• Record Label: Capitol
8.7

Review this album

1. DaveV.
    Sep 10, 2002
    God put a smile upon your face - More like Coldplay put a smile on my face. Outstanding
  2. IreneL.
    Sep 2, 2002
    "A Rush of Blood..." prove Coldplay's prowess and seemingly unlimited talent. Truly hummable and accessable melodies serve as a facade to a much more thoughtful and tension-filled core.
  3. scottg
    Jan 7, 2003
    this is a truly superb follow up to parachutes. the album takes coldplay to another level this album will rock any venue in the uk but may find it hard in the states. keep up the good work lads
  4. TomM
    Aug 10, 2004
    Great album. As good as parachutes. Very pleasantly surprised
  5. BujarR
    May 14, 2005
    Well....shortly.BEST ALBUM OF ALL TIMES!
  6. VerenaS.
    Oct 1, 2002
    woha! this album is great!
  7. Amber
    Oct 12, 2002
    Dramatically beautiful. It reaches new heights of a clean and very dynamic musical sound. I enjoyed it from start to finish....positive, spiritual and innovative. Coldplay is classic.
  8. Tommy
    Oct 1, 2002
    the most melodic album to come out maybe ever. As someone once put it, 'it's all about the tunes'. Oh, you'll get the odd person complaining about how this band's overrated, but it's only because he (and it's always a guy) can't hear passion and emotion within a song. They don't get this band. The other 99.9% of us do. Buy it, post haste.
  9. JulianE.
    Aug 27, 2002
    All analysis aside - Wow! I actually found Parachutes a bit wet and even dull in parts - however obvious the talent. This one is alive! It is the least pretentious and contrived masterpiece I have come across in many a moon. Head, heart and spirit music for the ages and ya can still sing along! It's so rare that music of beauty uplifts without preaching from on high - this music says All analysis aside - Wow! I actually found Parachutes a bit wet and even dull in parts - however obvious the talent. This one is alive! It is the least pretentious and contrived masterpiece I have come across in many a moon. Head, heart and spirit music for the ages and ya can still sing along! It's so rare that music of beauty uplifts without preaching from on high - this music says come with me, not join me up here. Expand
  10. JonN.
    Sep 2, 2002
    Simply put, one of the best albums i have ever heard. It surpasses the original album "Parachutes" without bound--the emotions that the album arouses from my senses is beyond extraordinary. The only thing i can say to criticize the album is that it makes me too sad at times. All emotions aside, it is a definite 10.
  11. R.B.
    Sep 24, 2002
    One of those albums that you know is great the first time you listen. Every track is a musical journey through beauty , grace and uplifting power.
  12. anonymous
    Sep 5, 2002
    just listen to it
  13. AndreeC.
    Sep 5, 2002
    Gorgeous songs!!! Fantastic Album!!!
  14. TracyG
    Jan 8, 2003
    This Album is Great. The Group is awesome. I have never heard music like this before. This group has me in a trance. I love them, Tracy, 25, San Diego
  15. DavidJ
    Mar 26, 2003
    That anyone actually gave this album a "0" is just sad. This is without doubt the strongest album of 2002!
  16. MitchH.
    Mar 4, 2003
    This is one of the best CD's I have. All the songs on the CD are either as good as the one before or better. Music at it's best.
  17. MaryS
    Mar 9, 2003
    This album is amazing. You have to listen to it a few times, but after that I was hooked and Coldplay has become one of my favorite bands!
  18. scottm
    May 6, 2003
    relaxing and talented. this band is a true band and real songs on their albums.
  19. EloiseH
    Aug 6, 2003
    It's awesome
  20. BenB
    Jun 10, 2005
    Wow....it dosn't get any better than this. A masterpiece
  21. JoelW
    Jun 15, 2005
    This was the album that made me stop. 'The Scientist' is magnificent, musical genius, while 'Clocks' was the single that attracted me. There are few who are so undeniably and potentially talented as Martin, Berryman, Buckland and Champion. Everyone knows them. They will go on to become one of the greatest bands of their time. I have little doubt.
  22. MarkH
    May 16, 2006
    One of the best albums of the decade! Contemplative... but not overly deep, this album will not disappoint.
