A New Day At Midnight

7.7

Review this album

1. KrisH
    Nov 7, 2002
    It's a good album and David Gray has an amazing voice.
  2. KarenS
    Mar 13, 2003
    Where have you been all my life!! I saw/heard you first on the Saturday Early Show, & you are amazing. You did Other Side. I went straight out & bought both your CDs. Now for the really funny part; I'm 58 yrs. old. Sober in AA 131/2 yrs. Your lyrics speak to me. Yes, you are amazing, across the generation gap...A New Day At Midnight...One Day At A Time Thank you David....thank you so Where have you been all my life!! I saw/heard you first on the Saturday Early Show, & you are amazing. You did Other Side. I went straight out & bought both your CDs. Now for the really funny part; I'm 58 yrs. old. Sober in AA 131/2 yrs. Your lyrics speak to me. Yes, you are amazing, across the generation gap...A New Day At Midnight...One Day At A Time Thank you David....thank you so very much...karen Expand
  3. BenJ
    Nov 11, 2002
    Far more subtle than "White Ladder" but lyrically brilliant, this is an excellent album that gets better each time it's played!
  4. ChelseyJ
    Nov 21, 2002
    I adore David Gray.His is a fantastic singer/songwriter, and this album along with the famous 'White Ladder' proves my point. You can smell the extreme amount of talent from both albums. David Gray FOREVER!
  5. kristinh
    Nov 6, 2002
    i love david gray and have not been disappointed by his latest release. i ran out and bought it the day it came out- and i love it!
  6. buzz
    Apr 11, 2003
    I think I own all of David Gray's CDs, expert, nooooo. The lyrics as always set him apart from the rest. His voice, wonderful, but, where is your accent that I have always loved to hear. I like his words, his music, and the sound. Even if this one isn't my favourite David Gray CD, David Gray is still my favourite singer song writer.
  7. SteveA
    Nov 27, 2002
    Outstanding album and up there with White Ladder. Gray has the knack of getting his atmospheric music and haunting melodies under your skin.
  8. Steffie
    Dec 26, 2002
    Simply brilliant!
  9. Jan 13, 2016
    Some people said Gray attempted to make White Ladder II with this record but I don't think that's the case. A New Day At Midnight is one of David Gray's most upbeat records when taken as a whole, especially when compared to this record's predecessor. There are plenty of nice singalong tunes present and it's an appealling listen a couple of times around, however it lacks the heart and soulSome people said Gray attempted to make White Ladder II with this record but I don't think that's the case. A New Day At Midnight is one of David Gray's most upbeat records when taken as a whole, especially when compared to this record's predecessor. There are plenty of nice singalong tunes present and it's an appealling listen a couple of times around, however it lacks the heart and soul of White Ladder and the more you go back to it, the less it tends to give back. While the songs are decent, too often they are overproduced with too much unecessary background work happening, taking away from the more stripped down style he had previously employed to show off the strength of his song writing. While everything came together perfectly for Gray to make the excellent "White Ladder", "A New Day At Midnight" is more indicative of Gray's work in general, good but not quite brilliant. Expand

1. Vibe
    Comes off likea rave-era update of Van Morrison's blue-eyed soul. [Feb 2003, p.138]
  2. A New Day at Midnight is not White Ladder part 2, but it does bear certain similarities, namely emotional, beautiful music matched with equally beautiful lyrics, and, of course David Gray's unmistakable voice.
  3. Blender
    The album merely washes pleasantly past, tickling the ear and delivering a few hummable refrains. There's nothing here to lift listeners the way White Ladder did. [#12, p.143]