6.2

Review this album

1. Nov 22, 2011
    The new Queen of Pop Music (at the moment) seems to be repeating herself. When Rihanna showed her darker side on Good Girl Gone Bad, Rated R, and Loud, it was genuinely intriguing and captivating. This was where the superstar in her always lay. Those three albums were very enjoyable with Rihanna really maturing and knowing how to make every single track sound like a hit. Talk That Talk on the other hand, seems rushed and unfinished and most of all, repetitive. Sure you got the occasional shocks like "Suck my **** and lick my persuasion" (pronounced puss-asion) but nothing as gripping as "Man Down" or "S&M". Highlights exist (the return to classic Rihanna title track and "We All Want Love") but nothing that is certified hit status. Instead of an album made with effort yet still balancing pop sensibilities, fans get probably her weakest record. Being a prolific artist isn't everything if efficiency does not equate to consistency. Maybe the Queen needs a little vacation. Expand
  2. Nov 24, 2011
    EPIC DISASTERPIECE!!!, The Only good songs are You da one, talk that & Red lipstick. Thats it :/ 2/5. Her WORSE album to date! & I thought loud was Generic :?
  3. Nov 22, 2011
    Boring Album! the lyrics and the melody are weak and confused. This is the album it more generic, with the sole aim to be successful in the charts. Rihanna needs to take a vacation. She no longer has musical identity.
  4. Jan 3, 2012
    I'm sorry to say this, but this is a huge disappointment. It just wasn't a good album like her previous ones. One the positive side, she is a hit-maker, but some how she can't reach number 1 on the Billboard 200 Album Charts. Sorry, but I had no choice but to give her a bad review.
  5. Nov 21, 2011
    We Found Love and Farewell are really good songs, but it's all.
    It seems like you are listening to the same song again and again. The lyrics are totally fail, no feeling.
    Loud is much better.
  6. Nov 21, 2011
    Loud was one of my favourite albums of 2010. It had alot of catchy songs, great beats and had very high production values. Not a perfect album, but it was alot of fun. Now just a mere one year later after Loud came out, Rihanna was desperately trying to recreate the success of her last album, but pretty much it failed on many counts. Talk That Talk has taking out alot of the fun from Loud and simply just throwed it out the window with alot of terrible repetitive lyrics and recycled material from her previous releases, you can't help but feel that this album is nothing more than a rushed, cashed-in product. While Loud did had sexual lyrics, I didn't really mind it on that album and it's offensive in a fun way but Talk That Talk is simply offensive. The sexual tone is forced, the lyrics are repetitive on alot of the songs, and it sounds too similar to her previous releases. There are still some good songs on the album believe it or not. My favourites are the self-titled track with Jay-Z, We All Want Love, Drunk on Love, Do Ya Thang, and Calvin Harris Extended Mix of We Found Love. You Da One, Where Have You Been and We Found Love (Original) are alright but nothing special. Rihanna's vocal performance is a hit and miss affair. Some songs she gives really good vocals but on other songs on the album I felt like she wasn't even trying. The worst songs on the album are the ones that are either offensive, boring or forgettable. **** (I Love It), Birthday Cake, Watch n' Learn and Red Lipstick are just sex songs that'll make you feel dirty just by listening to them, Roc Me Out sounds too much like Rude Boy, and Farewell and Fool in Love are the emotional songs that you have heard from her so many times before and its now gone old. Overall Talk That Talk is a mixed bag. While there are still some highlights, the album is a huge downgrade compare to her previous albums. I wouldn't be surprised if she does another album next year. I know this sounds cheesy but I'm gonna say it anyway: She can't really "Talk the Talk", so she mind as well "Walk the Walk". 2.5 stars out of 5 Expand
  7. Nov 23, 2011
    Unfortunately this album left a lot to be desired. I found the album to be trite, uninspiring and lackluster. Rihanna is definitely in need of a long extended break from the music scene.
  8. Nov 21, 2011
    Rihanna is that kind of artist that goes with whatever's hot at the moment. There's no music artistry, no connection to the (awful) lyrics. Don't waste your time with this.
  9. Nov 21, 2011
    One of my most anticipated pop albums of this year... Unfortunately I was left disappointed. There's no artistic growth. The songs sound unfinished and rushed. There's no song that blow you away... Really disappointed with this!
  10. Nov 21, 2011
    "Talk That Talk" seems like it is an EP rather than an album. It's too short and it sounds very unfinished. It's a very safe record by Rihanna with the same tired Euro dance formula and her emotionless, bland ballads.... One of the most sentimental tracks "Farewell," wants to be good, but she fail to produce the emotion to make it great. Overall a very terrible album.
  11. Dec 4, 2011
    I really liked GGGB and Loud, but this was a huge disappointment. It was rushed, derivative and lazily produced and written. It should have been called Good Girl Gone Bad 2: Rated NC-17 since it adds so little to Rihanna's tableau. So many of Rihanna's vocals are auto-tuned and many songs sound unfinished including **** (Love It) and Birthday Cake, which was half a song! The sound is the same David Guetta sound that is being done to death on the radio, and many of the slang song titles sound like she's trying to be cool. Highlights are there though, including Where Have You Been, We Found Love, We All Want Love and Drunk on Love. This album is undoubtedly rushed and a dip in standards from GGGB and Loud. Perhaps Rihanna should take a break for two or three years and take time with her next album. Expand
  12. Dec 3, 2011
    So called "princess of pop" would be wise to stick to one genre, instead of multi-dipping in electronic rave from Harris, less-then-unoriginal teary ballads and reggae rhythms. I wish I could support her bipolar attempt to rule all kinds of dancefloors, but I simply don't seem to be able to follow her.
    Talk That Talk is an overproduced, shallow album with absolutely nothing ambitious and
    enjoyable. Expand
  13. Nov 30, 2011
    A rushed album. That's the perfect subtitle for this CD. After a satured album, 'Loud', Rihanna launches a new one after only one year. And it's not that good. Very far for the excellent work she did on 'Rated R' (her best album), she makes a techno (dumb) pop album. Nothing special to listen, the whole album seems some making-money strategy!
  14. Nov 21, 2011
    I think this one is really a STEP BACK from her other albums! You Tha One 3/5 (like it until the chorus, by the second one, i have to change the song. Whats My Name b-side) Where Have U Been 4.5/5 (the flaw: after the chorus seems like a david guetta song, rip-off of LMFAO, although the acoustic guitar save it for me) We Found Love 5/5 (mehh at first, pretty cool right now, 5 for her standards, not a 5 at all in comparison with other songs) Talk That Talk 1.5/5 (????? a jay-z track? my **** GOD. what the hell is this **** (love it) 3/5 (there's something about this song that's not right, but the guy's freaky sounds, AMAZING. catchy, but a litlle bit boring as well) Birthday Cake 1/5 (cause i can't give 0/5! and they want this **** in full. for what? to hear cake for more 2 minutes???) not edgy riri, just ****! We All Want Love 2.5/5 ( cute kinda-ballad (mid-tempo) but feel a little too dated. it seems like a song that could be in rated R. not bad, not groundbreaking, just mehh) Drunk On Love 2.5/5 (the recycled Te Amo beat with vocals with a little bit more atittude. just that. the chorus is really weak. the thing about this song, are the chants in the background of the track and that kinda bamboo-blings) Roc Me Out 3/5 (here we have another recycled beat. it's like Rude Boy and Rock Star had a child that it's cousin to Te Amo. The triple tread Rihanna, Stargate and Ester Dean, are too over-used by rihanna. this is the song that aproxes the most to S&M vocally speaking!) Watch n Learn 1.5/5 (here we go again with the island flavoured song that's 1st degree cousin to whats my name. and we've had enough of that song for the past year and a bit of this one. bad song! Farewell 4.5/5 (although u can see the similarities between this one, love the way you lie, fire bomb and another bunch of ballads of rihanna's Rated R. this one is really good, even though farewell hasnt the same strength vocally as California King Bed, it could surpace the success of the last. after a few listens it may become too flat.