  23. JohnK
    Jun 1, 2006
    One of the albums that will truly change your life, all of these songs are ones that you can listen to over and over and never get tired of.......personal favorites include God Put a Smile Upon Your Face [one of the best musically done songs in a long time] The Scientist [amazingly beautiful] and Amsterdam [incomparable]
  24. JoeyC
    Jul 7, 2006
    Certain albums are timeless, this is one. I;ll never forget the first time i heard 'clocks' it hit me then that coldplay was a band that was gonna leave an impression on music lovers abroad. This album will go down in history as one of the greatest.
  25. DoronH
    Oct 10, 2002
    very touching lyrics and music
  26. MikeM.
    Oct 15, 2002
    This is simply an absolutely amazing album. Coldplay have now become my favorite band.
  27. RobertS.
    Oct 18, 2002
    This album is compiled well and is extremely good, i recommend this to everyone. Every track has its own meaning and every track sucks you in.
  28. LongPongSilver
    Oct 2, 2002
    This is really great album. In MyPlace is very infectious single.. The Scientist is beautifully written song about lost-love.. Yeah.. It's the best Coldplay song ever written.. Are they boring, well at least they've tried to write somewhat pretencious political songs (Politik, A Rush Of Blood). So they are not afraid to stay away from formulaic ballad.. Travis however still This is really great album. In MyPlace is very infectious single.. The Scientist is beautifully written song about lost-love.. Yeah.. It's the best Coldplay song ever written.. Are they boring, well at least they've tried to write somewhat pretencious political songs (Politik, A Rush Of Blood). So they are not afraid to stay away from formulaic ballad.. Travis however still written those whiny sappy ballads. And They aren't there to stay away from it.. Expand
  29. MaxinquayeD
    Oct 4, 2002
    This is a superb offering. It grabs and hold your attention from beginning to end. I wouldn't say that it is better than their first effort, since the sounds is different. It is however, much more vibrant, upbeat,versatile lyrically and sonically and just damn good. Definitely worth your moolah.
  30. ChrisE.
    Oct 9, 2002
    If there's been a better relase this year I have not heard it. I never got into Parachutes, but oh man do I love this one! It's subtle, but give it time and it will blow you away!
  31. Tom
    Aug 23, 2002
    This is my favorite album since Achtung Baby. It just beats out OK computer because at the end of the day it has the tunes from the first track to the last. A stunning achievement, and a new litmus test for me. In other words, if you don't like this album, we couldn't possibly be friends.
  32. ViperT.
    Aug 25, 2002
    whoa!
  33. MartijnD.
    Aug 26, 2002
    This is a great album. Probably the best to come out this year so be sure to buy it!
  34. CalvinI.
    Aug 27, 2002
    i haven't even finished listening to this album and already i am giving it a ten. even if the other 6 songs turn out to be crap this cd still deserves a ten. from what i heard so far this is so much of an improvement from thier first album. thier first album clearly showed thier potential to bring the life out of thier sound but this album they finally realize it and flesh it out i haven't even finished listening to this album and already i am giving it a ten. even if the other 6 songs turn out to be crap this cd still deserves a ten. from what i heard so far this is so much of an improvement from thier first album. thier first album clearly showed thier potential to bring the life out of thier sound but this album they finally realize it and flesh it out rather then just sparsly using it. the last album was good (and strangely) relaxing brit pop songs but these are less like songs and more like sound experiences you thrust yourself into and this album clearly shows they were not half assing on thier time off. they have clearly matured and progressed as musicians (even if thier new cd kinda sounds a little like radiohead's "the bends" album), but this is an amazing work and sound conquest. thier first album was merely a 8, but if the ratings scale reached 22 i would give this album a 22. Expand
  35. eg
    Aug 28, 2002
    immense best of the year
  36. J.Whipple
    Aug 31, 2002
    Brilliant. And completely lacking pretension. This is the real deal.
  37. ClareF.
    Sep 13, 2002
    i love it the sound they make is just beautiful!
