• Record Label: Merge
8.1

Review this album

1. NickZ.
    Mar 30, 2008
    All in all, a good album. It's not groundbreaking but it's warm and endearing.
  2. NovakG.
    May 15, 2008
    Adorable,charming and refreshing piece of art, true revelation... Album of the Year, so far !
  3. AndiK.
    Jun 1, 2008
    I got this album because I love M. Ward and thought Zooey Deschanel had a great old-fashioned singing voice in Elf, but came away totally floored by how talented she really is as a singer, songwriter, and most of all, vocal arranger. She arranged and performed all the vocal harmonies on this album, and did a really amazing job. Ward's musical arrangements are a perfect fit, too. I got this album because I love M. Ward and thought Zooey Deschanel had a great old-fashioned singing voice in Elf, but came away totally floored by how talented she really is as a singer, songwriter, and most of all, vocal arranger. She arranged and performed all the vocal harmonies on this album, and did a really amazing job. Ward's musical arrangements are a perfect fit, too. Can't wait for Vol. 2. Expand
  4. EvanT.
    Aug 7, 2008
    Incredible debut...looking forward to volume 2!
  5. MikeA.
    Jan 2, 2009
    Zooey's voice often makes your knees weak, like KD Lang or Linda Rhonstadt. Someone once said if a bomb were on the way in his last minutes he'd listen to Linda's "Blue Bayou." Zooey might sing something that transcendent for me.
  6. JoshY.
    Apr 9, 2008
    Pure beauty and art.
  7. AshlynS.
    Jun 15, 2008
    A consistently twangy, folky album of this caliber is hard to find these days. I am impressed by the talent heard here.
  8. RachelH.
    Jun 17, 2008
    Beautiful vocals and unique sound. This is an endearing album from start to finish.
  9. JerryD.
    Oct 4, 2009
    This album is beautiful. I am really moved by the both of them on it. She has a really sweet and intense voice.
  10. ZachP
    Dec 22, 2008
    By no means perfect, it's a quirky, fun piece of hippie folk.
  11. MathieuC.
    Mar 23, 2008
    Just wow.
  12. Oct 5, 2014
    Love this album... it's short, sweet, cheeky and Zooey's cute vocals shines through the fun instrumentation throughout the album. 10/10 and highly recommended!

1. Deschanel's songs are simple and sad tales of heartbreak and missed connections, with hooky melodies and not a single artless moment to be found.
  2. Slight doubts about whether or not Zooey Deschanel is the best person to be singing these songs aside, Volume One is pretty much spot-on.
  3. Deschanel is more convincing when she's on an extreme end of romance--either losing it or being swept into it--than when she's trying to rationalize it.