• Record Label: Capitol
  • Release Date: Aug 27, 2002
8.9

Review this album

1. May 12, 2016
    Almost a decade and a half since it came out, "A Rush of Blood To The Head" has stood up to the test of time and remains one of the best albums of the 00's. A fantastic follow up to their classic debut, this cemented Coldplays reputation as one of the most consistent bands of the first decade of the 21st century. With 11 tracks on show, the majority of them are true anthems. It starts offAlmost a decade and a half since it came out, "A Rush of Blood To The Head" has stood up to the test of time and remains one of the best albums of the 00's. A fantastic follow up to their classic debut, this cemented Coldplays reputation as one of the most consistent bands of the first decade of the 21st century. With 11 tracks on show, the majority of them are true anthems. It starts off with the brooding Politik, banging piano's, bass guitars and drums present in the chorus contrast perfectly with the quiet chorus. This brilliant opener is followed by a string of hit singles - "In My Place", "God Put A Smile Upon Your Face", "The Scientist" and "Clocks" all got massive airplay back in 2002 and still do today. They remain staples of the bands live show. The beautiful Green Eyes is at the heart of the record while the dark and soaring title track brings things crashing towards an end before the gentle Amsterdam sees us off. Everything about this record is reaching for brilliance, production, songwriting, musicianmanship, running time. Even if your one of those people who hate the b(r)and because thats the trendy thing to do, you can't help but love this record if your a fan of pop music. Expand
  2. Oct 14, 2014
    A pretty good album, not as good as Parachutes, but still good enough for me. It just bothers me that an album that seems so conceptual from the outside has no real theme or message running through it, but it's fun to listen to nonetheless. Some musical choices also confused me, such as the tracks Clocks and Daylight. They are both great songs, but they are consecutive on the album and useA pretty good album, not as good as Parachutes, but still good enough for me. It just bothers me that an album that seems so conceptual from the outside has no real theme or message running through it, but it's fun to listen to nonetheless. Some musical choices also confused me, such as the tracks Clocks and Daylight. They are both great songs, but they are consecutive on the album and use the same drum rhythm for their duration. I just didn't get that. Overall, great style and some tracks are great. Favorite track: A Rush of Blood to the Head Expand
  3. Nov 15, 2015
    Parecido com ''Parachutes'', mas ainda assim se distanciando mais de Radiohead e criando uma própria personalidade a banda, ''A Rush of Blood to the Head'' vem todo lapidado por vocais melancólicos, versos de fácil acesso e detalhes pequenos e transformações ao longo de cada canção que prendem o ouvinte até ao fim de cada faixa.
    ''A Rush of Blood to the Head'' vem com papel fundamental,
    ''A Rush of Blood to the Head'' vem com papel fundamental, não só de firmar a banda dentro da indústria musical, mas de firmar o disco como um dos mais influentes e aclamados deste século.
  4. Jun 11, 2015
    This record is the best from Coldplay. It has catchy melodies, great songs that are moving in their simplicity and unique vocals. A rush of blood to the head is the portrait of a band at the top of their game, a band that thanks to this record will start to be a worldwide famous act.
  5. Jun 4, 2014
    Beautiful. Simply beautiful. Chris Martin, although slightly unadept in writing lyrics, and his band of musicians, never fails to amuse and amaze for the second time. The best album of Coldplay, behind it is Viva La Vida.
  6. Dec 15, 2012
    A simply amazing album filled with tons of great songs. It's songs have variety, the lyrics are emotional, and all the songs are well balanced. This is an album that nearly anyone can enjoy and that I always enjoy singing along with. I would highly recommend it!
  7. Apr 27, 2015
    Often rocking and always filled with energy, strong lyrics, and emotion: Coldplay's 2nd album "A Rush Of Blood To The Head" is timeless and memorable unlike many of the albums released around this time period
  8. Jul 17, 2016
    Quite good album!, "The Scientist" and "Clocks" are the best songs out of this album. The others songs are kinda meh. It's not really worthy for me. :
  9. Jun 14, 2016
    This is another amazing Coldplay album!!!
    I love all the songs

This album is even better than parachutes
    It feels like they evolved and the sound is phenomenal

This and Maroon 5's Songs About Jane are the best albums of 2002
  10. Oct 28, 2011
    This album is certainly Coldplay's best in my opinion. It is full of masterpieces and has a great mood to it. Best songs are "God Put A Smile Upon Your Face", "In My Place, "The Scientist", "Green Eyes" and "Politik".
