by U2
  • Release Date: Oct 31, 2000
7.7

Review this album

1. Dec 25, 2014
    Excelente Disco A 3 Obra Prima,Depois De The Joshua Tree E Achtung Baby.
    Top All That You Can't Leave Behind.
    1-Walk On
    2-Beautiful Day
    3-Kite
    4-Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of
    5-When I Look At The World
  2. Nov 9, 2014
    This album begins with an instant classic in Beautiful Day, but it's all downhill from there. It seems U2 starts out will some ideas for the first half of the album, then completely forgets what they were writing about by the second half. The first few tracks are the best, but each song gets more boring until you get to Wild Honey and Peace on Earth, in which you're practically justThis album begins with an instant classic in Beautiful Day, but it's all downhill from there. It seems U2 starts out will some ideas for the first half of the album, then completely forgets what they were writing about by the second half. The first few tracks are the best, but each song gets more boring until you get to Wild Honey and Peace on Earth, in which you're practically just asleep. New York almost picks up the momentum again, but it takes too long to develop and suffers from its length. U2 just lost touch with what made them great on this album. Expand
  3. Aug 1, 2014
    Beautiful Day (9.25) I remember my Dad playing this song alot in the car when I was in middle school. And while it's new U2 I really love it because it's a great song to play if you are having a great day. The guitar riffs are great in the song. He talks about traveling and I feel when the change in the the lyrics hits and tone of the instruments change at the end is the best part. 'WhatBeautiful Day (9.25) I remember my Dad playing this song alot in the car when I was in middle school. And while it's new U2 I really love it because it's a great song to play if you are having a great day. The guitar riffs are great in the song. He talks about traveling and I feel when the change in the the lyrics hits and tone of the instruments change at the end is the best part. 'What you don't have you don't need it now' is my favorite line.

Stuck In a Moment You Can't Get Out Of (8.5) I really like this song because it really raises the problem alot that people have letting things go that they care about. The tempo is soothing and calm and the vocals change throughout the song subtly and shows U2's artistic prowess. The main reason I gave this song a 8.5 was because of the unique subject it brought up.

Elevation (8.5) This song really has good use of electonica/synth guitar and the vocals in the beginning that Bono uses makes the song unique. How the chorus hits really is why this song is good I think. I think this is the the standard in why songs are deemed good by people who appreciate good music.

Walk On (9.25) I really love this song, especially when the the instruments hit in the beginning and those four guitar notes as well as the solo in the middle of the song. What I really take away from the title of the song and lyrics is to walk away from your problems and to try and maintain your sanity the best you can. I've tried to move away from Ohio with this song playing so many times and I can't. The whole identity of the song changes near the end and my favorite line Bono says is 'You've got to leave it behind.'

Kite (9) This song is really relaxing and soothing and the drop the guitar creates is really great throughout the song. The chorus is really great in this song and the accentuated notes really give this song alot of life. The solos are really awesome and when Bono really gets vocal later in the track really is great.

In A Little While (7.5) This track has alot of jazzy overtones and would be a really great track to listen to at a quieter volume if you needed to get work done or something. It remains pretty similar throughout the track but it still sounds good.

Wild Honey (7.5) This song kind of sounds Beatleish with the simple guitar chords in the backgrounds. How the electric comes in shortly after is neat I think. It reminds me of the track before this one because of the conservative instrumentals. The vocals get a little more interesting later in the track probably to keep it interesting.

Peace On Earth (8) Obviously the title of this song is great and the music associated with this track is very soothing and calm. The simple acoustics are great and they really match the song title with the music that was created. The calm electronica adds a great element to the song as well and keeps it interesting to the ear.

When I Look At The World (8.5) The beginning of this song has really cool sounding guitar riffs, along with the sounds U2 creates when the track picks up. The solo in the middle of the song is really awesome and shows the true genius between all the musicians that are associated with U2. The track calms down before the end.

