xx - The xx
8.7

Review this album

1. Aug 12, 2010
    A really excellent album spoiled by the female vocalist needing to be FAR less contrived, pretentious, and FORCED. Horribly over breathy and "choked up" to the point of extremely annoying. Otherwise, Hugo Largo & Tom Verlaine influences are lovely and sound fresh. A real pity about the terribly overcooked female vocals.
  2. Sep 8, 2010
    Well deserved Mercury Prize.
    I would recommend 'Crystalised', and a hidden gem from the album is actually the intro. 'Heart Skipped A Beat' is also lovely.
  3. Mar 1, 2011
    Completely different from anything I've ever heard. The XX debut's album is simply astonishing. Just so different from **** they have today. Each song is just so catchy. Romy Madley Croft and Oliver Sim's vocals are like sex. They are THAT good. All In All, The XX's debut album is amazing. A-
  4. Jan 6, 2012
    This album is really, truly and utterly one of the greatest albums of indie rock. It is an album with great compositions, great lyrics. It is an album worth listening to.
  5. j30
    Nov 27, 2011
    Even though the music feels simple and could be boring, this. vocally driven album cuts deep.
  6. Jul 30, 2012
    It's a bland album for me. The songs sounds boring, and often kind of inexpressive. Romy's voice is not suitable for the lo-fi scene, and the band sure enough sounds like over hyped. At least their songs are well-written, but the melodies and beats are saturated sound among so much strangeness. The metal strings are over produced. Maybe the band can improve musically, but now it sounds just like nothing outrageous to me. Expand
  7. Jul 5, 2012
    Good ambient indie guitar record. It's got a very consistent style across the album with all the tracks slipping into each other smoothly. The best thing about this band are that they have a unique and distinctive style and have brought something new to the market. Received great reviews in general, I have to agree for the most part. Only thing I would like is a little more variation in the songs and perhaps a couple of more quicker paced tunes. The last third of the record goes at a crawling pace. Having said that the consistent style across the album is probably one of the main things that make it all sound so well put together and well thought out. The record gives a very specific vibe - always reminds me of darkness. It's like being in an empty night club or something. My favourite tracks are "Intro", "Islands" and "Heart Skipped a Beat" Expand
  8. Dec 27, 2011
    Intro, VCR and Islands are the highlights, but all amazing... loved ever minute listening to it, and I would recommend anyone to listen to it, be good to have good headphones since the bass in some of the songs are out of this world!
  9. Jan 27, 2012
    Music unlike most anything I've heard before. Quietly confident, other worldly, spooky. It's too easy to label this as 'atmospheric', but the imagery this music creates is so magical. So easy to listen to, so easy to fall in love with.
  10. Aug 28, 2012
    Esse cd sem duvida alguma é perfeito. Eu ouço ele desde que foi lançado ate hoje ( 3 anos) e ainda me surpreendo. O Novo cd tambem ta excelente e manteve a mesma estrutura!!!
  11. Apr 7, 2012
    The xx have a sound that is very unique compared to other indie rock bands and that is a primary reason this album is so enjoyable. The songs are simple but soothing and overral are a refreshing change to the repetitive dribble of most indie pop bands. I look forward to the xx's follow up album.
  12. Apr 25, 2012
    I really enjoyed this album when it came out a couple years ago, but I wonder whether or not it will stand the test of time. The tone may be a little one color. I get the nagging feeling that if you've heard one XX song, then you've heard them all. That said, "Crystalized" is a downright haunting track. The vocals are impossibly intimate, inviting us into a quiet space between two lovers. Listen to The XX on those cold winter nights with a good book and a glass of wine. Expand
  13. Oct 25, 2012
    Their music's working best when it's instrumental. I'm not saying their voices are bad but the Intro is the very best song on the whole album and additionally one of the best songs in the year 2009! It's just that their singing isn't necessary. In some songs, yes, but not everywhere. The lyrics are nothing special and especially the woman's voice was importunate to me. But enough negatives: this album is so recreative and great composed, also if I can only pick three special songs out of them 11. (Intro, Heart Skipped A Beat, Crystalised) Expand
  14. Sep 8, 2012
    Great debut album, however it manages to become dull over time. Coexist is a breath of fresh air for returning fans.
  15. Sep 1, 2013
    This is such a simple album, with such simple instruments, simple singing, and simple drums. But I'll bet the producing wasn't that simple to make it sound like it does now. How can something so simple be so good?

Now one of my favorite bands, I can't stop listening to the xx. That's another thing: their music doesn't get boring for me, I can't listen to it over and over and never get
    tired.

A must-listen.
  16. Feb 16, 2014
    The XX's debut is a soft, beautiful and generally very, very good debut for a band that obviously aren't there to make loads of noise that the common band might do. This is an album that comes at its most enjoyable when played in the evening.

1. It's hard to imagine their music getting much better. But it's not hard to imagine their lives getting much better. Which may be all their music needs.
  2. The XX is for lovers and non-lovers alike, though even its surefire appeal I wouldn't call this a pop album. I would deem it sensual, musical in-out.
  3. The album's explication of its own interest in contrast and conversation is perhaps its greatest virtue.