AM

• Release Date: Sep 10, 2013
8.5

Review this album

1. Jul 22, 2014
    After two records that raised questions among fans of the bands early hit singles, Sheffield's coolest foursome return with what is essentially a pop masterpiece.
    AM, which has been a massive hit, is the bands most instantly gratifying album and has more hit singles than anything else they've done. "Humbug" was a tough but rewarding nut to crack. "Suck it and See" was pleasant enough but the band seemed a bit unsure of itself for the first time. AM is the opposite of these two albums. It's almost as if Alex Turner taught about what the masses would be looking to listen to in 2013, wrote an album based on his predictions and subsequently hit the jackpot.

The bands sounds has almost completely moved from their very brit-rock sounding debut to a very much American sound, which shouldn't be a surprise as the band now spend lots time there. Despite its pop values AM has plenty of the Arctic Monkeys best traits - epic songs, layers of ridiculously catchy melodies and even if there not Turner's best, clever lyrics. AM is indie guitar music given an "urban" feel through the presence of falsetto's throughout the album. Pretty much everything about this album is good - the songs, production, sequencing, playing and innovation. One of those rare albums that just doesn't have a bad track on it. Definitely one of the albums of 2013
  2. Nov 25, 2013
    Since Humbug was dropped in 2009, Arctic Monkey' sound was never as it was like it was on their first two records. Since then, with Suck It & See and now AM, they've built on this psychedelic, 70's garage rock sound, & with this record they've officially mastered it. "Arabella" is a punchy track with Alex' clever wordplay, Sabbath like guitar riffs and a slick garage-y production. Also, aSince Humbug was dropped in 2009, Arctic Monkey' sound was never as it was like it was on their first two records. Since then, with Suck It & See and now AM, they've built on this psychedelic, 70's garage rock sound, & with this record they've officially mastered it. "Arabella" is a punchy track with Alex' clever wordplay, Sabbath like guitar riffs and a slick garage-y production. Also, a slight influence of hip-hop on this record.

All In All, AM might be their second or third best record so far, but it's also an album of Los Angeles rock at it's finest. B+
  3. Feb 20, 2014
    Arctic Monkeys have returned from what was unfortunately their least amazing album (Suck It And See) with a follow up that could just be their best album since Favorite Worst Nightmare, possibly even, Whatever People Say I Am That's What I'm Not. AM has a couple of slow, plodding moments, but only on two tracks, the rest is generally, overwhelmingly good.
  4. Jan 12, 2014
    Apart from a couple of tracks, this album has some of the most exciting rock music I've heard in a long time. Some very great guitar work in here. Not to mention the vocals and lyrics. I'm very glad to have heard this.
  5. Dec 20, 2013
    People are claiming that this is the best the band has been since their debut, and I definitely agree with that, even though I love all their albums. My expectations immediately shot to the ceiling with “Do I Wanna Know?”. It found the band in an entirely new place, riding this slick slow-burning groove with great guitar work & a new-found vibe that's, for lack of a less corny term,People are claiming that this is the best the band has been since their debut, and I definitely agree with that, even though I love all their albums. My expectations immediately shot to the ceiling with “Do I Wanna Know?”. It found the band in an entirely new place, riding this slick slow-burning groove with great guitar work & a new-found vibe that's, for lack of a less corny term, sexy. If I had to describe this album in one word, it would be 'cool'. Every aspect, from the guitar riffs to the grooves to the vocal delivery, has this attitude-filled charm to it that's just irresistible. It seems like this time around, Alex has basically embraced his coolness, rather than being somewhat tongue-in-cheek & ironic about it like he did on past albums, only emphasized by the rock-n-roll-badass style/image he's adopted lately. Of course this implies that AM has its own “sound” within the band's discography, but there are still comparisons to past albums to be made. For example the songs that fit this style I'm talking about the most sound to me like what would happen if Humbug walked into a smokey bar full of greasers in the 50's. Then the first 2 albums follow him in & we get “R U Mine?” & “I Want It All”, a pair of raw infectious riff-rockers. But there are also moments that are entirely new territory, like downbeat ballads “No. 1 Party Anthem” & “Mad Sounds”. Some new instrumental & compositional ground are covered too, like in the acoustic guitars & busy tom-heavy drumming on “Fireside”, or the on-beat piano chords in “Snap Out of It”. I was partially afraid going in that this album would be nice to listen to but kinda blend from track to track without much changing up, but thanks to songs like these it never gets dull for me.