  11. Aug 8, 2017
    One of the best albums of 2000s and of all time. It's definetely Coldplay's best album, also, singles from the album are just perfect. That piano easily brings you memories.
  12. Aug 16, 2017
    es un buen álbum, agradable de inicio a fin, te puede acompañar a donde vayas y jamás te cansarás de escucharlo, porque es perfecto para cualquier ocasión.
  13. Oct 2, 2012
    I don't even know hot describe how much I love this record. This album is the sole reason I started listening to Coldplay as a serious listener and even considering them as one of my favourite bands. Chris Martin's vocals and Jonny Buckland's electric guitar are terrific. Whenever I listen to the title track of the album, I always feel like I'm climbing a hill and it's so cold and I needI don't even know hot describe how much I love this record. This album is the sole reason I started listening to Coldplay as a serious listener and even considering them as one of my favourite bands. Chris Martin's vocals and Jonny Buckland's electric guitar are terrific. Whenever I listen to the title track of the album, I always feel like I'm climbing a hill and it's so cold and I need to make some decisions. Believe me, but I actually used to be a Coldplay hater but that's before I listened to songs like "In My Place", "Politik", "A Rush of Blood to the Head", "Green Eyes" and "Warning Sign". I can easily call it my most favourite Coldplay album. Expand
  14. Sep 8, 2011
    This album is fantastic!!!! It's just an absolutely timeless classic, you can immerse yourself in their music and there are so many memorable tracks. Coldplay are an AWESOME group.
  15. Aug 6, 2011
    For me, the greatest Coldplay album and one of the best of the decade. Possibly the coldplay album with the most piano. Songs like "Green eyes", "clocks", "a rush of blood to the head", "the scientist" or "politik" are top class melodic rock. I would only delete the song "god put a smile up on your face". Here they don't sound like first era Radiohead at all as they did on their fantasticFor me, the greatest Coldplay album and one of the best of the decade. Possibly the coldplay album with the most piano. Songs like "Green eyes", "clocks", "a rush of blood to the head", "the scientist" or "politik" are top class melodic rock. I would only delete the song "god put a smile up on your face". Here they don't sound like first era Radiohead at all as they did on their fantastic first album. Expand
  16. Aug 8, 2017
    Easily the best Coldplay album, which defined the band as we remember it. Have to mention the beautiful composition of an album with In My Place being a fantastic #2 song and Amsterdam being a great closing song for this legendary record
  17. Jan 19, 2011
    Its incredible how the people who give Coldplay zeros give absolutly no reason or justification behind their score, at least no descriptive enough, how about going into detail? Boring? Thats it? You have yet to learn about what it means to grade music, this album is Pink Floyd reincarnate. 473rd greatest album of all time, Too low. These critics are reliable people but people evenIts incredible how the people who give Coldplay zeros give absolutly no reason or justification behind their score, at least no descriptive enough, how about going into detail? Boring? Thats it? You have yet to learn about what it means to grade music, this album is Pink Floyd reincarnate. 473rd greatest album of all time, Too low. These critics are reliable people but people even discredit them without any evidence, so why do we even have a user score if 90% of them are completly bias. Expand
  18. Sep 29, 2012
    This is Coldplay's masterpiece. "Politik" and "God Put A Smile Upon Your Face" are quality rock songs, the "The Scientist" and "Warning Sign" are some of the best melancholic songs you will hear, the sophisticated indie tracks, "Daylight" and "Whisper", are addictive, however, the best song on here is "Clocks". The hypnotic piano riff is heavenly. Breathtaking.
  19. Jan 23, 2017
    Easily one of their top three albums, a big contender for best album, and one of the best albums of the decade. This is when they hit it big and showed the world their creativity. They didn't seem to be trying to be a 'pop' band and while there were hints of other greats (like U2) in their music, they made their own style and showed who they would be for the next 10 years in this great.