New York (9) The cool, calm, and collected beat in the beginning of the song is really great. And the subtle guitar in the background lets you know the song is about to blow up. The title represents one of the greatest cities in the world. When the electric guitar hits, it adds that element to any successful song.

Grace (7.5) This song has a certain calming effect to it and is a good wind down to the album. The drums in the background do good setting a beat. The guitar is simple but does good adding to the relaxing effect the track gives to the listener.

The Ground Beneath Her Feet (8) This song is really great because it starts off very calm and really picks up and you really don't expect it if you've never listened to it. It is a good song to end the album because it kind of throws the listener off a little bit and kept me in an upbeat mood like maybe I want to go listen to more U2.
  4. Nov 5, 2013
    This is a vastly overrated comeback. The album has momentum with the first three tracks, then goes down from there. A main problem is the production, which makes these songs sound bland and sparse. The main reason that this effort is commendable is because it's sweet and sugary, never trying to be something that it's not. Basically a caricature of a U2 album, ATYCLB is the sound of a bandThis is a vastly overrated comeback. The album has momentum with the first three tracks, then goes down from there. A main problem is the production, which makes these songs sound bland and sparse. The main reason that this effort is commendable is because it's sweet and sugary, never trying to be something that it's not. Basically a caricature of a U2 album, ATYCLB is the sound of a band becoming elder statesmen, and that's almost always depressing. Expand
  5. Jun 7, 2013
    This is music. One of the best albums in history. Once you press the play button, you will not be able to stop it. If you have good taste, that is. It unleashes with breakthrough hit "Beautiful Day", a strong super-inspired track. A song that makes you feel. A song that touches. Just like "Walk On", the most deep song on the album. "Stuck In a Moment You Can't Get Out" and "Wild Honey"This is music. One of the best albums in history. Once you press the play button, you will not be able to stop it. If you have good taste, that is. It unleashes with breakthrough hit "Beautiful Day", a strong super-inspired track. A song that makes you feel. A song that touches. Just like "Walk On", the most deep song on the album. "Stuck In a Moment You Can't Get Out" and "Wild Honey" mark U2's best pop moment, with their "sweetness at all". "Elevation" is rock song of the album. It's moving and shaking. It's strong. "Kite" is just as deep and beautiful as "Beautiful Day" and "Walk On". "A Little While", a pretty romantic song. A song that only U2 could make. Actually, this album is an album that only U2 could make.

The album moves into a dark zone. A "night zone", if you will. "Peace On Earth" and "When I Look At the World" have some of Bono's best lyrics, together with "New York", that strong track at the end of the album. So it all ends with quiet and calm "Grace", a beautiful meltdown. A beautiful closure to a beautiful album. And that feeling of willing for more. Willing to replay the entire album.

