Hospice - The Antlers
9.2

Review this album

1. Sep 13, 2010
    Listen to this CD with headphones in the dark. You won't be sorry. It's not a CD that can be sampled or listened to carelessly. It requires a bit of commitment, but the payoff is there.
  2. Nov 3, 2010
    Incredibly moving. If you really listen to the thing front to back you'd have to have a heart of stone not to well up a bit. The music compliments the words perfectly. A deeply inspired work of art.
  3. Oct 3, 2012
    This is easily one of the most emotional albums I've ever listened too. The concept of a girl with cancer and an abused relationship is so tightly wound up inside these lyrics that you can't help but become consumed with her, listening to each song eagerly awaiting what happens next. This album spoke to me on a way more personal level, and if that was The Antlers goal, they succeeded. "Bear" is easily the stand-out track on this LP. All In All, the lyrics on Hospice are gorgeous, the vocals extremely emotional, and the production very subtle, yet so good. A- Expand
  4. May 29, 2011
    I heard about The Antlers, because a review had said they were similar to Arcade Fire, so I had to check them out. Turns out they have completely different styles, both of which I love. This album is absolutely stunning, and my favourite track has to be Kettering.
  5. Oct 15, 2013
    Fantastic piece of work. The tracks really come together. Hard to think of a single song as a highlight because the real highlight are the lyrics and the story. That being said it has many great musical moments that compliment the lyrics.
  6. Oct 16, 2013
    Haunting, harrowing, and beautiful. It's a stunning concept album that you need to listen to straight through to really appreciate. I've heard varying perspectives on the story it tells, but to me it's about an emotionally abusive relationship in which the narrator tries to hold on to his relationship with a girl struggling to deal with her own possibly trauma-induced emotions. This is told through an allegory of a hospital worker in a cancer ward who falls in love with a patient whose imminent death is the catalyst for their tumultuous relationship. The two stories blend ethereally together, almost as if drifting in and out of consciously, while other heart-breaking metaphors bleed into the story. The content of the lyrics is intense and the gorgeous, electronic and folk-influenced music creates a dangerous atmosphere that will draw you fully into the words. The album has no "happy" or "light" songs. The first lyrics of the album (in the song "Kettering") are "I wish that I had known in that first minute we met, the unpayable debt that I'd owe you". If you've ever felt pain from a relationship in your life (whether romantic or not) you'll be able to relate to the feelings the narrator displays for us the panic and horror of trying to hold on to something you know won't last, the feeling that your entire being is tearing apart when it ends, and the fear that you may never be the same person again.

As a side note, it would definitely be helpful to follow along with the lyrics, because often, the narrator sometimes sings in undertones and the words often blend into the music to create that dream-like atmosphere. The downside is that you may miss a lot of the brilliantly poetic lyrics if you don't follow along.
  7. May 13, 2014
    This album expresses the roller coaster of sadness, and still makes it sound beautiful. This is a must listen to anyone who likes music, or has feelings.

1. This quintet of musicians are making a name for themselves and with Hospice, they have remarkably made one of 2009’s best albums.
  2. Hospice sits squarely in this camp, a heartbreaking aural experience that hits us on a deeper level.
  3. Hospice isn’t uplifting or hopeful; it explores themes of dejection through delicate, beautiful sounds.