Is This It?

9.1

Review this album

1. JamesB.
    Dec 26, 2001
    It's become quite trendy to slag off the strokes. Regardless of the infantile indie/major debate, the fact is the tunes are there and yes as an indie rock fan it is okay to enjoy them.
  2. SiA.
    Sep 27, 2001
    This has to be the best album of the year, by lightyears
  3. TauviaD.
    Dec 16, 2001
    This album makes me believe in real stone cold, white boy killin' em in Harlem at the Apollo type music. No this album isn't good, it's flawless,and I'm just a little girl of 29 who believes in God again. Thankyou guys. Las Vegas mixed honey, Tauvia Dawn
  4. AnnaH.
    Nov 11, 2001
    Very original I love this band.
  5. ReneT
    Apr 30, 2003
    you know what? if you don't like THE STROKES then, FUCK YOU!!! These guys will rock forever!!!
  6. Suzanne
    Dec 3, 2001
    If I could give this album an even higher rating I would. It's totally got me obsessed. It made me go see them play just a week after i bought the thing, and they were even more amazing live. This is now my favorite band. Trust me this is good music.
  7. NancyM.
    Nov 14, 2001
    best album of 2001 hot rocker boys
  8. BrettB.
    Jan 13, 2002
    Finally Rock and Roll gets a much needed kick in the ass.
  9. bobbyb
    Nov 3, 2001
    absolutely incredible
  10. NickK.
    Oct 17, 2001
    This album kicks like the Stones during the Exile on Mainstreet era. It leaves every other rock album of the year seem tame.
  11. JayR.
    Oct 23, 2001
    Julian Casablancas does such a phenomenal job of channeling the spirit of Lou Reed circa 1967. I don't think album would have been all that great if the The Strokes were from Duluth, MN. But by being New Yorkers they revive that old New York garage band sound earnestly. These song have a definite charisma that pop music has been lacking in a long time. Good things will come from this album.
  12. Joannel
    Aug 7, 2004
    this is brilliant it makes you laugh and dance and fell like a total fukcing idiot... if ANYONE would give it less than a 9 u are fucking crazy..( and they are the ebst lookign band by FAR
  13. JerryA.
    Oct 2, 2001
    One of the best albums of all time. I wouldn't be surprised if this kicks off the next wave of good music in the mainstream. It has that landmark feel..like Nevermind 10 years ago.
  14. RobertS.
    Jan 8, 2002
    great music. some of the best stuff i have heard in a while. just keep it comming
  15. Briana
    Feb 29, 2004
    This album fuckin rules!!! I will love it forever! Completely genius! Julian Casablancas is a sex god! His voice is amazing! Every little bit of every song is fuckin brilliant, the guitars, the bass, the drums... It rocks!
  16. MikeC.
    Mar 11, 2002
    Finally a real rock group. with all the crap that is out ,this is cool.
  17. Ashley
    Oct 25, 2002
    The Strokes are fucking awesome. Thats all I have to say. Oh, and if you don't like The Strokes, then you don't deserve to go on living. Oh, and Julian Casablanca is incredibly sexy. And so are all the other guys in the band. Oh, and I saw them in concert in Chicago and they were SO GOOD! ok, really, thats it.
  18. ZoeZ.
    Mar 27, 2002
    This album is strait up and I hope it never goes away. I love these guys and I hope they never sell out!
  19. BenG.
    Dec 12, 2001
    the lyrics are great. and the whole idea of this group is excellent. whoever doesn't like this cd, especially the london import with "new york cops", sucks.
  20. DanielG
    Aug 14, 2004
    One of the coolest rock albums I've heard in a long time.
  21. Trixie
    Jan 10, 2003
    loved it, totally different and different from what's out there right now
  22. EdithF.
    Feb 19, 2002
    I'm not not saying this as an obsessive idiot, I'm saying it as an opinionated music-lover. This is an excellent album which deserves all of the good reviews it gets. Not because it's bringing back old trends or whatever critics are labeling them as, just because it's damn good music and these guys have a load of talent.
  23. andieh
    Jan 22, 2004
    I Love This CD... J...ust, Just Great!
