP
    Feb 5, 2004
    **Thumbs up** :p
  28. catherineR
    Mar 15, 2004
    Its heaps good
  29. TP
    Mar 22, 2004
    an excellent and very innovative album. fave song is 'the irony of it all'
  30. calebm
    Apr 9, 2004
    good

1. Original Pirate Material is England's first great hip-hop record mostly because it isn't a hip-hop record. It's hard to say exactly what it is.
  2. An album whose scope, diversity, wit and heart make it instantly the best album of 2002.
  3. Alternative Press
    While Original Pirate Material isn't as good as the U.K. press hyperbole would have us believe, it does prove that sentiment and sincerity are more interesting than slickness and skills. [Dec 2002, p.96]