Born to Die - Lana Del Rey
8.3

Review this album

1. Oct 15, 2014
    Competindo com Diamandis (aka Marina) está entre os melhores álbum em que escutei na minha vida.
    O estilo de Del Rey é único, e ela deixa sua marca neste álbum, Del Rey consegue se encaixar em músicas mais agitadas (Off To The Races) até as mais calmas como Carmen ou como 90% do álbum é.
    Este álbum Del Rey se incia e mostra sua genuinidade para o mundo.
  2. Sep 27, 2014
    Born to Die is a fresh, new sound that music industry needed at this point. Lana's voice is beautifully unique and overwhelming with melancholy. She seems to come straight out from these American classic books bakc in the 50s. Her album is, from beginning to end, from Born to Die to Lucky Ones, a succession of perfect, different touching songs that you will visually hear. Her admiration for Nabokov is strongly felt in songs such as Carmen, Lolita or Off to the Race and she tragically takes Lolita's place. Born to Die is an ode to love, death, literature, movies, despair and music. Expand
  3. Sep 22, 2014
    Dá sono? Sim, mas não deixa de ser perfeito. Pisa no Ultraviolence sim, melhor álbum dela, semrpe que quero dormir abro o Spotify e escuto Blue Jeans.
  4. Sep 18, 2014
    Como evitei esse nome e com apenas um flash, uma cena de Blue Jeans, me encontrei apaixonado(leia-se obcecado) pelo modo dela escrever e interpretar suas canções, não é um disco completamente perfeito, mas chega bem perto, well, I'm waiting for my heaven
  5. Jul 30, 2014
    Lana Del Rey makes me get goosebumps with the intensity of her music, the sounds make a great energy uplift, combined with her amazing voice. Great album!
  6. Jul 29, 2014
    Though you may get confused at a first glance, you eventually get to love this complete and stylish work of art that plays seduction, irony, sex appeal, sadness, nostalgia, tragedy, joy and desolation better than any other counterpart. Standouts: Born To Die, Summertime Sadness and, first of all, Video Games.
  7. Jun 27, 2014
    Its the best album of 2012. 'Born to Die' is great and has lyrics and production so wonderful. Lana Del Rey sang it with a lot of feelings that makes me feel better and special. Its so dark and pretty. BTD is my love.
  8. Jun 18, 2014
    The album is good in general, the music is complex and it has some beautiful songs on it. Nevertheless, the lyrics tend to be very simple and dumb and even though the violins play it good here, it lacks of maturity and cohesion.
  9. May 22, 2014
    Lana Del Rey's Born To Die is the pinnacle of pop and indie perfection. Anyone who has heard one of her songs on the radio can tell you that now more than ever her appeal has grown beyond hipster tumblr bloggers. Although her vocals aren't the strongest, she still has something to say. The 12 tracks intertwine with images of heartbreak and old money, lost desires and New York opulence. Throughout the tales of desperation and she masterfully strings allusions to the novel "Lolita" and general Americana. Sonically, the fusion of hip hop beats and swelling orchestra is a refreshing and at sometimes overblown and dramatic. The production is masterful, some tracks lined with vintage vocal samples and innovative beats that underlie Lana's narrative abilities and distinct voice. Overall, it's a hauntingly beautiful and nearly flawless effort. Expand
  10. May 21, 2014
    Born To Die's vow to represent ultimate excellence while leaving room for a mix of multiple feelings to flourish allows songs that sound nothing alike to blend as one, creating a dramatized, cohesive jewel.
  11. Apr 12, 2014
    Дебютный альбом Ланы Дель Рей — «Born To Die» — получился сказочным и загадочным. Каждая песня не похожа на другую, если учитывать тексты, а вот аранжировки некоторых песен имеют некую схожесть, но это не делает альбом хуже.
  12. Apr 4, 2014
    Lana is a true artist. I've listened her first on her Kill Kill EP and followed her musical career since then. As a sophomore album this couldn't have gotten any better. The vocals are amazing, Lyrics just as fantastic, and instrumentals a mix of sadcore and trip hop. This truly does show how the new age of music should be executed.
  13. Mar 25, 2014
    I love this album. Lana Del Rey has one of the most distinctive voices ever. Although her shift from a deep, jazzy voice to a high, girly one in some songs can be jarring, her voice can be very expressive. I'll just wrap that up there.
  14. Mar 23, 2014
    This album is absolutely brilliant. Ms. Del Rey, who has suffered a hail of criticism, outrage, and spleen out of all proportion to her supposed crimes, has a lovely and agile voice that aptly serves her songs’ lyrics and their arrangements. Many “mature” and “established” artists could only wish to create an album of this quality in their CAREERS, let alone in a freshman offering.