  38. JamieM.
    Sep 13, 2002
    A masterful album, puts Parachutes to shame
  39. thesillymofo
    Sep 6, 2002
    still shocked
  40. bsaint
    Dec 24, 2003
    this might possibly be the best band of all time. this cd is so awesome. its puts you in a chill mode
  41. paul
    Feb 13, 2003
    a classic album
  42. TimH
    Feb 21, 2003
    Glorious album - no jumped up tricks or pretensions here - just beautiful music. For me Warning Sign hits the spot perfectly
  43. VERVE.M
    Apr 19, 2003
    Maturity in both Lyrics and Tunes is Definetly present. A Psychadelic and Multi-Layered experience. This album can be classified under "Acquired Taste" Music. Something I see as absolutely positive. This is because the second you feel your humming a tune or predicting lyrics of a new album, then chances are the tunes and lyrics are cliches! Something this album overbridged........COLDPLAY Maturity in both Lyrics and Tunes is Definetly present. A Psychadelic and Multi-Layered experience. This album can be classified under "Acquired Taste" Music. Something I see as absolutely positive. This is because the second you feel your humming a tune or predicting lyrics of a new album, then chances are the tunes and lyrics are cliches! Something this album overbridged........COLDPLAY did an OUTSTANDING job...I'm proud to be a fan. Expand
  44. celestem
    Aug 1, 2003
    It is a wonderful piece of artsmanship from Coldplay.
  45. JonardV
    Feb 10, 2004
    If I could, I would give this album a 20. Those who rated this album under 5 need to stop sniffing the nose candy. I'm sick and tired of hearing comparisons with Radiohead, especially since Thom Yorke looks like Clay Aiken. Music is not meant to be "complicated", rather it is meant to ease the drive home...
    Jun 19, 2004
    Awesome. Usually, I like harder music, but this is an exception.
  47. SavannahT
    Jul 15, 2004
    When Coldplay's first album, Parachutes, came out I was stunned. They are a terrific band. A lot of bands will put out their first record and be awesome but their music tends to get boring with the up and coming albums. Coldplay really knows how to overcome that. A Rush of Blood to the Head is a terrific CD and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a great band.
  48. BT
    Sep 27, 2005
    This is one of the best Albums ever made. Coldplay have a great sound, and great lyrics. I read that somebody put "did people forget about Oasis". Im guessing this person didnt realize that Oasis said Coldplay is the best new band out, and Oasis is great too. This album has no end to great songs, and is good from start to end.
  49. KyleighH
    Feb 11, 2006
    I love this album. I used to have it, but now I don't anymore. I love the songs "Clocks" and "The Scientist." Coldplay's "A Rush Of Blood To the Head" album is good as their "Parachutes" album. I even heard the song "Clocks" on ER during the 2002-03 season. This is a good album.
  50. JennaP
    Jun 11, 2006
    It saddens me to see such acerbic reviews-particulary from Pitchfork and New York Magazine-for what is certainly one of the best records of the (middle-aged) decade. This is Coldplay at the top of their game--Parachutes was a bit too sleepy and X+Y a bit too hollow. Chris Martin's piano is an integral part to breathing life into cascading songs like Politik and Clocks while Jonny It saddens me to see such acerbic reviews-particulary from Pitchfork and New York Magazine-for what is certainly one of the best records of the (middle-aged) decade. This is Coldplay at the top of their game--Parachutes was a bit too sleepy and X+Y a bit too hollow. Chris Martin's piano is an integral part to breathing life into cascading songs like Politik and Clocks while Jonny Buckland's guitar melodies elevates In My Place and God Put A Smile Upon Your Face into bona fide anthems. Even the 'filler' songs (Daylight, A Whisper) have something inherently unique and special about them. And must I even mention the ballad The Scientist which Coldplay manages to get more than right---hard to come by these days. Wow I love this record. You need it in your life. Expand
  51. TyeN.
    Jun 16, 2006
    This is my favorite album of all-time. I cannot give it enough praise. Coldplay made good on their early potential from "Parachutes" and delivered a masterpiece. "X&Y" may be better sonically, but this album has everything. Although I suggest listening to every single track, the big stand-outs are "Politik", "In My Place", "God Put A Smile Upon Your Face", "The Scientist", "Clocks" (my This is my favorite album of all-time. I cannot give it enough praise. Coldplay made good on their early potential from "Parachutes" and delivered a masterpiece. "X&Y" may be better sonically, but this album has everything. Although I suggest listening to every single track, the big stand-outs are "Politik", "In My Place", "God Put A Smile Upon Your Face", "The Scientist", "Clocks" (my favorite song ever, by the way), and the gorgeous "Amsterdam." This album desrves to be recognized for what it truly is: a once in a lifetime masterpiece of epic proportions. I can't wait to hear album number four. Expand
  52. SkyNight
    Jul 25, 2006
    this c.d. is great from start to finish. the powerful music and soothing voice give this albuman edge. i still enjoy this album to this day and it makes me feel every emotion in my body!
