Lightning Bolt - Pearl Jam
8.0

Review this album

1. Oct 15, 2013
    Once a great rock band, Pearl Jam has settled into a pattern of retreaded guitar riffs, middling songwriting and FM soft rock theatrics. There's really no reason to revisit this album; it's simply an expression of a band merely existing to pay the bills and to relive the glory days. But we'll always have the live shows and "Vitalogy."
  2. Oct 19, 2013
    The most generic rock record I've heard in a long time. Pearl Jam actually sound like a band with families, two cars and a mortgage. They're like a band of dads that get together in their board shorts on Sundays in Eddie's garage and dusts off their instruments.
  3. Dec 20, 2013
    As a huge PJ-fan since 1994 it almost hurts to say this, but this album is really boring! The last time they had any fire in them was 2006's Avocado-album, but ever since they seem to have lost it.
    Backspacer was rescued a little bit thanks to 'The end' and 'Just breathe', but gems like that are absent on L.B..

Don't get me wrong, they'll probably never make a really bad album. I'm
    just afraid that they're turning into a band that just releases an album to have an excuse to go on tour again.

In the nineties they tried to reinvent themselves over and over because they didn't want to be one of those boring radio friendly rockbands. Now that's just what they're becoming.
  4. Oct 17, 2013
    Not even close to some of Pearl Jam's best work

A really lazy effort .Ten,Vs.,Vitalogy and even latter works like Riot Act are better then this album
  5. Feb 12, 2014
    I disagree that this is everything a Pearl Jam fan could hope for. Specifically, a PJ fan could hope for growth, or a fan could hope for the same angst/cutting edge that made so many fans in the preceding decades. I feel this album is tired and the boys i once loved so much ('91-2002) are now just grasping at straws of what USED to rock. "Ooh, now a keyboard plays rhythm chords alongside the guitars, awesome." Hardly. If the best I can say is that half of these songs would've/could've been left on the Yield/Binaural cutting room floor, maybe that's where they should've stayed. I'm sure they're giving it their all, and more power to them, but i'm not interested. To me, this is Pearl Jam in name only. Expand

1. Dec 19, 2013
    The problem is that Pearl Jam at this point is just repeating itself--or others.
  2. Dec 18, 2013
    Lightning Bolt is only more competent than Foo Fighters, Vedder and Co.'s rival for the planet's straightest rock band. [No. 105, p.57]
  3. Dec 4, 2013
    Lightning Bolt finds Pearl Jam sounding more comfortable in its collective skin and with its collective influences than perhaps even before. [Nov-Dec 2013, p.92]