Hospice - The Antlers
9.2

Review this album

1. May 22, 2011
    basically it goes like this Song 1... Prologue... is the prologue Song 2... Kettering... girl is in hospital because a guy beat her up with a bone... she's really sad and quiet but her nurse decides to take care of her because its his job Song 3... Atrophy... he does surgery to take the bullets out of her body and puts them inside of himself... it makes him so sad that he gives her "a trophy" for making him so sad...

Song 4... Bear... while he is performing surgery he finds out that there is actually a live bear inside her stomach as well, he gets into an argument with the bear about whether they're too old or not old at all

Thirteen... while he is doing surgery there is a little woman inside where the bear was and it sings a song to him asking to pull her out also

Two... I dunno what this song is about really but i think he's talking about her past and then the doctor tells him he has to stop trying to help her because there is way too much **** inside her... the bear has grown angry and it breaks all the light bulbs and glass rains down from the ceiling...

Shiva... she takes off a ring and puts it on his finger and it turns him into Shiva, from the Final Fantasy series, but as he's transforming the "sensation is shivers" because he's ice elemental and it's real cold

Wake... spoiler alert... he wakes up and it was all a dream... but then a helicopter comes outside his window and she's inside of it but he ties the rope around his neck... and dies

Epilogue... they both die and they are buried together but they are still alive and she is screaming so much that he can't sleep
  2. Sep 13, 2010
    Listen to this CD with headphones in the dark. You won't be sorry. It's not a CD that can be sampled or listened to carelessly. It requires a bit of commitment, but the payoff is there.
  3. Nov 3, 2010
    Incredibly moving. If you really listen to the thing front to back you'd have to have a heart of stone not to well up a bit. The music compliments the words perfectly. A deeply inspired work of art.
  4. Oct 3, 2012
    This is easily one of the most emotional albums I've ever listened too. The concept of a girl with cancer and an abused relationship is so tightly wound up inside these lyrics that you can't help but become consumed with her, listening to each song eagerly awaiting what happens next. This album spoke to me on a way more personal level, and if that was The Antlers goal, they succeeded. "Bear" is easily the stand-out track on this LP. All In All, the lyrics on Hospice are gorgeous, the vocals extremely emotional, and the production very subtle, yet so good. A- Expand
  5. May 29, 2011
    I heard about The Antlers, because a review had said they were similar to Arcade Fire, so I had to check them out. Turns out they have completely different styles, both of which I love. This album is absolutely stunning, and my favourite track has to be Kettering.
  6. Nov 5, 2011
    At times brilliant at times disjointed (quite likely on purpose). This record takes a bit of work to appreciate and enjoy. Very dark themes (as the title would suggest) mixed with some moments of joy. It's a record that does a good job of capturing the feeling of dealing with everything that comes with having a terminally ill relative. Not a record you'll have blaring in the car as you go to the beach on a sunny day or as your getting ready to hit the town at the weekend but if your looking for a challenging, emotive album then it's well worth a listen. Expand
  7. Jun 27, 2012
    Any album that can deliver such intense emotions to the listener deserves a 10/10. Never heard anything more emotionally affecting than Hospice by The Antlers.
  8. Oct 15, 2013
    Fantastic piece of work. The tracks really come together. Hard to think of a single song as a highlight because the real highlight are the lyrics and the story. That being said it has many great musical moments that compliment the lyrics.
  9. Oct 16, 2013
    Haunting, harrowing, and beautiful. It's a stunning concept album that you need to listen to straight through to really appreciate. I've heard varying perspectives on the story it tells, but to me it's about an emotionally abusive relationship in which the narrator tries to hold on to his relationship with a girl struggling to deal with her own possibly trauma-induced emotions. This is told through an allegory of a hospital worker in a cancer ward who falls in love with a patient whose imminent death is the catalyst for their tumultuous relationship. The two stories blend ethereally together, almost as if drifting in and out of consciously, while other heart-breaking metaphors bleed into the story. The content of the lyrics is intense and the gorgeous, electronic and folk-influenced music creates a dangerous atmosphere that will draw you fully into the words. The album has no "happy" or "light" songs. The first lyrics of the album (in the song "Kettering") are "I wish that I had known in that first minute we met, the unpayable debt that I'd owe you". If you've ever felt pain from a relationship in your life (whether romantic or not) you'll be able to relate to the feelings the narrator displays for us the panic and horror of trying to hold on to something you know won't last, the feeling that your entire being is tearing apart when it ends, and the fear that you may never be the same person again.

As a side note, it would definitely be helpful to follow along with the lyrics, because often, the narrator sometimes sings in undertones and the words often blend into the music to create that dream-like atmosphere. The downside is that you may miss a lot of the brilliantly poetic lyrics if you don't follow along.
  10. Mar 21, 2014
    Honestly... It's like sonic valium. I commend them for making a concept album in this day and age, and Peter Silberman can certainly write poetic lyrics, but the musical content is garbage. What disappoints me so much is that they've demonstrated that they're fairly capable musicians, yet somehow this happened. There are definitely moments of ingenuity, but otherwise there's a lot of pointless noise. Their instrumental sections are in the same vein as Death Cab For Cutie, except not done even half as well and certainly not very cleverly.
    Some of the songs are pretty nice, such as Bear, but overall they're far too droning and don't carry enough weight to make the ambiance worth it. Plus the production is TERRIBLE. Holy **** I CANNOT stress that enough. Whoever mixed/mastered it either had no idea what the **** they were doing, or let someone with really bad ideas dictate what they did. I understand that everyone has different ideas on what constitutes "good" especially when it comes to artistic merit (irrespective of commercial viability). But it's important to note that there's a fine line between being an artist of high-caliber and making garbage. The Antlers have yet to find that line.
  11. May 13, 2014
    This album expresses the roller coaster of sadness, and still makes it sound beautiful. This is a must listen to anyone who likes music, or has feelings.
  12. Sep 21, 2014
    It's amazing the significance than can be put into an album, and Hospice is the perfect example. It might not be the happiest thing you'll ever hear, but it's certainly worth listening, and arguably the best Antlers allbum there is.

1. This quintet of musicians are making a name for themselves and with Hospice, they have remarkably made one of 2009’s best albums.
  2. Hospice sits squarely in this camp, a heartbreaking aural experience that hits us on a deeper level.
  3. Hospice isn’t uplifting or hopeful; it explores themes of dejection through delicate, beautiful sounds.