Babel - Mumford & Sons
6.7

Review this album

1. Sep 27, 2012
    This is such a refreshing album! After hearing some of the complaints of this album it's like people didn't know what to expect from this band! They are a folk-rock band, why are people surprised that they released an album that has drawn so much reference and style from other folk bands! It is a mixture of powerful and heavy set songs that make you want to just move, and some amazingly heartfelt ballads. It is not quite the perfect album that "Sigh No More" was but it I would happily listen to this over the mediocrity of modern music, the senseless and endless drones that you hear on the radio (Guetta, Skrillex, Rita Ora et al)

Each song has a different meaning to the last and as a complete album the deluxe version is simply beautiful!
  2. Sep 25, 2012
    They've taken what made them unique and good before, and polished it to such a fine sheen that you can hear your own soul in their music. This is the best thing that's happened to the modern music scene in quite a while. I wasn't a fan of their earlier music, even though I liked it somewhat, but I just can't get over this album. Lyrically profound, dynamically perfect and played with such energy and conviction you just can't help wanting to sing along.

Best taken with long drives in the countryside, sitting at the seaside or looking out on nature.
  3. Sep 25, 2012
    Mumford & Sons are back and better than ever! This is an excellent sophomore album from this wonderful back band from England. It is better than Sigh No More? Probably not better, but just as good. I am currently on my 5th listen and I absolutely love it.
  4. Sep 25, 2012
    Is it anything new? Not really. But did they perfect the old? Hell yes! It is everything I have come to love from Mumford and Sons, and maybe a little more. One day they will need to change it up, but not today.
  5. Sep 25, 2012
    Screw the critics. Just like last time, they are wrong about Mumford and Sons, this album is amazing. It's unapologetically hipsterific, and I love it. If you don't like Pabst Blue Label, or don't have horn rimmed glasses, this album is not for you.
  6. Sep 25, 2012
    As an almost 60-year old dad of 5 very music-centric kids, and a former musician and producer myself, I hear tons of
  7. Sep 27, 2012
    From end to end this album is filled with emotion and nonstop thrills. I fined the criticism that Mumford repeats the same sound over and over as completely ridiculous. From the first track, Babel, to the last, Not with Haste, the sounds evolve, change, and end with a completely satisfied idea. The variation really shows the maturation of this band and the flawless execution of this album should leave everyone excited for not only the things to come, but the fact that we a witnessing a very special band. Expand
  8. Sep 29, 2012
    This album is definitely more polished than the first. Babel stands up well to Sigh No More with no less than 8 great tracks. "Lovers' Eyes" and "Hopeless Wanderer" being good enough to rival "The Cave" and "Little Lion Man". Pick up this album and you won't be disappointed!
  9. Sep 26, 2012
    I'm surprised that this isn't getting better ratings by both critics and users...overall, the album plays MUCH better than "Sigh No More." I understand it doesn't have tracks like "Sign No More", "The Cave" or "Little Lion Man," but it also doesn't have songs that are skip worthy (such as "Dustbowl Dance"). On top of that, "Below My Feet" may be one of their best tracks yet. Yeah, it all kind of sounds the same but that's the Mumford we've come to know and love, there are a few new elements to make this a great album. Expand
  10. Oct 10, 2012
    Excellent album! Thought it would be hard to top their breakout album Sigh No More but this one comes real close. Amazing sophmore release. I haven't stopped listening to it since I received it two weeks ago. Solid from beginning to end. Noteworthy tracks include "I Will Wait," "Holland Road," "Hopeless Wanderer," "Broken Crown," and For Those Below." If you enjoyed Sigh No More go get this album! Collapse
  11. Nov 5, 2012
    DaGuruDette knows little about the sheer brilliance of music. The songs a catchy with heartfelt feeling and the lyrics sublime. This is /Mumford & Sons at their very best. Sigh No More was the intro. This is the main story.
  12. Oct 26, 2012
    Huge mumford and sons fan! I give it a nine, I would give it a ten but it seems to be lacking in some songs. Lyrics are great because they actually mean something. Those that judge it based on lyrics because they like rappers and other, in my mind, music with no meaning just talking about smoking and drinking should probably not even review a band like mumford and sons because it is a totally different form of musical quality and meaning. Not upset at all with this album but I can see why some people are, maybe mumford and sons isn't for you. But to me its relaxing and refreshing and has a powerful lyrics, don't expect anything different from a full hearted band like mumford and sons. One word, Amazing! Expand
  13. Nov 29, 2012
    It's kind of British country music, and the band made it so popular. The instruments and the rugged voice goes in harmony, it cheers me up, just love it.
  14. Mar 26, 2013
    If it's possible to be better than perfect, then this certainly is as it's better than Sigh No More. Influences from touring rub off on the album whilst brilliantly complimenting their unique style, the lyrics are uncompareable and the overall feel of the album is magnificent. Don't fix what aint broken.
  15. Jun 6, 2013
    Mumford continues to reunite society with a lost sound of music. Instead of the annoying and irritating hip hop and pop, and artists such as Lil Wayne and Maroon 5. Mumford and Sons bring folk music storming back with one of the best albums in the 2010's
  16. Sep 21, 2013
    Firstly it has to be said that it's a less "organic" sounding album. It's much more produced. Now if you don't like that, you obviously will think less of this than of "Sigh No More" which is the general opinion.
    That said, I disagree completely. It's a better album than "Sigh No More".

