The Meadowlands

Review this album

1. Eurospeaking
    Mar 9, 2005
    I thought indie was dead and buried. Sadly... it's not! This CD mainly contains a sickening mix of immature ballads and nerdy skaterboi-up-tempo tracks; obviously made to please pubertile 14 yos with an issue...
  2. JamesS.
    Aug 10, 2007
    Someone must have paid a pretty penny to have Q-magazine to lie and bring their metascore down. This is truely a one band in a million's masterpiece. If you spread the songs out over ten different albums with a bunch of filler (ala major label spin), ever one of these songs would be a hit single. The Wrens deserves so much more respect and praise.
  3. NattyB
    Oct 17, 2003
    This album is as heart-rending as Secaucus was eerily rocking. This is one of the best albums I own. If anyone can better express pain, betrayal, and weary disillusionment, I have yet to see it.
  4. RonG
    Nov 6, 2003
    Serves as both the perfect gift for the girl you can't get out of your mind and the perfect kiss-off to the girl you can't seem to get out of your life.
  5. SteveGozdecki
    Oct 3, 2003
    Almost unbelievable.
  6. ScareCr0w
    Oct 3, 2003
    First off, Steve Gozdecki at is an idiot. 'She Sends Kisses' is one of the most beautifully crafted songs this year. Schlocky? No, Steve, not 'schlocky'.
  7. monkeyboy
    Jan 10, 2004
    mature losers at love
  8. ASault
    Jun 26, 2004
    If you like indie rock, you must buy this album
  9. TKlassen
    Jul 2, 2004
    I recently ranked my top 70 LPs of the 'modern rock' era (1977-present) for a friend to peruse... 'Meadowlands' I listed at No. 3, if only because I thought being out less than a year I couldn't place it No. 1... I am however fairly sure this album will hold up to the test of time... it kicks my a** and gives me goosebumps with each and every listen
  10. Jasont
    Sep 18, 2004
    Highly recommended. This album is basically for everyone that likes a good melody, not just indie rockers or pseudo hipsters. This is a band that should be selling out much larger venues than shite nu-metal and "the vines-esque" bands are.
  11. jamess
    Oct 25, 2005
  12. HollisH
    Jan 5, 2005
    Perfect. Thanks guys.
  13. AaronS
    Oct 7, 2005
    An amazing, tasteful collection of indie rock. Not only was this best album of 2003, it's also the best album that I have heard so far in this decade.
  14. henkvanb
    Oct 9, 2005
  15. DouglasV
    Mar 1, 2005
  16. NaytivG
    May 2, 2005
    This one CD has been a wonderful insight into the vision and spirit of the Wrens. It shows a real creative progression. The tempo is unpredictable and ultimately very satisfying. I can't wait for the next one.
  17. SethH
    Jul 20, 2005
    This is an incredible album. It takes everything that was good about the Wrens' previous albums and matures it into something far better than anyone could have wished for. Absolutely essential.
  18. JoshB
    May 27, 2006
    Amazingly complex from great all around songs like "happy" all the way to pumped up rocking tracks like "per second second". Best CD I've owned....ever.
  19. JustinC
    Sep 14, 2006
    Buy a CD, put it down after a year or so of straight listening, pick it back up, and realize, "Hey, this really is one of the greatest CDs of all time"
  20. JohnR
    Feb 15, 2007
    It takes a lot of listens to fully get it but this is the greatest album I've ever played and ai've played a few thousand!
  21. abef
    Nov 10, 2003
    you gotta be kidding, right? where's the filler?? I've been conditioned through years of industry abuse to tune out at least half of an albums songs. but now I have to maintain rapt attention for all 56 minutes?
  22. BlakeP
    Oct 13, 2003
    It's good, but that "Kisses" song does stink, Scarecrow.
  23. wackyman
    Oct 17, 2003
    Apart from visions of the jesus and mary chain through their music, the wrens are building on a fine, personal stylished indie/shoegazing sound. the music is beautiful and it feels like they play it with such ease. Great effort!
  24. pacohdez
    Dec 23, 2003
    Fabulous & superb...
  25. jamiek
    Dec 2, 2003
    i've watched the wrens grow musically from the beginning. with each year and turn, they grow more and more. they have certainly outdone thenselves with this album. absolutly magnificent!
  26. TerryS
    Dec 3, 2003
    This get's my imaginary vote for Best Album of 2003 - splendid on dizzying levels.
  27. timd
    Dec 8, 2003
    Best album of the year! "The Meadowlands" is like "Almost Famous" ten years after the band didn't live up to their hype recast with casualties of the post Nirvana indie flood. Beautiful and heart breaking. Like "All That You Can't Leave Behind" for people that cherrish Pavement over R.E.M.
  28. RickS
    Oct 7, 2003
    An obvious instant-classic, put it in the indie rock cannon next to Slanted and Enchanted, I Can Hear The Heart Beating As One, and White Blood Cells. One of those records that reminds you why you're a rock geek.
  29. JeffH
    Oct 8, 2003
    I've heard of the wrens on a sampler Cd I bouth in '96. Thoose two songs have left such a big impression for me to track them down today. I beleive that they are on of the best band I have heard. "Good rainy day music that will put you in a good mood."
  30. RayS
    Oct 8, 2003
    this album is good, really really good, so good that I listened to it seven times the day I got it. everyone needs to own this album, everyone will like it.

1. The Meadowlands is absolutely essential.
  2. With about twenty killer lines or couplets per song, unexpected hooks coming from everywhere and one of the most ingenious track sequences of the year, it’s not really so hard to imagine what The Wrens have been doing all this time.
  3. With all four members taking the mic, cohesion should hardly be expected. Yet, for all the different styles the band employs on this album, all but the closing number seem indelibly stamped as this band's work, uniquely The Wrens.