  53. daven
    Sep 22, 2006
    When Coldplay burst out onto mainstream radio with "Parachutes" it was clear that this was a band ready-made for stardom. Parachutes had the perfect indie appeal while showcasing their ability to perfect pop songs. This great CD was in no way a preperation for the brilliant "A Rush of Blood to the Head". From beginning to end, every song is a gem. Politik sucks you in with its intense When Coldplay burst out onto mainstream radio with "Parachutes" it was clear that this was a band ready-made for stardom. Parachutes had the perfect indie appeal while showcasing their ability to perfect pop songs. This great CD was in no way a preperation for the brilliant "A Rush of Blood to the Head". From beginning to end, every song is a gem. Politik sucks you in with its intense string section and leaves you there the entire time. Coldplay has already reached their masterpiece 2 CDs in and there is no way to go now except down. Expand
  54. Myles#13
    Sep 6, 2006
    Quite simply... fantastic album. This is the album that put Coldplay on the top of the rock and roll (albeit lite) world. Those who don't like Coldplay... give them a bloody chance, they are a GREAT band! Personal fav's are 'God Put A Smile Upon Your Face', 'Scientist', 'Green Eyes' and the title track.
  55. garym
    Feb 15, 2007
    I'm a hard rock/hip-hop fan, so I don't listen to "make out" music all that much. But even I can say this album is awesome. When its all said and done, this will go down as the album of the decade because of its universal likability.
  56. ScottW.
    Aug 15, 2007
    Truly a beautifully cold album.The sound of coldplay is perfect in this second album. A classic and one of the the best albums ever made.
  57. JoshJ
    Oct 22, 2008
    This album was the best Coldplay album ever. It is exciting and intelligent from start to finish. Impressive accomplishment.
  58. AdrianN
    Jul 26, 2009
    The album was probably the greatest I ever heard of. It also show you that alternative rock doesn't have to be loud with some of their songs that a mellow and slow. It was obviously best when it was recorded after 9/11 that gave them asome good ideas that they can record. One of my favourites was "God Put A Smile Upon your face" which is like a revenge song but with lots of warnings. The album was probably the greatest I ever heard of. It also show you that alternative rock doesn't have to be loud with some of their songs that a mellow and slow. It was obviously best when it was recorded after 9/11 that gave them asome good ideas that they can record. One of my favourites was "God Put A Smile Upon your face" which is like a revenge song but with lots of warnings. It then. Expand
  59. DaveS.
    Aug 23, 2002
    Stunning album,the best of the year by far and for me a defining point in British guitar music.
  60. AlanW.
    Aug 23, 2002
    Stunningly beautfiful and powerful.
  61. AndyH.
    Sep 12, 2002
    Simply amazing.
  62. RyanP
    Sep 16, 2002
    Can't stop listening to this thing.
  63. IsaiahW
    Nov 17, 2003
    Coldplay is a very talented band. This cd has very good music. Alot soft bands are hated but this band has skill and knows how to make soft music good even though it is soft. Both CD'S by Coldplay kick.
  64. AlexP
    Dec 6, 2003
    coldplay kicks ass. screw all of you who think otherwise. especially all you britney spears fans...
  65. Brian
    Feb 16, 2003
    By far the best album I've heard in quite a long time. The first time I listened to the CD, I was dumbfounded. It's amazing. Chris Martin is a phenomenal pianist and vocalist, and that alone compensates for the ocassional repition. Then the video for "The Scientist" officially did it. I fell in love with the band. They're awesome!
  66. Jenn
    Feb 24, 2003
    Incredible, the sound is fluid.
  67. JanelleR
    Mar 13, 2003
    This CD was superb!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  68. Mr.Bobertz
    Mar 22, 2003
    This is a good album. It isnt meant to be lighthearted or fast paced. If it was, it would be that way. Id hardly call it the best album ever, but its good.