Review!!! The thing is that i think Talk That Talk is the worst album by Rihanna (i'm not counting the first 2 albuns) It doesnt has the single material as Good Girl Gone Bad; "edginess" and fragility of rated r; neither the sound and yelling as Loud... and by that it's not a body of work, we can totally see that the album was made on the top of the knees, with not too much time, too much work, and storys, just a bunch of good producers. where Good Girl Gone Bad was epicness, Rated R "showed the things that she was going through"; and Loud take her to the top of the charts with songs that catapulted her to the clubs, Talk That Talk just TALKs about sex, and sex and sex and i don't know if she need desperately a man or one thousand... but u can see that this was going to be a Loud re-release, that then after plans scrapped, they try to build it around Loud with glimpses of Rated R. Certainly, Rihanna doesn't want us to forget, what sex is about and how to make it!!
  15. Nov 21, 2011
    There is no Doubt that she rushed this album, having her world tour and all, made the outcome of it her worst album out of the six. with little if any originality to it , Think of this album as a ''Rated R Part 2 '' :/ ''Loud'' and ''Good girl gone bad'' will always be the best :)
  16. Nov 21, 2011
    this gurl giving me this mess after the anthems from LOUD gave me lifeeee no no no riri this 0 is well deserved
    give me rudeboy 2.0 not rudeboy 0.5 and i dont want songs about damn pastries although i will say **** is my reason to LIVE tonight the rest are negatives
  17. Nov 21, 2011
    Talk That Talk es un disco con gran fuerza comercial debido a que sigue la moda pop electronica del momento, sin embargo es tan pasajero que probablemente al cabo de 1 o 2 años la gente ya se haya olvidado del disco, no tiene canciones que puedan "marcar la historia pop musical del momento", en pocas palabras es un disco muy comercial pero con poca transcedencia para la musica.

