Death Magnetic - Metallica
7.9

Review this album

1. Aug 18, 2010
    1981-2003. R.I.P Metallica....2008: Metallica has spoken and will live on!! Yes, Metallica fans, Metallica is back! Better than ever! Songs heavier than ever, and more meaning. Only problem is that their songs in this album were depressing. But besides the depressing lyrics, their music has came back!! METALLICA IS BACK!!
  2. Sep 10, 2011
    2008 marks 25 years since Metallica's very first release, and they're still amazing. Also, this proves that DEATH MAGNETIC is not just a celebration of 25 years since KILL 'EM ALL--it's original, and every song is worth listening to--over and over and over.
  3. Apr 12, 2011
    Wonderful album.! Maybe one of the best metal albums of the decade. I never thought that Metallica will comeback this good! I hope they come to my country to listen this new master piece alive
  4. Sep 26, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. God, there's so much to write about this album. To me, it's the album that got me into metal. And made Metallica my 3rd favorite band. I think I'll go track by track, the ones that i like the most, and the ones that made my vote a 9 instead of a 10:
    1) That Was Just Your Life: Awesome song, pure fast, angry, awesome trash metal. A perfect start for a great album.
    2) The End Of The Line: Somehow, this track just doesn't fully convince me. I think it is because it could have been more.
    3) Broken, Beat & Scarred: A jewel in the album. This song doesn't get neither boring nor old. It's a modern version of Seek and Destroy: a catchy intro, several riffs that follow each other until it settles in one for the verse, an awesome yet simple chorus, a rampaging break that build into an amazing solo, another awesome chorus, and a great end riff. Simply mind-blowing.
    4) The Day That Never Comes: this is a modern mix between Sanitarium and One for me. With a suitable intro, a calm and emotional verse that builds up onto the desperation of the chorus. And then, the break. And the rage starts up with the whole riffing that begins at 5:01 and ends the song. It communicates everything it should make you feel with very simple lyrics and great riffs that speak for themselves.
    7) The Unforgiven III: really disappointing. I was hoping for an epic sequel to the lame second part of this "story" if you will. Not bad, but not good either.
    8) The Judas Kiss: Awesome, this song would have as equally rocking without the lyrics. A metal masterpiece.
    9) Suicide & Redemption: WOW, just, WOW. Nothing to say here, every riff repetition is in the exact place and it is played the exact number of times. It cannot get better. The top of the album.
    10) My Apocalypse: Pure, ravaging trash metal.

Well, that was my opinion. I know people will hate me for not saying anything about All Nightmare Long, but i didn't like nor care about that song much. Don't misunderstand me, i like it, but any other song that isn't from Load, Reload nor St. Anger (with the exception of St. Anger and Frantic) could have filled it's spot.
  5. Nov 2, 2011
    I would consider this the best album i have ever heard and what Metallica have made. they have definitely redeemed themselves on this one. One of the first albums I've heard where i have enjoyed listening to every single song on the album and repeatedly listened to again and again. it's 2011 i bought it in 2008 i still listen now 10/10
  6. Nov 9, 2011
    one of the best albums for metallica, the unforgiven III gave the album some nice memories and its nice, 10 great heavy songs, cyanide came out really heavy and great, Thank you Metallica.
  7. Oct 11, 2012
    A vast improvement over the previous 15 years' work. Metallica are back to writing solid songs, and the decision to record at standard E-recording, thus stretching Hetfield's vocals, was the best decision they could have made.

Metallica have reinvented themselves several times over the years, so you certainly can't expect this to sound like Kill 'Em All or Master of Puppets, but why
    would you want it to? You have those albums, go listen to them. The band have bravely followed there own path. It doesn't always work out for the best (Lulu, I'm looking at you), but this album proves they are still able to write killer songs, and perform them with the passion they're known and loved for. Expand
  8. Nov 23, 2011
    To anyone who claims this album is bad then quite simply you are wrong, though i would say more insane. This is metallica doing what they do best. Blasting out fantastic metal tunes. That of course is given the exception of the unforgiven 3, which is garbage, the first two were a lot better.
  9. Mar 16, 2012
    Metallica are finally back with the style we all loved since the beginning. Im really looking forward to see what they can do in their next disc (im not considering Lulu, obviously)
  10. Mar 31, 2013
    Finally, after 12 years of failure, Metallica returns with more power and proves once again that his music is legendary. From the ugly work "Load" hopes were lost for this epic metal band, but this album closed many mouths to Metallica gave up for lost. Indeed, were close to the edge, but this return is a demonstration that he had, retained, and that only the larger ones are able to be reborn as a phoenix to sign one of the best albums of 2008 and of the decade 10 songs in total, long, thick at times, as in And Justice for All" but fast as in the first three discs, no ballads hesitant and without experiments that are not theirs. My favorite song is "All Nightmare Long" (7:57), intense from start to finish and with a chorus of flag to let us throat. "The Day That Never Comes" and have heard, as the you listening again and again shows you that "One" does not take too much advantage. Maybe this reliving their sound, but this work is not worth the ten, because as a man named Dani Alvarez, deserve a minimum punishment for making us wait so long to taste happiness again, plus there are many bands that have earned these years be appreciated as this band. Not exceeding, but there is always an opportunity for everyone. In conclusion this work relives this band after 12 years of failure, it is strongly recommended disc for fans and for the first time in many years, music lovers. Obviously, one of the best albums of the decade 2000. NOTICE: If you happen to see my review of the album "Shogun" by Trivium, I said that work was becoming comparable with Metallica but because sound the same. People often confused with that, but said that because the work of Trivium was becoming as big as Metallica work, ie they were having approaching greatness with Metallica. Many people used to say that Trivium, was the new Metallica. But "Shogun" shows that Trivium Metallica is totally independent and is one of the few bands in my opinion, they have come to be comparable with legendary bands such as Metallica. Even Trivium Metallica fails, but Shogun proved that at any time, we will give a surprise to overtake Metallica. I hope that day arrives, but in the meantime, enjoy "Death Magnetic" and "Shogun", especially Shogun, because honestly, exceeds that of Metallica, but Metallica still enjoyed, is very good Expand
  11. Oct 9, 2013
    I consider Death Magnetic to be truly one of the best Metallica's album overall and shows that Metallica are still a band able to rock very hard. Too bad they do not have the same production quality in the last 10 years as Lulu or St. Anger.
  12. Jan 6, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Really Underrated album, People seriously need to stop comparing it to their earlier albums, and/or give it an actual FAIR CHANCE. Kirk is back to playing some kick ass solos. James' singing still isn't as good as it used to be but its tolerable, Lars' drumming is great, and Rob is the new badass on the bass guitar. The production could be better sure, but other than that I really love this album. The guitar riffs are awesome, the lyrics are really well thought out and its just pure Metal! Expand

1. Sometimes the album's mini-epics come off as we've still got it! stunts. But when it's working, the effect is like ceding your senses to a particularly well-engineered roller coaster in the dark.
  2. The best ones spit in the face of death; this album instead finds aging men trying to reclaim their youth.
  3. The musicianship feels thrillingly live throughout, and nimble new bassist Robert Trujillo helps, even though he's mostly heard as a distant, ominous rumble.