The lyrics on this album are worth noting too, though not quite as much. At first it just kinda sounded like run-of-the-mill breakup lyrics. But then I started to pick up a vague storyline, which followed the fallout of a messy relationship in the first third, then the narrator slipping into sadness about it while listening to music at the bar in the second third, then him drunkenly attempting to get the girl back through phone calls in the last third. Maybe I'm reading into it too much but that's my interpretation. There are 2 things about this that interested me. First, I love that despite AM's smooth feel musically/sonically, Alex (the main songwriter) didn't try desperately to match that in his lyrics through sex talk, which was another minor worry I had going in. And it says a lot that he's able to still come off likeable in the last third, where he plays the pathetically bitter & jealous ex, is really to be attributed to how extremely well-written & chock full of great imagery the lyrics are. As for any gripes, there are really only 2 I can think of. The more nitpicky one is that the guitar part in the chorus of “Arabella” is almost an exact copy of Bad Company's “Feel Like Makin Love”, and that can get a bit distracting to me. But the bigger one is that the last track “I Wanna Be Yours” just kind of annoys me. It's fine musically as a closer be the lyrics consist of awful pickup lines that feel like leftovers from Weird Al's “Wanna B Ur Lovr” that were rejected for barely not being so-bad-it's-good enough.

Overall, I really loved AM. I'm curious to see where Arctic Monkeys will go sound-wise for their next album. And when you've got people already thinking about that positively, you gotta be doing something right.

Top 5 tracks: Do I Wanna Know?, Why'd You Only Call Me When You're High?, R U Mine?, Snap Out of It, I Want It All
    Score: 86/100
    (Longer review can be found on my Facebook page "That Non-Elitist Music Fan".)
  6. Jan 3, 2015
    In AM, the band has finally found a perfect balance between crude and suffered melodrama and high rocky moments to cheer up and tear down in equal (and strategic) positions. But what makes this album their best is the elegance, artistry and maturity in developing and expressing feelings, through complex and yet easy and catchy structures and simple melodies. This is not only a return toIn AM, the band has finally found a perfect balance between crude and suffered melodrama and high rocky moments to cheer up and tear down in equal (and strategic) positions. But what makes this album their best is the elegance, artistry and maturity in developing and expressing feelings, through complex and yet easy and catchy structures and simple melodies. This is not only a return to the old Monkeys; it's a consecration. Expand
  7. Sep 10, 2013
    Arctic Monkeys have definitely taken a turn with this release and with the wild success of singles 'R U Mine' and 'Don't You Wanna Know', high expectations were held for AM. Unfortunatley the rest of the album does not live up to the two leading singles. Twelve dark tales of desire and yearning, AM is a sleezy night out with the boys, where they sing about hooking up and closing more thanArctic Monkeys have definitely taken a turn with this release and with the wild success of singles 'R U Mine' and 'Don't You Wanna Know', high expectations were held for AM. Unfortunatley the rest of the album does not live up to the two leading singles. Twelve dark tales of desire and yearning, AM is a sleezy night out with the boys, where they sing about hooking up and closing more than they actually do in real life. Turner's lyrics are, as always, superb. They swap full on lead rock for heavy riffs and sick basslines. But something about it feels unfinished. With only half the songs being masterpieces, this is no 'Suck It And See'. But it's listenable and contains some fine, fine singles. At least two fine, fine singles. Keen to see where they go after here, but don't predict wild success with this album. Expand
  8. Sep 3, 2016
    9.0
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
  9. Nov 26, 2013
    These guys really are Alex Turner put to is simply one of the best albums of the decade and for me there was no better release that ''AM'' in 2013. Arctic Monkeys since its debut, when they were still young and had the appearance of a garage band, only been evolving positively, this album now, until we see influences from genres of black music built, worth listening every minute of thisThese guys really are Alex Turner put to is simply one of the best albums of the decade and for me there was no better release that ''AM'' in 2013. Arctic Monkeys since its debut, when they were still young and had the appearance of a garage band, only been evolving positively, this album now, until we see influences from genres of black music built, worth listening every minute of this album. Recommend! Expand
  10. Aug 27, 2014
    lolololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololo
  11. Sep 14, 2013
    Arctic Monkey's latest effort has taken a turn in their rock style. While having heavy dance music like beats throughout most of this album, accompanied by some tight guitar playing, this record is definitely their most cohesive work since their debut. Definitely going to be one of my favourites this year.
  12. Jun 12, 2014
    An amazing blend of rock, psychedelic rock, and alternative. AM stuns listeners with it's slow paced songs and the classic feel to it. It is without a question tracks like "Do I Wanna Know" and "R U Mine" help carry AM to becoming arguably one of the best rock albums in the least 20 years.
  13. Nov 11, 2013
    Love this CD it is actually difficult, in my view, to discover a unique, hot, rock cd these days, although this one delivers in my view it is sensual and tough and hot, and I love it!
  14. Sep 9, 2014
    First: It isn't the best Arctic Monkeys album, this comes from a person that is a faithful fan of Whatever People....