It's easy to pass to this off as "all sounding the same", which of course you'll see in a lot of
    reviews. But that's an overstatement, oversimplified even. For one, you'll find than in most bands people tend to play the same instruments.. I know, shocker -we'll just ignore Mumford & Sons multi-instrumentalist members for a moment. But most of all most songs aren't even all that similar to one another. You can take one song and compare to another, maybe 2. And so on. But that can be done with every album. It's what comes with playing in a certain style.

There's a lot of build-ups, yes -I'll refer to them as "Big Climaxes". Build-ups being a very key factors of music, I'm surprised so people find it negative. They're well done & well produced. They sound great! How can you not love the moment where Below My Feet breaks open, fully anthemic!

I Will Wait & Holland Road are probably the most (actually/genuinely) similar songs on the album -pretty much like Little Lion Man & White Black Page we're on "Sigh No More". Both move towards that "Big Climax". Both are very warm sounding songs.. and both are 2 very good songs! Holland Road being the better in my opinion.
    Babel can be added those the other to as being very similar, but I'm not a big fan of Babel; the song.

Ghosts That We Knew is more subdued song, and pretty one at that. It's very gentle & only gets marginally bigger as the song progresses. It's not as soft & sweet Reminder, one of the highlights of the album, though.

Now Whispers in the Dark, Lover of the Light & Lover's Eyes can pretty much be paired together. All 3 are pretty bright songs. They're not my favorites, but good songs not the less.

Hopeless Wanderer & Broken Crown are two of the darker songs (compare them to I Gave You All and Thistle & Weeds) and are 2 of the best songs on the album. Broken Crown is some of the best songwriting on the album -maybe THE best- despite the misfire that is "I f*cked it all away". Hopeless Wanderer starts with a piano part that has a sense of yearning, which makes up the verse, with some added accompaniment. The chorus goes into full on acoustic rock & a rhythm change that tends to catch you off guard. This ones "Big Climax" does not sound as warm & open as other songs on the record though. It sounds more shrill & edgy.

Below My Feet is the "Arena Anthem". It's a favorite of mine.

Not With Haste is a slower song, comparable to Ghosts That We Knew in that aspect.. but different. Yearning rather than nostalgic & soaring rather than subdued, but never the point of the "Big Climax". Far from it.
    The same can be said about For Those Below -it being slower. It has a very different melodic-style than anything else Mumford & Sons. It's probably my least favorite song on the (Deluxe Edition) album though.

The cover of The Boxer is a very good one. Collaborating with Paul Simon himself & Jerry Douglas, a resonator & pedal steel-guitarist. It's as said a very good cover, great production, great harmonies & some great leads of Jerry Douglas.

Where Are You Now. Another slowed down song, most akin to Ghosts That We Knew. It never gets big, with very subdued strumming & warm sounding guitar(s). It's lamenting & it's beautiful. A great song to end the (Deluxe Edition) album.

In the end (of this long review), I'll can only repeat. It's sound is more(/better) produced, rather than the more organic sound of "Sigh No More". But it genuinely is a better album. It's bigger, warmer, it has the a festival vibe, just like "Sigh No More" had.. And there's really no better album to listen to on nice sunny days. The feel is perfect for that.
  17. Apr 4, 2014
    this has nothing to do with the album . there song i will wait is amazing, thats all i half to say . GradeA++++++++++++++ . best country band ever ......................

1. Oct 17, 2012
    Babel is the more subtle and accomplished album. [No. 92, p.56]
  2. Oct 10, 2012
    For those who never liked That Guy Who Plays Acoustic Guitar At The Party, Babel's gonna sound like the dentist's drill. For others, this still may be the point at which you put down your makeshift tambourine, get up from the half-circle and find a better room in the party house.
  3. Oct 4, 2012
    It's certainly not a departure from the band's debut, but rather a continuation.