I Am A Bird Now - Antony and the Johnsons
8.2

Review this album

1. Oct 10, 2010
    This album is simply one of the most beautiful listens I have had in quite some time. Antony's voice is uniquely breath-taking, and the lyrical content is both raw and deeply meaningful. Just wonderful!
  2. Apr 26, 2013
    I can only think of one adjective to describe this album, 'beautiful', His voice is stunning, I saw him in London about 5 years ago and WOW.
  3. Feb 20, 2013
    This record completely hit me by surprise. Prior to listening to it, I actually had never heard even a single track from this band. So right off the bat, the opener "Hope There's Someone" showed me exactly what I was getting myself into. Antony has one of the most beautiful and passionate voices I've probably ever heard. It's truly unlike any voice I've ever had the pleasure to soak in andThis record completely hit me by surprise. Prior to listening to it, I actually had never heard even a single track from this band. So right off the bat, the opener "Hope There's Someone" showed me exactly what I was getting myself into. Antony has one of the most beautiful and passionate voices I've probably ever heard. It's truly unlike any voice I've ever had the pleasure to soak in and enjoy. The lyrics carry a dark and ominous sadness to them, and to an extent I could relate to them. This man has something to say, and he says it in the most artful and beautiful way he can say it. All In All, I Am A Bird Now is a sublime record, from the production to the lyrics, to Antony's voice. Almost pitch-perfect. A- Expand

1. Haunting and affecting.
  2. For what it lacks in consistency, I Am A Bird Now gains in being, even at its most tedious of moments, an interesting and thematically compelling listen.
  3. It could have been mawkish, but the sentiments--and Antony's trembling falsetto--are so honest, you love it despite your jaded self. [4 Feb 2005, p.133]