  69. PattyP
    Mar 25, 2003
    I think this CD is just absolutely great. I love it!!!.
  70. MikeC
    Sep 19, 2003
    I cant believe how people have come out and given this album and the band absolute shit. This album would have to be one of the greatest of my time and if people cant recognise that then they should go back to listening to Britney Spears, Eminem and all that other crap because that is about the limit of their musical intelligence.
  71. LizB
    Mar 29, 2004
    The entire album is great. The song 'The Scientist' has a special meaning to me and it is amazing. Warning Sign is great too!
  72. John
    Aug 17, 2004
    Beautiful, Sublime, Intellectual, Literate, and Perfect: all words that come to mind when I think of this cd
  73. nickco
    Nov 29, 2002
    The best album i've ever listened to. Chris Martin is a lyrical genious and the sound is awesome.
  74. Mar 18, 2011
    By far Coldplay's greatest work, beautiful, melancholy art rock from the mid of a mind who in no way sounds like Radiohead (as many assume) this album saved my life and brought me into the world of music
  75. Jan 22, 2011
    Absolutely fantastic masterpiece
    probably the best album of the whole decade
    not a single bad or weak song even "A Whisper" is amazing

and those who keep comparing Coldplay and Radiohead should shut up
  76. Aug 6, 2011
    For me, the greatest Coldplay album and one of the best of the decade. Possibly the coldplay album with the most piano. Songs like "Green eyes", "clocks", "a rush of blood to the head", "the scientist" or "politik" are top class melodic rock. I would only delete the song "god put a smile up on your face". Here they don't sound like first era Radiohead at all as they did on their fantasticFor me, the greatest Coldplay album and one of the best of the decade. Possibly the coldplay album with the most piano. Songs like "Green eyes", "clocks", "a rush of blood to the head", "the scientist" or "politik" are top class melodic rock. I would only delete the song "god put a smile up on your face". Here they don't sound like first era Radiohead at all as they did on their fantastic first album. Expand
  77. Oct 28, 2011
    This album is certainly Coldplay's best in my opinion. It is full of masterpieces and has a great mood to it. Best songs are "God Put A Smile Upon Your Face", "In My Place, "The Scientist", "Green Eyes" and "Politik".
  78. Sep 8, 2011
    This album is fantastic!!!! It's just an absolutely timeless classic, you can immerse yourself in their music and there are so many memorable tracks. Coldplay are an AWESOME group.
  79. Sep 21, 2013
    Coldplay surpasses Parachutes with a bold, determined, and flawless album, A Rush of Blood to the the Head. The Scientist, Clocks, In My Place, A Whisper, and a Rush of Blood to the head are the frontrunners in this race and the rest are close behind. This race being musical greatness.
  80. Nov 16, 2011
    One of the best albums of the 00's. A fantastic follow up to their classic debut, this cemented Coldplays rep as one of the most consistent bands of the decade. 11 tracks, the majority of them are anthems. Starts with the brooding Politik, followed by a string of hit singles. The beautiful Green Eyes is at the heart of the record while the dark and soaring title track brings thingsOne of the best albums of the 00's. A fantastic follow up to their classic debut, this cemented Coldplays rep as one of the most consistent bands of the decade. 11 tracks, the majority of them are anthems. Starts with the brooding Politik, followed by a string of hit singles. The beautiful Green Eyes is at the heart of the record while the dark and soaring title track brings things crashing towards an end before the gentle Amsterdam gently see's us off. Everything about this record is good, production, songs, musicianmanship, running time. Even if your one of those people who hate the band because thats the trendy thing to do, you can't help but love this record. Expand
  81. Nov 4, 2011
    Best album by Coldplay to this day. Its the best tracks are "A Rush of Blood to the Head," "Green Eyes," "Scientist," and "Clocks." I recommend this masterpiece to anyone who wants to hear good music.
  82. Sep 29, 2012
    This is Coldplay's masterpiece. "Politik" and "God Put A Smile Upon Your Face" are quality rock songs, the "The Scientist" and "Warning Sign" are some of the best melancholic songs you will hear, the sophisticated indie tracks, "Daylight" and "Whisper", are addictive, however, the best song on here is "Clocks". The hypnotic piano riff is heavenly. Breathtaking.
