• Record Label: !K7
  • Release Date: May 11, 2012
9.1

Review this album

1. Jun 28, 2012
    I was slow on the uptake on this MC but coming from the west coast, I am glad I am on board and this album demonstrates why. On Top Dawg records, he remains under the radar, which maybe good cuz' he makes quality music. Labeled "black hippy" gives and idea of his ID but not totatlly as his mc style is very flexible. With 17 tracks, I can listen to this one all the way thru. Favs includeI was slow on the uptake on this MC but coming from the west coast, I am glad I am on board and this album demonstrates why. On Top Dawg records, he remains under the radar, which maybe good cuz' he makes quality music. Labeled "black hippy" gives and idea of his ID but not totatlly as his mc style is very flexible. With 17 tracks, I can listen to this one all the way thru. Favs include "Terrorist threats", Illuminate", "Showin love" and the remix to "black lip bastard" with Kendrick Lamar. His label mate Kendrick Lamar recently got picked up by Dr Dre and I am sure Ab Soul will follow suit as well. If you like hip hop not about just money, girls and cars this is the artist and record for you. Expand
  2. Jan 6, 2014
    The hook on "Track Two" says it all about this MC: This Black Hippy member gives it his all on this record without holding back; he's truly one of a kind. He can be introspective when needed but at the same time drop lines about DMT and weed. He has a bright future ahead of him.
  3. Jul 14, 2014
    Abstract, introspective, and unique are all good adjectives to describe this album, but none accurately captures the lyrical mastery that Ab-Soul demonstrates throughout Control System. There were several misses on this album (including the laughably atrocious song "SOPA"), but the large majority of this 17-track LP was elite. Ab-Soul is often overlooked because of his more high-profileAbstract, introspective, and unique are all good adjectives to describe this album, but none accurately captures the lyrical mastery that Ab-Soul demonstrates throughout Control System. There were several misses on this album (including the laughably atrocious song "SOPA"), but the large majority of this 17-track LP was elite. Ab-Soul is often overlooked because of his more high-profile TDE label-mates like Kendrick Lamar and ScHoolboy Q which is unfortunate because, while he does not have the presence, vitality, or pure spitting ability of Kendrick, he is not-so-arguably the best lyrical artist of the three. As a fellow reviewer stated: "If you like hip hop not about just money, girls and cars this is the artist and record for you."
    ~ 8.6/10
    Best track: "The Book Of Soul": This would be the best song based simply on the background story to it (his girlfriend of seven years, Alori Joh [who is featured twice on this album], tragically committed suicide), but the lyrics and storytelling are also exceptional.
    Other notable tracks: "Terrorist Threats", "Track Two" & "Black Lip Bastard (Remix)"
  4. Apr 18, 2014
    This album is flawless. I'm disgusted to see other people rate this album with anything less than 10. If I need to convince you that Ab-soul is one of the greatest lyricists of our time, then you need to get your ears checked (perhaps your brain too)

1. He's just a gifted kid who likes his weed and his words, which he twists with palpable delight around sparse synth beats musical enough to layer on some delight of their own.
  2. Jul 25, 2012
    Stunning, and at 17 tracks, surprisingly solid.
  3. Jul 24, 2012
    Ab-Soul music fuses street-level concerns with the sort of erudite, rhyme scheme-fixated wordplay more commonly associated with rapper who value beats and rhymes over life. [Jul 2012, p.71]