8.2

Review this album

1. AlM
    Sep 23, 2009
    Critics are only critics because they lack the talent to be musicians. Ignore them at all times.
  2. stephanieh
    Jul 23, 2009
    Rockin'! Something with an actual message, something real, something unique. A nice change from the manufactured pop, radio friendly crap that's been out for years. Critic reviews?? Ha! Proof again that the industry has lost the idea of real genuine talent and are completely out of touch with the consumer. Hello?? Who pays your salary?? Us. Slamming a group that is creative and Rockin'! Something with an actual message, something real, something unique. A nice change from the manufactured pop, radio friendly crap that's been out for years. Critic reviews?? Ha! Proof again that the industry has lost the idea of real genuine talent and are completely out of touch with the consumer. Hello?? Who pays your salary?? Us. Slamming a group that is creative and talented only turns me off more from the mags, reviews, and TV stuff you've been force-feeding us for years. Expand
  3. GeoffC
    Sep 3, 2009
    Of course I heard their single "Ain't no Rest for the Wicked" on the radio. I downloaded the CD and was not disappointed ! The best way I can think to describe their sound is classic rock with blues, funk, and jazz thrown in. One of the best CD's I've heard in a long time.
  4. omgchrista
    Aug 26, 2009
    Tolerable only if you're into G. Love-style rap-rock--and even if that's your favorite genre, you'll know it's been done before (better, in fact). If they don't start playing Cage the Elephant on the generic rock stations real soon, then I'll agree to eat my boot. They work on some level as an entertaining live group, but the record itself is flavorless and Tolerable only if you're into G. Love-style rap-rock--and even if that's your favorite genre, you'll know it's been done before (better, in fact). If they don't start playing Cage the Elephant on the generic rock stations real soon, then I'll agree to eat my boot. They work on some level as an entertaining live group, but the record itself is flavorless and weak. The self-titled album falls flat somewhere in the middle when Matt Shultz's vocals and the lyricality start to grow old, making each song seem like a carbon copy of the track before. They open for Silversun Pickups on their upcoming tour. Expand
  5. Nov 9, 2012
    It's definitely scattershot, but there's some good stuff here.
  6. MasonZ
    Dec 5, 2009
    No more than 10 seconds into this album, CTE's classic rock roots are made apparent, which is neither a good thing or bad. The flaw with this record is that Cage the Elephant endeavor to do only what has been done by many artists many times before, often better, and without all of the sophomoric pretenses. Frankly, it's not enough to adequately hold one's interest over the No more than 10 seconds into this album, CTE's classic rock roots are made apparent, which is neither a good thing or bad. The flaw with this record is that Cage the Elephant endeavor to do only what has been done by many artists many times before, often better, and without all of the sophomoric pretenses. Frankly, it's not enough to adequately hold one's interest over the 40+ minutes of radio-friendly bullet points. Track "In One Ear" reeks with a teenager-like attitude that is honestly stifling at best. On occasion, they dip into the confessional when not mired in self-righteousness, such as in "Back Against the Wall," but the immaturity of their writing and lack of inventiveness ultimately makes the message hard to believe. Long story short, Cage the Elephant's eponymous debut is not worthless, but is in fact nothing special. Of course, this is just MY opinion, and I think Stephanie and Kimberly have something to say about that. Expand
  7. KimberlyS.
    Jul 27, 2009
    I agree with stephanie h, you said it sista! I think this band is awesome, let Matt say what's on his mind, so what!? If you don't like it, don't listen. Opinions are like A$$ holes, everybody's got one.
  8. Nov 16, 2010
    It's just a fun album. A groovy sound with some decent musicians, it's an album that can be enjoyed upon first listen and whenever you want to listen to something that gets you moving along with the songs.
  9. Jan 20, 2011
    Saw these guys at summerfest in Milwaukee. Have no doubt this band is great and puts on an unbelievable show with so much passion.Do not just judge the band on "Wicked" which is a good track but the entire cd will blow you away.
  10. Nov 16, 2011
    This mix of influences is one of Rock's greatest achievements in recent years. Recorded in a single week, people calling this overproduced are just.... well.... wrong. The reason it's a 9 and not a 10 is because as opposed to CTE's second album, this album doesn't have nearly as much diversity.
  11. Oct 13, 2013
    One of the best latest bands of all time, truly amazing riffs and great vocals with hammering drums and breezy bass, The album is a true mix of blues,rock,grunge and indie just such an amazing album, downside probably the fact that the after a while the album get tedious and repetitive
  12. Jul 30, 2013
    This album is made up of songs that will satisfy you on the first and thirtieth listen, providing you are a fan of classic rock. However a mark has to be taken off for having the mental age of 7. But move past the questionable singing and lyrics, this is a great album. 8.5/10
  13. Apr 6, 2015
    Probably the best album they've made, the only one that touches it is "Melophobia". A very solid record, start to finish. It includes some of the best rock songs released in the 21st century, such as "In One Ear", "Ain't No rest for the Wicked", "Back Stabbin' Betty", "Back Against the Wall", "James Brown", and "Tiny Little Robots". Nothing overly special about this, just a group ofProbably the best album they've made, the only one that touches it is "Melophobia". A very solid record, start to finish. It includes some of the best rock songs released in the 21st century, such as "In One Ear", "Ain't No rest for the Wicked", "Back Stabbin' Betty", "Back Against the Wall", "James Brown", and "Tiny Little Robots". Nothing overly special about this, just a group of friends playing good ol' fun rock n roll, and that's exactly what it is. Expand
  14. Dec 15, 2014
    I understand that the music we're saturated with today causes critics to be misled on what good music is. I can take the song and transpose it into a playable arrangement. Check. It has a base rhythm for all of the components of the song. Check. It is pleasing to listen to. Check. Critics are wrong about this band going nowhere. Check.
  15. Jan 10, 2015
    This record spills out relentless track after track. It may get old after a while but you will leave feeling like a true punk rocker. Cage the elephant at their rowdiest.

1. Cage the Elephant didn't exist until 2005, but as this self-titled album demonstrates, their ability to be influenced by alternative rock and classic rock simultaneously is a definite plus.
  2. The group's self-titled debut shows that it has more than one flashy single to offer.
  3. It’s a fatal flaw that rears itself again and again as a bastardised version of blue-collar Americana is force-fed a mass-produced strain of bland modern rock throughout all eleven tracks.