  24. AlD.
    Aug 27, 2002
    A+++
  25. Boone
    Jul 23, 2005
    What I love about this album is how every song holds this weird contained emotion, while at the same time, appears almost emotionless. The same can be said about the inward energy of the band. You just imagine the vocals being delivered by a guy standing completely still, entirely motionless, except for his hands. The fingers clench, extend, and shake, just letting you know that despite What I love about this album is how every song holds this weird contained emotion, while at the same time, appears almost emotionless. The same can be said about the inward energy of the band. You just imagine the vocals being delivered by a guy standing completely still, entirely motionless, except for his hands. The fingers clench, extend, and shake, just letting you know that despite the almost dead exterior, this man is very much alive. Expand
  26. jakep
    Dec 5, 2005
    "Guitar rock that knows the grit of downtown, understands the seductiveness of a timeless pop song, and recognizes that a great solo can be accomplished in 20 seconds." This album is exceptional from the opening title track to the finale. The best record to come out since London Calling.
  27. josh
    Jan 5, 2006
    The strokes are the greatest band to come out of any musice scene/genre in the past 15 years. Seminal.
  28. Fletcherb
    Jan 5, 2006
    this is one of the most deeply rewarding discs ever made. 10 just isn't enough.
  29. Elliott
    Jan 14, 2006
    Enough time has passed to solidify this as one of the greatest rock albums ever made.
  30. macmn
    Jan 15, 2006
    this album is simply amazing. the fast pace style keeps you wanting more
  31. LeahK
    Feb 12, 2006
    Many people said this was a bad second album, but the songs were catchy and full of the rock n roll sound i was looking for. kickass album.
  32. NiallC
    Apr 8, 2006
    Amazing debut. One of the greatest albums ever.
  33. youaregayf
    Apr 22, 2006
    the best band ever. s gold is gay
  34. samf
    May 4, 2006
    I've had this album for almost a year, and I'm still waiting for the time that I go more than a couple days without a listen.
  35. sandieh
    May 8, 2006
    Perfect.
  36. HendraS
    Jun 4, 2006
    salute for the strokes!!!! I gave you 10 pts for all your songs.
  37. MarshMan
    Jul 17, 2006
    amazing..... it's almost perfect pop-rock.
  38. SAVAGETOAST
    Aug 4, 2006
    In my opinion the best albums since 2000 are 1. Is This It? by The Strokes 2. Kid A by Radiohead 3. The Moon & Antarctica by Modest Mouse 4. Franz Ferdinand by Franz Ferdinand 5. Turn On The Bright Lights by Interpol
  39. ZachF
    Oct 30, 2006
    The best album of the decade, hands down.
  40. AudreyA
    Jan 2, 2007
    Moving and powerful; there isn't a single song on this album that I didn't adore. I listen to it when I'm said, when I'm elated, when I wake up. Keep it handy. Julian Casablancas' voice sounds both bored and emotional, and at times it can carry you away. The guitar: mesmerizing; the lyrics: entirely confusing, but in its ambiguity absolutely profound. This is Moving and powerful; there isn't a single song on this album that I didn't adore. I listen to it when I'm said, when I'm elated, when I wake up. Keep it handy. Julian Casablancas' voice sounds both bored and emotional, and at times it can carry you away. The guitar: mesmerizing; the lyrics: entirely confusing, but in its ambiguity absolutely profound. This is without a doubt one of the best debut albums in rock history. Expand
  41. PilarS
    Jan 8, 2007
    From the mid-tempo pop ballad 'Is This It', to the perfect pop-rock that are 'Someday', 'Last Nite' and 'When It Started', it's hard to imagine a more consistent album to come out in 2001. 'Soma', 'Alone, Together', 'Take it or Leave it' are so strong in their own simple energy that you just can't help singing From the mid-tempo pop ballad 'Is This It', to the perfect pop-rock that are 'Someday', 'Last Nite' and 'When It Started', it's hard to imagine a more consistent album to come out in 2001. 'Soma', 'Alone, Together', 'Take it or Leave it' are so strong in their own simple energy that you just can't help singing along. Who cares if they're good-looking? It's all about the music! Expand
  42. KickerTom
    Feb 14, 2007
    Great album. Possibly one of the greatest.
  43. Mithyus
    Apr 5, 2007
    Is This It? is a strong addition to The Strokes' history, and brings Indie Rock to a new level.
  44. NickB
    Apr 7, 2007
    This is the best album of our time. Pure brilliance, every track.
  45. MichelleK
    Apr 13, 2007
    Probably one of the best albums i own. Its absolutely awesome. EVERYONE should have it
  46. michaelk.
