• Record Label: XL
  • Release Date: Aug 9, 2011
8.2

Review this album

1. Oct 8, 2011
    I'm unfashionably late to the Horrors disco, after being repelled by the stench of NME, but it seems I arrived just when the party was in full swing. I've since dosed my speakers in their marvellous preceding albums, but while they can hold their own in a bar fight, 'Skying' magnificently transcends these albums. The album title proposes a band that have reached an artistic climax, anI'm unfashionably late to the Horrors disco, after being repelled by the stench of NME, but it seems I arrived just when the party was in full swing. I've since dosed my speakers in their marvellous preceding albums, but while they can hold their own in a bar fight, 'Skying' magnificently transcends these albums. The album title proposes a band that have reached an artistic climax, an empryean eruption of psychedelic resonance, and indeed these Southend-On-Sea lads are surfing the clouds.

Far from the early gothic Nick Cave/Birthday Party influences that have seasoned their early work, they have reinforced the wonderful post-punk Joy Division backdrop of their predecessor with a richer, more chromatic sound. The doors are torn down with the blinding Hacienda-tinged â
  2. Dec 13, 2011
    Great album, love the electronic sound of the album, very wide.
    Sure it's all been done before but who cares, what's good is good.
    Loved Primary Colours also but i think this album is more in balance....

1. Nov 22, 2011
    The Horrors manage to balance vinyl excavation with experimentation and a huge dollop of pop magnificently. [Aug. 2011, p. 90]
  2. Aug 29, 2011
    Skying proves a maturing for the band and unveils a new realm of sonic possibilities.
  3. Aug 15, 2011
    If Primary Colours still left any doubt, Skying makes it certain that The Horrors have moved on from the shadow of the (unfortunate) title of being NME darlings and into a realm where their future releases become something to mark on the calendar.