• Record Label: Jive
6.9

Review this album

1. saraq
    Oct 25, 2002
    I don't know who u critics think u r saying these things about j l h. This album is so incredible and has helped me through some of my totally hard struggles. Her lyrics are so honest and straight forward that even I can understand them.
  2. ResidentofTartarus
    Nov 20, 2002
    Way better than Christina's Stripped. No filler tracks. Simple and elegant. It's really an alternative to the common pop crap in the radio these days.
  3. NickV
    May 27, 2006
    How can anyone not like this album? OK, around the middle, the songs tend to sound the same. But if you extract each one out of its context (this album), you have a good song each time. Of those middle selections "Rock the Roll" is excellent. Arrangements are outstanding, with a tasty touch of timely rap. (And I don't even like rap!) The album starts off with what should have been 2 How can anyone not like this album? OK, around the middle, the songs tend to sound the same. But if you extract each one out of its context (this album), you have a good song each time. Of those middle selections "Rock the Roll" is excellent. Arrangements are outstanding, with a tasty touch of timely rap. (And I don't even like rap!) The album starts off with what should have been 2 rather powerful hit singles. (No song here hit the Billboard Hot 100). Then you have the ever beautiful "You", which shows that Jennifer has versatility in her singing, and can pull off any style or genre with equal effectiveness. Let's get this straight right now - THIS GIRL CAN SING! She has a God-given talent no doubt, and it's so obvious by listening to her albums that she works hard on it. She doesn't dog it at anytime. She gives it her all in each song! Now to the end of the album. "Avenue of the Stars" is one of the most brilliant, most outstanding songs I've ever heard in my life. Fantastic (and complicated) melody, going off in different directions yet all working so incredibly well synergistically. This should have been a hit, and go to #1 and stay there for 20 weeks! POWERFUL song! Can't get tired of it. The album ends with our lovely JLH paying tribute to one of her all-time favorite singers Janis Joplin. Janis herself had taken this Kris Kristofferson penned classic to #1 in 1971. Sadly it was a posthumous hit for her. Jennifer's interpretation of this classic takes a different direction yet stays loyal to the original hit version. She even does a brief Janis impression at the end of the song where theres laughter from her & the people there watching this performance. In fact, the laughter that you hear her do at the end of each of the last two songs are alone worth the money for this CD. To sum it all up, there is nothing but 'heart', passion, & dedication in this album. Jennifer Love Hewitt, thank you for this great album. This album should be in everybody's collection! Expand
  4. PatrickH
    Nov 4, 2002
    Very honest, heartfelt effort which doesn`t deserve the intense criticism. She has a better voice than most artists, and is a much better role model for our youth. maybe she could die her hair and wear trashy outfits...NOT!!!
  5. LeoP.
    Oct 21, 2002
    People are stupid. They can't see what's good and not. Barenaked is good. Really.
  6. Marc
    Dec 5, 2002
    The profesional music reviewers apparently don't know great music when they here it this is one of my all time favourite albums and has been in either my car Cd player or my stereo at home ever since I bought it!
  7. clarec
    Mar 14, 2003
    u go girl this cd roks!!!
  8. KrisP
    Feb 27, 2005
    I remember before buying Jennifer's album I listened to the first single "Barenaked" a few times before buying and felt like, "you know, this has great promise to it. I have a hunch that if this single's that good then when the album comes out I'll be in for a treat." The single didn't steer me wrong. This a good, solid, complete album. When I say complete I mean that I remember before buying Jennifer's album I listened to the first single "Barenaked" a few times before buying and felt like, "you know, this has great promise to it. I have a hunch that if this single's that good then when the album comes out I'll be in for a treat." The single didn't steer me wrong. This a good, solid, complete album. When I say complete I mean that every song is a good song that's fun to listen to and if were released as a single would likely be a hit. I love this album. I listen to it often and enjoy it every time I do. This is a CD I'm always going to treasure in my collection. I just wish more people would give it a chance. There's my two cents. Great album! Expand
  9. johng
    Mar 23, 2005
    This is good relaxing music to listen to and tap your feet
  10. emmac
    Nov 2, 2002
    i think its a good way to express something so i love bare naked. and to the anonymous i think its great
  11. VOGA
    Dec 10, 2002
    This album is actually pretty decent. She has a pretty voice and should continue her music career.
  12. martin
    Dec 18, 2002
    well wow,man she has a mad voice!
  13. JeremyC
    Dec 29, 2002
    This album is much better than her past album like "Lets Go Bang!" She has matured to a great singer. Although her vocal range is not like Mariah Carey and Whitney Houston this record is extremely well for her! Her songs are very teen like, with songs like "You", "Can I Go Now" are very helpful to teens 13-20. I recomend this album to anynone who likes the accoustic guitar and pop combined.
  14. HeidiW.
    Oct 26, 2002
    I think it's great
  15. MattM
    Nov 11, 2002
    I am not a fan of Jennifer Love Hewitt the Actress, but "BareNaked" is a stellar pop record. It's certainly not as shallow as the critics are making it out to be. No pretensions whatsoever; just good, solid pop/rock. Hewitt's voice is strong and emotive. Don't listen to the negativity that surrounds this album. "BareNaked" is great!
  16. RickR
    Nov 21, 2002
    Her voice surpasses her amazing good looks. I am huge fan of J L H. Her songs scream girl power as do I(scream bare naked).
  17. Oct 14, 2011
    why you so mean??? This is a beautiful album every songs are so great and you can relate to. You can even feel what she means and you'll understand every word she was singing... I can say it is a wonderful album and it's on my top list. I can't wait for her next album. :)

PS: Jennifer Love Hewitt is a great singer and have beautiful range of voice... :)

1. Admittedly, her FM-friendly singalongs aren't rocket science, just fantastically effective. [May 2003, p.109]
  2. Amounts to nothing more than a party of five million bland cliches. [11 Oct 2002, p.82]
    Hewitt's problem on BareNaked, ironically, is that she lacks "it." Whatever magnetism she carries on screen, whatever eye-candy poise she possesses; it all comes off as vanilla in her music.