Born This Way - Lady Gaga
7.3

Review this album

1. May 23, 2011
    An amazing album! Yes, perhaps not the album of the decade, but comes close to pop album of the decade atleast! the songs are so different from the other mediocre stuff that is put out. I love it!
  2. May 23, 2011
    The hype was worth it. Lady GaGa's Born This Way is a marvelous record. She sings her heart out in every song. Simply AMAZING! There are no stand-out tracks on the album, each and every song is great and could be a potential single. Weather she is singing about religion, love, fighting for equal rights or fighting for your own identity, she always makes sure that your going to beThe hype was worth it. Lady GaGa's Born This Way is a marvelous record. She sings her heart out in every song. Simply AMAZING! There are no stand-out tracks on the album, each and every song is great and could be a potential single. Weather she is singing about religion, love, fighting for equal rights or fighting for your own identity, she always makes sure that your going to be comfortable listening to it. Expand
  3. May 23, 2011
    Simply a perfect album. There isn't a track on this record that is a misfire. I can't understand why it didn't get a better metascore. The album is probably the best of the decade. I haven't heard pop genius like this since MJ or Mad. It's INCREDIBLE!!!
  4. May 23, 2011
    Lady GaGa gave an exceptional album. It sounds so different in a good way from her previous work. The lyrics are so inspiring and themes like be yourself, betrayal, self esteem and identity is themes that are generation struggle for. The music is marvelous, it makes you dance or cry (i.e. The Edge of Glory). The GaGa phenomenon is the new type of reality and its characteristic boundlessLady GaGa gave an exceptional album. It sounds so different in a good way from her previous work. The lyrics are so inspiring and themes like be yourself, betrayal, self esteem and identity is themes that are generation struggle for. The music is marvelous, it makes you dance or cry (i.e. The Edge of Glory). The GaGa phenomenon is the new type of reality and its characteristic boundless freedom. Not only album of 2011 or the decade or anything else it is the album of our generation and it is definitely part of it since MJ, Madonna, Mariah Carey described and marked their generation and continue to be, "Born This Way" is excellency and the '10s a have a good start. Congratulations! Expand
  5. May 27, 2011
    This album is plain stupid. i don't know how can anyone love this album. i mean, it's overproduced and it's messy from the first song to the last one. she tried to bring across a message to young people to feel confident and to be yourselves, but literally failed on that. no one can relate to it just because it lacks emotion and originality. the hype she created about her new work and herThis album is plain stupid. i don't know how can anyone love this album. i mean, it's overproduced and it's messy from the first song to the last one. she tried to bring across a message to young people to feel confident and to be yourselves, but literally failed on that. no one can relate to it just because it lacks emotion and originality. the hype she created about her new work and her so-called art, actually backfired cause she can't deliver. it's obvious that she tries too hard. the stories are all similar, and what she came out with is an old electro-techno-pop-saxophone(really gaga?)-80's tune that sounds, well, cheesy. it's tacky and tasteless, it's all over the place. and it feels rather like a collection of rip off than an album of the decade. there's no stand out tracks nor there are highlights. her hardcore fans will love it and call it "master piece", "epic" "best album ever", but in the eyes and ears of everyday music followers and lovers this is pure rubbish. she won't get new fans, instead, she'll lose some of them. i mean, she lost one follower, and that one is me. i think that many people feel just like i do about her sophomore effort. if she only took more time to write and to generate some better ideas, i think it would sound much better and more fresh than this played out auto tune music. names to the songs are laughable. she uses many times the word 'tonight', 'fashion'. lazy songwriter much? I've noticed that the choruses sound the same and the song 'fashion of his love' sounds like Whitney's 'i wanna dance with somebody'. Awkward! i'm sorry but gaga will probably never have an album of the decade. Expand
  6. May 23, 2011
    A solid album. The lyrics are sometimes a little cheesy, but the whole album feels like it could have been released in the 80s. And the 80s was filled with cheesy lyrics so, in some ways, the odd lyrics fit in the album. Vocally, Gaga is amazing. She is obviously trying new styles, such as in Judas, which she has never tried before. It's nice to see an artist challenging themselves in thisA solid album. The lyrics are sometimes a little cheesy, but the whole album feels like it could have been released in the 80s. And the 80s was filled with cheesy lyrics so, in some ways, the odd lyrics fit in the album. Vocally, Gaga is amazing. She is obviously trying new styles, such as in Judas, which she has never tried before. It's nice to see an artist challenging themselves in this way. The songs themselves may take a bit of getting used to; Born This Way, Judas, Americano, Hair, Highway Unicorn and Electric Chapel all initially left me disappointed, but after hearing them more and more, I find all of them very impressive. Here's a track by track review: "Marry The Night" - A nice opener for the album. Like some of Fernando Garibay's other work, I found the production on the song a little messy, but was pleased. The chorus is wonderful and very catchy. 