You Forgot It In People

9.1

Review this album

1. Apr 7, 2011
    This is unlike anything I've ever heard. Completely different from any indie pop I have ever listened too. Broken Social Scene consists of 20+ members in the band and strangely enough, they make it sound so good. Each track sounds wonderful. "Anthems For A Seventeen Year-Old Girl" is the stand out track. All In All, You Forgot It In People is a great album. A-
  2. Fruitbat
    Jun 5, 2003
    Engaging, deep, endlessly surprising and immeasureably satisfying...It's easy to overhype an album that is so off-the-charts inventive as this one, especially with a year's-worth of advance gushing from the Canadian press and public. But the fact that this album succeeds at every one of its varied styles and ambitions is especially amazing when one considers just how many Engaging, deep, endlessly surprising and immeasureably satisfying...It's easy to overhype an album that is so off-the-charts inventive as this one, especially with a year's-worth of advance gushing from the Canadian press and public. But the fact that this album succeeds at every one of its varied styles and ambitions is especially amazing when one considers just how many musicians contributed to every song. This may be the only case in recorded (musical) history where too many cooks do NOT spoil the broth. Expand
  3. BookerP
    Jul 21, 2003
    Demands 10 listens to even comment. Different. Familiar. Hey, this is pretty good -- I love this song -- wait -- holy shi--
  4. JustinB.
    Sep 25, 2007
    what an album!
  5. brandonb
    May 1, 2007
    Why are people calling this music pop? Broken Social Scene isn't pop. It's not popular, if you asked me. This music is listed as Alternative on iTunes, I guess that's what you could call it. It's certainly not New Kids On The Block. Now.. about this record. It's really something different and places you in a mood. Just watch Half Nelson, you'll hear the best Why are people calling this music pop? Broken Social Scene isn't pop. It's not popular, if you asked me. This music is listed as Alternative on iTunes, I guess that's what you could call it. It's certainly not New Kids On The Block. Now.. about this record. It's really something different and places you in a mood. Just watch Half Nelson, you'll hear the best of Broken Social Scene. Just listen to "Lover's Spit", wonderful track. Expand
    Jun 11, 2003
    Outstanding. Indie pop at its absolute finest!
  7. RyanM
    Jun 5, 2003
    It's about time America realized that the best independent music in the continent is coming straight out of Toronto. Let this record be a warning, we are taking over.
  8. Dan
    Jun 6, 2003
    Never has an album bought on a hunch completely blown me away like this. It really is as good as they say and then some. Cannot be recommended enough.
  9. Mark
    Mar 8, 2006
    When I first brought this (unawre of any hype), I listened to it once and thought it was 'alright', and left it on my shelf for a few months without another thought. Then I shoved it on in the background one night and...barely a day has gone by when I haven't given it a spin since. Possibly my favourite album in my collection.
  10. benjaminbunny
    Oct 27, 2003
    Sublime. Sounds like falling in love. Gorgeously produced and played, the most endlessly listenable, and I believe best album of 2003.
  11. SteveB
    Jun 20, 2003
    I agree completely with the PopMatters review. I must admit, though, that I really enjoy the "coasting" at the end. They complain about it like it's a bad thing...to me, it was like coming down off of a really gentle high. Which, compared to crashing, is nice.
  12. benc
    Jun 30, 2003
    Great record, but if you can, check them out live. Fantastic.
  13. AlexK
    Jun 5, 2003
    It is terrific that this great album has gotten a wide release. As Pitchfork's review eloquently states, this album gracefully walks the line between accessibility and experimentation. An album that is catchy and intelligent at the same time, a must buy.
  14. HYeung
    Jun 6, 2003
    Adventurous. Pop rock in its best form. Best Album of the year so far.
  15. slowspinner
    Jul 10, 2003
    It's a good disc, but it doesn't exactly live up to the hype. Some stellar - and inventive - pop stylings are surrounded by a lot of noodling filler. Still, it's worth the listen for "Lover's Spit" alone.
  16. deanj
    Sep 30, 2003