    Jul 13, 2007
    This album is amazing
  47. nickfi
    Jul 15, 2007
    you know any good album takes a few listens to get used to and anyone who didn't give this a ten obviously did not give it the time of day. this is a breathtakingly simple and absolutely amazing album. possibly the best album of the new millennium. this is an absolutely essential album for anyone who is not deaf
  48. time
    Oct 26, 2007
    Still waiting for that comeback album. It felt like yesterday I was listening to Is This It on the Rodney on the Roq show. He created so much hype about this band and as always Rodney was right. The British version is the way the album was meant to sound and look. The artwork for the US version is lame. It's pathetic how conservative the music industry has gotten in edition to Still waiting for that comeback album. It felt like yesterday I was listening to Is This It on the Rodney on the Roq show. He created so much hype about this band and as always Rodney was right. The British version is the way the album was meant to sound and look. The artwork for the US version is lame. It's pathetic how conservative the music industry has gotten in edition to forcing them to substitute one of their best singles, "NY City Cops." The terrorists have won because the US release was so watered down. It's still a marvelous gem and I'll give the UK(the original) version a 10. Expand
  49. TimS
    Dec 4, 2007
    The best CD I've ever listened to.
  50. EddieEinarMrtnsnN
    Dec 9, 2007
    The best album of 2001. It's that simply when a band as the Strokes pulled out this excellent debut. Their street-smartness is greatly conceived through singer/songwriter Jules Casablancas' early-matured songwriting as he and the band swaggers throughout the 11 songs. They make the classic rock & roll cliche vital again; hey, just give Someday and Last Nite a listen dude.
  51. BlahB,
    Jan 22, 2008
    Three reasons why this album is a masterpiece: Not an ounce of filler on here. Resurrected indie for the masses. Ages well.
  52. BenF.
    Feb 14, 2009
    Teriffic. I loved it since I was nine. They bring some classic rock feel into this. One of my favorite music of all time.
  53. SebastianF.
    May 2, 2009
    Pure bliss to listen to.
  54. thegame
    May 7, 2009
    The album is purely amazing. sure it may not be the "definining" or music changing album that the media puts it out to be, but its regardless an extremely good album. Don't hate over the strokes over the hype- its not like they planned it all out?
  55. nasnou
    Jun 22, 2009
    The strokes neither started nor flaunted the hype, so why would it be their fault if they were hyped by the press? it still doesn't change that this album is solid, powerful and one of the greatest albums of the 2000's.
  56. KyleB.
    Aug 15, 2009
    Amazing first album for a band. The guitar playing the drumming, and the singing was excellent. Cheers Strokes and good luck on many more amazing albums.
  57. MichaelH.
    Aug 19, 2009
    Considering Is This It? is the debut album from hard indie rockers The Strokes, it's is absolutly amazing and incresdibly done. There isn't one song of the album that is dull or boring, each song is individual and yet works together beautifully to create a piece of exceptional music.
  58. DougG
    Aug 24, 2009
    Stunning Debut
  59. ChristinaR.
    Jan 7, 2002
    There is nothing like a ride in the Pacific Ocean full speed listening to Last Night, Hard to Explain etc etc. They've got it right and I hope they keep it coming! The next Mick? Well I was born too late for Mick and too soon for Julian but a girl can dream...
  60. MickJones
    Jun 23, 2002
    Caveat: this album will literally rock your balls off. Also recommended: the Hives Veni Vidi Vicious Pussy Rock (Creed, Staind, Linkin Park) is officially out. Rock and Roll is back.
  61. Jen
    May 14, 2002
    I would have rated higher, but it wasn't an option. This album Rocks!! Not to Mention, the guys are super hot
  62. LolitaT.
    Feb 19, 2002
    Other bands may exist that are just like the strokes, but arn't nearly as good. they make it a purpose to sound good and emotional, not differant. every instrument was played with intellagent and power. the bass lines, simple yet perfectly genious. the guitar, full of passion and pure rock. the drums, something old yet so catchy. vocals, who can say no to casablancas voice, listen to Other bands may exist that are just like the strokes, but arn't nearly as good. they make it a purpose to sound good and emotional, not differant. every instrument was played with intellagent and power. the bass lines, simple yet perfectly genious. the guitar, full of passion and pure rock. the drums, something old yet so catchy. vocals, who can say no to casablancas voice, listen to the last song on the album and you will know what i mean. Expand
