Stars Of CCTV - Hard-Fi
8.3

Review this album

1. Dec 15, 2010
    An album that tries too hard to push its working class motives. That is the only thing that this album suffers from since I am not convinced about how the vocalist sings about the hardships of the British working class but aside from all of this, it's a cleverly layered album with catchy, joyful but strangely dark songs with Clash like guitar and crowd like atmosphere.
  2. May 6, 2013
    Coming along around the same time as Bloc Party, with similar themes, Hard-Fi lack the edge of their mid-noughties Indie Rock counterparts. Stars of CCTV is a reasonably impressive debut but is over produced. At times this production saves some of the more mediocre moments but too often the production serves to make the record sound like a million other things you'll have heard at theComing along around the same time as Bloc Party, with similar themes, Hard-Fi lack the edge of their mid-noughties Indie Rock counterparts. Stars of CCTV is a reasonably impressive debut but is over produced. At times this production saves some of the more mediocre moments but too often the production serves to make the record sound like a million other things you'll have heard at the time. Worth checking out and picking out the handful of decent tracks on there. Expand
  3. Dec 21, 2014
    Much to the surprise of the pub, I attempted ‘Living for the Weekend’ at Karaoke-it was an interesting experience to say the least!
    While I enjoyed it, members of the pub were somewhat bemused at this band who they most probably had never heard before. I feel like this reaction reflects the general reaction to this album; catchy tunes, great lyrics in patches, but, for a British rock band it lacked the variety of their contemporaries, namely Kasabian and the Arctic Monkeys.
    There are some sumptuous doses of magic in this album. Indeed, the band conjured up a catchy rhythm in ‘Living For the Weekend’ a superb social narrative through the lyrics of ‘Tied Up Too Tight’ and ‘Middle Eastern Holiday’ as well as an catchy guitar riff in ‘Gotta Reason’ (also used in the Goal movie.)
    While some of their efforts appear laboured; ‘Move on Now’ and ‘Unnecessary Trouble’ this album is well worth a decent listen for British/alternative rock fans.

1. A rousing debut. [Aug 2005, p.123]
  2. An album of tight and spiky blue-collar dance rock. [17 Mar 2006, p.114]
  3. "Stars of CCTV" is that rare British import that lives up to the advance billing.