9.0

Review this album

1. Jun 28, 2012
    I was slow on the uptake on this MC but coming from the west coast, I am glad I am on board and this album demonstrates why. On Top Dawg records, he remains under the radar, which maybe good cuz' he makes quality music. Labeled "black hippy" gives and idea of his ID but not totatlly as his mc style is very flexible. With 17 tracks, I can listen to this one all the way thru. Favs includeI was slow on the uptake on this MC but coming from the west coast, I am glad I am on board and this album demonstrates why. On Top Dawg records, he remains under the radar, which maybe good cuz' he makes quality music. Labeled "black hippy" gives and idea of his ID but not totatlly as his mc style is very flexible. With 17 tracks, I can listen to this one all the way thru. Favs include "Terrorist threats", Illuminate", "Showin love" and the remix to "black lip bastard" with Kendrick Lamar. His label mate Kendrick Lamar recently got picked up by Dr Dre and I am sure Ab Soul will follow suit as well. If you like hip hop not about just money, girls and cars this is the artist and record for you. Expand
  2. Jan 6, 2014
    The hook on "Track Two" says it all about this MC: This Black Hippy member gives it his all on this record without holding back; he's truly one of a kind. He can be introspective when needed but at the same time drop lines about DMT and weed. He has a bright future ahead of him.
  3. Feb 16, 2013
    "Ab-Soul: Abstract a line from the chorus from Track Two that perfectly describes Ab-Soul. Somehow, I feel Ab-Soul should've named his album Habits Contradictions because it seems like that would've fit him better. Soul, like Kendrick, has a lot to say. And he knows how to do it. Songs like Terrorist Threats is about taking down the establishment. And on that song he sounds so much like"Ab-Soul: Abstract a line from the chorus from Track Two that perfectly describes Ab-Soul. Somehow, I feel Ab-Soul should've named his album Habits Contradictions because it seems like that would've fit him better. Soul, like Kendrick, has a lot to say. And he knows how to do it. Songs like Terrorist Threats is about taking down the establishment. And on that song he sounds so much like Danny Brown it's hard to tell them apart on the song. Other songs like Pineal Gland, Track Two, Illuminate and Black Lip Bastard Remix are more to show off Soul's lyrical capability. Double Standards is Soul talking about those double standards and talking about how it affects his life daily. And how those double standards can affect people. The Book Of Soul is a very sad song where he talks about the tragic loss of his girlfriend Alori Joh, who posthumously appears on Empathy A Rebellion. It's a haunting song that leaves shivers down my spine with lines like "I guess the Mayans wasn't lying, 2012 my world ended". If I had any issues with this album it's that sometimes songs like Mixed Emotions and Bohemian Grove don't really do anything for me. But even then, Soul still comes hard. It's definitely a refreshing album. And it's furthermore proof that Top Dawg is one of the illest rap cliques out there. Expand
  4. May 5, 2013
    I enjoyed this album! It felt like a refreshing album with great lyrics and better beats!

Favorite Song: Terrorist Threats

Least Favorite Song: SOPA
  5. Jul 14, 2014
    Abstract, introspective, and unique are all good adjectives to describe this album, but none accurately captures the lyrical mastery that Ab-Soul demonstrates throughout Control System. There were several misses on this album (including the laughably atrocious song "SOPA"), but the large majority of this 17-track LP was elite. Ab-Soul is often overlooked because of his more high-profileAbstract, introspective, and unique are all good adjectives to describe this album, but none accurately captures the lyrical mastery that Ab-Soul demonstrates throughout Control System. There were several misses on this album (including the laughably atrocious song "SOPA"), but the large majority of this 17-track LP was elite. Ab-Soul is often overlooked because of his more high-profile TDE label-mates like Kendrick Lamar and ScHoolboy Q which is unfortunate because, while he does not have the presence, vitality, or pure spitting ability of Kendrick, he is not-so-arguably the best lyrical artist of the three. As a fellow reviewer stated: "If you like hip hop not about just money, girls and cars this is the artist and record for you."
    ~ 8.6/10
    Best track: "The Book Of Soul": This would be the best song based simply on the background story to it (his girlfriend of seven years, Alori Joh [who is featured twice on this album], tragically committed suicide), but the lyrics and storytelling are also exceptional.
    Other notable tracks: "Terrorist Threats", "Track Two" & "Black Lip Bastard (Remix)"
  6. Apr 18, 2014
    This album is flawless. I'm disgusted to see other people rate this album with anything less than 10. If I need to convince you that Ab-soul is one of the greatest lyricists of our time, then you need to get your ears checked (perhaps your brain too)
  7. May 16, 2014
    Control system is ab-souls second studio album and he delivers! Very nice word play by soul on this, each track had a deferent feel to it, he covers deferent topics with this unique work play. The production on this is well done, really gives the feel to the tracks. Even the guests on this deliver like on tracks such as terrorist threats and black lip bastard which the album closes on,Control system is ab-souls second studio album and he delivers! Very nice word play by soul on this, each track had a deferent feel to it, he covers deferent topics with this unique work play. The production on this is well done, really gives the feel to the tracks. Even the guests on this deliver like on tracks such as terrorist threats and black lip bastard which the album closes on, with a gritty beat and killer verses by everyone. This album has a lot of personality to it, definitely worth checking out. Expand

1. He's just a gifted kid who likes his weed and his words, which he twists with palpable delight around sparse synth beats musical enough to layer on some delight of their own.
  2. Jul 25, 2012
    Stunning, and at 17 tracks, surprisingly solid.
  3. Jul 24, 2012
    Ab-Soul music fuses street-level concerns with the sort of erudite, rhyme scheme-fixated wordplay more commonly associated with rapper who value beats and rhymes over life. [Jul 2012, p.71]