  83. Oct 2, 2012
    I don't even know hot describe how much I love this record. This album is the sole reason I started listening to Coldplay as a serious listener and even considering them as one of my favourite bands. Chris Martin's vocals and Jonny Buckland's electric guitar are terrific. Whenever I listen to the title track of the album, I always feel like I'm climbing a hill and it's so cold and I needI don't even know hot describe how much I love this record. This album is the sole reason I started listening to Coldplay as a serious listener and even considering them as one of my favourite bands. Chris Martin's vocals and Jonny Buckland's electric guitar are terrific. Whenever I listen to the title track of the album, I always feel like I'm climbing a hill and it's so cold and I need to make some decisions. Believe me, but I actually used to be a Coldplay hater but that's before I listened to songs like "In My Place", "Politik", "A Rush of Blood to the Head", "Green Eyes" and "Warning Sign". I can easily call it my most favourite Coldplay album. Expand
  84. Jun 4, 2014
    Beautiful. Simply beautiful. Chris Martin, although slightly unadept in writing lyrics, and his band of musicians, never fails to amuse and amaze for the second time. The best album of Coldplay, behind it is Viva La Vida.
  85. RickS
    Aug 11, 2003
    I must say i have to agree with Matthew S, when people talk and compare bands to zepplin or floyd, they come off sounding as if they know nothing about music... I don't think people understand coldplay's music, in this time of nu-metal, where the only on thats seen is the screaming singer, people forgot what a band sounds like as a whole....Coldplay does this.Plain and simple I must say i have to agree with Matthew S, when people talk and compare bands to zepplin or floyd, they come off sounding as if they know nothing about music... I don't think people understand coldplay's music, in this time of nu-metal, where the only on thats seen is the screaming singer, people forgot what a band sounds like as a whole....Coldplay does this.Plain and simple everyone gets the spotlight.. The guitar is not over done like so many bands but it goes along with a certain mood(something like fleetwood mac). The bass goes quite good with martin's voice.. I did however find the drums to be a little boring, i'll agree with Ali M on that...But overall Coldplay is one of the most talented and unique bands out there....... Expand
  86. JackMB
    Jun 6, 2005
    This is a great album, which will grown on you with time. It's different if not better to Parachutes. However, this can only be given a 9, as after listening to X&Y this is clearly inferior.
  87. brianm
    Sep 1, 2002
    the sound of a band willing to build on its success, not lay stagnant in it. the album has a familiar sound, but boldly goes places parachutes did not.
  88. AnshumanS.
    Sep 15, 2002
    well,this is really good.by listening to their music,it feels as if they have been in the music scene for years and years.but,the truth is it's just their second album and i'm telling you-they r here to stay for a long -long time indeed.way to go,coldplay!if u guys have loved their album,then u can try out travis's 2!!!
  89. JohnM.
    Sep 9, 2002
    It's a great album. I love the first song especially. But as far as being the greatest brit pop band right now, I think that the Doves are superior to Coldplay. The Last Broadcast is simply phenomenal.
  90. richard
    Feb 13, 2003
    Didn't really like it at first, but it's a grower. After about a month it suddenly clicked and i realised i owned a masterpiece. Stunning
  91. PaulM
    Jan 1, 2008
    A Rush of Blood to the Head is, without doubt, a fantastic achievement. But for me, that's not the point. People can rave about the album's sales, or maybe complain about the band drawing heavy influences and therefore coming of as unoriginal. But its how the music makes you feel, how it reaches you, that matters. That, to me, is more important than anything. A Rush of Blood is, A Rush of Blood to the Head is, without doubt, a fantastic achievement. But for me, that's not the point. People can rave about the album's sales, or maybe complain about the band drawing heavy influences and therefore coming of as unoriginal. But its how the music makes you feel, how it reaches you, that matters. That, to me, is more important than anything. A Rush of Blood is, a beautifully compelling album, with a variety of songs that evoke different emotions from me every time I listen to them. What more can I say? Its an incredible album, and no matter what, nothing anyone says will dissuade me from that notion. The quality of the music is refined and stupendous, with songs like Clocks and In My Place transporting you to another place, affecting you in a way that I can't describe. The Scientist, which makes me close my eyes for just a moment, and listen to the beauty of music, and of lyrics that surpass most songwriters who have been writing for years. Politik, which brings about a certain inner rage, and reaches you in a different way that the rest of Coldplay's songs, is definitely worth listening too. God Put a Smile Upon Your Face is a song that makes you question everything you know, but brings an inner sense of peace. The only negative of this album is that the songs I've mentioned overshadow the album's other tracks; while good in quality, I often find myself skipping them to listen to those that are stunning in quality. But beside that, i think this album is a great collaboration of songs that range from phenomenal to good; not one song can be rated as bad. Expand
  92. Matt
    Nov 1, 2002
    To me, it's one thing to not like an album, but a "0", I think that this album at least deserves a "1", even if it is just for effort. But, I respect everyone's opinion, so you don't really have to listen to my b****ing. Seriously, though. I think that this is a very good album, significantly better than their previous one. Not the best ever, but fans of the genre must pick it up.
