8.1

Review this album

1. PeterM.
    Aug 30, 2001
    It's great...but the originals still have an axe-edge that's too smoothed out by Hammond's mellow dispassion
  2. NodR.
    Jul 10, 2002
    well, i had to choose between this and waits new alice . havent heard alice yet but based on one front to back listen, it's gonna have to be real good to beat this. waits voice is for me a little to eccentric at times. so i dig this collaboration, cuz as a songwriter he is a national treasure. only gave it a 9 instead of 10 only because i've only had a chance for one listen, but well, i had to choose between this and waits new alice . havent heard alice yet but based on one front to back listen, it's gonna have to be real good to beat this. waits voice is for me a little to eccentric at times. so i dig this collaboration, cuz as a songwriter he is a national treasure. only gave it a 9 instead of 10 only because i've only had a chance for one listen, but my first impression is bring on vol. 2!!!!!!! Expand
  3. CarlM.
    Mar 11, 2002
    Damn Decent
  4. DavidF.
    Sep 28, 2001
    Blues sensibility added to Los Angeles retro-sleaze/ romanticism. But nobody does "Heart Attack and Vine" quite as good as Waits.
  5. KaceyE.
    Sep 17, 2002
    If I could give it a 9.5 I would. This album embodies the best of John Hammond and Tom Waits. The only reason I'm not giving it a 10 is because I'm holding out hope that they get together to produce another album again.
  6. Jan 31, 2012
    Just finished listening to Wicked Grin for the first time, and I have to say it is a very solid album from start to finish. Pretty much every song was a joy to hear, although there was one track towards the middle that seemed like it started out a bit off, but even that was a minor hiccup.

The material is perfectly suited to Hammond's subtle syncopation and sauntering vocals. The warmth of the recording makes it seem all the more like listening to a master storyteller sharing tales that have been passed down through generations.
  2. His album of Waits' penned-and-produced songs may be the masterwork of Hammond's long career, as well as further testament to Waits' unique genius.
  3. A near-perfect mix of two sympathetic talents operating in top form.