  63. MollyW.
    Jul 1, 2002
    This cd is so awesome. Finally, my desires for the perfect band have come true. I listen to this CD like everyday... and I still haven't otten tired of it. My favorite song is Barely Legal. Julian Casablanca's voice is so wonderful.. Its like the best voice ever. I could listen to it alll day. His voice is so sexy!!! I don't get to hear it as much as i'd like to This cd is so awesome. Finally, my desires for the perfect band have come true. I listen to this CD like everyday... and I still haven't otten tired of it. My favorite song is Barely Legal. Julian Casablanca's voice is so wonderful.. Its like the best voice ever. I could listen to it alll day. His voice is so sexy!!! I don't get to hear it as much as i'd like to because the retarded stations in Orlando play korn all day. I swear, one time I was like in the car and they played korn like 3 times in a two hour period. Guess how many times they played the strokes? None. Korn sucks... maybe when people realize that the Strokes will get the attention they deserve. Expand
  64. JamieM.
    Jul 8, 2002
    The best new band around in years, they will enjoy a great, long, decorated (at some point, they got snubbed this year) career. Is This It is one of the best rock albums I've ever had to pleasure of listening to.
  65. AhniB
    Feb 27, 2003
    The strokes are bad ass!!!!! Enough said!
  66. avaadore
    Nov 15, 2001
    amazing...this cd is a lifechanger...best album ive heard in YEARS...every single song on it is absolutly perfect... thank god for the strokes!
  67. Luna
    Dec 3, 2001
    Julian.... I have extremely intense feelings for you.... I have to seriously stop looking at your pictures because it gets too overwhelming. You have this nonchalant rebelliousness...
  68. JohnK.
    Dec 4, 2001
    Finally an album with some attitude. Finally an album with some sack, some balls, some cajones. Every song is quality. Retune your ears if you don't like it.
  69. Sunshine
    Dec 12, 2001
    the strokes hold their own,period. but at a time when overprocessed junk is seen as gold it is so refreshing to see something beautiful like this. thank you julian.
  70. LizaB.
    Dec 18, 2001
    Best album of 2001 and 2002. cant wait for the next one
  71. ClaireB.
    Apr 4, 2002
    This album hasn't left my cd player. It's marvelous!
  72. maryamK
    Nov 19, 2002
    The strokes are the best band of all time! they are so talented and have a lot going for them! they r the best band to come out since the doors. and for those people(aaron,jd and andrew) who gave it bad reviews, you guys dont know what u r talking about!! the strokes are fucking awsome!
  73. JoeyK.
    Mar 30, 2010
    Is this it, the debut album of the Strokes, is a testament to its time, still probably the greatest "indie" album to be created (for what its worth, it still has major influence) in all major venues of the alternative music industry, and to that "Is This It." receives the 10 it deserves.
  74. StevenW.
    Apr 12, 2010
    Easily one of the greatest albums of the decade. By itself it kick started the garage rock revival and indie rock breakthrough of the early 21st century. Is This It transformed mainstream music from teen pop and rap into urban dwelling youngsters playing guitars. Without this there will absolutely be no Arctic Monkeys, the Libertines, the Vines, Kings of Leon, or any other skinny jean Easily one of the greatest albums of the decade. By itself it kick started the garage rock revival and indie rock breakthrough of the early 21st century. Is This It transformed mainstream music from teen pop and rap into urban dwelling youngsters playing guitars. Without this there will absolutely be no Arctic Monkeys, the Libertines, the Vines, Kings of Leon, or any other skinny jean wearing, myspace promoting indie band. Love it or hate it but never question its influence and impact on music. Expand
  75. Sep 16, 2010
    my most favorite album of all time. solid from start to finish, one of the best albums to come out of the aughts. absolutely perfect, even in it's imperfections.
  76. Sep 18, 2010
    An album for the ages. A thoroughly enjoyable album to listen through, mellow vibes issue from the speakers and deep lyricism interplays with masterful guitar solos and solid melody as you drift into the zone.
  77. Oct 23, 2010
    Nothing bad can be said about this album. The Strokes helped revive garage rock and brought back utter coolness to the genre. Catchy song one after another, with Julian Casablancas' pure rock voice combined with Albert Hammond Jr.'s excellent guitar playing.
  78. Feb 23, 2011
    I fell in love with this album after the first listen. Amazing vocals, tight song structure, amazing guitar and a chugging back beat; it's almost perfect. The strokes managed to bring back the groove, feeling and melody of 70's rock back to the 21st century. The strokes brought that rawness and soul into music, something that seems to be lacking in most music today. Not only that, theyI fell in love with this album after the first listen. Amazing vocals, tight song structure, amazing guitar and a chugging back beat; it's almost perfect. The strokes managed to bring back the groove, feeling and melody of 70's rock back to the 21st century. The strokes brought that rawness and soul into music, something that seems to be lacking in most music today. Not only that, they managed to jump start a whole new rock revival in the process, influencing countless bands. A simply essential and classic record. Expand
  79. Mar 3, 2011
    "is this it?" is fantastic. truly a landmark album of our generation. its so nonchalant but somehow through the apathy true brilliance is found. yes each song has a similar sound, but they are not the same. additionally, why would you change up the sound when it is good to begin with
  80. Mar 26, 2011
    The only bad thing that could possibly be said about this album is that it's fairly formulaic, with the same verse-bridge-chorus-verse-bridge-chorus-bridge-chorus etc for most of the songs.