This is U2's finest work. Their greatest moment musically. No one ever got close to music perfection as they did here.
  6. May 30, 2013
    Excelente Disco A 3 Obra Prima,Depois De The Joshua Tree E Achtung Baby.
    Top All That You Can't Leave Behind.
    1-Walk On
    2-Beautiful Day
    3-Kite
    4-Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of
    5-When I Look At The World
  7. Sep 28, 2012
    One song encapsulates this album in my opinion, the single 'Walk On', one of their greatest song, albeit a bit under appreciated. Great album, a bit unbalanced (the first 4 songs were some of their best works, the rest not so..). Not in the same level as 'Joshua Tree' or 'Achtung Baby' but still a classic rock album.
  8. Jun 15, 2012
    After a decade of experimentation and the poor reception received by their last record "Pop", there was definite pressure on U2 to make an impression with this record but they certainly thrived on it. The opening sequence of tracks 1-4 is, along with The Joshua Tree, as strong as you'll ever find anywhere. The album maintains the quality levels throughout with absolutely gems like "In aAfter a decade of experimentation and the poor reception received by their last record "Pop", there was definite pressure on U2 to make an impression with this record but they certainly thrived on it. The opening sequence of tracks 1-4 is, along with The Joshua Tree, as strong as you'll ever find anywhere. The album maintains the quality levels throughout with absolutely gems like "In a Little While" and "Wild Honey". The only disappointing song on this for me was "Peace on Earth" which is preachy and sappy and gives a reminder why so many people dislike Bono. One of U2's best records which at the time brought them back to centre stage and returned to them the status of biggest band in the world. Expand
  9. j30
    Jan 30, 2012
    All That You Can't Leave Behind is a timely album and important one. However it's hard to look away from the records short comings as a whole. Elevation and Wild Honey keeps the LP grounded from great status.
  10. Dec 16, 2011
    I grew up listening to this album. I cannot remember life before listening to any of these songs, and wish not to either. To those whom rate this with a zero, you have lost all respect from me.
  11. PaulT
    Jan 25, 2010
    A gorgeous, deeply inspiring collection of heartfelt music. U2 not only made a comeback with this album, they created a masterpiece that will lift your soul and break your heart. Bravo!
  12. nickn
    Mar 12, 2009
    The worst album in u2's career happens to be the best reviewed; then again magazines need to advertise big stories--if they don't kiss a little ass then what happens...? magazines and critics have been castrated by the advertisers and multi-billion dollar corporates.
  13. AristonB
    Oct 14, 2008
    It is better than the stuff what follows but worse than anything U2 did before. Never again Achtung Baby or The Joshua Tree. U2 should retire or eventually try one more time, but I think they are finished, especially Bono. Money ruins everything.
  14. scottw.
    Aug 19, 2007
    Every song on this album is fresh, vibrant and fool of life, and is done U2 style. One of U2s best and one of the best albums ever made. Its truly a pop rock album with lots of hits. Bono and the Edge show that they were fare from finished, in this big come back album for the band.
  15. KevF.
    May 22, 2007
    This album has on it 2 tracks that for me mark highlights of U2's uniquely spiritual/soulful/philosophical take on the world they inhabit with the rest of us. Beautiful Day is song of soaring hope, faith, and reaching for something better. 'Take me that other place', a refrain which gives guttural voice to the experience of longing and hoping that expresses our humanity. This album has on it 2 tracks that for me mark highlights of U2's uniquely spiritual/soulful/philosophical take on the world they inhabit with the rest of us. Beautiful Day is song of soaring hope, faith, and reaching for something better. 'Take me that other place', a refrain which gives guttural voice to the experience of longing and hoping that expresses our humanity. That other place means many things to many people, but the needing to get there is the same for us all. Kite is an opus of loss and departure. Edge incredibly captures and expresses the deepest of all human emotion in this song, the why, the oh no, the heartbreak and the dignity of our fragile existence. Just listen to what he plays throughout the track. It's as moving as anything I have ever heard. Especially when you consider the lyric, and the background to the track, uncertainty, fragility, and the loss of Bono's father. This for me is why U2 are universally appealing. In a belting stadium sounding way, they are able to uniquely in my opinion, capture, experience and reflect human emotion. All of their albums contain much of the above, but this album, next to How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb, represents this special band perfectly. Expand