The
    surprising thing to me is that her debut album remains so subtle in its cynicism, its disillusionment, and its criticism of our society's values, given the levels of snark and bile spewed at her for her supposed dishonesty and lack of authenticity (not to mention her rich daddy, her plastic surgery, her fake name, her lack of musical talent, her poor stage presence, and her mediocre singing voice, did I get them all?) The hating hate of these hateful haters (as it might be said on the interwebz) would be over the top even if the dismissals and passionate dislike were based on fact. No artist or performer deserves this level of vitriolic abuse; after all, this isn't Milli Vanilli we're talking about - it isn't even Ashley Simpson or Adele or Amy Winehouse or Miley Cyrus. What is really at the crux of this mad-on?

The anonymity of the internet brings out the worst in our natures; the protected status of "critics gives them an undeserved level of influence over our values (is it 'good' or is it 'bad') and our purchasing behavior (buy this album, see this concert, etc.). We always see the emperor's new clothes because someone tells us we should. So Ms. Del Rey is labeled an untalented, deceptive, spoiled little rich girl who doesn't really have the cred to roll with the Big Kids. Whoever they are.

I have to wonder if these critics have actually LISTENED to Ms. Del Rey's album, "Born to Die"? I hear an incredibly well-crafted, nuanced, and beautiful album. Is Ms. Del Rey a pop singer or an indie? Who cares? This is lush, moody melancholia and heartbreak fashioned into aching melodies and arrangements. It seems to me that the distinction between what is "indie" (and thus increases my level of "hip" - after all, I am discerning enough to listen to it) and what is "pop" is a matter of expectation and record-company (and radio station) manipulation. This is a distinction that developed with the rise of FM radio of the early 70s; it wasn't valid then, and certainly isn't today. It should be relegated to mean-spiritedness of (junior?) high school, where it belongs. LDR is what she is, even after all the A&R people, the attorneys, her managers, and her cosmetic surgeon (I suppose), and what she is isn’t nearly as important as what she does. And what she does, or at least has done here, is make heartbreaking, beautiful music.

I don't know what genre this music is. Emo? Maybe. Retro lounge act? Some. Hip-hop? A pinch or two. "National Anthem" is an excellent example of one of Ms. Del Rey's most appealing and intriguing methods - the combination, and especially the juxtaposition, of different genres, different styles. This is a consistent motif - the clash of reality vs. hopes; of lush, heavily orchestrated torch/cocktail time with urban hop; of melancholy, minor keyed structures against lyrics that seem innocuous, even vapid, but that actually skewer the banality and emptiness of so much of our lives and relationships ("you're the bestest!").

Is there a sameness to the songs? Not really. These songs are complex, mischievous, sharp-as-a-scalpel lyrics and music that bear the mark of a sly, naughty little “bad girl” in devil’s horns and pitchfork platforms. You didn’t like bad girls before she showed up in her cocktail dress and butterfly barrettes? Well now you do. But there is also the girl who is making the best of a series of **** situations. Does anyone honestly think “Video Games” should be taken at face value as a love song? Her “persona” may be manufactured, but she wears it as well as she does her buttoned-down white blouse. Her much maligned SNL performance seemed to me to capture that projection of her identity very well. The music was technically excellent. Her voice, though a bit quavering early on, was as clear and as strong as it was on her album. Sometimes, when the whole world is gone to **** and you didn’t even get a ticket, there’s nothing left to do but touch your hair, move your hand in a gesture expressive of feelings you don’t even recall, and twirl around in a circle. At least you look beautiful in your party dress.

