Brighter Than Creation's Dark

8.8

Review this album

1. DaveS.
    Jan 30, 2008
    I don't so much listen to a Trucker's record, I have an ongoing relationship with it. BTCD and I will have a long-running conversation. Neff's steel work, Oldham's piano pop up to floor me at different points in every new listen to the work. Intelligent lyrics, searing emotion and DBT's musical craftsmanship produce the usual intoxicating mix of the DBT cocktail. I don't so much listen to a Trucker's record, I have an ongoing relationship with it. BTCD and I will have a long-running conversation. Neff's steel work, Oldham's piano pop up to floor me at different points in every new listen to the work. Intelligent lyrics, searing emotion and DBT's musical craftsmanship produce the usual intoxicating mix of the DBT cocktail. Set me up for many more rounds. Expand
  2. JohnC
    Jan 25, 2008
    ...after isbell's departure my expectations were not nearly this high.
  3. SeanP.
    Feb 27, 2008
    At first listen, it sounded like a very good alt-country album. But then, I found myself going back to it over and over again. By now, I've heard it more than any other album in the last few weeks. It has grown on me considerably. Now it's one of the best alt-country albums I've ever heard. The staying power is incredible. It's all I've been listening to lately.
  4. KarlH.
    Feb 2, 2008
    They have set the bar high and they don't disappoint. The songs that Shonna wrote and sings on just add another element to America's best band.
  5. NormanF.
    Feb 3, 2008
    The only question is whether this is the year's best rock album or the year's best country album. I'll let everyone else figure it out...I'm too busy listening all day long. Wow!!
  6. GaryG.
    Feb 6, 2008
    I don't know how they keep doing it album after album... but here is another brilliant one by The Drive-By Truckers. I think they could have streamlined the songlist a bit as 19 tracks is a long listen. However, some of their best songs ever can be found on this album.
  7. MikeJ.
    Jan 26, 2008
    Right alongside the Dirty South as their best records.
  8. TS
    Jan 26, 2008
    Wow.... Album of the year and it's only January 22nd. Who needs Isbell when you can write songs like this?
  9. BartW.
    Jan 27, 2008
    To me, this is easily their most relevant and thoughtful record. A real treat for new listeners and long time fans alike. In my opinion, their best songwriting to date.
  10. BenInBrooklyn
    Jan 28, 2008
    My first great album purchase of 2008. Its got me off random play... finally.
  11. PaulC
    Jan 29, 2008
    The first good album of 2008.
  12. MycroftW.
    Jan 29, 2008
    On par with their impressive back catalogue, another winner.
  13. JD
    Feb 14, 2008
    "Two Daughters And A Wife" is the ONLY diamond in this rough. i gave this a 9 ONLY because of this song. It went directly into my "EPIC" playlist. Pretty boring and unremarkable otherwise.
  14. DanielC.
    Feb 8, 2008
    This is among DBT's best recordings. It may be lengthy, but that's my only complaint. I love this record.
  15. PhilB
    Jan 25, 2008
    What an astounding effort this album is? After the departure of Jason Isbell.some folks had thought it was the beginning of the end, how wrong they were. I never doubted the Cooley/Hood partnership but Shonna Tucker has just gone and stepped up to the plate and has done it in style. What a hidden jewel this womans voice is...surely one of the contenders for album of the year.
  16. EricC.
    Jan 27, 2008
    And to think I used to hate southern rock. These guys are awesome, and are quickly making their way next to Spoon and the Arcade Fire as my definitive favorite bands (a prestigious list, I know). Seriously though, why aren't these guys noticed enough? They could be a slap in the face for all the people who think there hasn't been a good southern band since Skynard.
  17. HexumS
    Feb 29, 2008
    I had never heard of this band before. I just downloaded some random high scoring album from MetaCritic because I was bored. I dislike about 95% of albums that get critical acclaim here, but let me tell you this is definitely one of the 5% that I absolutly love. This is my best MetaCritic find since The Shins - Chutes too Narrow. Try this one out!
  18. MikezD.
    Mar 18, 2008
    Maybe the best record they have done, and so far better than anything else this year.
  19. RattyP.
    Mar 25, 2008
    Better than many band's best by a country mile, but we're talking DBT standards here. I have to say, I really miss Jason.
  20. Jan 31, 2014
    Really really beautiful songs. They don't have to act out ridiculous emotions for us to react emotionally. The first song truly depressed me in its beauty and subject matter. Moving stuff.
  21. Sep 12, 2016
    Spooner Oldham is what makes this album for me. His work on the keyboards is amazing. This album has a dirty edgy sound to it that works. A Ghost to Most and Self Destructive Zones are instant classic. Its a shame that Shrimpy Swartz is a such a poser fake music fan he has no love for this band.
  22. Oct 18, 2016
    This record changed my life.

I realize I was short and nondescript with my A Blessing and a Curse review, so I'll try and take more time with this. This was the first DBT record I ever bought. Simply because my friend told me to do so. I haven't looked back. The beauty and darkness that reeks fro this record brings up something within me that I'll never be able to explain. Every song
    This record changed my life.

This was the first DBT record I ever bought. Simply because my friend told me to do so. I haven't looked back. The beauty and darkness that reeks fro this record brings up something within me that I'll never be able to explain. Every song on here is perfect. There's not a dull moment. Shonna really shows her true colors here and it's incredible. Patterson found where he needed to be. His songs on this record shine. The comraderie between the members would be envious of any band. They just WORK. Cooley has some of the best moments on his career here. They're funny, witty, insightful, brooding, and most importantly, rockin'. And don't get me started on John and Spooner. Incredible.

Don't let this one pass you buy. I realize your money is as important to you as it would be the next, but if you're still unsure, trust me on this when I say, buy it. Please please buy it.

Key Tracks:
    "A Ghost to Most"
    "The Purgatory Line"
    "You and Your Crystal Meth"
    "Checkout Time In Vegas"
    "The Monument Valley"
    "Bob"
    "The Opening Act"
    "Self Destructive Zones"

1. Brighter Than Creation's Dark is one of the meanest, leanest 19-track albums you'll ever spin.
  2. Entertainment Weekly
    Southern-rock riffs still anchor the tunes, but Brighter also throbs with pedal steel and creamy keys played by veteran R&B session guuy Spooner Oldham. [25 Jan 2008, p.68]
  3. The result is a sprawling, 75-minute immersion in the dynamic between Patterson Hood's Neil Young/Tom Petty-influenced folk and rock and Steve Cooley's mix of Rolling Stones, stone country and Band-flavored folk-rock.