8.5/10 "Born This Way" - Initially a letdown for me (compared to the other album's first singles, Just Dance and Bad Romance, how could it not be!?) mainly because of the bad production. There are seriously like 10 instruments just playing whatever the hell they want. After a while though, once you get over the disappointment, you have to realize that this is probably going to be considered one of Gaga's most iconic songs. It isn't THAT bad, either. 8.5/10 "Government Hooker" - Compared to the preview we got a few months ago, this is a disappointment. It's slower, which makes the song less enjoyable. However, it's one of Gaga's weirdest tracks ever, and it's extremely catchy. Also, I like how Gaga was comparing us to hookers who get "screwed" by the government but don't care. 9/10 "Judas" - At first, I was supremely disappointed by this song. It felt like an attempt to make another "Bad Romance" but failed miserably. However, the song eventually grew on me. A LOT. The verses are amazing, the pre-chorus, too, and the bridge is fantastic. The only thing I dislike about this song is the chorus. Everything else is amazing. 9/10 "Americano" - The beginning kind of threw me off. I really thought I wasn't going to enjoy it and it just sounded like a cheesefest. But once the song got going, it was pretty nice. The chorus is powerful and this is also a really odd track. 8.5/10 "Hair" - Initially another letdown. I felt the song sounded extremely similar to the song released just a week prior to this (Edge of Glory) so was pretty put off. However, once Edge of Glory began boring me I began listening to this more. Yes, it feels like another EoG, but it's more ... fun. The saxophone isn't just randomly clunked into the song; it's actually a PART of the song throughout. The chorus is one of the catchiest on the album. 8.5/10 "Scheià Expand
  7. May 24, 2011
    One of the best pop albums that I heard and i am not joking! "Born This Way" offers something that not most of the pop albums deliver: Variety! If you like pop in all of his glory, this is your album.
  8. May 23, 2011
    I didn't think it was possible to improve on The Fame Monster, but Lady GaGa has managed to do just that. This is a brilliant album, dark, dancy and loud. This will be considered one of the greatest albums of all time.
  9. May 23, 2011
    Absolutely perfect. A beautiful and perfect album, thank you Gaga! Amazing, not boring, incredible, fantastic! The TRIUMPH of sounds! There isn't a track on this record that is a misfire.
  10. May 23, 2011
    Great album for old Gaga fans and for new ones too! Her music is now so much different so if you are fan who only likes "disco-pop" music you maybe won't like this. Born This Way's songs are heavy-rock-dance-electronic-trance mixtures and it works damn good :D For me this album is awesome! Almost every song could be big hit (Government Hooker, Marry The Night, Bad Kids, Heavy MetalGreat album for old Gaga fans and for new ones too! Her music is now so much different so if you are fan who only likes "disco-pop" music you maybe won't like this. Born This Way's songs are heavy-rock-dance-electronic-trance mixtures and it works damn good :D For me this album is awesome! Almost every song could be big hit (Government Hooker, Marry The Night, Bad Kids, Heavy Metal Lover...) Still some songs are kinda boring when there isn't that catchy melody which would make you listen it more and more after the first time. First when I heard album I thought it was good, but not great...Then I listened more those songs and fall in love! :D

Buy, it's worth it.
  11. May 23, 2011
    Disgusting... sick and boring, all the songs sound exactly the same... But for her freaking monsters, It will be "OMG the best album of the century"... they're too blind to see reality, hopefully I can see one or two wakening up... Thank God I've seen critics giving the reviews this disgusting album deserves... I'm not in love with Gaga, I won't ever be and this album SUCKS!
  12. May 23, 2011
    Unbelievable disappointing, but it still has a couple of tracks that shows that Lady Gaga has something to say: "Government Hooker" and "Hair". The worst song of Gaga in this album and in her whole career is "Born This Way", which has no sense and without any rhetoric in it. Judas, the second single, climb a little in quality, but it's not a "Bad Romance" or a "Just Dance" (this last, theUnbelievable disappointing, but it still has a couple of tracks that shows that Lady Gaga has something to say: "Government Hooker" and "Hair". The worst song of Gaga in this album and in her whole career is "Born This Way", which has no sense and without any rhetoric in it. Judas, the second single, climb a little in quality, but it's not a "Bad Romance" or a "Just Dance" (this last, the best song of Gaga). Expand
  13. May 24, 2011
    All the chorus' and underlying beats sound the same, cohesive, but the same. A lot of anticipation was built up for this album as she garnered it the "Album of the Decade"... Didn't live up to her own conceited hype. Oh yeah, and I thought Madonna released this album 20 years ago?