Ms. Del Rey’s party dress is especially lovely.
  15. Mar 14, 2014
    Lana is a good singer, being able to switch from a bird-like falsetto to an elegant deep. I honestly love her so much. But of course, loving someone doesn't mean someone is perfect. Born to Die was exceptional, but exceptionally long. And it tries to squeeze dry Lana of ideas. But when it does, you already love her.
  16. Feb 16, 2014
    Lana Del Rey is a very good young songwriter. She is unique and there are no other artists like her on the scene right now. She brings back the aesthetic of the 60's chanteuse fused with a darkly romantic portrayal of 21st century Americana decadence. Elements of Portishead, Roy Orbison, David Lynch, Nancy Sinatra, - it's all there woven into an intricately lyrical down tempo journey of a pop culture Persephone. You can't go wrong with that really. Expand
  17. Feb 11, 2014
    the repetitive production and moods make this album rather hard a listen, but the song's are individually very good, but with the odd song slightly wonky in its production or just a bit boring, (Dark Paradise for the wonky production and Summertime Sadness for slow). Born to Die without a doubt though, has a potentiality to it, a flame, that yes, goes out a little slightly towards the end, but more or less goes unnoticed for the majority of the tracks prior to them. Buying the edition is unrecommended, because all you want if for the album to end at that point. Born to Die as a sum up, is great in places. Expand
  18. Feb 9, 2014
    Dark, haunting, and extremely beautiful. Favourite tracks: Radio, Blue Jeans, Million Dollar Man, Dark Paradise, Off to the Races and National Anthem.
  19. Jan 31, 2014
    I avoided her for so long as some hipster trash but I finally gave in and I wished I did sooner! the album is pure perfection. my highlights are born to die, Lolita, off to the races, Carmen and video games.
  20. Jan 10, 2014
    Underrated album. the best songs: this is what makes us girls, radio, blue jeans, and born to die. It takes me to 60 's old bar where the true and awesome music came out. Lana Del Rey shouldn't have put songs like off the races and diet mountain dew. beside that the album is a masterpiece
  21. Dec 23, 2013
    The vocals on the album really expresses the songs very well. The lyrics to song is amazing and the melody. But overall it seems dull and monotonously.
  22. Dec 17, 2013
    You just can't get enough of her. Her voice is an addiction. The whole album is beautiful, she is not a typical poppy singer like others. She's unique one of a kind
  23. Dec 16, 2013
    The album was very well-crafted, every detail has been thought of, songs inspired by the film "Lolita" Unconditionally were well placed, but do not give a maximum score for story from "This Is What Makes Us Girls" but sí, Album congratulations Lana Del Rey "Born to Die" are wonderful ,was indeed one of the best albums of 2012
  24. Nov 26, 2013
    This album was beautiful, simple and calm. The hits were absolutely stunning but with tracks like 'Lolita' that let down the album. 'Radio' and 'Blue Jeans' were one of my favorites and the album is not a money waster. 'Summertime Sadness' was the best song in there.
  25. Nov 26, 2013
    This woman looked like it died and has not been buried. Uses a play on words and a fully pedantic to modern image, giving the impression of an instagram untalented and refurbished Nancy Sinatra to today's teens. Fans, just accept that it is just a product placed on the media to sell and nothing more.
  26. Nov 22, 2013
    The strong points of the album are the lyrics and the vocals. The vocals are amazing thanks in part to her already beautiful voice. The music is good, but nothing groundbreaking. The major drawback, however, is the length of the album, especially when more than a few tracks could have been removed. They weren't exactly great.
    In the end, it's a very good album that could have been better.
    And i believe her future work will be. Expand
  27. Nov 22, 2013
    I personally feel this album should have a much higher rating than it does, The main reason being how distinctive and different this album is. The hip-hop influence beats and her moody vocals combined with stunning melodies evoke a series amount of emotion in the listener. The lyrics could do with being a bit less materialistic, as I feel the songs on which Lana shines are 'Million Dollar Man', 'Lucky Ones' and 'Blue Jeans', which are less about opulence and fame and more about love, a theme I think suits her well. Even after 2 years since its release, this album has become one of my favourites of all time, and you should listen and see why. Expand
  28. Nov 16, 2013
    After all the pre-release hype for Lana Del Rey's debut album she unfairly found herself a target for the usual internet maniacs but, while Born to Die doesn't exactly reinvent the wheel, it is certainly a solid start to her recording career. Songs such as Title track Born to Die, Video games and Blue Jeans ably demonstrate Lana's vocal talents and will attract more than enough fans to make her a success in the pop world. Expand
  29. Nov 12, 2013
    Born To Die has no words to describe it. So fresh, so excellent, the whole amazing lyrics and sounds. It's perfect. I have no words with this album. If you say that it is bad you're totally wrong.
  30. Nov 12, 2013
    With one of the most beautiful and moving voices of the current generation, Lana Del Rey has given us a reason to have faith in the mainstream music industry. Born to Die can be considered a short and repetitive record, though the talent that Lana Del Rey has is enough to save the record and turn it into a masterpiece.

1. Feb 28, 2012
    Spread over 12 songs, Del Rey becomes so ordinary, even bland, that no amount of little girl vocals or pouting can save her.
  2. Feb 27, 2012
    Tune out the background media noise and immerse yourself. [Mar 2012, p.94]
  3. Feb 21, 2012
    Confirms her as the most compelling new pop star around: half doomed romantic, half mordant cynic, with a distinctively conflicted vision of how love, fame and America work. [Mar 2012, p.94]