Put Your Back N 2 It - Perfume Genius
8.0

Review this album

1. Feb 29, 2012
    Last year's Kate Bush effort, 50 Words for Snow, was built like this one. Then, I was thinking that Kate is a species on extinct. Not really. Mike Hadreas is also able to provide a wonderful set of songs using mostly a piano and the voice. Using this paradigm would be deathly dangerous for the most of so called show-business stars, simply because they have NOTHING TO SAY ABOUT ANYTHING. Both in case of Kate and now Mike, there is a message to listen to. Perfume Genius metaphorically has put his back into lyrics and what could have been a message for gay men became the one which is universal. Expand
  2. Feb 22, 2012
    Fantastically simple or simply fantastic? I think the latter.

Some songs I definitely like more than others, but I can still let this play through and at the end I still think it's too short and replay it. Besides the obvious improvement in recording quality and extra instruments. The guitars create intense flurries of feedback at the exact right moment, and the drums decorate Hadreas'
    frail piano.

Perfume Genius has matured but has kept their immediacy and honesty.
  3. CBN
    Nov 30, 2012
    My 2012 album of the year and it's not even close. The emotions this young man can evoke through these simple songs is unlike anything I've ever experienced. Powerful is not even the right word for it. Otherworldly. I burned this lp and have given it out to more people then I can remember. Everyone should to listen to this album. They have to, they need to.

1. Mar 20, 2012
    Album number two pulls back from that musical and writerly intimacy [found on the debut] - if only slightly - trading a degree of specificity for a degree of universality, and adding just the faintest touch of gloss. [No. 85, p.57]
  2. Mar 7, 2012
    Put Your Back N 2 It is a deeply affecting album, but also a plainspoken one.
  3. Mar 5, 2012
    For all its seriousness, it's the absence of big moments and Hadreas' refusal to give in to easy outs that make what he does so compelling.