  20. Mar 18, 2011
    By far Coldplay's greatest work, beautiful, melancholy art rock from the mid of a mind who in no way sounds like Radiohead (as many assume) this album saved my life and brought me into the world of music
  21. Aug 12, 2016
    Since they released Parachutes, everyone's waiting for new album from Coldplay. Finally, waiting is over and they released this (a rush of blood to the head). This album is become bigger, better than Parachutes. The Scientist, In My Place, Clocks are best songs of 2002 and maybe 2000s and 21st century. But on this albums have so many hidden gems including A Rush of Blood to The Head, GreenSince they released Parachutes, everyone's waiting for new album from Coldplay. Finally, waiting is over and they released this (a rush of blood to the head). This album is become bigger, better than Parachutes. The Scientist, In My Place, Clocks are best songs of 2002 and maybe 2000s and 21st century. But on this albums have so many hidden gems including A Rush of Blood to The Head, Green Eyes, Politik etc. If you don't know Coldplay, and interested on this album. You should've listen. You're not disappoint Expand
  22. Oct 18, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This puts all their other albums to shame. It starts off really good, but fades out a little towards the end. Improves upon 'Parachutes' in most aspects. Best songs: 'The Scientist', 'In My Place', 'Green Eyes'. Expand
  23. Nov 4, 2011
    Best album by Coldplay to this day. Its the best tracks are "A Rush of Blood to the Head," "Green Eyes," "Scientist," and "Clocks." I recommend this masterpiece to anyone who wants to hear good music.
  24. Sep 21, 2013
    Coldplay surpasses Parachutes with a bold, determined, and flawless album, A Rush of Blood to the the Head. The Scientist, Clocks, In My Place, A Whisper, and a Rush of Blood to the head are the frontrunners in this race and the rest are close behind. This race being musical greatness.
  25. Apr 19, 2014
    A Rush of Blood to the Head is without a doubt one of Coldplay's crowing achievements. It features some excellent music, some of the best we've ever heard from Coldplay. I don't know if I would say this is my absolute favorite Coldplay album, it is one of the best of course, but one thing that puts me off about this album is that I am not a big fan of the album cover, I think it looks aA Rush of Blood to the Head is without a doubt one of Coldplay's crowing achievements. It features some excellent music, some of the best we've ever heard from Coldplay. I don't know if I would say this is my absolute favorite Coldplay album, it is one of the best of course, but one thing that puts me off about this album is that I am not a big fan of the album cover, I think it looks a bit bland, however I am not hear to judge the cd by it's cover, I am here to judge it by it's contents. AROBTTH is a excellent album and I think even non-Coldplay fans can enjoy it. My favorite tracks are "Politik", "God put a Smile Upon Your Face", "The Scientist", "Clocks" (This is actually one of my favorite songs of all time), "Warning Sign" and "A Rush of Blood to the Head" (the song). Expand
  26. Jan 22, 2011
    Absolutely fantastic masterpiece
    probably the best album of the whole decade
    not a single bad or weak song even "A Whisper" is amazing

and those who keep comparing Coldplay and Radiohead should shut up
  27. Apr 22, 2012
    Lyrically, "A Rush of Blood..." isn't too far ahead of "Parachutes," but its composition is nearly flawless. With marvelous guitar riffs and great piano melodies, there is a depth to this album that isn't present in any of their other studio records. This is the closest a Brit album from the 2000s ever came to comparing to the epic rock motifs of Britain in the 1990s, namely Oasis, Blur,Lyrically, "A Rush of Blood..." isn't too far ahead of "Parachutes," but its composition is nearly flawless. With marvelous guitar riffs and great piano melodies, there is a depth to this album that isn't present in any of their other studio records. This is the closest a Brit album from the 2000s ever came to comparing to the epic rock motifs of Britain in the 1990s, namely Oasis, Blur, and early Radiohead, though in the end it does fall well short of those bands' works. Solid album however. Expand
  28. Dec 9, 2012
    Not completely flawless but definitely Coldplay's finest album to date. Some of Coldplay's classics such as "Clocks" are in here amongst other tracks that are meaningful and sound great. Rush of Blood to the Head also finishes the album off wonderfully with the conclusive "Amsterdam".
  29. Apr 22, 2012
    A great album with great, relaxing songs on it, makes you just want to put it on repeat. I do find these songs catchy, and 'A Rush of Blood to the Head' may just be Coldplay's defining album. Key tracks: "In My Place", "The Scientist", "Clocks", "Warning Sign"
  30. Aug 4, 2017
    A pure masterpiece. This has to be considered as one of the greatest albums of all time in a couple of years. Why? Because when everything had been said and done in the history of music, Coldplay came up with.. the truth. Especially "The Scientist", which is a top ten song of all times, where Martin softly and unconditionally sings "Come up to meet you / To tell you I'm Sorry / You don'tA pure masterpiece. This has to be considered as one of the greatest albums of all time in a couple of years. Why? Because when everything had been said and done in the history of music, Coldplay came up with.. the truth. Especially "The Scientist", which is a top ten song of all times, where Martin softly and unconditionally sings "Come up to meet you / To tell you I'm Sorry / You don't know how lovely you are" represent how most of us actually feel dealing with lovely memories of the past – something every human being will do at some point in life. The rest of the album is as dynamic as a morning when sun's shining, breakfast tastes fantastic and the traffic light shows green light until you get to work where you finally get to know you're promoted.

