• Record Label: Barsuk
  • Release Date: Feb 5, 2008
8.4

Review this album

1. Aug 11, 2011
    I admit that I loved the mid 90s song "Popular," but I cared little about the album 'High/Low.' I tried giving them a second chance by ordering 'The Proxmity Effect,' but to my dismay, I was told that my order was cancelled since the album would not be released. I figured they would fade into obscurity at that point. Much to my surprise, several years later and they have released a fewI admit that I loved the mid 90s song "Popular," but I cared little about the album 'High/Low.' I tried giving them a second chance by ordering 'The Proxmity Effect,' but to my dismay, I was told that my order was cancelled since the album would not be released. I figured they would fade into obscurity at that point. Much to my surprise, several years later and they have released a few more albums, in my opinion, each one better than the last. For me, 'Lucky' is about as good as it gets. It's hard for me to listen to this and come out feeling down, or to feel like I was taken on an overly exhausting musical journey. It's cautiously optimistic and lighthearted enough for you to just play it through without getting too emotionally bogged down. Yet, it definitely engages you, makes you think and more importantly, makes you feel. It's kind of an exhilarating experience, and although it may have to grow on you a bit, it's really hard to be dissappointed with this great effort. I will let you peruse the critic reviews for more detailed comments, but the standout tracks for me are "See These Bones," "The Fox," and "Beautiful Beat." Expand

1. While Nada Surf is only a trio, in the studio it stacks up guitars and vocals, multiplying Mr. Caws’s thin voice into a dreamy or determined chorale.
  2. Nada Surf have matured into a strong enough band to make an album like Lucky, which is full of such existential hand-wringing and one of the year's first great pop records.
  3. While never unpleasant, Lucky represents a slowdown from the roll Nada Surf has been on.