  14. May 23, 2011
    14 EARWORMS. Her music has totally evolved and the diversity of this monster provides music for everyone. It's a brave and proper step and though it is clear that this is not (yet) "album of the decade", only time will tell. Just settle yourself for the biggest pop rollercoaster ride Gaga has ever conceived. A masterpiece.
  15. May 25, 2011
    People say the bad critical reviews are from unprofessional critics but one thing you ought to know is that, if the reviews were unprofessional, metacritic won't summit it to their website !!! Facts !!!!
    Secondly, The silliness of hype, anticipation and mediocre never fails to astound.
    I listened to this album yesterday, i left it on replay the whole night while i was doing some work and up till now am yet to understand the whole concept of the album. All the songs sounds exactly the same.
  16. May 23, 2011
    This is a really poor album. There are approximately 4 good songs out of 14 here. The rest are a bunch of club bangers that range from awful to just below mediocre. I just can't recommend this to anyone, and I don't see the hype.
  17. May 24, 2011
    @ cliff55: tiny mix tapes giving this a zero does not mean they are unprofessional, their review was far well written than 70% of the other critics here.
  18. May 23, 2011
    All the chorus' sound the same. Few great tracks. Some don't even cut mediocre. Too many similar themes - i'm sure the unicorn one is just an extension of Marry the Night. Judas and Government Hooker stand out amongst numerous 80's b-sides.
  19. Aug 1, 2011
    I've changed my mind. Definitely a 0
  20. May 23, 2011
    While her vocals are a strong point, everything else is bland, repetitive, and unoriginal. Worst-written album of the year by far. Filled with cliche banalities that should make even the most dedicated little monster shudder.
  21. Oct 28, 2011
    The best album I've ever heard! Mother Monster has totally overcome herself! THE ALBUM OF THE DECADE. is the anthem of our generation and I will always remeber I WAS BORN THIS WAY! so congratulations, Gaga you did it!
  22. Diz
    May 27, 2011
    Most of the reviews here, no doubt, come from her fan base. Of course her fan base is going to love what she does. If you want a more accurate review then I would google it to find what regular people think of the album. That being said, I don't consider myself a fan of Lady Gaga for reasons unrelated to her music so it's not important to the review of her music. Born This Way is a greatMost of the reviews here, no doubt, come from her fan base. Of course her fan base is going to love what she does. If you want a more accurate review then I would google it to find what regular people think of the album. That being said, I don't consider myself a fan of Lady Gaga for reasons unrelated to her music so it's not important to the review of her music. Born This Way is a great pop album with the occasional rock vibe, but it is not an epic album or the 'album of the decade' that some people say it is. I've been listening to the album since it leaked and so far I'm pretty much split down the middle of LOVING half the album, liking the majority of the rest, and hating Born This Way (the song not the album). Marry The Night, Government Hooker, Judas, Hair, Schiebe, and Bloody Mary are the most stand out tracks in my opinion. The only track I don't like is Born This Way because I don't like that people (non fans of Gaga) ask me if BTW is my "anthem" and it's far from. The rest of the album is good, but a bit underwhelming. Songs like Heavy Metal Lover and Electric Chapel have great instrumentals but just when you expect her to belt out singing, she stays on the same level. Does not make it a bad song, but it could have been better. The Fame Monster is definitely a much better album, but Born This Way is a great pop album. I highly recommend a listen, but it does not live up to the hype that surrounds Lady Gaga. Expand
  23. May 27, 2011
    Overall, I enjoyed the journey through the album. I think 'Marry the Night' and 'The Edge of Glory' were the perfect songs to begin and end it, respectively. In between the two, there were definitely more standout tracks than there were forgettable ones. A few songs from the album including, 'Black Jesus + Amen Fashion' and 'Fashion of His Love' probably could have been left out of theOverall, I enjoyed the journey through the album. I think 'Marry the Night' and 'The Edge of Glory' were the perfect songs to begin and end it, respectively. In between the two, there were definitely more standout tracks than there were forgettable ones. A few songs from the album including, 'Black Jesus + Amen Fashion' and 'Fashion of His Love' probably could have been left out of the bonus track version without losing the integrity of the album. But that being said, her vocals soared in multiple songs, whether it be operatic, disco, or Eighties sounding.