Best tracks: The Scientist, In My Place, Green Eyes, Clocks
    Worst: Daylight
  31. DaveV.
    Sep 10, 2002
    God put a smile upon your face - More like Coldplay put a smile on my face. Outstanding
  32. IreneL.
    Sep 2, 2002
    "A Rush of Blood..." prove Coldplay's prowess and seemingly unlimited talent. Truly hummable and accessable melodies serve as a facade to a much more thoughtful and tension-filled core.
  33. scottg
    Jan 7, 2003
    this is a truly superb follow up to parachutes. the album takes coldplay to another level this album will rock any venue in the uk but may find it hard in the states. keep up the good work lads
  34. BenjaminBunny
    Jun 8, 2004
    Damn. Just when I thought I found a new band to hate ("Parachutes," the worst album Catherine Wheel never recorded) this album comes along and makes me like them. Well, in the same way I like 80s-era U2, which is to say it's listenably pretty--as long as you don't pay too much attention to the lyrics it sounds okay. Not that I'd actually own it.
  35. TomM
    Aug 10, 2004
    Great album. As good as parachutes. Very pleasantly surprised
  36. BujarR
    May 14, 2005
    Well....shortly.BEST ALBUM OF ALL TIMES!
  37. JackMB
    Jun 6, 2005
    This is a great album, which will grown on you with time. It's different if not better to Parachutes. However, this can only be given a 9, as after listening to X&Y this is clearly inferior.
  38. VerenaS.
    Oct 1, 2002
    woha! this album is great!
  39. Tommy
    Oct 1, 2002
    the most melodic album to come out maybe ever. As someone once put it, 'it's all about the tunes'. Oh, you'll get the odd person complaining about how this band's overrated, but it's only because he (and it's always a guy) can't hear passion and emotion within a song. They don't get this band. The other 99.9% of us do. Buy it, post haste.
  40. musicLover
    Oct 17, 2002
    Bought the album - Can I get a refund ???
  41. JulianE.
    Aug 27, 2002
    All analysis aside - Wow! I actually found Parachutes a bit wet and even dull in parts - however obvious the talent. This one is alive! It is the least pretentious and contrived masterpiece I have come across in many a moon. Head, heart and spirit music for the ages and ya can still sing along! It's so rare that music of beauty uplifts without preaching from on high - this music says All analysis aside - Wow! I actually found Parachutes a bit wet and even dull in parts - however obvious the talent. This one is alive! It is the least pretentious and contrived masterpiece I have come across in many a moon. Head, heart and spirit music for the ages and ya can still sing along! It's so rare that music of beauty uplifts without preaching from on high - this music says come with me, not join me up here. Expand
  42. brianm
    Sep 1, 2002
    the sound of a band willing to build on its success, not lay stagnant in it. the album has a familiar sound, but boldly goes places parachutes did not.
  43. AnshumanS.
    Sep 15, 2002
    well,this is really good.by listening to their music,it feels as if they have been in the music scene for years and years.but,the truth is it's just their second album and i'm telling you-they r here to stay for a long -long time indeed.way to go,coldplay!if u guys have loved their album,then u can try out travis's 2!!!
  44. JonN.
    Sep 2, 2002
    Simply put, one of the best albums i have ever heard. It surpasses the original album "Parachutes" without bound--the emotions that the album arouses from my senses is beyond extraordinary. The only thing i can say to criticize the album is that it makes me too sad at times. All emotions aside, it is a definite 10.
  45. MultipleMiggs
    Sep 2, 2002
    Calvin listens to 4 songs and decrees a 10? Thank god there will be people who actually listen CRITICALLY to this album and realize that, while there is some great songwriting going on, there are few if any original ideas presented.
  46. Frank
    Sep 20, 2002
    really bland stuff and so damn middle of the road. The amount of acclaim this record is getting shows how boring music critics are. At least Travis had the decency to do a humorous video clip.
  47. ErwinK.
    Sep 30, 2002
    Yes. Music for bedwetters.
  48. anonymous
    Sep 5, 2002
    just listen to it
  49. AndreeC.
    Sep 5, 2002
    Gorgeous songs!!! Fantastic Album!!!
  50. JohnM.
    Sep 9, 2002
    It's a great album. I love the first song especially. But as far as being the greatest brit pop band right now, I think that the Doves are superior to Coldplay. The Last Broadcast is simply phenomenal.