  16. JonathanH
    Mar 9, 2007
    U2 can do better than this, POP was their last great album - it could of been even better had they not rushed it because of scheduling. How to dismantle an atomic bomb is even worse though. Can only hope for better things this year - please don't make it 2009!
  17. SmokefreeRodriguez
    Jan 7, 2007
    Some of the best songs of the last 10 years are on this CD--U2's best album since Joshua.
  18. MC
    Dec 30, 2006
    for those who voted this badly- inexplicable how you could vote this zero, i can only imagine its for a bit of worthless attention because even a deaf rabbit could understand this is not as bad as you struggle to make out. Admittedly not their greatest, but even their average is fantastic and this isn't average. catchy, inspirational, excellently written, well produced and bloody for those who voted this badly- inexplicable how you could vote this zero, i can only imagine its for a bit of worthless attention because even a deaf rabbit could understand this is not as bad as you struggle to make out. Admittedly not their greatest, but even their average is fantastic and this isn't average. catchy, inspirational, excellently written, well produced and bloody enjoyable. If you have ever heard some of these songs live you will understand their brilliance, u2 continue to produce great records. Expand
  19. JulianA
    Jul 28, 2006
    After a decade of performing for crowds of nearly one-hundred thousand people, U2 released "All That You Can't leave Behind" taking off the layers guitar and effects, and going back to their roots in the 1980's. The effect is a straightforward, graceful, and compelling album. Every song stands out, and the band has never played better.
  20. anthonya
    Mar 29, 2006
    a very solid collection of tunes in a simple back to basic style. Seems to be like an apology after years of wild experimentation. songs such as walk on and beautiful day, Kite, when i look at the world and in a little while are definite classics in their song book but awful lyrics in Peace on earth (where i grew up there weren't many trees, where was we tore them down to use them on a very solid collection of tunes in a simple back to basic style. Seems to be like an apology after years of wild experimentation. songs such as walk on and beautiful day, Kite, when i look at the world and in a little while are definite classics in their song book but awful lyrics in Peace on earth (where i grew up there weren't many trees, where was we tore them down to use them on our enemies) amongst other songs prevent this from being a great album. too many high and low. Expand
  21. RH
    Mar 22, 2006
    U2 stripped to the essentials. Not what everyone was expecting, but one of the most moving albums I've ever heard. In fact, it's still the best of the current decade.
  22. AlbertoM
    Aug 16, 2005
    By returning to their roots without loosing edge, they've crafted their best album since "Achtung Baby".
  23. JohnB
    Jun 4, 2005
    A good album, if not anywhere near as good as their best. Beautiful Day is one of their best songs, and there are many strong tracks here. it's just.... not as cohesive or strong as a full album as Achtung Baby, The Joshua Tree, or The Unforgettable Fire. Anyway, anyone else find it a bit weird that there was a slew of 0 grades (0, really?) all proclaiming U2 to be sellouts? Whether A good album, if not anywhere near as good as their best. Beautiful Day is one of their best songs, and there are many strong tracks here. it's just.... not as cohesive or strong as a full album as Achtung Baby, The Joshua Tree, or The Unforgettable Fire. Anyway, anyone else find it a bit weird that there was a slew of 0 grades (0, really?) all proclaiming U2 to be sellouts? Whether they're sellouts is debatable, I just find it suspect that so many 0 grades were handed out in a row, all using the same predictable complaint, and the typical "what I say is final, period" type of reasoning. Expand
    Apr 26, 2005
    The first half of this album would score a perfect 10 but once just past the halfway mark, it sounds more like U2 b-sides rather than album-quality material. Still, U2's b-sides are better than most bands' a-sides.
  25. ZackA
    Apr 2, 2005
    I thought it was timely and great!
  26. DaveM
    Mar 11, 2005
    an absolute classic!!
  27. LarryM