Second: It is better than the last album, Suck it and See doesn't have all the fruitful elements that AM does, but maybe Humbug does have a level with this one. Third: It is overall a great album. Arctic Monkeys are at their peak, they are the biggest rock band in the

Third: It is overall a great album. Arctic Monkeys are at their peak, they are the biggest rock band in the world and they know it, and know how to assert.

AM is the result of an Alex Turner that writes like never before, semi-drug-influenced, but still with his distinctive style. The music is far from what, for example, Favourite Worst Nightmare could offer, with a more rocker mood and a strange but seductive combination of the last too albums. It still Arctic Monkeys and despite some flaws especially in the more low-tempo songs, it still a recommended rock album.
  15. Sep 14, 2013
    Some very catchy tunes, but a lack of hooks. After track 5 the album gets bogged down in it's 60s revivalism and becomes self-indulgent. It's still good music, but just not quite as good as I would have liked.
  16. Sep 17, 2013
    Initially, I gave the album a 6, then after some more listens, an 8. Now I've got it bumped up to a 9. The album is simply fantastic and gets better with every listen. Every song makes me either want to dance or f*** or both. It's sexy and shows mastery for a band that is so young yet continues to churn out quality at a rate that is reminiscent of artists of the 70s and 80s.
  17. Nov 16, 2013
    This is a very interesting album for me. I loved the R&B influence combined with the indie rock in this album especially in "Do I Wanna Know" which the guitar riff remained in my head for weeks on weeks... Overall, I loved the album but I do understand that their previous audience may have been lost because this is such a change in sound where it is a bit softer and safer than theirThis is a very interesting album for me. I loved the R&B influence combined with the indie rock in this album especially in "Do I Wanna Know" which the guitar riff remained in my head for weeks on weeks... Overall, I loved the album but I do understand that their previous audience may have been lost because this is such a change in sound where it is a bit softer and safer than their previous records. Expand
  18. Oct 23, 2013
    With this loss of rough, dirty hooks and punk attributes, the Monkeys have crafted something else with a very experimental blend of neo psychedelic, blues rock and garage rock mixed with hip-hop beats, the new Monkeys' sound becomes something, not reminiscent of their old selves but still quite interesting. Although AM did have very bright spots and sweet catchy, hook driven tunes, thereWith this loss of rough, dirty hooks and punk attributes, the Monkeys have crafted something else with a very experimental blend of neo psychedelic, blues rock and garage rock mixed with hip-hop beats, the new Monkeys' sound becomes something, not reminiscent of their old selves but still quite interesting. Although AM did have very bright spots and sweet catchy, hook driven tunes, there is still something missing from the Monkeys' sound evident from the tame, soft and translucent weak tracks. The Monkeys need to revisit the past artistically and stylistically if they want to keep their fans interested in order to progress into their own musical future, one where they're still "the young Northern England clubbers" that we all know and love. Snap Out Of It guys.

Follow @PRTYNTGRVS for more music reviews!
  19. Feb 15, 2014
    http://bit.ly/M276AL I never thought the Monkey's could top Suck It And See but they have done a lot more than that on AM. The talent of these four lads is on show on this record. Though what makes AM such an amazing record is how the outstanding songwriting uses this talent so well. I honestly can't wait to see where this band goes next.
  20. Apr 17, 2014
    This album leaves me speechless, which is itself big deal. I lack words for describing it. At least adequate ones. So I am left with stream of consciousness.

Mind blowing. All possible synonyms of amazing. Crazy. Subtle. Lobotomic. Evasive. Oscuro. Old-soul. Coherent. Wit. Sparkle. Sarcastic. Love. Sex. Nevertheless love. Hard. Low. Sultry. Drunk. Sleepy. Scary. Depressive. Ecstatic. Full of smoke. On fire. Insomnia. Exhilarated. Vodka with rocks. Masochistic. Kick in the gut.