  51. TracyG
    Jan 8, 2003
    This Album is Great. The Group is awesome. I have never heard music like this before. This group has me in a trance. I love them, Tracy, 25, San Diego
  52. DavidJ
    Mar 26, 2003
    That anyone actually gave this album a "0" is just sad. This is without doubt the strongest album of 2002!
  53. MitchH.
    Mar 4, 2003
    This is one of the best CD's I have. All the songs on the CD are either as good as the one before or better. Music at it's best.
  54. MaryS
    Mar 9, 2003
    This album is amazing. You have to listen to it a few times, but after that I was hooked and Coldplay has become one of my favorite bands!
  55. scottm
    May 6, 2003
    relaxing and talented. this band is a true band and real songs on their albums.
  56. JonathanZ
    Oct 3, 2005
    I've been dusting off some old classics this summer (figuratively, since I get most of my music from the iTunes music store), and so after picking up the newest Coldplay album during the Korea trip, I bought their other two albums when I got back to the States. A Rush of Blood to the Head was released in 2002, and I can still remember listening to it countless times on the way to I've been dusting off some old classics this summer (figuratively, since I get most of my music from the iTunes music store), and so after picking up the newest Coldplay album during the Korea trip, I bought their other two albums when I got back to the States. A Rush of Blood to the Head was released in 2002, and I can still remember listening to it countless times on the way to school. I never got tired of it, though; the tracks are just that durable. Sure, everybody has heard the two singles, "Clocks" and "In My Place." I'm not saying they aren't quality songs, there just a little typical. Some of the other stuff on the album, however, is nothing short of brilliance. "The Scientist" achieves the same greatness of "Yellow," and "A Rush of Blood to the Head" channels a marvelous Pink Floyd vibe. Unlike the overtly mellow Parachutes, this album is mellow with an agenda; edgy, even. There's a thread of bemoaning lost love that runs throughout the entire affair, as well a track or two focused on war and dying. I don't mind this, somehow, so well is everything put together. When I need to escape into a soundscape of soulful vocals and some masterful guitar-work, I know what to listen to. Expand
  57. Bk
    Jan 3, 2005
    over rated!
  58. BenB
    Jun 10, 2005
    Wow....it dosn't get any better than this. A masterpiece
  59. JoelW
    Jun 15, 2005
    This was the album that made me stop. 'The Scientist' is magnificent, musical genius, while 'Clocks' was the single that attracted me. There are few who are so undeniably and potentially talented as Martin, Berryman, Buckland and Champion. Everyone knows them. They will go on to become one of the greatest bands of their time. I have little doubt.
  60. SusanB
    Sep 13, 2005
    Mediocre at best, dull and lifeless at worst. The occasional good track, i.e. The Scientist, is cancelled out by the overwhelming blandness of the album as a whole. Uninventive, unemotional and overated
  61. MarkH
    May 16, 2006
    One of the best albums of the decade! Contemplative... but not overly deep, this album will not disappoint.
  62. JohnK
    Jun 1, 2006
    One of the albums that will truly change your life, all of these songs are ones that you can listen to over and over and never get tired of.......personal favorites include God Put a Smile Upon Your Face [one of the best musically done songs in a long time] The Scientist [amazingly beautiful] and Amsterdam [incomparable]
  63. JoeyC
    Jul 7, 2006
    Certain albums are timeless, this is one. I;ll never forget the first time i heard 'clocks' it hit me then that coldplay was a band that was gonna leave an impression on music lovers abroad. This album will go down in history as one of the greatest.
  64. Jazzy
    Nov 12, 2002
    Comparisons to U2 and Radiohead are bound to happen when you have fans that have their head stuck that far up their arses. Every song on this album sounds like it has been created through some Let's-try-and-sound-like-Radiohead-but-with-a-bit-of-Jeff-Buckley-thrown-in-but-lets-try-not-to-be-so-self-conscious-about-it-formula. Lyrically piss-weak, Martin has nothing interesting to Comparisons to U2 and Radiohead are bound to happen when you have fans that have their head stuck that far up their arses. Every song on this album sounds like it has been created through some Let's-try-and-sound-like-Radiohead-but-with-a-bit-of-Jeff-Buckley-thrown-in-but-lets-try-not-to-be-so-self-conscious-about-it-formula. Lyrically piss-weak, Martin has nothing interesting to say. Yyyyaaawwwnnn!!!! Expand
  65. DoronH
    Oct 10, 2002
    very touching lyrics and music
  66. MichaelE.
    Oct 7, 2002
    Seems pretty boring and mediocre at first, and the lyrics certainly aren't much of an artistic statement, but 'round about 1:00 AM on the fifth or sixth listen it suddenly becomes exquisitely, breathtakingly GORGEOUS.