Lyrically, it was refreshing to not hear about being in a club, getting drunk, or partying of which the Billboard Hot 100 has a lot (not putting a negative connotation on them of course, just saying). They were empowering, personal, and personable lyrics. Sure, there were some weak tracks, but the journey through the album is something that contemporary pop albums lack sometimes.
  24. May 23, 2011
    A very strong effort. It goes in a lot of different directions. Gaga is clearly still trying to harness her creativity, and she's getting there slowly but surely. The sheer amount of new music here - over 70 minutes with the bonus tracks - is impressive, and there are no filler tracks. She misses the mark a couple times (Bad Kids, Hair), but she scores many more times (Marry The Night,A very strong effort. It goes in a lot of different directions. Gaga is clearly still trying to harness her creativity, and she's getting there slowly but surely. The sheer amount of new music here - over 70 minutes with the bonus tracks - is impressive, and there are no filler tracks. She misses the mark a couple times (Bad Kids, Hair), but she scores many more times (Marry The Night, Government Hooker, Americano, Scheibe, Electric Chapel). Highly recommend for any pop/dance music fan. Expand
  25. May 23, 2011
    Brilliant.
    I expected nothing less from Mother Monster. On my first listen, I felt that I wasn't hooked on the new, darker style that Gaga produces on this album. But by the second listen, I was hooked.
    Brilliant.
    Gaga has created a new sound for herself with 'Born This Way,' and much of the songs have strong meanings relating to Gaga and her fans. I think my favourites are 'Government Hooker,' (which is about the relationship between Marilyn Monroe and J.F.K., in case you were wondering) 'Judas,' 'Americano,' (which is reminiscent of Alejandro) and 'Bloody Mary,' which I feel is great and very different to anything that you have ever heard from Gaga.
    I feel that with this album, although not everything is perfect, Gaga is very close to finding herself and her perfect style.
  26. Jun 1, 2011
    thought pjharvey would have made it, but nah, BORN this WAY, is the album of the year 2011. so far... i'm absolutely in love with every song, well 2 or 3 off, but they are on the deluxe edition anyway.
    Heavy metal Lover and Passion of his Love: GREAT songS!!!!!!
  27. May 27, 2011
    Extraordinary album. So deformed, intense, powerful and strange as the same Lady Gaga. It is a work of authorship, a masterpiece full of unforgettable songs with memories of the seventies and eighties passed through the filter cool. Lady Gaga promised a masterpiece ... and she did when everyone doubted I could do at 25 years. This album is indispensable for any lover of music and basic inExtraordinary album. So deformed, intense, powerful and strange as the same Lady Gaga. It is a work of authorship, a masterpiece full of unforgettable songs with memories of the seventies and eighties passed through the filter cool. Lady Gaga promised a masterpiece ... and she did when everyone doubted I could do at 25 years. This album is indispensable for any lover of music and basic in contemporary pop. Lady Gaga is a genius. And this album is one of the many reasons for this truth. Expand
  28. May 23, 2011
    Whilst 'The Fame Monster' was more catchy, 'Born This Way' combines poetic lyrics, club-friendly beats, good vocals, and genuine heart to prove itself a winner in its own right.
  29. May 23, 2011
    Most definitely gaga's best work to date. I'm so sick of albums being hyped up to the point where they aren't enjoyable anymore. I was starting to doubt the greatness of 'Born This Way' until i actually heard it. It is truly beautiful! Very big variety while staying with Gaga's signature sound. I cannot choose any favorite(s) tracks because all songs are equally good. very consistent. IMost definitely gaga's best work to date. I'm so sick of albums being hyped up to the point where they aren't enjoyable anymore. I was starting to doubt the greatness of 'Born This Way' until i actually heard it. It is truly beautiful! Very big variety while staying with Gaga's signature sound. I cannot choose any favorite(s) tracks because all songs are equally good. very consistent. I LOVE GAGA AND I WAS BORN THIS WAY. Expand
  30. May 28, 2011
    Wonderfu, Awesome, amazing, can not find words to describe this cd. Great songs, deep lyrics, this album is in a higher degree, much better than her previous ones. Simply a masterpiece

1. Sep 25, 2014
    Lady Gaga promised her fans (perhaps a tad prematurely) that her new album would be the greatest of the decade. But even if the next nine years bring something better, we're unlikely to hear anything bigger than Born This Way.
  2. Aug 8, 2011
    Born This Way feels like the first proper Lady Gaga album. [Aug. 2011, p. 114]
  3. Jul 6, 2011
    Gaga has always been able to anchor her haughty conceptual undertakings with simple, catchy tunes, but with Born This Way, the persona and the message are starting to bleed into the songs. It's not a good look.