It's name is very well chosen. (When the zeros line up on the 24 hour clock Knee Socks) It feels exactly like coming home in 5 am. After one long, long sleepless night. Driving on a empty bus. When you are not jet completely sober, but all comes back to you. (The nights were mainly made for saying things that you can't say tomorrow day Do I Wanna Know?) And than even more. When you are exhausted from alcohol, but Sun rising doesn't allow you to sleep. That are our brightest moments. A-ha ones. When you realize that you still love that idiot, even though that leads you nowhere. When you realize that relationship you are in has date of expiry. (It's not like I'm falling in love I just want you to do me no good No.1 Party Anthem) When you realize he has moved on, and you haven't. When you realize that real relationship is not based on love itself or sex, rather that love and sex are based on something other. You just have to figure out what. This is an album that kept that quest essence of my generation.
  21. Oct 13, 2015
    fgggggggggggggggggggfgggggggggggggggggggfgggggggggggggggggggfgggggggggggggggggggfgggggggggggggggggggfgggggggggggggggggggfgggggggggggggggggggfgggggggggggggggggggfgggggggggggggggggggfgggggggggggggggggggfgggggggggggggggggggfgggggggggggggggggggfgggggggggggggggggggfgggggggggggggggggggfgggggggggggggggggggfgggggggggggggggggggfgggggggggggggggggggfgggggggggggggggggggfgggggggggggggggggggfgggggggggggfgggggggggggggggggggfgggggggggggggggggggfgggggggggggggggggggfgggggggggggggggggggfgggggggggggggggggggfgggggggggggggggggggfgggggggggggggggggggfgggggggggggggggggggfgggggggggggggggggggfgggggggggggggggggggfgggggggggggggggggggfgggggggggggggggggggfgggggggggggggggggggfgggggggggggggggggggfgggggggggggggggggggfgggggggggggggggggggfgggggggggggggggggggfgggggggggggggggggggfgggggggggggggggggggfgggggggggggggggggggfggggggggggggggggggg Expand
  22. Apr 7, 2015
    Palmas ao Arctic Monkeys por trazer uma nova sonoridade á este novo álbum, oque atrapalha é que o AM é o meu medo de que a imagem de rock bad boy, com o vocalista extremamente sexualizado se torne algo que extrapole o limite, oque vem acontecendo desde Suck It And See, mas a reviravolta é extremamente bem vinda (em relação á sonoridade).
  23. Sep 17, 2016
    Despite being my third favourite Arctic Monkeys album, AM is the one that changed my life forever.
    As a kid, my older brother and dad played "Whatever People Say I Am..." and "Favourite Worst Nightmare" around the house a lot. I liked the songs a lot. A couple of years later, "Humbug" was released, of which I heard only one track played around the house: "Crying Lightning". The year after "Humbug", I took up guitar. A year after that, "Suck It And See" came out, but I didn't pay too much attention to it, despite liking the tracks. I quit guitar for a while, but then came Glastonbury 2013. That performance changed my life completely. Three years later, I still think of it as one of the best live performances I've ever seen. I quickly took it upon myself to listen to every Arctic Monkeys song ever to feature on an album in the months leading up to AM. On September 10 2013, I fell in love for the first time. This album is fantastic. Absolutely fantastic.
    I apologise for my life story.
    Best tracks: The first 4, No. 1 Party Anthem, Why'd You Only Call Me When You're High, Knee Socks and I Wanna Be Yours are the best.
    Worst tracks: Only Mad Sounds falls ever so slightly behind, but I still absolutely love it.
    If for some reason you want to know what happened after the release of AM, keep reading.
    So, I picked the guitar back up, and now I am constantly told how brilliant I am for my age.
    I got really into music and decided it was what I wanted to do.
    And I mean I got REALLY into music.
  24. Jul 15, 2014
    The Arctic Monkeys continue to dip their spoon in a cup of nostalgia, but that’s not necessarily a bad thing. The sounds here are more controlled than previous efforts, very controlled in fact. The hooks catchy, Not jumpy, no rough spots. AM is a smooth experience and it’s a good time nevertheless.
  25. Sep 9, 2016
    This is a fantastic record, and I thought a completely unexpected twist for the band. They took the rock sound from the last couple of albums, knocked it up a notch in a few songs (Do I Wanna Know and R U Mine of course), added some catchy falsetto chanting and sprinkled in some interesting older influences. The vocals seriously comes into its own on this album, I realised how fantasticThis is a fantastic record, and I thought a completely unexpected twist for the band. They took the rock sound from the last couple of albums, knocked it up a notch in a few songs (Do I Wanna Know and R U Mine of course), added some catchy falsetto chanting and sprinkled in some interesting older influences. The vocals seriously comes into its own on this album, I realised how fantastic the style and lyricism have become in this record. Expand
  26. Jan 16, 2014
    I wouldn't say this is their best work, as the NME said, but some songs really stand out (while others, namely I Want It All, are just horrendous) and Alex Turner changes voice and looks again to go along the Monkeys' new style - more glamourous, sexier and more "mature", whatever than means.