  67. Tom
    Aug 23, 2002
    This is my favorite album since Achtung Baby. It just beats out OK computer because at the end of the day it has the tunes from the first track to the last. A stunning achievement, and a new litmus test for me. In other words, if you don't like this album, we couldn't possibly be friends.
  68. ViperT.
    Aug 25, 2002
    whoa!
  69. MartijnD.
    Aug 26, 2002
    This is a great album. Probably the best to come out this year so be sure to buy it!
  70. CalvinI.
    Aug 27, 2002
    i haven't even finished listening to this album and already i am giving it a ten. even if the other 6 songs turn out to be crap this cd still deserves a ten. from what i heard so far this is so much of an improvement from thier first album. thier first album clearly showed thier potential to bring the life out of thier sound but this album they finally realize it and flesh it out i haven't even finished listening to this album and already i am giving it a ten. even if the other 6 songs turn out to be crap this cd still deserves a ten. from what i heard so far this is so much of an improvement from thier first album. thier first album clearly showed thier potential to bring the life out of thier sound but this album they finally realize it and flesh it out rather then just sparsly using it. the last album was good (and strangely) relaxing brit pop songs but these are less like songs and more like sound experiences you thrust yourself into and this album clearly shows they were not half assing on thier time off. they have clearly matured and progressed as musicians (even if thier new cd kinda sounds a little like radiohead's "the bends" album), but this is an amazing work and sound conquest. thier first album was merely a 8, but if the ratings scale reached 22 i would give this album a 22. Expand
  71. eg
    Aug 28, 2002
    immense best of the year
  72. J.Whipple
    Aug 31, 2002
    Brilliant. And completely lacking pretension. This is the real deal.
  73. jake
    Aug 30, 2002
    You people are funny, this album is rather mediocre, I've listened to it beginning to end about a dozen times now, and it really isnt that good at all. To the guy that says this is better than "OK Computer" YEAH RIGHT! what a joke! Coldplay isn't a tenth of what Radiohead is/was.
  74. ClareF.
    Sep 13, 2002
    i love it the sound they make is just beautiful!
  75. JamieM.
    Sep 13, 2002
    A masterful album, puts Parachutes to shame
  76. VinceP.
    Sep 16, 2002
    I gave it a 5 only to don't give him a 0. Hated it. How can bands like Flaming Lips, Primal Scream, The Bees...., be considered worst then this guys. Forget this guys. Listen to The Bees, I am Kloot, etc.
  77. ChrisP.
    Sep 19, 2002
    I agree with Julian E. I bought both Parachutes and this album today and apart from Shiver and Yellow, you could call it limp wristed. But the follow up is far from it, especially the pounding drumming and searing guitar of the first track Politik, which is a great opening to an album. Albums such as The Who Whos Next has a great opening in Baba O' Riley, Pete Townsends arse kickin I agree with Julian E. I bought both Parachutes and this album today and apart from Shiver and Yellow, you could call it limp wristed. But the follow up is far from it, especially the pounding drumming and searing guitar of the first track Politik, which is a great opening to an album. Albums such as The Who Whos Next has a great opening in Baba O' Riley, Pete Townsends arse kickin guitar and John Entwistles (God rest his soul) phat bass lines, classic stuff! Expand
  78. Melissa
    Sep 4, 2002
    100% facade.
  79. thesillymofo
    Sep 6, 2002
    still shocked
  80. NateM.
    Sep 6, 2002
    By far, the best album of the year...however, coldplay is sitting a solid foot away from the greatness that U2 had attained in the 80's. They have a great ability to write great music, but their lyrics are weak. Even when they try to talk about something important, like in Politik, it is jumbled up in their often muddled lyrics. When the lyrics match the level of musical talent By far, the best album of the year...however, coldplay is sitting a solid foot away from the greatness that U2 had attained in the 80's. They have a great ability to write great music, but their lyrics are weak. Even when they try to talk about something important, like in Politik, it is jumbled up in their often muddled lyrics. When the lyrics match the level of musical talent they've achieved, then they will become one of the great British bands. Expand
  81. AG
    Sep 7, 2002
    This album is dull, predictable, and almost devoid of ideas. The majority of the tracks open and build the same way. Martin's melodies are pleasant but his bandmates add little to the material. Guitar melodies are usually two bars or less and they are happily repeated with little change. The drums and bass are there but far from interesting. Two or more lines are rarely played at the This album is dull, predictable, and almost devoid of ideas. The majority of the tracks open and build the same way. Martin's melodies are pleasant but his bandmates add little to the material. Guitar melodies are usually two bars or less and they are happily repeated with little change. The drums and bass are there but far from interesting. Two or more lines are rarely played at the same time leading to terribly simple and uninteresting music. This is Radiohead without the energy, intelligence, emotional depth, inventiveness, and talent. This is elevator music. It should sell well. Expand