    9.6 to be more accurate , first saw them at a french festival having never heard any of there stuff - fantastic live performance, all of which has come across perfectly on the album. Some truly majical moments on this album, such as kc accidental and anthems for a seventeen year old girl. genius
  17. AsiaZ
    Jun 13, 2004
    Great stuff. Not on the par of Notwist (my album of the year for 2003), yet still enthralling.
  18. Jacqueline
    Jun 15, 2004
    It's a symphony.
  19. feebsb
    Jun 16, 2004
    this is the best album i've ever heard, and their concert i saw in march 2004 was even better. i am blown away with the musical talent of this band.
  20. Navarre
    Oct 6, 2005
    The most amazing release of 2003 will not fade. after two years of listening it's still just as good as it was back then
  21. BrianA
    Jun 30, 2005
    simply stunning! each song reveals new elements with each listen, like a cryptic puzzle one keeps finding new pieces for. The song "looks just like the sun" seems to find it's way into my head almost every day.
  22. SamB
    Feb 12, 2006
    Simply awe inspiring, ethereal, timeless music
  23. StephenS
    Apr 26, 2006
    Like opening a door into a new world. Outstanding!!
  24. RyanB
    Jun 11, 2003
    Outstanding. Indie pop at its absolute finest. Gets better with each listen.
  25. chris
    Jun 10, 2003
    Shockingly good, very rewarding upon repeat listenings. The best I've heard in about two years (and I'm a record fiend). Buy it now!
  26. stoosh
    Jun 17, 2003
    all the pop music should be like this... i'm from italy and i really hope that this album will be imported here...
  27. EtienneJ
    Jun 5, 2003
    One of the best CDs of the year. It's hard to find, but go to Pitchfork's review and at the bottom is a link to an online store where you can buy it. It's well worth it!!
  28. MattDT
    Jun 5, 2003
    It's not groundbreaking, but this album is certainly beautiful and well-crafted with something of an arty-indie rock-pop feel to it. Oh, and it gives legitmacy to Canadian music (along with others like Manitoba) whilst Avril Lavigne is selling records. Blah.
  29. MacM
    Apr 18, 2004
    I'm an Aussie who, on my last US visit had a mate INSIST I buy this and just listen. He described it as "...Trail Of the Dead does verse-chorus-verse. Not sure if that is strictly accurate but what I discovered was probably the most addictive and diverse pop album of the last year. So far, this has not been released in Australia but my copy has been borrowed many times so I'm I'm an Aussie who, on my last US visit had a mate INSIST I buy this and just listen. He described it as "...Trail Of the Dead does verse-chorus-verse. Not sure if that is strictly accurate but what I discovered was probably the most addictive and diverse pop album of the last year. So far, this has not been released in Australia but my copy has been borrowed many times so I'm spreading the word. Incidentally, in return, I made my mate buy The Sleepy Jackson's "Lovers" (coz they're from W.Australia) which he loves equally as much! macsumner@hotmail.com Expand
  30. BryantP
    Apr 23, 2004
    I bought this CD for one reason: Cause = Time, far and away one of the greatest rock songs I've heard in years! The rest of the CD, especially the later half, is so mellow and soothing it makes me think of Jack Johnson meets Radiohead in a really morbid sense. Some of the songs are a little too.. weird for me (take KC Accidental, don't understand the hype behind this one...) but I bought this CD for one reason: Cause = Time, far and away one of the greatest rock songs I've heard in years! The rest of the CD, especially the later half, is so mellow and soothing it makes me think of Jack Johnson meets Radiohead in a really morbid sense. Some of the songs are a little too.. weird for me (take KC Accidental, don't understand the hype behind this one...) but other pop songs like Anthems for a 17-Year-Old Girl and mellow rock songs like Star and Sons and Looks Just Like the Sun are memorable. All in all this CD ain't shabby. Expand

1. This record explodes with song after song of endlessly replayable, perfect pop.
  2. The commitment to iconoclastic expressiveness, which includes belting out some fairly raunchy lyrics, leads to dead ends, but Broken Social Scene never blows it altogether, because it holds onto its hooks to get out of tough corners.
  3. "People" boasts an uncommon beauty and originality, brimming with tunes that glimmer with pure magic.