  93. MichaelE.
    Oct 7, 2002
    Seems pretty boring and mediocre at first, and the lyrics certainly aren't much of an artistic statement, but 'round about 1:00 AM on the fifth or sixth listen it suddenly becomes exquisitely, breathtakingly GORGEOUS.
  94. ChrisP.
    Sep 19, 2002
    I agree with Julian E. I bought both Parachutes and this album today and apart from Shiver and Yellow, you could call it limp wristed. But the follow up is far from it, especially the pounding drumming and searing guitar of the first track Politik, which is a great opening to an album. Albums such as The Who Whos Next has a great opening in Baba O' Riley, Pete Townsends arse kickin I agree with Julian E. I bought both Parachutes and this album today and apart from Shiver and Yellow, you could call it limp wristed. But the follow up is far from it, especially the pounding drumming and searing guitar of the first track Politik, which is a great opening to an album. Albums such as The Who Whos Next has a great opening in Baba O' Riley, Pete Townsends arse kickin guitar and John Entwistles (God rest his soul) phat bass lines, classic stuff! Expand
  95. Araelp
    Mar 23, 2003
    Bassist & drummer could put more emphasis on key rhythms musically speaking; 'sure is soothing to my soul though. thanks Coldplay
  96. anshumans
    Mar 29, 2003
    well just their second album and they r already up there.infact they came into the scene as matured guys.outstanding group.
  97. RodG.
    Apr 22, 2003
    Not as good as playin' live concerts, but they just turned my favourite band.
  98. eidoro
    Jul 17, 2004
    I was waiting for some new band that has the potential to become a second Pink Floyd to appear. Radiohead being a good experience, but still rather not having the "je ne sais quoi" of what's needed to someday become the Floyd of this century, still lacks energy. Instead here come Coldplay. True potential, refined sound, more then decent lyrics. It deserves a 9, as the only album that I was waiting for some new band that has the potential to become a second Pink Floyd to appear. Radiohead being a good experience, but still rather not having the "je ne sais quoi" of what's needed to someday become the Floyd of this century, still lacks energy. Instead here come Coldplay. True potential, refined sound, more then decent lyrics. It deserves a 9, as the only album that deservers a 10 is, in my humble opinion, "Amused To Death", by Roger Waters. Expand
  99. TylerD
    Jun 7, 2005
    The first time I heard "Clocks", I fell in love with it. The CD is no different. Am I a hardcore Coldplay fan? No, definately not. But it's no doubt they have talent. Lots of talent.
  100. DavidP
    Jul 29, 2005
    The best Coldplay album. Very different from Parachutes, their first album and also a great one. The sound is darker, it is a more complex work, and it takes several listens to appreciate it. If you have not listened any of their albums, I recommend you to listen Parachutes first.

1. Without the emotional resonance of Martin's voice at its most free, Coldplay's brilliantly minimal musical foundation has nothing to support. So it falters.
  2. Coldplay's new record is a little edgier, trancier, and more conversational than their last. It is called A Rush of Blood to the Head, and in waves and swells of major tunes and frisky then looping time signatures, that's just about the effect it has.
  3. But while the sound of this album is more expansive, the influences a bit less obvious, and the approach more varied, the guys forgot to tote along their initial strength: the songs.