• Record Label: Acony
9.0

Review this album

1. geofft
    Nov 22, 2002
    This is a sublime album, one that grows and grows on you. The unrehearsed feel makes it even more powerful. Truly exceptional and very beautiful.
  2. RandyG
    Apr 20, 2003
    One of the Best.
  3. Mr.Promise
    Sep 27, 2004
    Sublime!
  4. FedericoV
    May 17, 2006
    What a beautiful tune, I love the harmonies and after watching the video with Gillian Welch and Dave Rawlings by sheer luck one night on rave, I just would not be able to forget the atmosphere and overall feel. One of these rare songs that capture a certain moment.
  5. NatM
    Aug 17, 2006
    This album floors me every time i hear it.
  6. LauraD.
    Jul 14, 2002
    Stunning. The most listened to album in my collection in the past year.
  7. RishiK.
    Sep 4, 2003
    This album is simply unbelievable. It is one that I will give to my children.
  8. BMK
    Jun 28, 2006
    One of my top ten favourite albums of all time. Simply amazing.
  9. KateM
    May 17, 2006
    If the guy in my office doesnt stop playing it I cant be held responsible. Im starting to love it as it feels familiar like family!
  10. LyndaK
  13. JackK
    Oct 23, 2004
    Bollocks!
  14. Jun 26, 2011
    Breathtaking. Not sure there's another word that appropriately captures the beauty here. Welch and Rawlings sprinkle sparsely compelling instrumentation around simple yet lush melodies that communicate a depth of pain and feeling in specific (yet abstract) time and space that few artists ever approach and far fewer still ever reach.

1. A winsome, beautiful collection of songs... Welch has never seemed more assured, building a creatively expansive work out of modest ingredients.
  2. Ironically, while this is Welch's quietest album, with nary a drum or electric instrument in earshot, it's even closer to the spiritual vicinity of rock.
    This is a profoundly good record. [Nov 2001, p.102]