    Feb 24, 2005
    Someone told me U2 made this album. I cannot quite believe that. To me, U2 are those who made some of the best music of the 80s and the 90s. They were surely among the best musicians during those years. And now what? Is this the best that they can do? Aren't they ashamed of themselves? And what about you, U2 fans? I've been checking out some of the reviews here, and I sit in Someone told me U2 made this album. I cannot quite believe that. To me, U2 are those who made some of the best music of the 80s and the 90s. They were surely among the best musicians during those years. And now what? Is this the best that they can do? Aren't they ashamed of themselves? And what about you, U2 fans? I've been checking out some of the reviews here, and I sit in disbelief as I read lines like "back at their best", "beautiful album": what are you talking about? Can you compare this stuff to Achtung Baby or The Joshua Tree? Do you really believe this stuff is good? Maybe the one reviewer who seems to agree with me is right, you are trying to persuade yourself it is. Because it's not. Firstly, it's too commercial, and that's proved by the huge financial investment on videos, aimed to target those persons who form their music culture by watching MTV (the same ones who think Britney Spears and Ricky Martin are the best musicians around). Secondly, they lack ideas and inspiration, as shown by the fact that forgotten b-sides are suddenly resuscitated and thrown in a CD, Best-ofs and Remixes compilations are released as regularly as the yearly migration of seagulls, and new electronic music experiments are carried out with disappointing results. But, more importantly, the quality of their music has so clearly decreased, because songs like "Beautiful day" and "Elevation" do NOT have the "sound that made them one of the worlds biggest bands in the eighties", dear "music fan from Molesey, Surrey, UK", as you stated in your review (how can you say that 'Kite' is the 'One' or 'With Or Without You' of this collection, that is almost criminal). Who are the greatest artists of history? Those who retired at their peak. Those who realised that success and glory made them shine like stars, but also that, like stars, they were destined to die, so they decided to leave while they were still shining. Those who were never forgotten because they took such decision. But maybe Mr Bono is too busy trying to solve the world's problems by himself to understand that... Expand
  28. Henry
    Feb 24, 2005
    This album is their second worst ever. A plenty filler mainstream. Bono is getting worse and worse - In A Little While, When I Look At The World, Kite, Wild Honey - , the music is ordinary and thick, full of clichés and "classic" Edge guitars. My 14 years old brother can write a better tune than Wild Honey. The used production doesn't works, it makes the album even weaker. A This album is their second worst ever. A plenty filler mainstream. Bono is getting worse and worse - In A Little While, When I Look At The World, Kite, Wild Honey - , the music is ordinary and thick, full of clichés and "classic" Edge guitars. My 14 years old brother can write a better tune than Wild Honey. The used production doesn't works, it makes the album even weaker. A simplistic effort, quickie, pointless and dull. I bet you by 2010 yet people will be listening to 90's and 80's classics, but they will have forgot all that hyped stuff as Beautiful Day, Elevation, etc. "Back to our roots" do you know what does mean ? "we are lost, we don't know how to create something new this time, it's easier to copy ourselves, let's do it !!" Stuck In A Moment They Can't Get Out Of, as long as they have mindless fans who let them rest on their glory past, as they've doing since 2000 so far. Surely they'll always have those freaks ... Expand
  29. RichardC
    Feb 24, 2005
    A dumb sell out men in dark glasses screaming during all the video "Beautiful day"... as well all the other videos they've done since that one, including "Electrical Storm", "Vertigo", "All Because Of You", "Elevation", etc, etc. That's what All That You Can't Leave Behind is. Emtpyness, brand name, trademarks, commercials, action-movie previews, cash, cliche, media, A dumb sell out men in dark glasses screaming during all the video "Beautiful day"... as well all the other videos they've done since that one, including "Electrical Storm", "Vertigo", "All Because Of You", "Elevation", etc, etc. That's what All That You Can't Leave Behind is. Emtpyness, brand name, trademarks, commercials, action-movie previews, cash, cliche, media, expensive tickets, September 11th, etc... is exactly All that They Can't Leave Behind. Today I still can't believe