Summer Sun

8.9

Review this album

1. neil
    Apr 2, 2003
    perfect summer record, yo la tengo has done it again! much more sophisticated than anything new this year.
  2. natalieg
    Jul 15, 2003
    Brilliant!
  3. DavisH
    Apr 19, 2003
    Hilarious...a wild rollercoaster ride!...
  4. AaronB
    Aug 31, 2006
    Best album yet from YLT. They simpy get better and better. Yes, it is quieter, but also more melodic and musical. I love all their stuff, but this is the best.
  5. RobbieC
    Jul 22, 2007
    More consistent than their past albums. A beautiful and dreamy ride... truly sun-dappled and sand-cushioned, exuberant and at times silly. One of my favorite albums of all time.
  6. AndrewR
    Apr 16, 2003
    A monumental achievement.
  7. stefanome
    Apr 20, 2003
    Absolultly brilliant!!!!
  8. TheAucklander
    Apr 30, 2003
    Presently having a little difficulty getting this off my playlist. I hear shaes of Lloyd Cole and Wilco - and is that Jefferson Airplane making a guest appearance on track 9? Thoroughly nice.
  9. NickD
    Feb 17, 2004
    I only had to listen once to get hooked to the entire album. From the samba-tinted sound of "Season of the Shark" to the minimalist "Nothing but You and Me," this album does it all. That is, it does it all but get loud. But, this is a summer album. Remember, chill out, drink beer, and listen to this.
  10. JimB
    Mar 27, 2005
    I absoutely love "Today Is The Day"! Georgia has the voice of an angel. But all said,this album is not nearly as consistent as prior gems,though still a delight for the most part.

1. Reveals Yo La Tengo's understanding of stasis without stagnation.
  2. Summer Sun is so mellow and pretty that it feels uncharitable to call it one of their weakest albums in recent memory; many bands would kill to make music this accomplished.
  3. Mojo
    A set of busy beautiful whispers, 62 minutes of exquisite suspended animation. [Apr 2003, p.87]