  82. DaveD.
    Sep 8, 2002
    I'm a huge fan of brit-pop and of Coldplay's former album, "Parachute", but I just can't understand the universal acclaim of this album. I bought it before I read any reviews, and I thought it was a horribly repetitive, inspireless work. The lyrics are incredibly tepid and sound like a singer whose just filling in repetitive rhythms with cliched lyrics and spoiled imagery. I'm a huge fan of brit-pop and of Coldplay's former album, "Parachute", but I just can't understand the universal acclaim of this album. I bought it before I read any reviews, and I thought it was a horribly repetitive, inspireless work. The lyrics are incredibly tepid and sound like a singer whose just filling in repetitive rhythms with cliched lyrics and spoiled imagery. It sounds as if they're trying to sound like Doves's "Lost Souls", creating pop music that builds upon sonic landscapes, but can't find enough interesting ideas that can fill out a four minute song. Listening to this album back to back with Radiohead's past few sonic excursions, I realized Coldplay really is just a wannabe in every respect. I now know that I shouldn't have expected as much from their last meisterwork, "Parachutes". Coldplay is little more than Oasis deciding to steal the sound of Radiohead and Jeff Buckley instead of The Beatles, and the day will come when they matter just as little to the current pop landscape as the horrid imitative brats Oasis. A year ago I was hoping for only the best for Coldplay, but they have lost one fan because of this album. Hopefully next time, they'll write some songs that were created from inspired imagination instead of the awkward formulas that dominate this album. Expand
  83. bsaint
    Dec 24, 2003
    this might possibly be the best band of all time. this cd is so awesome. its puts you in a chill mode
  84. paul
    Feb 13, 2003
    a classic album
  85. Araelp
    Mar 23, 2003
    Bassist & drummer could put more emphasis on key rhythms musically speaking; 'sure is soothing to my soul though. thanks Coldplay
  86. VERVE.M
    Apr 19, 2003
    Maturity in both Lyrics and Tunes is Definetly present. A Psychadelic and Multi-Layered experience. This album can be classified under "Acquired Taste" Music. Something I see as absolutely positive. This is because the second you feel your humming a tune or predicting lyrics of a new album, then chances are the tunes and lyrics are cliches! Something this album overbridged........COLDPLAY Maturity in both Lyrics and Tunes is Definetly present. A Psychadelic and Multi-Layered experience. This album can be classified under "Acquired Taste" Music. Something I see as absolutely positive. This is because the second you feel your humming a tune or predicting lyrics of a new album, then chances are the tunes and lyrics are cliches! Something this album overbridged........COLDPLAY did an OUTSTANDING job...I'm proud to be a fan. Expand
  87. RodG.
    Apr 22, 2003
    Not as good as playin' live concerts, but they just turned my favourite band.
  88. DomS.
    Aug 10, 2003
    When it's good, it's pretty mediocre. When it's bad, it's still pretty mediocre. P.S. Ignore the lyrics. They will induce seizures. it makes you wonder how Gwyneth Paltrow can handle Chris Martin's "sweet little nothings" in her out-of-his-league ear.
  89. celestem
    Aug 1, 2003
    It is a wonderful piece of artsmanship from Coldplay.
  90. JonardV
    Feb 10, 2004
    If I could, I would give this album a 20. Those who rated this album under 5 need to stop sniffing the nose candy. I'm sick and tired of hearing comparisons with Radiohead, especially since Thom Yorke looks like Clay Aiken. Music is not meant to be "complicated", rather it is meant to ease the drive home...
    Jun 19, 2004
    Awesome. Usually, I like harder music, but this is an exception.
  92. SavannahT
    Jul 15, 2004
    When Coldplay's first album, Parachutes, came out I was stunned. They are a terrific band. A lot of bands will put out their first record and be awesome but their music tends to get boring with the up and coming albums. Coldplay really knows how to overcome that. A Rush of Blood to the Head is a terrific CD and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a great band.