they won more Grammies than "Joshua Tree", "Achtung Baby" or "Pop" with this undeniably crap. THE POWER OF IMAGE, THE POWER OF MONEY. That's the answer. U2 has so much power that every magazine, every radio, every TV channel must promote any lastest U2 crap as an outstanding event, as well every new album they release. Just go to Rolling Stone, Mojo, Time, etc. All media must be a part of the U2 game, they know that's good for their pockets. Fans aren't part of the game, indeed. Their wallets are that part of the game. U2 don't care whether you like or dislike this mainstream direction, they know they will sell as many album as they want. Despite How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb is getting the worst ever U2 rating here, just take a look to those men, they're happy, ready to tour again, no matter Bono's damaged voice, no matter Edge's limited creativity, no matter Adam and Larry's filler contributions, etc. U2 are the game, not their music. The same situation happened by 1966 with The Beatles ( unlike this sell out U2, The Beatles in those days were reaching their creativity peak 1966-1967 ). People attended to their concerts just because they were BEATLES IN CONCERT. The same situation will happen with this stupid Atomic Tour. It's time to do something new again, by stopping this mainstream fame. At least, that's what I do if I were U2. But they won't do it, they don't even want to do it, because they're afraid to take any risk. They prefer cash and silly fans whom buy any U2 stuff, because "It's U2 !!!!" If you were attended to their early concerts, you'd hate this sell out band, I bet you. Expand
  30. PamelaV
    Feb 24, 2005
    On ATYCLB I skip over Beautiful Day, Stuck in a Moment, Elevation, Walk On, Kite, In a Little While, Wild Honey, Peace on Earth, When I Look at the World, New York and Grace. Deal with it, it's their worst ever U2 crap. Period.
  31. ComfortablyNumb
    Feb 24, 2005
    U2 sold out by recording such hypocritical, capitalist, disposable, absolutely empty, easy, commercial, sobreexposed, liar and temporary crap. This is just poor dull stuff from a former great band. For the first time The band sounded tired, old, uncreative, lazy, the tunes have run out, the zest is gone. Even the packaging looked bland. LISTEN TO POP INSTEAND, AND AVOID THIS SOUNDTRACK U2 sold out by recording such hypocritical, capitalist, disposable, absolutely empty, easy, commercial, sobreexposed, liar and temporary crap. This is just poor dull stuff from a former great band. For the first time The band sounded tired, old, uncreative, lazy, the tunes have run out, the zest is gone. Even the packaging looked bland. LISTEN TO POP INSTEAND, AND AVOID THIS SOUNDTRACK FOR SISSIES Expand
  32. Rick
    Feb 24, 2005
    U2 enter the 2000, rocking and a rolling but with Bono's stupid long hair. Bono roars vocally through the opening song but the musical backing is unimaginative, to say the least. A power rock reasonably faced paced ballad, if that makes sense. But, without a single inventive guitar line, with absolutely nothing new and also without much of a pop edge, either. Beautiful day is U2 enter the 2000, rocking and a rolling but with Bono's stupid long hair. Bono roars vocally through the opening song but the musical backing is unimaginative, to say the least. A power rock reasonably faced paced ballad, if that makes sense. But, without a single inventive guitar line, with absolutely nothing new and also without much of a pop edge, either. Beautiful day is reasonably catchy, but Bono sounds raw. ATYCLB it's just so - commercial. So ordinary in it's commercial intent. They play it safe, everywhere. That's about it. This is a fairly unremarkable album, all told. It lacks direction, generally, there seems to be a general laziness surrounding the album. The lyrics are nothing at all, just mere words that mean nothing - just listen to Elevation - there aren't enough ideas in any of these 11 commercials. I say that. U2 can now be classified as a 'veteran' group Expand
  33. PhilM
    Feb 24, 2005
    I can't understand what people like about this disc. It has almost no redeeming qualities. If you're a U2 worshipper you will like this album, simply because you will force yourself to pretend it's good, even though any clear minded listener will know that the opposite is true. This is the most lame attempt at music ever done. Songs are just horrible, pointless, silly, I can't understand what people like about this disc. It has almost no redeeming qualities. If you're a U2 worshipper you will like this album, simply because you will force yourself to pretend it's good, even though any clear minded listener will know that the opposite is true. This is the most lame attempt at music ever done. Songs are just horrible, pointless, silly, superficial and commercial. For worse, Bono's vocal range isn't there anymore. It's absolutely painful to listen to Bono straining to hit the high notes; there's nothing artful about it. As much as I like U2, I wanted to like ATYCLB. But to me, ATYCLB is inescapably disappointing. This is total sellout time for U2. Expand