    But that doesn't stop them being great songs on a great album. There's no filler here.
    The definitive indie rock album
  81. Mar 30, 2011
    This is one of the MUST HAVE albums of the 00s. Too bad their latest albums isn't kicking like this. I hate the fact I have to type 150 characters right now.
  82. Apr 6, 2011
    Fantastic. Each song makes me happy. One of the best albums of the past decade (perhaps the best) and one of the 500 best albums in the history of music.
  83. Apr 23, 2011
    Is This It, along with Origin of Symmetry (Muse), and American Idiot (Green Day) are for me, the 3 biggest rock albums of the 00's, although they come from different ends of the rock spectrum they all share a resemblance in how they changed the genre, is this it is not a perfect album, it just has no flaws.
  84. May 5, 2011
    One of my all time favorite albums and one of the reasons for my giant appreciation and fascination for music. Its sheer simplicity and charismatic take on rock just astonishes me. Compelling and fun lyrics, fantastic composition, great production and it truly feels like it's an album that time traveled from the 1970's.
  85. May 26, 2011
    The Strokes first album starts off with a bang with the song that shares the name with the album title, "Is This It?". After that, every song stays consistent with there signature poppy, fun, catchy Strokes sound that never ceases to amaze. This album definitetly lives up to its hype and will be a classic for ages to come with hit singles, "Last Night", "Someday", "Hard To Explain" andThe Strokes first album starts off with a bang with the song that shares the name with the album title, "Is This It?". After that, every song stays consistent with there signature poppy, fun, catchy Strokes sound that never ceases to amaze. This album definitetly lives up to its hype and will be a classic for ages to come with hit singles, "Last Night", "Someday", "Hard To Explain" and "The Modern Age". Two thumbs up! Expand
  86. Jun 12, 2011
    Without a doubt, probably the best album of the decade. In one word : flawless. Simple and complex at the same time, only the Strokes can do this. Unforgettable lyrics and melodies.
  87. Jun 29, 2011
    This album is the greatest Rock album ever produced. Every song has an a amazing guitar riff, powerful bass lines, and the singer Julian Casablancas has the best voice I have heard in a long time.
  88. Jul 13, 2011
    Yes, The Strokes are impressive and superb. Great quality rock is here, the voice is outstanding . Marked the history and changed and improved the classic genre .
  89. Aug 9, 2011
    Forgetting all the hype, Jules, Nikolai, Fab, Albert and Nick did start a new age in rock. Every Indy band of the past decade can owe their success to this album. 11 simple short songs. All pure garage rock. This album is incredible
  90. Nov 6, 2011
    A fantastic album. This is a good enjoyable rock album, the best of The Strokes. It's not completely groundbreaking, but listening to this album is well worth it, from the opening track "Is This It", to the ending track "Take It Or Leave It", you will not be disappointed, unless you think The Strokes are some sort of legends.
  91. Nov 15, 2011
    The beggining of this century brought this pearl that revived indie-rock again. We see the genious Julian Casablancas working with power songs, lyrics, and even better stylish for the rock of this time. The indie bands should get more along with this kind of rock, one of the bests. Marvelous.
  92. Nov 15, 2011
    AMAZING! That's really all I can call this album. Every song is worth multiple listens. The highlights of this album are definitely the title song, "The Modern Age", "Barely Legal", "Alone, Together", "Last Nite" "New York City Cops", "When It Started", and "Take it or Leave it." Dedicate an hour or two to this album, and it will be pure bliss.
  93. Jan 30, 2012
    Awesome album and a must any for any music fan.
    Favorite tracks: Hard to Explain, someday, trying your luck, the modern age, last nite.
    Also, its a shame new york city cops had to be removed from the US release, although WHEN IT STARTED is a decent track, NYC is much more entertaining.
  94. Feb 7, 2012
    Love this album, so catchy, one of the best rock albums ever but that's what it is, a rock album, an album about youth and they have captured that essence incredibly.