  93. eidoro
    Jul 17, 2004
    I was waiting for some new band that has the potential to become a second Pink Floyd to appear. Radiohead being a good experience, but still rather not having the "je ne sais quoi" of what's needed to someday become the Floyd of this century, still lacks energy. Instead here come Coldplay. True potential, refined sound, more then decent lyrics. It deserves a 9, as the only album that I was waiting for some new band that has the potential to become a second Pink Floyd to appear. Radiohead being a good experience, but still rather not having the "je ne sais quoi" of what's needed to someday become the Floyd of this century, still lacks energy. Instead here come Coldplay. True potential, refined sound, more then decent lyrics. It deserves a 9, as the only album that deservers a 10 is, in my humble opinion, "Amused To Death", by Roger Waters. Expand
  94. TylerD
    Jun 7, 2005
    The first time I heard "Clocks", I fell in love with it. The CD is no different. Am I a hardcore Coldplay fan? No, definately not. But it's no doubt they have talent. Lots of talent.
  95. DavidP
    Jul 29, 2005
    The best Coldplay album. Very different from Parachutes, their first album and also a great one. The sound is darker, it is a more complex work, and it takes several listens to appreciate it. If you have not listened any of their albums, I recommend you to listen Parachutes first.
  96. BT
    Sep 27, 2005
    This is one of the best Albums ever made. Coldplay have a great sound, and great lyrics. I read that somebody put "did people forget about Oasis". Im guessing this person didnt realize that Oasis said Coldplay is the best new band out, and Oasis is great too. This album has no end to great songs, and is good from start to end.
  97. ColdplayFan
    Jan 23, 2006
    AROBBTH starts off with a great 5 songs, and continues to produce after that. Politik has great driving guitar, In my place is a great supporter, GPASUYF is incredible, etc. etc. All the way to Amsterdam. That has to be the best song ever recorded.
  98. KyleighH
    Feb 11, 2006
    I love this album. I used to have it, but now I don't anymore. I love the songs "Clocks" and "The Scientist." Coldplay's "A Rush Of Blood To the Head" album is good as their "Parachutes" album. I even heard the song "Clocks" on ER during the 2002-03 season. This is a good album.
  99. JennaP
    Jun 11, 2006
    It saddens me to see such acerbic reviews-particulary from Pitchfork and New York Magazine-for what is certainly one of the best records of the (middle-aged) decade. This is Coldplay at the top of their game--Parachutes was a bit too sleepy and X+Y a bit too hollow. Chris Martin's piano is an integral part to breathing life into cascading songs like Politik and Clocks while Jonny It saddens me to see such acerbic reviews-particulary from Pitchfork and New York Magazine-for what is certainly one of the best records of the (middle-aged) decade. This is Coldplay at the top of their game--Parachutes was a bit too sleepy and X+Y a bit too hollow. Chris Martin's piano is an integral part to breathing life into cascading songs like Politik and Clocks while Jonny Buckland's guitar melodies elevates In My Place and God Put A Smile Upon Your Face into bona fide anthems. Even the 'filler' songs (Daylight, A Whisper) have something inherently unique and special about them. And must I even mention the ballad The Scientist which Coldplay manages to get more than right---hard to come by these days. Wow I love this record. You need it in your life. Expand
  100. TyeN.
    Jun 16, 2006
    This is my favorite album of all-time. I cannot give it enough praise. Coldplay made good on their early potential from "Parachutes" and delivered a masterpiece. "X&Y" may be better sonically, but this album has everything. Although I suggest listening to every single track, the big stand-outs are "Politik", "In My Place", "God Put A Smile Upon Your Face", "The Scientist", "Clocks" (my This is my favorite album of all-time. I cannot give it enough praise. Coldplay made good on their early potential from "Parachutes" and delivered a masterpiece. "X&Y" may be better sonically, but this album has everything. Although I suggest listening to every single track, the big stand-outs are "Politik", "In My Place", "God Put A Smile Upon Your Face", "The Scientist", "Clocks" (my favorite song ever, by the way), and the gorgeous "Amsterdam." This album desrves to be recognized for what it truly is: a once in a lifetime masterpiece of epic proportions. I can't wait to hear album number four. Expand

1. Without the emotional resonance of Martin's voice at its most free, Coldplay's brilliantly minimal musical foundation has nothing to support. So it falters.
  2. Coldplay's new record is a little edgier, trancier, and more conversational than their last. It is called A Rush of Blood to the Head, and in waves and swells of major tunes and frisky then looping time signatures, that's just about the effect it has.
  3. But while the sound of this album is more expansive, the influences a bit less obvious, and the approach more varied, the guys forgot to tote along their initial strength: the songs.