Gangs - And So I Watch You from Afar
8.5

Review this album

1. Oct 17, 2011
    A great live band, not sure how well their music transfers across to record. There isn't a single lyric on either this or their self-titled first record and sometimes this makes the tracks a little repetitive. Most songs are 5 minutes plus of dense guitar **** and while enjoyable, it's not something I personally would listen to very frequently. It's too heavy to be just enjoyed backround music like some instrumental bands. The band have never failed to impress me on a live stage but I think their records would benefit hugely from some vocals/lyrics. Expand
  2. May 31, 2011
    this is not what i would consider an inflated metascore. this is a fantastic instrumental album. it's a total genre blend of everything that makes rock and roll great. sometimes it's almost atmospherically awesome, but most of the time it is face meltingly awesome. either way, that's awesome.
  3. May 20, 2011
    The best 44' of music in 2011 so far, huge guitar riffs and changes of pace. Forget about math or post rock, just listen to it w/o prejudices of any kind and enjoy: brilliant!
  4. May 31, 2011
    An obvious example of a record by a band at the top of their game. From start to finish the album sounds like a celebratory parade complete with riffs and noises to kill a man.
  5. Jun 17, 2011
    I didn't think they could make a better album than their first one... and then they did, wow. This album is beyond amazing. I love every single track.

1. Mar 15, 2012
    Considering that most songs poke past five minutes, they're oddly unmemorable, featuring hooks with infinitesimal life spans, as well as guitars and electronics that all shoulder one another for room with too much hyperactivity to crunch into one song.
  2. Jan 12, 2012
    Unfortunately, by tailoring their sound to the stage, they sacrificed some of the beautiful flow and elegant dynamics that made their self-titled effort so effortlessly brilliant.
  3. Jan 5, 2012
    Though these guys may not have quite perfected their excellent formula just yet, Gangs is nevertheless a step in the right direction.