El disco vuelve a repetir la formula que le llevó al exito mundial en 2007 con Umbrella: letras faciles y pegadizas + ritmo del momento + rapero. Rihanna no evoluciona con su musica, va por su sexto disco de estudio, de los cuales 2 son bastante exitosos y sin embargo parece ser completamente irrelevante.

You Da One, We Found Love, Talk That Talk,... son canciones distintas que suenan absolutamente iguales, quizas por el hecho de que Rihanna no haya descansado ni 2 meses desde Rated R y no ha dejado de saturar el mercado musical con miles de singles.
  18. Nov 21, 2011
    This is a horrible album. I hope she do some more real r&b. I love her, but I don't like "Talk That Talk" at all. She's trying too hard to be she wants to be. Maybe slow down and have a rest.
  19. Nov 22, 2011
    Cake cake cake cake cake cake cake cake cake cake cake cake cake cake cake cake cake cake cake cake cake cake cake cake cake cake cake cake cake cake cake cake cake cake cake cake cake cake cake cake cake cake cake cake cake cake cake cake cake cake cake cake cake cake cake cake cake cake.
  20. Nov 22, 2011
    What an underwhelming pop record. Probably the worst of the year. The vocals sound tired. The production sounds rushed. The ballads lack emotion and are dull. There's no artistic growth whatsoever...
  21. Nov 22, 2011
    This cd is such a disappointment! Talk the Talk may be the only good song on the whole cd. She definitely needs to take a little mini break after this and get back on track!! She lost the r&b and is letting the euro music take over her whole cd.
  22. Jul 15, 2012
    There's a difference between sexy and down right nasty/disgusting! Even if you buy this album get the edited version...my gosh she talks about her self with no respect what so ever! She can't sing, cant dance, the only thing she does properly is being a slut. There I said it...besides....we're ALL thinking it!!
  23. Nov 26, 2011
    I don't like this album!!! Too bad songs, include "We found Love". My score is 0/10.
  24. Nov 26, 2011
    A Zero may sound severe but im being honest telling you, this album is really that bad. Its superficial (in a bad way), cheesy, boring, unoriginal and unispired. Dont waste your time listening to this like i did, dont waste your money buying this sad generic album, there are hundreds of real artists who really deserve the attention and support.
  25. Mar 30, 2012
    I expected so much more with this album . First single was amazing and then the disaster came in . Don't like the most of the songs , they are very cheap bronx - related crap x
  26. Jan 5, 2012
    Rihanna, like most pop artists, dabble into heavy electronic beats to make for lazy songwriting. Rihanna's past works wern't the musical opus of the 21st century, but at least they had decent hooks and a nice feel. Like the Black Eyed Peas, she's gone from a guilty pleasure to a throwaway pop act. This album should've just been called "The I've Stopped Trying Chronicals, Vol. 1". In a world where talents like Adele, Bon Iver Feist exist, why do we keep listening to Rihanna? Expand
  27. May 20, 2012
    If I have to review this album with 2 adjectives: cheap & overproduced. The production of "Talk that talk" has been clearly rushed since Rihanna had her world tour to accomplish. The lyrics are poor (90% per cent of the tracks talk about sex)
    The quality standard definitely went down since her last album "Loud", and musically speaking Rihanna adds up nothing original. "Where Have You Been"
    could be a disco hit but clearly has nothing to do with the rest of the album, since it's a dancehall- electronic song, while the rest has an R&B/ Reggae print.
    I admire Rihanna and her career, but this has been her worst album.
  28. Mar 24, 2013
    I'm starting to doubt if Rihanna has any talent left. She started out so great and sensational, but where has all of that gone? Every song is drowned in autotune and many don't stand out very much, other than "Where Have You Been" and "We Found Love."
  29. Aug 30, 2013
    Fumbling through the numbers, Talk That Talk is an identity crisis. Attempting to marry the dance-pop, urban, and ballad-leaning sides of Rihanna, it is a melting pot of goop. With production above par, the lyrics are at their worst. However, Rihanna makes the best of even goop, and delivers on each track in a way that each track feels as more than an album filler. But on an album where pacing is non-existent, it caters to the cherry-picking iTunes masses. Talk That Talk simply does not work as an album. Expand

1. Musically, this is pop without shame‑-her hookiest and most dance-targeted album.
  2. Nov 30, 2011
    It's sure to sell on brand recognition alone, but I doubt a series of mannered and soulless hooks are going to find much life outside of the European remix circuit.
  3. Nov 29, 2011
    It's easy to criticise Talk That Talk but it's actually a fun and enjoyable record.