  95. Jun 19, 2012
    "Is This It" has gone down as one of the best albums of the 15 years and, in my opinion, one of the best alternative rock albums of all time. Songs like "Someday" and "Hard to Explain" contain some of the most catchy and feel-good hooks I have ever heard, while others like the title track and "Alone, Together" contain a more authentic sound the Strokes can now call their own. Each song is"Is This It" has gone down as one of the best albums of the 15 years and, in my opinion, one of the best alternative rock albums of all time. Songs like "Someday" and "Hard to Explain" contain some of the most catchy and feel-good hooks I have ever heard, while others like the title track and "Alone, Together" contain a more authentic sound the Strokes can now call their own. Each song is different, but brilliant guitar melodies and Julian Casablancas' unique vocals remain constant throughout the album (with a bit of **** as well). And when Casablancas' vocals are at their most emotive and strongest (like on "Someday" and "Last Nite"), the Strokes pump out some of the best (upbeat or not) rock tracks of the last 15 years. Expand
  96. Jul 21, 2012
    The Strokes' debut album is amazing! Jules Casablanca (lead vocals) provides a natural Lo-Fi sound, which is addictive to listen to. I can't think of a single track from the album I don't thoroughly enjoy. Recommend! Favorite tracks: Hard to Explain, Take It or Leave It, Barely Legal (yet every song has its singularity and fantastic element about it)
  97. Oct 30, 2012
    The album is indeed a great raw alternative rock experience. There are no weak tracks well, maybe, Trying Your Luck, for it is my least favorite but it is still a solid good album. I really like the rhythm of the guitar and the charisma the band gives. The lyrics are simply about observations in their lives but still are great because it is written well into the songs.
  98. Dec 23, 2012
    Simply put- The best album of the last decade.
    Simply put- The best album of the last decade.
    The Strokes begin the album on a mellow note with the Title Track- Is This It, which delves deep into the urban scene. All the tracks are rock solid and feature some of the best hooks ever made in rock and roll, with my favorites being Last Nite, Barely Legal and Hard to explain. If you are a rock n roll fan, and you haven't listened to Is this it, then its a shame.
  99. Apr 7, 2013
    "Is This It?" is without a doubt one of the most influential records of the last decade, and is outstanding from beginning to end. Forget any preconceived notion you have of The Strokes and ignore the hype many people think of when listening to them. What you're left with is 36 minutes of pure, laid-back rock. Despite the nonchalance, exemplified by the coarse garage rock sound and Julian"Is This It?" is without a doubt one of the most influential records of the last decade, and is outstanding from beginning to end. Forget any preconceived notion you have of The Strokes and ignore the hype many people think of when listening to them. What you're left with is 36 minutes of pure, laid-back rock. Despite the nonchalance, exemplified by the coarse garage rock sound and Julian Casablancas' easy going voice, the album actually displays a great deal of depth, and not just "catchiness". Each of the five members' significant contributions can easily be identified in every song; the sounds just all mesh together so well that they sound simple, and the album overall sounds homogeneous. Fabrizio's drums set a clear tone for each song and pack more emotion than one would expect (see "Hard to Explain" or "Trying Your Luck"). The rhythm is the job of Nikolai Fraiture, who holds the band together out of the limelight. Albert Hammond Jr. and Nick Valensi work together to produce intensely refreshing guitar riffs; their solos create tension only to resolve it moments later in an apprehensively satisfying manner. Finally, Julian Casablancas leads the band with indifferent yet confident vocals, which make the album so much more approachable. He sings mainly of relationships, though the lyrics don't mean that much. One song even seems to be about a fictitious drug from Aldous Huxley's "Brave New World." Ultimately, it's an album that everyone should hear, and is easily one of the greatest of all time. Expand
  100. Oct 7, 2013
    "Is This It?" is any bands dream debut album. This album is flawless, bringing in a new style of indie/alt rock that's still easily recognizable. This album truly reestablished the rock genre, and every song is as catchy and tasty as the next. The Strokes debut album is a landmark.

Simply put, Strokes have every quality rock'n'roll requires from its finest exponents and Is This It is where they come together.
  2. Able to make the timeworn themes of sex, drugs, and rock & roll and the basic guitars-drum-bass lineup seem new and vital again, the Strokes may or may not be completely arty and calculated, but that doesn't prevent Is This It? from being an exciting, compulsively listenable debut...
    Their album is little more than thirty minutes and eleven versions of the same song. But damn if that one song isn't a good one.