  34. ChrisC
    Feb 24, 2005
    U2 sold out with this corporate garbage. This dull album is just atrocious. This awful record deserves to be played for silly MTV and Grammy reunions. But if you try to sit down and devote the entirety of your attention to the songs, it's disgustingly clear how predictable and disposable the songs really are. It's just a collection of overused, unndderwarmed, midtempo U2 U2 sold out with this corporate garbage. This dull album is just atrocious. This awful record deserves to be played for silly MTV and Grammy reunions. But if you try to sit down and devote the entirety of your attention to the songs, it's disgustingly clear how predictable and disposable the songs really are. It's just a collection of overused, unndderwarmed, midtempo U2 cliches, nowhere near Unforgettable Fire or Joshua Tree. The long-awaited reunion was their worst ever comeback, and their most overhyped. They were 40 years old, but they tried hard to remain young by making the well-known singalongable mainstream anthems that the songs end up having no substance at all. Just disgustingly predictable happy chord sequences that you're supposed to smile and bang your fist at, but you're more likely to want to run and brush your teeth to get the stench of mediocrity out of your brain. Even the song titles are horrendous: 'Beautiful Day', 'Grace', 'Wild Honey', 'Peace On Earth', etc. Listen to those hideous choruses! Pure, unadulterated money grubbing. It was a real shame to saw them go out on such a low note. Everything in U2 since 2000 has been going steadily downhill. This album was just a pretty dirty way of conducting bussiness and shows a lack of respect to their loyal fans, who they obviously believe are a horde of silly persons who will believe anything. U2 sold out with this album. Case closed. Expand
  35. Daniel
    Most overrated album ever
  36. mariamaria
    Feb 8, 2005
    it sucks
  37. Andrew
    Jan 27, 2005
    This record contributes one classic song to the U2 canon: 'Beautiful Day'. Aside from that, it's a tentative album full of straightforward pop-rock songs with unimaginative arrangements and instrumentation. It's predictable, safe, radio-friendly, and generally uninspiring and uninspired. Still, judging by the sales it generated, this record did its job--winning back This record contributes one classic song to the U2 canon: 'Beautiful Day'. Aside from that, it's a tentative album full of straightforward pop-rock songs with unimaginative arrangements and instrumentation. It's predictable, safe, radio-friendly, and generally uninspiring and uninspired. Still, judging by the sales it generated, this record did its job--winning back all of the traditionalist fans that U2 lost by making daring-if-uneven records like 'Pop', 'Passengers', and 'Zooropa'--quite admirably. Recommended for U2 completists only. Expand
  38. WilliamS
    Sep 21, 2004
    Where is there diversity,this Album sounds and feels one-dimensional. beautiful Day may be their best song ever...
  39. Baconboy
    Jun 14, 2004
    Through all the good and bad comments about U2, I have weathered them all and still come to the conclusion that you won't find as much substance in a so-called "Pop band" as you will in U2. Who else can conceive of such ambiguous lyrics that are so wordly, but yet hit home in your heart if you let them in? They are the most uncovered band in the world for a reason, they are so unique Through all the good and bad comments about U2, I have weathered them all and still come to the conclusion that you won't find as much substance in a so-called "Pop band" as you will in U2. Who else can conceive of such ambiguous lyrics that are so wordly, but yet hit home in your heart if you let them in? They are the most uncovered band in the world for a reason, they are so unique it hurts. Expand
  40. MaryP.
    Jun 5, 2004
