6.9

Review this album

1. Dec 6, 2011
    After hearing "Oildale (Leave Me Alone), my expectations grew huge. I liked the previous album much, so the first single off "Korn III" gave me the view the band is going to give their fans something unforgettable. Unfortunately, where my delight had started, it's also where it ended. Two first tracks gave me the feeling of truly getting back to Korn's roots - well, I don't enjoy suchAfter hearing "Oildale (Leave Me Alone), my expectations grew huge. I liked the previous album much, so the first single off "Korn III" gave me the view the band is going to give their fans something unforgettable. Unfortunately, where my delight had started, it's also where it ended. Two first tracks gave me the feeling of truly getting back to Korn's roots - well, I don't enjoy such promises myself, as I think the band should evolve in time, like its members do. But this time Korn didn't go forward at all, and even made a small step backwards. The more I tried to empathize with the music presented on "Korn III", the more I was disappointed. I gave it another try, and another, though after a several hearings, I still can call a good song no more than three or four of them. Band's mania about going oldchool again made them simplify their music, not beckon their roots. The album is well produced as it comes to sound quality, but here it ends. The new drummer is also a kind of improvement to the band, as his amazing skills are frequently heard over the new songs. A great disappointment upon the vocals and lyrics result from Jonathan Davis' exhaustion or just lack of new ideas. Emotions included in songs are far from being real, that's quite a shame, as I considered Jonathan's ability of including them into his singing as near to perfect. Not this time, sadly. The last thing, is album's dullness - as it contains great moments, one of the darkest in the band's history ("Are You Ready to Live?", "Trapped Underneath the Stairs"), most of the songs are boring and incredibly fake. Expand
  2. Feb 20, 2012
    Perhaps a prime example of too little, too late. Korn returns to what they know best, but the lack of authenticity shows. However, tracks like 'Oildale' and especially the great 'Let the Guilt Go' show the band can still pump out a couple of brilliant tracks among the murky filler that has plagued their later releases.
  3. Aug 21, 2010
    Apathetic, dull and flat out ....well flat. Where is the band that sounded like they wanted to snap your neck, burn a house and gta your car? True founds will find the snippets here that are good but it's not an album for anyone that hasn't heard this band before. I've never been a big fan of bands taking too much time in between albums but I think that is what this crew needs.

1. As painful and draining Korn III undoubtedly must have been to create, there's no doubt that it re-asserts the quartet's status as one of metal's most innovative bands. [10 Jul 2010, p.50]
    Their formula--downtuned guitar, chunky rhythms, serial killer vocals--is proven, but ugly enough that it'll only resonate with fans. [Sep 2010, p.96]
  3. On Korn III: Remember Who You Are, the band has jumped back to the sound and attitude that made it famous - if without particularly inspired tunes - and Mr. Davis, almost 40, seems to have regained some of his younger self as a lyricist.