• Record Label: Heavenly
9.0

Review this album

1. DrewH
    Oct 20, 2002
    I just grabbed this CD a few days age WOW. The last time I heard a master piece like this was Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon. I can't get Enough
  2. SteveM.
    May 10, 2002
    This is, without a doubt, one of the most beautiful albums I have ever come across. From the moment I first heard it, I was absolutely blown away. Each song has so much detail and innovation and does so without losing its touch of melody and expression.
  3. DavidS.
    Jul 12, 2007
    Brilliant album. As was Lost Souls. There Goes The Fear must be one of the most perfectly crafted songs of the last decade. An album to come back to time and again.
  4. afdsdfdf
    Jun 9, 2002
    Great album.
  7. BenR.
    Aug 20, 2002
    Outstanding, could not fault it in any way, can't understand why this is not sitting proudly at the top of the album charts mind you sales levels rarely matches quality.
  8. LT
    Nov 2, 2003
    absolutely brilliant - I loaned my copy to a friend and I am seriously considering buying another because I don't think I'll see it again otherwise...
  9. OnderO.
    Apr 9, 2008
    This is the best Manchester dark band then joy divisions' lp's.
  10. MacM
    Oct 8, 2002
    Zero competition for album of 2002 so far. Surpasses Lost Souls by a slender mile and is great in every way possible.
  11. AndyW.
    Jul 22, 2002
    This is one of the best produced albums ever. The range of sound and effects is almost magical. I have listened to some tracks countless times but each time I hear something new.
  12. harryc
    Oct 26, 2003
    amazing - go buy it now. uplifting melodic tunes.
  13. LawreceP
    Mar 13, 2005
    Even the indie kids will admit this is a masterpiece. "Pounding" is the most amazing song.
  14. Joris
    Mar 26, 2005
    One of the most beautiful and complete albums I ever heard. From the magnificent David Lynch inspired Intro to Pounding to less known gems like The Sulphur Man, all of the songs are so much more than everything on Some Cities.
  15. LaurenO
    Aug 24, 2005
    This is album is class! It has so many different qualities, it can be haunting, happy, relaxing and rocky. It has a song to fit every emotion and can be a very comforting album when you need it, one of my favourite ever albums!
  16. DavidO
    Aug 24, 2005
    A truly magical collection of euphoria, desolation and frantic energy, this is without doubt the best of the Doves three (excellent) albums, and definitely one of the best rock albums of the 1990's. Truly moving on from their Sub Sub background, this album is a remarkable show of confidence that has been so well conceived and executed, one wonders what on earth they were doing in the A truly magical collection of euphoria, desolation and frantic energy, this is without doubt the best of the Doves three (excellent) albums, and definitely one of the best rock albums of the 1990's. Truly moving on from their Sub Sub background, this album is a remarkable show of confidence that has been so well conceived and executed, one wonders what on earth they were doing in the Dance genre for so long (if at all). In what has to be one of the most atmospheric and melodic albums produced in the 1990's, there are no weak tracks present; each song touching upon a different style of the genre, telling its own story, and conveying its own, thoughtfully crafted vibe. To summarise: (as if it was not clear already..) A magnificent and ultimately accomplished piece of musicianship, a lesson as to how Britpop/Rock/Indie should be done. Long may the Doves continue in this rich vein of form. Expand
  17. GarryK.
    Oct 19, 2007
    In my opinion one of the best albums ever made. There are so many great songs I can't possibly choose a favourite.
  18. Elliott
    Nov 12, 2002
    An elegant ride into depressing happiness. Along with Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, Scarlet's Walk, and Geogaddi, The Last Broadcast is among the very best albums of the year.
  19. MartinB
    Dec 1, 2002
    Absolutely brilliant. Second only to "Original Pirate Material". Get both.
    May 27, 2002
    this album isn't overproduced like Oasis' be here now. Are you deaf?
  21. RobertT.
    Jun 12, 2002
    superb 2nd release from this band. go get it now !
  22. DaveL.
    Aug 22, 2002
    Absolutely astounding album....melodies will stick in your head for days.
  23. MatthewS
    May 29, 2003
    Please do yourself the favor of listening to this remarkable album. Though its beauty and majesty may at first elude you (as it did me), give it time and you will realize how essential "The Last Broadcast" is. Truly stunning, and an absolute must have for all lovers of thoughtful, heartfelt, and honest pop-rock (especially the British variety!)
  24. Kenny
    Feb 23, 2005
    This is the type of nominal band that only gets better with age... the type of band that is mostly absent from the image laden world of the 21st century.. Every song is a soundscape, to be entrenched within, only to find something new each time..
  25. joshfajitas
    May 28, 2002
    Really great music from a band that's evolving with every release. It's more optimistic from their first LP, and musically more mature. Definitely worth buying, people...this one is keeper that you'll keep coming back whenever you want to feel uplifted.
  26. someonewhoknowsmusic
    Jun 8, 2002
    Ok. I bought on the release day. Heard there goes the fear and some of the songs via the internet. Yes, I thought it was an ok album BEFORE I bought it. Then I listened to the whole thing. The melodies stuck after 2 listens then I found myself hitting review 100x on certain parts of each song just to hear something special another time. This album got some cruddy reviews from some popular Ok. I bought on the release day. Heard there goes the fear and some of the songs via the internet. Yes, I thought it was an ok album BEFORE I bought it. Then I listened to the whole thing. The melodies stuck after 2 listens then I found myself hitting review 100x on certain parts of each song just to hear something special another time. This album got some cruddy reviews from some popular sites and mags, but who really cares? Linkin Park 4 stars? What??? huh, umm whatever im 25 not 14. Granted I used to eat that stuff up in my teens but Doves is a great listen to me now. The music is deep and takes on a meaning of its own. This is an album that won't leave my changer until late 2003. Expand
  27. CaitrionaM
    Sep 25, 2002
    I only got to listen to the album 3 times before it got nicked but I still think it surpasses Lost Souls which is a very hard thing to do.....The Pounding is one of those songs that could never get tiresome...I cant wait to buy it again!!!!
  28. TimE.
    Jan 13, 2005
    A groundbreaking masterpiece! Everything Coldplay should have been.
  29. attaboy
    Dec 15, 2005
    it's been 3 years since the release of this record, and it is just as entrancing and intriguing now.
  30. danb.
    Dec 25, 2005
    everything's these boys touch turns to gold. admittedly, though, the album is top heavy.
  31. toddp
    May 28, 2003
    All the indie posturing in the world cannot change the fact that this is a beautiful record.
  32. Nov 29, 2011
    Pretty good overall. This has a few snore moments and a few genius moments. A bit like this band throughout their career in my view. It's worth listening to this album just to hear Pounding. Great track.

One of the most stunning and gorgeous records of this young decade.
    Doves have delivered, with honesty and affection. All other guitar bands this year will seem like a scratchy sideshow. [Jun 2002, p.110]
    A damn good sophomore effort. [#54, p.86]