    I've been a huge U2 fan since the '80s, and I don't understand all this "U2 going back to their roots" hype with ATYCLB. Sure, it's a solid album with some nice melodies, but I've come to expect just a little more than that from U2. Even the most emotional moments, such as "Kite," don't get under my skin the way songs from War, The Unforgettable Fire, The I've been a huge U2 fan since the '80s, and I don't understand all this "U2 going back to their roots" hype with ATYCLB. Sure, it's a solid album with some nice melodies, but I've come to expect just a little more than that from U2. Even the most emotional moments, such as "Kite," don't get under my skin the way songs from War, The Unforgettable Fire, The Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby do. And the lyrics, for the most part, simply don't measure up to Bono's previous work. They almost ruin the otherwise fantastic "Elevation." My favorite tune here is probably "In A Little While." I have the feeling Bono always wanted to be a soul singer like Marvin Gaye or Otis Redding, and I'll be darned if he doesn't nearly pull it off on this track. Well, at any rate I'm glad the album was such a huge commercial success if for no other reason than it might get some younger people interested in U2 and hopefully inspire them to check out some of their earlier work. Expand
  41. mickeyP
    Dec 5, 2003
    U2 are STILL one of the greatest rock bands to ever emerge. This CD, as with all their others has the power to move it listeners. There are some uneducated people who will can only appreciate blunt music which pierces the eardrums. However U2 will continue to be one of the greatest bands this world has ever seen.
  42. mickeyP
    Dec 5, 2003
  43. BB
    Nov 7, 2003
    U2 is quite simply the best rock and roll band of all time. The rolling stones? Give me a beak. Maybe someday U2 will get the media attention they deserve. I am sick of hearing so much hype about the beatles and the rolling stones. U2, with there explosive popularity and awesome music making over the last 20 years, now deserves to be in the same class as those other bands. However, you U2 is quite simply the best rock and roll band of all time. The rolling stones? Give me a beak. Maybe someday U2 will get the media attention they deserve. I am sick of hearing so much hype about the beatles and the rolling stones. U2, with there explosive popularity and awesome music making over the last 20 years, now deserves to be in the same class as those other bands. However, you hardly here about them in the popular news media. The media must be run by 60 year old men. Expand
  44. WalterB
    Jan 2, 2003
    It's one of the best albums I've ever listened to. It has great songs: One of the best bands ever.
  45. AdamE
    Nov 25, 2002
    Definitely U2's best album. The songs are all beautiful, well written and melodic. An excellent album: Buy it now!
  46. DavidM.
    Jul 5, 2002
    Why pick at a really good album. Look at what's out there and then look at this album. In a time where back street and britney are #1 on the billboard, how can you say one bad thing about this album.
  47. MauriceG.
    Feb 24, 2002
    There's no band in the world, other than U2 that can make feel so many things at the same time. Like EVERY single record they put out, they NEVER sound the same, always innovating. U2 IS THE BEST BAND IN THE WORLD and they reaffirm it with every album, this one is no exception.
  48. Valentina
    Dec 5, 2001
    I haven't to say many words, only: it's MAGIC MUSIC
  49. Æ.
    Nov 20, 2001
    An overall dull and bland listen. You would fall asleep halfway through listening to this rubbish. U2 should have quit a long, LONG time ago.
  50. AngelaJ.
    Sep 10, 2001
    I absolutely love this cd! I like the fact that U2 has gone back to their basics. This album is chock full of strong and soulful songs that remind me of their beginnings in the 80's. Simple, yet strong lyrics and U2 is the best band ever!
  51. PeterF.
    Sep 4, 2001
    The Best Album I own!! It ROCKS!!! Back to their old stuff. I LOVE IT!!! Best Band Ever!!

1. Stepping outside of their natural environment ensured their longevity in the '90s, stepping back in seems to have given them a fresh boost. For all Zooropa and Pop's pushing of the envelope, limiting themselves to rock's core ingredients has given the band a new challenge. Certainly, not since The Joshua Tree have U2 sounded so like U2 but, with songs of this startling calibre, right now being U2 is no bad thing.
  2. All That You Can't Leave Behind is a rock record from a band that absorbed all the elastic experimentation, studio trickery, dance flirtations, and genre bending of Achtung, Zooropa, and Pop -- all they've shed is the irony. U2 also chooses not to delve as darkly personal as they did on Achtung or Zooropa, yet they also avoid the alienating archness of Pop, choosing to return to the generous spirit that flowed through their best '80s records.
  3. Despite the almost universal hyperbole that has greeted 'All That You Can't Leave Behind', this is no masterpiece. Certainly not by U2's stratospheric standards.