Lights - Ellie Goulding
8.2

Review this album

1. Nov 21, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Lights is an amazing pop album...pure, deep and smart with the gentle voice of Ellie
    Great melodies like The Writer and Guns and Horses, the smash Under The Sheets and the sassy Starry Eyed with a real electropop and synthpop (not Gaga)! and a mix of indie pop or folk...very creative!
    Ellie is the new girl who comes to refresh and illuminate the pop scene!
  2. Sep 5, 2010
    Lights is truly a beautiful album with many great songs. My favourites are Starry Eyed, Guns And Horses, Under The Sheets and I'll Hold My Breath. If you can, get the albums on iTunes, because this version includes the song Lights, which is a must-have!
  3. Apr 27, 2012
    Ellie Goulding's debut album is strong in it's own way. The lyrics are as charming as her tender voice and the production is also consistent. Strong recommendations for Starry Eyed, The Writer, This Love and Everytime You Go.
  4. Mar 6, 2011
    Ellie has a great voice, and is as gd as Adele or Jessie, but has to write more songs about herself, anyway, this is a great album, keep going, Ellie!!
  5. Aug 3, 2011
    I thoroughly enjoyed this album. She has such a unique sound. It's a shame that she hasn't caught on here in America, because more people should know who she is. At a time when pop music is becoming so generic and auto-tuned, it's really refreshing to hear something original from a talented artist.
  6. Aug 31, 2011
    Ellie here blends folk and electro-pop so good, it sounds like a new genre but in a good way. Very diverse and the lyrics are very mature and folk-y and strong. Her voice is un-human is a good way! All the songs are strong and fit with each other perfectly. It's rare finding an album where all the tracks are good and has no fillers. One of 2010's best and needs to be discovered inEllie here blends folk and electro-pop so good, it sounds like a new genre but in a good way. Very diverse and the lyrics are very mature and folk-y and strong. Her voice is un-human is a good way! All the songs are strong and fit with each other perfectly. It's rare finding an album where all the tracks are good and has no fillers. One of 2010's best and needs to be discovered in America! Some stand outs are This Love (Will Be Your Downfall), Starry Eyed, Salt Skin, and Wish I Stayed Expand
  7. Nov 14, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. asdsbgshbhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhnbbbbbbvdsghjhgkfgfhgfghdfgfgdhgfnhdfkgbshgdfgmnf,lnhjhkl,gfkjgnbnkjfdfkjsfnhkjnkgjh Expand
  8. Sep 9, 2012
    I discovered that album just lately on a trip to the big apple. It's been 4 weeks and i have to say i hardly listened to anything else since. Ellie has a beautiful voice, but the way she uses it is what got me in the first place. It's the little things, the arrangements, the geeky/dance samples, the way she uses all the moving variations that makes that Ep truly great. Lights was the firstI discovered that album just lately on a trip to the big apple. It's been 4 weeks and i have to say i hardly listened to anything else since. Ellie has a beautiful voice, but the way she uses it is what got me in the first place. It's the little things, the arrangements, the geeky/dance samples, the way she uses all the moving variations that makes that Ep truly great. Lights was the first track i got to discover, with its catchy tones and mesmerizing rhythm. But as usual with great Eps, some other tracks quickly got my attention. Not the obvious Elton John cover (which gives a new spin on an old timeless classic i happen to love). Ellie has the gift to produce graphic sensations with her lyrics on the most common things, getting you to experience them in a colorful and sensible way. The writing, singing and music come together in a complex but easy to follow way that is both hypnotic and remarkable. Often i pondered on the way the rhythm is done, and was amazed at the work that was created on its simple complexity. There was obviously a lot of work into this, but it didn't overshadow the heart of it. Truly a work of art that 'll be hard to top, but i wish she does it again with the second Ep that's coming out shortly. Not that i can get enough of that one. My picks : I'd recommend listening to "Under the sheets", "Wish I Stayed", "Salt Skin", "Your biggest mistake" and "Little Dreams". Expand
  9. Jul 18, 2014
    Surprisingly outstanding, this album manages to find a perfect balance between a classy electro-pop and a well-crafted indie-folk style: one coudn't imagine a more impressive debut album.

1. Dec 19, 2011
    Goulding is able to take the best parts of all of her contemporaries' styles and make them her own, coating everything in the breathy flutter of her voice.
  2. Mar 14, 2011
    Goulding's crackling voice is capable of affecting a prostrate pose in the midst of the swirl that suggests the latter's folk-tinged vulnerability.
    The result is that most of what makes Goulding's work appealing, such as her voice and instrumentation, is lost underneath generic synthesizers that turn these songs into standard pop fare.