You need two or three listens to get it in your system, then it's very good. Especially, listen to "No. 1 Party Anthem" about stripclubs, and "Knee Socks" with Josh Homme, who is so much better on other people's records than on his own.
  27. Mar 19, 2014
    Simmer down and Pucker up! This album is overly hard hitting and will definitely be a staple for many years in the indie genre. Not their best work but will pass as a filler for what maybe could be a new release to innovate a little more on an already amazing discography. Well done Blokes!
  28. Sep 7, 2014
    I heard of Arctic Monkeys a few months ago by a couple of friends who love their music. I wasn’t really interested to listen to this album at that time but as my music taste have been expanded over the summer, I gained interest into listening to Arctic Monkeys. It’s no wonder why this album has won so many awards including the BRIT Award for Best British Album of the Year as well asI heard of Arctic Monkeys a few months ago by a couple of friends who love their music. I wasn’t really interested to listen to this album at that time but as my music taste have been expanded over the summer, I gained interest into listening to Arctic Monkeys. It’s no wonder why this album has won so many awards including the BRIT Award for Best British Album of the Year as well as gaining more fans for the band which includes myself after listening to this album.

The best part of this album was the sound. I feel like a totally different person during the entire album. I feel like a cool person with a cigarette in my mouth (though I don’t encourage smoking) in a gig with a lot of people in the crowd and I blend in very well. I never expected to like this kind of sound considering I am quite a pop person myself.

The lyrics fits the sound of the album. Sure, the themes are not thought-provoking but I like the themes here which is about partying, a hot girl,etc., without them going through the cliches of exploring those kinds of themes.

The vocals from Alex Turner were great. He has the voice for a great rock band. He has that voice I want to hear from a rock song.

I sense that during production, Arctic Monkeys must have been experimenting some new stuff for this album and I like it when artists experiment. This makes me want to hear their previous albums which I will soon considering their sound was way different when they released their debut album.

I never expected that I would like all the songs from this album. This is quite rare so that means I really really really like this album.

If you’re wondering why Arctic Monkeys are considered the best band of their generation by some music critics, check this album out. Who knows? You might end up being a fan just like me.
  29. May 11, 2017
    When AM first released it was a nationwide phenomena. Arctic Monkey season was in full swing and you could barely move without being bombarded by hype. Over three and a half years later the album seems less excitable than it once was, its glossy sheen seeming to wear away a little as time accumulates.

As a collection of tracks, AM is very good. It has a confident and deliberate

As a collection of tracks, AM is very good. It has a confident and deliberate aesthetic that it sticks true to throughout, flowing nicely between songs and moods to deliver a complete collection that feels whole and realised. The opener, 'Do I Wanna Know', is an extremely strong beginning track that feels dark and moody, its stomping bass line carrying it for the duration of its four minutes as it slowly builds to a theatrical, explosive conclusion. The fast pace of 'R U Mine' is compelling also, followed by 'One For The Road' which makes obvious its hip-hop inspirations.

The mood softens by the mid-way mark, with 'Number One Party Anthem' and 'Mad Sounds' bringing the party down a little, only for it to resurface later with 'Why Do You Only Call Me When You're High' and 'Fireside'. This loose narrative feels natural, the change up of pace a welcome addition, and prevents it all from feeling overwhelming.

'AM' as an album is strong, but lacks a certain charm that the Arctic Monkey's have revelled in on previous works. As the distance between the present and its initial release widens, this feels ever more-so. 'Arabella' taking more than its fair share of influence from 'War Pigs' by Black Sabbath, 'I Want It All' feels uninspired and distinctively filler, and the sound can sometimes seem a little too well blended, with some songs feeling very similar. The rapid pace, originality and distinctive British charm of the bands first two albums is hard to come by here, for better or worse, and makes AM feel a far away project from the bands roots.
  30. Sep 10, 2013

1. Q Magazine
    Jan 27, 2014
    AM continues a pattern, then: every couple of years, the Monkeys make a great album, sounding tighter and more telepathic with each release. [Oct 2013, p.97]
  2. Oct 4, 2013
    AM's a heavy seduction, restless and all the better for it.
    In the end AM not only signifies a career-defining moment that neatly places the band on a proper pedestal for all to admire--this is where not only Arctic Monkeys have come but in many ways, how they’ve masterfully conquered and continue to simply win.